• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Beta and Information Thread [Open Beta Live Now]

Tain

Sorry if this was covered earlier, but if you have a bunch of accepted client orders for the same quest, does the game just pick a client order at random for you?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Got in and got to level 5 + finished quest right before maint!

Does finishing a quest give you anything? Chance at those rare rewards?
After finishing a quest and warping back to your ship area I have 100/100 Points. Do I do anything with those?

Many thanks.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sorry if this was covered earlier, but if you have a bunch of accepted client orders for the same quest, does the game just pick a client order at random for you?
You do them all at once, but some of them have requirements like bringing a specific NPC and doing it with them under a time limit. What is weird, you get the timer for that, even if you don't have the NPC with you.

It appears, that the hard mode isn't hard at all. At least not harder than doing those quests for the first time. Too bad you have to be lv 25 for the second volcano quest onward and all the free exploration ones require lv 30.

Screenshots time! 7 more added to the PSO2 minus album. Most of them are from yesterday's boss rush for the hard mode CO.
Thanks to Twentytwo, Anitaki and Khrim for the few hours of sheer fun.
ibvKfxvDtvyQDd.jpg

Desert level boss. Easiest of the three free exploration bosses.

ibogYAnJteyIqw.jpg

Some hot MAG action.

i1Gs3KYEOpuQA.jpg

Boss frozen with Freeze1 on my weapon. Didn't know it was possible.

ib0gJqj2BPU1A1.jpg

Double MAG summoning during the hard mode Dagan hunt.
One more thing about Mags. Feeding them items gives a boost to 2 stats - one gains exp fast and one slowly. After my Mag reached lv 64 and one of his stats hit level 50, the amount of exp received per item went down to the amount that the "slow" stat receives.
Reaching lv 100 won't be as easy as I thought...

apricot

Third day of trying to download the patches, this is driving me insane. I can't believe it starts from the beginning every single time!

The progress meter doesn't give any indication how large the updates are, does anyone have any idea? That might help me gauge how much time I need to allot tomorrow (mooching off university wifi ftw)

I've also gotten a couple of errors halfway through the update process, something about the folder not being allocated to the right place? Has anyone seen this before? I'll screenshot it if it pops up again.

Are there really any client orders with conflicting goals? The ones I've been doing seem pretty compatible with each other.

Third day of trying to download the patches, this is driving me insane. I can't believe it starts from the beginning every single time!

The progress meter doesn't give any indication how large the updates are, does anyone have any idea? That might help me gauge how much time I need to allot tomorrow (mooching off university wifi ftw)

I've also gotten a couple of errors halfway through the update process, something about the folder not being allocated to the right place? Has anyone seen this before? I'll screenshot it if it pops up again.

Might want to try just downloading the entire data folder from another source, like the one quoted here:

If for some reason you need to reinstall the game, I'd just download the nearly 5 gb folder, copy it to the Sega folder, and run the launcher again (got the file from PSO-world):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_QzBMicjmQwRS10SkcyaEh4NXM/edit

Saved me a lot of time when I was trying to setup the game at my cousin's PC (and I had time to do a quick forest run before I had to leave).

I'm loving weak bullet for my ranger. I just need to figure out how to make it work consistently. Sometimes it activates, sometimes it doesn't. But doing nearly 4-digit damage is so glorious.

I managed to get S-rank free forest due to a pubbie hacking. The character can move and attack extremely fast, killed every single mob that spawned, and killed the rockbear in less than a minute as a level 8. Weird to see, but I needed caves and was willing to go along for the ride.

Finally did some things today:
-Evolved my mag, cute little bugger
-Completed the desert areas and will attempt to S-Rank them later (the one with the drills is gonna be a bitch to do)
-Figured out how weak bullet works (you have to shoot a particular area after activating it)
-Found out that you can only activate one quest at a time for the matter board, so now I'm *slowly* completing it

I have a license exam coming up, plus job-hunting, plus working out at 2 in the morning. Sorry guys, looks like I have to cut down on my daily 4-6 hour marathons. =/

I'm so clueless on this mag thing. When does it learn the first PB? I think I fucked it up already. I'm just feeding it Hunter equips raising the attack stats. :| Don't know about the stats like in PSO.

I'm so clueless on this mag thing. When does it learn the first PB? I think I fucked it up already. I'm just feeding it Hunter equips raising the attack stats. :| Don't know about the stats like in PSO.

It learns it's first PB at level 30, that's the first and only evolution in Open Beta I believe.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Level 30. Each stat level equals one mag level.
Cisce, there's a second one on 100 afair.

That desert boss is really easy. Then again, coming after the Vol Dragon is a tough act to follow. I'm kinda disappointed that he doesn't appear on the field though.

Reknoc

I get a Gameguard error occasionally, but it works after trying again.

Unlocked the caves today, cool guy ran us through it and told us how to make it so you only fought the one boss in a party.

ShadiWulf

I told him do a file check, 3rd option on the launcher, and that seemed to fix the error he was getting.

Damn it, it's taking forever to update my PSO2 client, I think I'll pass out before it's done.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If you can write in Japanese and have any opinions/things you'd like to be changed in PSO2, be sure to send an inquiry via this form. Writing about the English version isn't advised, as I'm sure they know how many foreign IPs are playing, just by looking at the connections to Ship 2.

I myself wrote about a timer for COs with specific NCPs, which is shown even if the NPC isn't your only party member, ie. you've failed from the get-go. Don't think a timer's necessary in that case.
Also, a bug report - when buying CO items from My Shop, the green icon showing finished CO doesn't pop up above the NPC's head.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Servers back

I'm hearing about getting better drops/meseta. But I don't know how to activate it lol. I got it my first time at level 15 around. :/
As per internets:

PSE are minor field events which give you bonuses like elemental attack or drop rates. If you get them high enough you can achieve a PSE Burst which has rapid enemy spawning and drop rates for at least one minute. PSE Bursts can be extended, can chain into each other and can go a second time. We aren't sure of the exact mechanics but the more people on a field and the faster you kill the better. Making 3 parties and joining each others multiparty map is the best way to go about it. This is an excellent way to hunt rares or just stock things to sell or gain exp.

Photon Sensitive Effects (PSE) and PSE Bursts

Probably one of the coolest, yet most confusing additions to PSO are PSEs. Photon Sensitive Effects are buffs that are earned while killing enemies in a multi-party instance. They are signified by a ray of light emitted from the enemy, then a light aura that surrounds the player. The type of PSE can be told by the light ray.

Yellow: Usually PSE Meseta Drop UP and lightning buffs. This'll boost the Meseta you get from drops. Looks like XX+Y

Blue: Ice elemental buffs.

Red: Experience UP and Dark/Fire elemental buffs.

These buffs last for about a minute, unless you earn the PSE again, which'll level up the buff and reset the counter.

The probability of triggering a PSE is an unknown fixed amount. It seems to be often enough.

PSE Bursts occur when a Photon Sensitive Effect levels to MAX. At that point it triggers an event where you have a minute with extremely raised enemy spawns and drop rates. A few things can occur here to increase the time of the PSE Burst.

Cross Burst - This gives you the most time, but can only be triggered in the beginning. Cross Bursts happen when you max out a few PSEs in succession. Each Cross Burst seems to give you a minute and change.

ONE MORE - an event that can occur at the end of the PSE Burst. It is unknown how to trigger this but it seems like it relates to killing enemies. This'll give you an extra minute to kill which after that ends will either end the Burst or give you another minute

Time Bonuses - These occur during the entire boost, either granting +10 or +20 seconds. These seem to be triggered by earning PSEs in the Burst, unsure about this though.

PSE Bursts generate a lot of items, it's really good for earning Meseta or possibly dropping that rare drop you're looking for.

Another factor that is uncertain at the moment is that after A long PSE/Cross Burst, it is significantly harder to trigger PSEs.

PSE Burst Farming aka Burst Parties

When you reach the max level of CBT, there isn't much to do. So try out Burst Parties. These are highly coordinated Multiparties to try and farm PSE Bursts/figure out the mechanics to trigger them. So far this is how Burst Parties are being ran.

Running in 4-4-4. Right now we're running with the theory that NPCs negate PSEs. We ran a 4-4-4-4-4-4 group, every party with 2 NPCs, and it seemed hard to earn PSEs, whereas the Party after that, 4-4-4, a PSE Burst was triggered in the first 2 minutes.

Sticking together. All 3 parties mob rush through the area instead of splitting. This is an idea being worked on, but mobbing seems to be effective.

One Element Only. This one is way in the testing phases, but we're trying out if it's easier to trigger Burst if everyones on the Same Element. Weapon or Spell. The theory is that when we kill, it'll take in account the element that you kiled the enemy with and either give a PSE for that or one of the Meseta Drop/etc. PSEs. Focus on one, trigger more Bursts faster? We'll find out.

Sephon

I need to play this game this evening, but won't do it solo.

So if there's any close to lvl 11 people playing tonight around 18 CET (in 8 hours from now) get yourself known!

- svinto/sephon (oh yeah, wrong username in the OT, my charname is Sephon but somehow my username became svinto)

wwm0nkey

I'm not going to get one for a while.

Tips on how to get Bursts

A) When entering the mission area click on the ( ! ) icon on the left of the room to get NPC party members which will increase your killing rate

B) In the emergency mission find and stick with the other team/teams

wwm0nkey

Anyone know if they're going to add more areas after public release?

I would assume so, also forgot to mention the City area for the emergency mission.

Guessing we will see the rest of the areas and get a release date whenever they do one of those Steams again and I HOPE they also announce a NA/EU release as well since the PSU team is being moved to something else right now. (not saying its PSO2.......but its PSO2)

RSLAEV

A) When entering the mission area click on the ( ! ) icon on the left of the room to get NPC party members which will increase your killing rate

B) In the emergency mission find and stick with the other team/teams

So I'm assuming it's not bad form to just start running with a pack of players when you see one?

wwm0nkey

Are the levels randomly generated? I swear I've played identical map layouts many times

Yes all levels are randomly generated but use the same set pieces so sometimes you will probably think "I've been here before". I am guessing that they will be adding new set pieces as time goes on as well.

So I'm assuming it's not bad form to just start running with a pack of players when you see one?
Nope, if anything they will like the extra help and extra PSE.

Reknoc

I have to say the Caves look great. A part of me was still a little afraid that area design would end up going completely down the drain after Forest just like PSO.

wwm0nkey

I have to say the Caves look great. A part of me was still a little afraid that area design would end up going completely down the drain after Forest just like PSO.

What I really want to see/play is the area above the planets core, that would make for some really amazing platforming gameplay and just awesome looking areas.

Reknoc

What I really want to see/play is the area above the planets core, that would make for some really amazing platforming gameplay and just awesome looking areas.

Yea that'd be really cool. Wasn't the later Ruins areas in PSO a bit like that?

Jumping does add so many possibilities though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So 2 new areas? Not bad considering they will probably add more throughout 2013.
The snow zone was presented during the last PSO2 event in Akihabara but I don't think they gave us an exact date on that one.
Metro was mentioned in open beta news as something coming for the release so I guess we can expect it to hit sooner.

Reknoc

Can't wait for the snow area, they're always the best.

Shame footsteps sounds the same regardless of terrain :( *only person who cares*

wwm0nkey

Yea that'd be really cool. Wasn't the later Ruins areas in PSO a bit like that?

Jumping does add so many possibilities though.

It could be the one level to take full advantage of the jumping as the current ones dont really seem to use it to its full potential. Also they could have "traps" of the ground breaking underneath you or a whole mission of clear the enemies before the ground collapses. It would obviously be a high level area as it would be a HUGE risk level.

(SEGA really needs to do this....like right now)

Reknoc

It could be the one level to take full advantage of the jumping as the current ones dont really seem to use it to its full potential. Also they could have "traps" of the ground breaking underneath you or a whole mission of clear the enemies before the ground collapses. It would obviously be a high level area as it would be a HUGE risk level.

(SEGA really needs to do this....like right now)

Dunno if any later caves areas does this, but lava hopping would have been cool as well. What's good is, while PSO2 certainly has its fair share of some pretty nasty lag, it never messes with the controls, it doesn't stutter you or slingshot you back or at least it never has for me. So platforming would fit in rather well and be mostly frustration free.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Have you gotten it with NPC members? Some people think they hurt.

Mistle

When you finish a quest, what 2 things do you get points on? I'm trying to S rank the forest field quest and the first one is always under :(

If it's to do with killing enemies, then I guess you do have to go search and kill enemies, not just the ones that spawn in your path, to get S rank.

remz

When you finish a quest, what 2 things do you get points on? I'm trying to S rank the forest field quest and the first one is always under :(

If it's to do with killing enemies, then I guess you do have to go search and kill enemies, not just the ones that spawn in your path, to get S rank.

Kills and time

Top Bottom