• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Somebody made a complaint against me at my gym "for standing and staring at the mirror" after I completed a 380lbs Deadlift and then flipping my towel Joey Bats style.

mdsfx

This triathlon thing is starting to get real. I just purchased a wetsuit and transition bag. I have a little over 2 months until the first of four triathlons this year. If I can glide calmly through the swim portions I'll be golden. If I don't... god help me lol.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Watched an Interview with Arnold and he said you needed a date as a goal.

June 20th is the first day of summer, so I am going to cut until then. Just typing it here for some accountability

Been having issues trying to get my flat/incline bench numbers up. I typically try to aim for 5-6 reps of 115 and usually end up only hitting 4 reps or sometimes less. I sometimes do overhead press the same day as bench and I'm sure that effects it too. I would consider myself an ectomorph(6"0" and 153 lbs), and I have been seeing improvements in my squats and major improvements in my deadlifts over the last few months so it's been a bummer to see my bench go nowhere. Not really sure how I should be approaching it.

Edit: Also for my bench press form I always go for the full range of motion and bring it all the way down to my chest. Not sure if that's helping or hindering progress?

Somebody made a complaint against me at my gym "for standing and staring at the mirror" after I completed a 380lbs Deadlift and then flipping my towel Joey Bats style.

Hahahaha, honestly I have no qualms against anyone checking themselves in the mirror, as long as they move out of the way when someone needs the mirror for a lift then I see no problem at all.

ACE 1991

Gym was closed this morning for some water related incident. No one told me, so now I'm at work buggin' out on pre-workout. Ugh.

ACE 1991

Been having issues trying to get my flat/incline bench numbers up. I typically try to aim for 5-6 reps of 115 and usually end up only hitting 4 reps or sometimes less. I sometimes do overhead press the same day as bench and I'm sure that effects it too. I would consider myself an ectomorph(6"0" and 153 lbs), and I have been seeing improvements in my squats and major improvements in my deadlifts over the last few months so it's been a bummer to see my bench go nowhere. Not really sure how I should be approaching it.

Edit: Also for my bench press form I always go for the full range of motion and bring it all the way down to my chest. Not sure if that's helping or hindering progress?

Hahahaha, honestly I have no qualms against anyone checking themselves in the mirror, as long as they move out of the way when someone needs the mirror for a lift then I see no problem at all.

Are you gaining weight (.5lb-1lb/week?) 6'0 at 153 pounds is pretty light. More so than other lifts, in my opinion, bench goes up as your weight goes up pretty consistently.

What's your volume? How often are you doing bench, and how many total reps are you doing?

One thing you might try is do your 3 sets of 5 (or whatever you're going for) at the working weight, and if you come up short, go for an extra set (of however many reps you can do) to try to make up the volume, and/or take 10-20% off and do a couple of sets with higher reps going to failure (or near failure, if you don't have a spotter around). I would try this approach before deloading, as programs would suggest after a few consecutive failures to make progress.

I have also found with myself, I just need to do the exercise more often. Those programs might have you bench 3 times over 2 weeks, and I find that I just don't make as much progress that way, I do better when I'm doing it more often.

Are you gaining weight (.5lb-1lb/week?) 6'0 at 153 pounds is pretty light. More so than other lifts, in my opinion, bench goes up as your weight goes up pretty consistently.

I've been losing weight. Went from roughly 163 to 153.5 between beginning of Jan and now(None of my numbers have gone down during this time, most of my other lifts have gone up in numbers)

I've been attempting to do a Keto Diet on and off during this time(failing because of random drinking which I have committed to cutting out for all of April with my friends). I'm not sure if this is the issue or not but I feel like I was at a plateau even before I jumped on a Keto Diet.

What's your volume? How often are you doing bench, and how many total reps are you doing?

One thing you might try is do your 3 sets of 5 (or whatever you're going for) at the working weight, and if you come up short, go for an extra set (of however many reps you can do) to try to make up the volume, and/or take 10-20% off and do a couple of sets with higher reps going to failure (or near failure, if you don't have a spotter around). I would try this approach before deloading, as programs would suggest after a few consecutive failures to make progress.

I have also found with myself, I just need to do the exercise more often. Those programs might have you bench 3 times over 2 weeks, and I find that I just don't make as much progress that way, I do better when I'm doing it more often.

I'm not to sure what you mean by volume as I'm not too technically versed in all the gym lino. I usually do bench 1 to 2 times a week and I just aim to get as many reps of 35 as I can on 3 sets and sometimes do an extra set of 20 lbs just to wear out my chest. I don't always have a spotter unfortunately.

After nearly 12 weeks of Candito, I'm ready to move on to something else. I’m creating my own program that focuses on some of my weaknesses while also trying to maintain strength. This is just the first week. As it goes on (6 weeks), I think I will decrease some frequency and volume in order to create a 'peak.' What do you guys think?

CyeKA2W.png

I'm not to sure what you mean by volume as I'm not too technically versed in all the gym lino. I usually do bench 1 to 2 times a week and I just aim to get as many reps of 35 as I can on 3 sets and sometimes do an extra set of 20 lbs just to wear out my chest. I don't always have a spotter unfortunately.

Volume just means total reps. If you're stuck, and assuming you're eating right and getting enough sleep and controlling for other variables, then one way to push through is to get more volume. Increase total number of reps. This could be per workout, per week, whatever. Add a fourth set, add another bench day. Eventually, this should help you get the target number of reps in the target number of sets, which means you got stronger. Then increase the weight.

You said earlier that you're working with 115, and here you say 35 and 20. I assume these latter values means weight on both sides of the bar, putting you at 115 and 85. When does that 85 wear out your chest, as you said? If it's in the 8-10 rep range, that's OK. If you're going to 12-15 reps on a set, you'll want to increase the weight. Too much volume at too low intensity isn't doing much more than tiring you out, isn't really challenging your body to adapt except to build endurance. You want to make sure that you're getting tired productively.

Caveat emptor: I also struggle to make gains on bench, I'm only at 160 and haven't hit my 3 sets of 5 on them in my prior two workouts, so take my words with a grain of salt (there are certainly far more experienced lifters here) but I am following my own advice, which is based on advice of those much more knowledgeable than myself. I like Alan Thrall's YouTube channel, and he has several videos on plateauing. I usually start with this one.

I notice you follow up benching on Friday with more benching (albeit a slightly different type) on Saturday. Possibly not a good idea?

hm yeah that's a concern. I'm not sure how to fit in both strength and moderate/light form development, but my current justification is that the day before is high intensity, low volume, while the next day is low intensity, moderate volume. The possible soreness and weakness from the previous day could help with the deliberate, slow contractions I hope to achieve in the balance/form day.

I dunno - it's really difficult to find both conditioning and powerlifting programs, especially for women.

Holy shit you guys, I think I just noticed the downside of mixed grip deadlifting just today. Something seemed off so I looked in the mirror and there it was: The shoulder of my underhand grip arm hangs lower than the other side if I don't try to keep it up lmao.

Perhaps it's time to consider learning hook grip or using straps. Or becoming the hunchback of notre dame...

KillerBEA

Holy shit you guys, I think I just noticed the downside of mixed grip deadlifting just today. Something seemed off so I looked in the mirror and there it was: The shoulder of my underhand grip arm hangs lower than the other side if I don't try to keep it up lmao.

Perhaps it's time to consider learning hook grip or using straps. Or becoming the hunchback of notre dame...

I experienced this too so I switched to straps and doing grip work.

I have a 240lbs 220lb Military press lined-up for next Monday....if I pull it off, i will go through a full Hulk Hogan flexing routine.

velociraptor

This is why I always rotate between sets.

If I'm using hook grip, you guys can use hook grip. MTFU!

Unrelated, as of today my cut is over. Wouldn't normally post my weight, but some of you may be amused to find that I got as low as
59.3kg / 131lbs / 9st 5lbs.

This was clearly a step too far as whilst I might look shredded, I've lost a good chunk of muscle and I've felt like complete crap the last couple of weeks. Strength was dropping off in chunks the last couple of workouts and even my cycling suffered.

However, that's the last time I'll be doing anything like that (I really just wanted to see if it was possible) as now I'm switching (probably forever) to recomp dieting / very slow bulks in the winter.

i thought i gained weight these last few weeks. because it would mean i compensated my bench using the extra weight but i've been the same weight since i started but gained 5lbs more in bench so far.

KmA

I don't know what's going on like I just got 8 reps with 80 pound dumbbells for dumbbell press. But on bench I can barely do 8 reps at 155 😣 I think it might have something to do with my shoulders.

mdsfx

Unrelated, as of today my cut is over....

However, that's the last time I'll be doing anything like that (I really just wanted to see if it was possible) as now I'm switching (probably forever) to recomp dieting / very slow bulks in the winter.

This is where I ended up. If my goal was to add size I would be failing miserably right now. I'm happiest when I'm maintaining and I don't have any plans to bulk or cut again other than slight diet adjustments.

There's really no advantage for me to be big or massively strong, so there's no point in gaining the weight that would require. The key now will be having the energy to train effectively without putting on any significant amount of weight.

I've never really done recomp, but it has to be worth a go for a few months. My only concern is that I don't have rest days, so my lower calorie days will be on my turbo training days. But as it wont be a massive deficit I think I'll probably be OK.

I just wish that I could jump back to eating a normal amount, but common sense (and the science) says to work up slowly. Ironically I'll probably lose a bit more weight before I even out.

Are there any good athletic shoes that has a sturdy heel for squats? A guy I know has the Reebox Nano 7.0, but they're too expensive. I would like to spend around $60-$80.

Thanks.

LogicStep

Quest bars are the go to for you guys? I'm looking to buy some for preworkout snacks. Kinda lame how expensive these things are. Any other brands that are recommended?

Quest bars are the go to for you guys? I'm looking to buy some for preworkout snacks. Kinda lame how expensive these things are. Any other brands that are recommended?

I like Clif Bulder's Bars. I usually find them at Walmart. What I like best about them is that they have carbs and none of that artificial sweetener nonsense. Incidentally, from what I've read, they're also friendly for vegans (I'm not one), but they don't really make that part of their advertisement on it.

Yeah, they're tasty, but way too high in carbs for a "protein" bar.

Unrelated, I just signed up for the Precision Nutrition level 1 course. No real reason other than I've always found their articles / infographics particularly informative / helpful. Not planning on giving up my normal job and becoming a nutritionist / personal trainer. ;)

Y'all crazy. They're like 1.5:1 on carbs to protein.

I can't stand the way most protein bars or powders don't have real sugar. The least powders could do is not come sweetened at all, if that's the case, and let me add my own. If nothing else, I need those calories.

Y'all crazy. They're like 1.5:1 on carbs to protein.

I can't stand the way most protein bars or powders don't have real sugar. The least powders could do is not come sweetened at all, if that's the case, and let me add my own. If nothing else, I need those calories.

I've always wanted to just get unsweetened protein. Taste is generally irrelevant to me.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Hola.

My first time posting in this thread. I've read several posts throughout the weeks and I thought I'd contribute:

I'm 27 years old, 6 feet tall and 183 pounds. I currently consume approximately 95-100 grams of protein on average every day. I'm trying to get rid of the remaining fat around my abdomen and inner thighs, and although I am in the best shape of my life, I am still not quite satisfied.

I have all but dropped cardio in favor of only weight lifting. I'm sick of running on the treadmill and refuse to do it until it gets warmer and I can run outside (I live in NYC where it is currently ~50). I do a full body workout for ~2 hours on Mondays, followed by alternating upper and lower body workouts on Wednesdays and Fridays. I may sometimes exercise on Saturdays depending on how I feel.

I feel like I've plateaued, which is odd because every week I'm noticing myself slightly more plump and muscular. My veins are also protruding more than they used to (in addition to one going down my biceps, I now see some veins horizontally cutting across). I can see and feel the progress in some ways, but I'm not finding it easier to lift heavier weights in some areas.

I normally avoid bench pressing because my shoulder hurts from that exercise, even if I pull my arms in to utilize them less and my triceps more. Instead I'll do dumbbell presses, but I'm stuck at 70-75lb dumbbells and have been for months. Other chest exercises include the machine where you pull the levers from the sides toward your front.

Should I increase my protein intake? I know more muscle will burn more fat but I'm terrified of not being able to burn off or utilize excess protein and instead gaining weight from it. I don't know if what I'm doing is enough to justify increasing it.

Can some of you provide some thoughts? Thank you.

Oh, and squats. I don't do free barbell squats because the bar is always occupied at the gym, so instead I use the Smith machine, but I think I've plateaued on that. My 1RM squat on a Smith machine with my thighs parallel to the floor is ~355lbs, although I haven't gone that high in maybe 1.5 months. I normally don't like to go beyond ~290lbs anymore. I'm trying to focus on my posture more while also going lower. But my issue here is that I feel significantly less capable of doing that same weight in the following week. What I mean is that if I do 290lbs worth of squats this week, next week I'll find it more difficult to do the same amount of weight.

Are my legs not healing enough? What's going on?

Quest bars? Expensive as hell. Get on these and see how you like them:

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sig...n-Bars-12-oz,-40-count.product.100296106.html

Unless you don't live in NA then I dunno lol.

This is why I always rotate between sets.

I tried that way back and readjusting the grip each set kind of interferes with my performance on heavy sets. So I kind of dumped that in favor of trying to pull more, and here we are lol.

Wvrs

Ugh, dieting sucks. I feel like I hardly get halfway through the day before I start approaching my caloric max. Any suggestions for healthy snacks?

Quitting weed has made it easier though, less prone to reckless binges. Otherwise I've been on a major health-kick recently; got back into running after a new tattoo stopped me lifting for a while and now I run 5km every time I go the gym.

Top Bottom