• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
God I fucking miss that pre-rendered kinda look the 64 rocked. Person of Lordly Caliber and Harvest Moon 64 both just killed an aesthetic nothing even resembles today.
Meh, I hated it. Looks like out of date CGI renders at a supremely low resolution. The games don't even look like proper 240p pixel art.

Coreda

Here are my Nintendo published Japanese games. I missed out on tons though. Perfect Dark JP version had an interesting cover.

Love that cover.

1.1vgu1t.jpg

2.1biuft.jpg

31eu4e.jpg

4seugs.jpg

5ncu2w.jpg

6uuunz.jpg

7n1ubf.jpg

If anyone is interested I'll post more pics of the Zelda OoT JP version.

Coreda

They made her face more Asian for the Japanese version, and well as removing most of the blood effects and making bodies disappear after being shot. Some other minor things were changed as well such as removing the combat knife, and the title screen being red & black to match the box design.

Prozel

The N64 was a big part of my childhood even though I only had two games (!!), Mario and Pokemon Stadium, since the games was stupid expensive and it was around when the system was discontinued. Still loads of fun with this magnificent machine!

The Nintendo 64 is a console I'd love to collect, but the fact that it's extremely difficult to find a controller in good condition really puts me off. Those HORI mini pads are neat though.

Also right now, I've found collecting other consoles enough of a money sink as it is, don't want to add another pile of games to my list!

That said, one day...

My experience with the N64 is somewhat limited. For most of the generation, I didn't have one. I played a lot of the games, but on friends' consoles. I did buy a transparent orange one towards the end of the generation, but sold it for GameCube game money when that came out. I kinda regret that now.

Some of my faves off the top of my head

• Jet Force Gemini
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Mario Party 2

I struggle to think of many more, but I'm sure a little research/this thread will remind me of classics that I will eventually try to get <_>

NullVector

Neo Member
Oh man. This thread is bringing back all sorts of memories. I've only recently started my collection of games and consoles after finding my wife's old N64 and NES in her parents storage. The NES was actually mine that I gave her before traveling to Nigeria. I took my N64 though, only to not understand the difference between 120v and 220v. It was a sad day. Was eventually able to find a electrician who could repair it and it continued to work for many years. I went off to.college and left the console with my brother. Never seen it since.

I'm grateful my wife kept her consoles. The controllers are in excellent condition and the console looks great. I just need more games. Thanks for the inspiration to continue fleshing out my collection.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I asked this in another thread, but is there a place to check what my games are worth. Like a general list, no ebay or amazon or such places. I "gave" most of my N64 games to a friend of mine, but we haven't agreed on any price yet. I'm not sure if any of these games are considered rare now a days, so I'm wondering if 15-20€ is a good price for each game. Here's the games I "gave" him: Zelda OoT, Majora's Mask, Turok 1, 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Banjo Tooie. All games (PAL versions) have the original box, manual and are in good condition.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

The Nintendo 64 is a console I'd love to collect, but the fact that it's extremely difficult to find a controller in good condition really puts me off. Those HORI mini pads are neat though.

Also right now, I've found collecting other consoles enough of a money sink as it is, don't want to add another pile of games to my list!

That said, one day...

My experience with the N64 is somewhat limited. For most of the generation, I didn't have one. I played a lot of the games, but on friends' consoles. I did buy a transparent orange one towards the end of the generation, but sold it for GameCube game money when that came out. I kinda regret that now.

Some of my faves off the top of my head

• Jet Force Gemini
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Mario Party 2

I struggle to think of many more, but I'm sure a little research/this thread will remind me of classics that I will eventually try to get <_>
you can buy a new knock off really cheap on ebay(some company made a replica thats nintendos controller minus the nintendo logo)

I believe you hold down start while turning on the console.

...wait, what? I don't remember ever doing that with my N64.

*does some tests, tests of the emergency broadcast system*

Holy fuck, I didn't know this! It doesn't seem to work with all games, but damn.

Wow there are some really nice looking JP game boxes. I really wish Nintendo had gone with Sega Genesis style cartridge cases. I know you can make your own similar cases now as well.

I miss game cartridges. They are so durable. Discs will always feel so delicate to me,

Fox Mulder

It's a lot more powerful than the SNES or Genesis and had a custom CPU and graphics processor. Not easy to emulate reliably either.

Nah, the lack of n64 hardware clones probably has more to do with patents or whatever that must still be valid. If it were legal, n64 support would have made more sense for the retron 5 than dedicating a slot just to the famicom.

I have a definite soft spot for the N64. My first job in the industry was Duke Nukem 64, and I went on to do Duke Nukem Zero Hour, The World Is Not Enough and, er... NBA Showtime.

Nice machine really, hardware clipping and z-buffer, only the video output let it down.

...wait, what? I don't remember ever doing that with my N64.

*does some tests, tests of the emergency broadcast system*

Holy fuck, I didn't know this! It doesn't seem to work with all games, but damn.

This was a Nintendo requirement, it should be in every game that uses the memory pak, although devs had to write it themselves.

Lombaszko

The Nintendo 64 is a console I'd love to collect, but the fact that it's extremely difficult to find a controller in good condition really puts me off.
I thought the same thing but I opened up one the other day and it was super easy to clean with Windex. The actual buttons lay on small pieces of rubber and clean up nicely. Plus all you need is a Philips head to open it.

As for me today, I found a very good condition copy of WCW / NWO Revenge for $2. I was pretty happy about that! I'm glad I just have the system now so I can impulse buy a game whenever I come across one.

VARIA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REPLACEMENT-Joystick-for-Nintendo-64-Controller-Repair-N64-Thumbstick-Pad-/290796251684?pt=US_Video_Gaming_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item43b4ceaa24

These replacement analog sticks are pretty great. They give the durability of the gamecube analog stick to any official N64 control you have lying around. Only downside is that sensitivity is a bit enhanced, but some may dig that.

IrishNinja

This was a Nintendo requirement, it should be in every game that uses the memory pak, although devs had to write it themselves.

yeah....it's not always start either, apparently its R for Perfect Dark? anyway Mario Kart always works with start, so i use that one.

SuomiDude

Ok so there's loose price and new games, but what does loose price mean? From what I've understood, it means just the cartridge, but I have the whole boxes with manuals, but they're not new either, so there doesn't seem to be a price category for used but good condition boxed games. Also isn't there a slight difference between US and PAL games. I mean some games are rarer in Europe than in US and vice versa.

Fox Mulder

Ok so there's loose price and new games, but what does loose price mean? From what I've understood, it means just the cartridge, but I have the whole boxes with manuals, but they're not new either, so there doesn't seem to be a price category for used but good condition boxed games. Also isn't there a slight difference between US and PAL games. I mean some games are rarer in Europe than in US and vice versa.

yes, all the site does is chart recent ebay auctions, which can be a little clunky. It's nice for a quick glance and to find general trends, but a look at the completed auctions for each of your games on the actual ebay site is better.

I have a definite soft spot for the N64. My first job in the industry was Duke Nukem 64, and I went on to do Duke Nukem Zero Hour, The World Is Not Enough and, er... NBA Showtime.

Nice machine really, hardware clipping and z-buffer, only the video output let it down.

Good work on all of those games, really. All solid titles. I put quite a bit of time into Duke Nukem 64 and the World is Not Enough. Zero Hour and Showtime I rented, but they were still decent enough. :)

I recall TWINE having noticeable loading times, which was certainly a rarity on the N64 haha

I remember Starfox 64 on VC had a better framerate but people complained so they removed it and replaced it with version that slows down like the original.

lol.

Oh man. Dumbest update of all time.

"Star Fox 64 actually runs at a smooth framerate now! This is awesome! Wait there's an update, I bet it makes it even better!

...oh no."

It actually runs slower in some parts (the solar system map, for instance) than the original, while running better in others. Can't download the original, unpatched version either. Ugh. Still retains the doubled resolution though, so it wasn't a total loss.

kunonabi

You worked on The World is Not Enough? I freaking love that game. Still my favorite single player Bond campaign. Excellent work.

Here's my little collection:

Got all of them except Excitebike 64 and NBA Hangtime new back in the day. I bought Excitebike 64 at some random little classic game shop a few years ago, and I ordered NBA Hangtime on eBay just a few days ago.

The loose copy of Star Wars Episode I Racer came from the N64 bundle for it, which was when my mom decided to buy a second N64 randomly. Hah. My brother has that N64 now, though (along with most of the controllers...). I kept all of the games, though, since his friends already own all of the ones that they'd play, anyway, and he only plays them with those guys.

I'm looking to get Mischief Makers and NFL Blitz next, but I'm having a hard time finding either boxed. Heh. I'm considering getting the former on Amazon through a listing that comes with a universal game case, but I don't know how that would look next to the rest of my N64 games.

Edit: I'm also thinking about getting Blast Corps, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (which I rented once), Killer Instinct Gold, and San Francisco Rush 2049, among others.

I don't know if I should get San Francisco Rush 2049 on the N64 or Dreamcast, though. I know the Dreamcast version looks better and all that, but I do like the quick convenience of cartridges. Heh. Then there's also Midway Arcade Treasures 3, which has a port of the Dreamcast version in it...

Also, maybe I should start thinking about getting some games loose...as finding them with the boxes is hard, and can cost a lot more. :(

Speaking of loose games...some local electronics shop had San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing and Fighter's Destiny. Should I pick them up?

Also, what do you guys think of the Castlevania games for the system? I'm eyeing some listings on Amazon for the first one.

Teknoman

Damn it Castlevania Legacy of Darkness...stop costing 30+ dollars lol.

EDIT: I like CV64 for the fact that it feels like classic CV but in 3D. Not to mention the atmosphere is great and its got one of the best title themes in the series. I'd grab the normal version myself, but Legacy is Super CV64 Turbo apparently. Expansion pak compatibility, New story with a new character, along with the main two characters from the original.

Appreciation: the N64 reminds me of Air Man and the 1988 batmobile. With its sport car like curves. It's the antithesis of the GCN's boxy design.

see the face?

iD2jqbVs.jpg

here is the Air Man

prSu9vys.jpg

If you worked on the Dreamcast version of Showtime then kudos. Still play that game today!

kunonabi

EDIT: I like CV64 for the fact that it feels like classic CV but in 3D. Not to mention the atmosphere is great and its got one of the best title themes in the series. I'd grab the normal version myself, but Legacy is Super CV64 Turbo apparently. Expansion pak compatibility, New story with a new character, along with the main two characters from the original.

I actually prefer the original since I liked the old stage designs for Reinhardt and Carrie campaigns. They had better alts too. I didn't even use the expansion pack since it made the framerate even worse than it was. Still worth having since Cornell and Harry's games are pretty good.

And yes, the CV64 series are the only games that actually resembled classic CV in a 3D format. I also loved the atmosphere, the music, the design of the castle, and the increased focus on vampire lore and conventions. It was great mix of classic CV gameplay with 3D adventure elements.

Yeah, Legacy of Darkness is great... and it is worth buying. Save money by not bothering with the regular CV64; it's not worth getting unless you're a pretty serious fan, or find it for quite cheap.

My retro collecting has taken a bit of a backseat lately on account of wedding planning stuff, but I've got a nice little collection going. Just cartridges--I like them for playing, so completeness doesn't really bug me.

Off the top of my head:

• Mischief Makers
  • Mission Impossible
  • Shadows of the Empire
  • Shadowman
  • Mario Kart
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Goldeneye
  • Turok 2
  • Ocarina of Time (gold)
  • Majora's Mask (gold, hologram)

I feel like I'm forgetting some, though...oh well. I know I'll probably pick up Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and Mario 64 next.

Oh, plus my system itself is gold, with a gold controller. Got super drunk two years ago just after I got a student loan check and I got on ebay and...well.

I hope to one day have enough disposable income to purchase one of those dumb, useless $800 bundle deals on eBay with a Japanese N64, the 64 DD, and all those seven or eight games that were released for it.

IrishNinja

don't die yet, Seik! E3's just starting heh

damn, i keep telling myself i'm out with a cheap copy of F-Zero X (Mega Man 64 looks nice but it's not a priority), but now i kinda wanna play this one. regular C64 should be in the mail tomorrow, got it for less than $5 shipped i think.

last expensive(ish) ones for me will be Conker's, Ogre Battle & this one apparently

Lombaszko

I completely forgot how catchy the music is in 1080 Snowboarding. My son was singing, "Work ya body, work ya body!" all afternoon yesterday.

I also forgot about the realistic sense of speed and physics. I was trying to pull tricks off like a Tony Hawk game and it just wasn't working. The training mode was very helpful with that.

elektrixx

Banned
I completely forgot how catchy the music is in 1080 Snowboarding. My son was singing, "Work ya body, work ya body!" all afternoon yesterday.

I also forgot about the realistic sense of speed and physics. I was trying to pull tricks off like a Tony Hawk game and it just wasn't working. The training mode was very helpful with that.

"What's up?"
"Let's go!"

Good work on all of those games, really. All solid titles. I put quite a bit of time into Duke Nukem 64 and the World is Not Enough. Zero Hour and Showtime I rented, but they were still decent enough. :)

I recall TWINE having noticeable loading times, which was certainly a rarity on the N64 haha

It was actually decompressing rather than loading as such, cart size was the biggest limitation on the machine.

If you worked on the Dreamcast version of Showtime then kudos. Still play that game today!

Think Midway did the DC version themselves. Exclusive cheat code!:
DOGMAN 9676

LakeEarth

It's all about International Superstar Soccer 64! ISS98 was superior in many ways, but it did not have that announcer, so it was not played in my household.

"WHAT A CRACKER! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLL!!! GOAL! HE KICKED IT WITH HIS right FOOT! ... Italy ... IS ON THE SCORESHEET!"

DonMigs85

Call me
Call toll-free now
Hello hello hello

Jackano

So there is a (world? european? well national at least) premiere auction in Paris this thursday... Auction for video games items only, retro ones of course.

Maybe it deserve a thread, maybe not.
http://www.franceinfo.fr/high-tech/...s-d-une-vente-aux-encheres-1016417-2013-06-07

The fact is, one of the master piece is an unboxed Goldeneye, which it has been told to be the only of its kind, and estimated at 12,000€ (~$15,800).
So, any bids? (start and reserve prices are lower than that, the 12k number come from an expert guesstimate for thursday's auction).

Coreda

The fact is, one of the master piece is an unboxed Goldeneye, which it has been told to be the only of its kind, and estimated at 12,000&#8364; (~$15,800).

Wow, why on earth is the estimate so high? I can't imagine a single Rare game selling for that price. It would be cool if there were original design documents, concept art, dev cartridges, etc as some lot, then I'd be jealous.

I've recently been starting to pick up some retro games and been considering starting a collection. Nothing serious yet but I'll see where it leads me. Anyway, I recently picked up the following N64 carts at a yard sale for $5 total.

Mario 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
Goldeneye 007
MLB Baseball Featuring Griffey Jr.
WCW vs NWO World Tour
NFL Blitz 2001

The carts need cleaned up (inside and outside) and I was hoping to get some gaf advice on the best cleaner to use on the cart case and stickers. I read alcohol is best inside the cart and I'm ordering a Nintendo Security Screwdriver so I can clean the insides properly. Anyone have advice on cleaning the case and stickers without damaging the stickers but that will clean the plastic cart?

Was gonna post pics of these once I get them cleaned up :)

Lombaszko

Anyone have advice on cleaning the case and stickers without damaging the stickers but that will clean the plastic cart?
I've found q-tips with Windex work well on most grime and dirt on games as well as the pins. For stubborn, sticky stckers, WD-40 works great for me.

$5?! that's what i'm talkin bout! N64 games often go on the cheap, but you might have a record there. nice haul!

They were well used and apparently came out of a Storage Locker/Container and were in huge need of cleaning. One or two even had what appears to be some corrosion, though I don't believe it's permanent damage. I've started using Windex on the outsides and they are cleaning up quite nicely, IMO. For one of my first trips looking at yard sales both my wife (who saw them first) and I are obviously happy at this find, especially as someone just starting to look at picking up retro games (most of my original games were sold without my knowledge)

I'll see if I can post some pics once I get the outsides cleaned up.

IrishNinja

oh yeah, i think it was GuardianHeroes in the genesis thread that got me onto cleaning every single cart i get, however it looks (even in cases), i was surprised how very dirty some where & still worked.

does windex work for taking sharpee names off the cart casing? just noticed some chick's name on my Majora's Mask, that shit won't do. you had like 20 minutes into this holographic-labeled masterpiece and sold it to me on the cheap, it's mine now!

Top Bottom