• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For February 2017 [Up1: For Honor highest LTD game of 2017 so far]

yuraya

A Halo game not charting in the NPD while a niche Japanese exclusive PS4 game like Nioh did.

Really puts in perspective how weak this generation is for Microsoft.

On a second thought, If this 56% includes PC, isn't that crazy I suppose.

If is just for PS4/XBOX, is insane.

Yep good catch we know the game sold well on PC so that's likely skewing things higher. Still though that's a AAA game whose total sell through is now over half digital. Even including PC that's a major milestone. And one that's just gonna keep increasing

Welfare

A Halo game not charting in the NPD while a niche Japanese exclusive PS4 game like Nioh did.

Well it is an RTS (which don't do well on consoles) and Microsoft doesn't share digital data. It was #6 on the Xbox One chart however.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nioh's 230k is impressive ! Especially for that studio. Sony is likely pleased

Also just noticed FH sold a lot more on Xbox than ps4

RexNovis

Banned
Bundled software is always separate.

I know thats how its been in the past but I can't remember that being confirmed since the reporting changed but its good to have it confirmed. So then yea I could see Destiny 2 skewing Digital by a very large margin across all platforms.

Mory Dunz

It indeed becoming increasingly difficult to really get an idea how games are performing from the few reported numbers we get. Digital share just keeps increasing and I suspect on these online Games as a Service titles especially. People want quick and easy access to them.

Retail really doesn't tell the full story anymore

good thing we get PR from time to time to correlate things

GKFinns

I can understand that For Honor sold more on XBox than PS4 - the amount of games that hit PS4 in that time frame versus Xbox was much higher. So it could very well be a case of Xbox gamers being very excited for a new major game.

Either way, the success of For Honor is awesome. The game is great fun.

I can understand that For Honor sold more on XBox than PS4 - the amount of games that hit PS4 in that time frame versus Xbox was much higher. So it could very well be a case of Xbox gamers being very excited for a new major game.

That's actually a pretty good point. For Honor has a lot less competition on Xbox than it does PS4 right now

sense

Not too surprising for honor selling more on Xbox. Too many games on PS4 and the game itself seemed like it would be attractive to the Xbox fanbase.

RexNovis

Banned
Nioh's 230k is impressive ! Especially for that studio. Sony is likely pleased

I'm assuming that 230k does not include digital like the revenue. If so then yea I'd say thats quite good. Certainly higher than I expected. Looks like Sony did ship a semi decent amount of stock it just clearly wasn't able to meet the demand.

Also just noticed FH sold a lot more on Xbox than ps4

Seems like the Xbox audience tends to respond well to GAAS games. I know Destiny despite the heavy marketing deals with Sony also skewed really well for Xbox. I wouldn't be surprised if Rainbow Six was the same way. Makes sense considering MS' pushing the GAAS model with their first party IP now.

This is also a pretty good point. Theres a lot more games competing for ppls time and money on PS4 right now.

Seems like the Xbox audience tends to respond well to GAAS games. I know Destiny despite the heavy marketing deals with Sony also skewed really well for Xbox. I wouldn't be surprised if Rainbow Six was the same way. Makes sense considering MS' pushing the GAAS model with their first party IP now.

Yeah I wanna say I heard at one point in time Rainbow Six on Xbox was outselling the PS4 version in the US. I could be wrong on that but I just thought I remembered hearing that in an NPD thread a while back.

And yes Xbox gamers seem to proportionately respond very strongly to the online / GAAS model

Nioh digital should be high.

Also Xbox > PS4 on For Honor by a lot is interesting.

It really isn't when you consider the game releases for the 2 platforms over the past 3 months. FH is competing for $$ against a lot more games on PS4.

I'm interested in FH, but between Nioh and Horizon, I don't even have time for FH.

Harker I'm sure you don't wanna provide us units understandably, but any chance you could give us some sort of comparison to how For Honor stacks up to some of Ubi's other big releases in recent years?

Hydrargyrus

Who would have thought that a game called "Halo" couldn't be able to even chart?

I know that this is not a main line game, but it's pretty obvious that the Halo brand has lost a lot of traction when the only exclusive game in months (with a decent score) misses the NPD

RexNovis

Banned
Yeah I wanna say I heard at one point in time Rainbow Six on Xbox was outselling the PS4 version in the US. I could be wrong on that but I just thought I remembered hearing that in an NPD thread a while back.

And yes Xbox gamers seem to proportionately respond very strongly to the online / GAAS model

OK yea that doesn't surprise me at all. I'm sure The Division skewed more towards Xbox as well given the marketing agreement. That would mean all the GAAS titles are skewing disproportionately more toward the platform with the lower install base.

Given how profitable the GAAS model is for digital storefronts I'm sure MS couldn't be happier with that. Again I assume the transition to GAAS with their first party IP is helping to create an audience for these sorts of games that isn't really being fostered as much on other platforms at the moment.

Zyrox

Great for For Honor. This game is such a breath of fresh air that I'm really happy it found success. Normally not a Ubisoft kinda guy but For Honor is great. Kudos to Ubisoft.

Also happy to see Nioh charting. Good month for Samurai.

madmackem

For Honor sell a little more on Xbox One would be ok, but a lot more? This is strange and surprising.
No it isn't, like people have said these types of games do well on Xbox add into the fact it's the first real title out for Xbox this year while ps4 owners have had a packed slate of games with more in the wings coming close to fh you can see why it did better on Xbox.

kyser73

I'm assuming that 230k does not include digital like the revenue. If so then yea I'd say thats quite good. Certainly higher than I expected. Looks like Sony did ship a semi decent amount of stock it just clearly wasn't able to meet the demand.

This is also a pretty good point. Theres a lot more games competing for ppls time and money on PS4 right now.

Pretty sure that while Destiny skewed to Xbone in retail sales it sold more on PS4 via bundling - IIRC there were regular 'Oh wow, Destiny selling better on bone, Sony dun fucked up with their marketing deal' for nearly a year after launch on NPD threads.

allan-bh

Why. PS4 has a way better slate of quality titles to purchase right now.

Hardware difference isn't that pronounced in the USA.

I see just Nioh and KH in the top 10, the rest is available on Xbox.

I don't think this is enough to make For Honor sell "a lot" more on Xbox One.

RexNovis

Banned
Pretty sure that while Destiny skewed to Xbone in retail sales it sold more on PS4 via bundling - IIRC there were regular 'Oh wow, Destiny selling better on bone, Sony dun fucked up with their marketing deal' for nearly a year after launch on NPD threads.

I'm not saying it sold less on PS4 I'm saying the PS4:XB1 split skewed more towards XB1 than the HW gap would otherwise imply. Sorry if that was unclear.

Mrbob

What do you see in the top 10 for Xbox. Nioh outsold Halo Wars 2. Plus you had the Horizon hype machine starting to crank up.

Still the hardware gap between the PS4 and Xbox in the USA isn't huge. When dollars are getting pulled elsewhere to other games it has to come from somewhere when the install base difference isn't huge.

Online multiplayer games sell well in Xbox too, so combination of all factors doesn't seem like a huge stretch to me to see For Honor do well on Xbox.

sense

Not just those, with horizon hype ramping up, a lot of people probably put money towards that game as well and I am sure to a much smaller extent nier also played a part. I would be interested to see the split for resident evil because I think that might be stronger on the PS4 considering the single player focus.

Anecdotally Destiny continues to sell very, very well on Xbox. I don't know the ratio so it's tale from the arse, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the 50:50 range between both platforms with less than 5% variance, despite install base difference ( for NPD/UK). Of course global skews PS4.

And honestly? I wouldn't say that's a bad outcome to have.

Let's be real about Destiny. If you look at the type of game it was, it wouldn't had been surprising if it was a product that skewed 70:30, in the same vein of how JRPGs or Japanese games skew for PS4.

A sci-fi multiplayer focused first-person shooter developed by Bungie, who's known to have a very popular studio fanbase and by extension, a sizable support from the Halo fanbase as well?

If you look at the checklist of what genre, type of game, etc that Destiny was going to be... If Sony didn't aggresively market it, it felt like the default stance would have been "that's an Xbox game."

Sony has put in a lot of marketing effort to skew the perception and audience attention of Destiny to associate with PS4, and by and large it appears to be very successful.

But it's not as if that will suddenly turn Destiny into a Final Fantasy-like situation where suddenly it's a game that a bulk of sales will be on PlayStation platforms.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
That's a very nice start for Nioh I'd say.

Also For Honor selling more on Xbox than PS4 is pretty interesting

Less competition. Nioh and Nier are both seemingly superior action games.

Also guess this is the last we will see of Halo Wars. :( Couldnt even make it to the top 5 of Xbox games.

A lot of people that bought Nioh might have considered For Honor otherwise. I wouldn't have, but the amount that one game sold(including digital) is probably bigger than the gap between between the two platforms with For Honor. Plus Horizon and NieR were upcoming. It's not the surprising. It had less competition.

A lot of people that bought Nioh might have considered For Honor otherwise. I wouldn't have, but the amount that one game sold(including digital) is probably bigger than the gap between between the two platforms with For Honor. Plus Hoizon and NieR were upcoming. It's not the surprising. It had less competition.

That's definitely me, I ended up getting both but for a long time I had to wrestle with getting one over the other (would have gone with Nioh should push comes to shove)

Zelda's results will be constrained by how many people can actually buy it. If Nintendo's shipping ~2 million Switches WW in March and we already know 3-400k are headed for Japan, probably the same to Europe, throw in Asia/Oceania and you'll have a bit over a million for North America.

And judging by the Japanese results, the amount of copies shipped for Wii U seems to be about 20% of the Switch number. Even with the crazy 80-90% attach rate they're going to get, they'll probably just top a million sold in the first month in NA. We know Horizon has already doubled that. Mass Effect is debuting on 3 platforms and is a strong IP, that will help it. And we know Wildlands has done really well. So I'm fully expecting Zelda to max out its sales potential and still come in 3rd, maybe even 4th unless the Wii U situation turns out to be radically different (I wouldn't hold my breath).

madmackem

There's also been gravity rush 2 and yakuza zero and people had horizon on the erm horizon there's been way more titles battling for people's dollars on ps4.

c0de

There's also been gravity rush 2 and yakuza zero and people had horizon on the erm horizon there's been way more titles battling for people's dollars on ps4.

Didn't GR2 bomb? And how much did YZ sell? I mean, yes, these are games, but they are hardly "battling" for people's dollars. It's not like several million sellers hit the shelves.

Vroadstar

For Honor sell a little more on Xbox One would be ok, but a lot more? This is strange and surprising.

There is nothing strange and surprising at all with FH selling more on Xbox One.

With all the great games that came out for PS4 as the other guys mentioned, plus people waiting on Horizon, I don't think they even considered buying FH at that moment or if ever it's probably a 4th-5th down their list after they bought all games that came out of PS4.

Didn't GR2 bomb? And how much did YZ sell? I mean, yes, these are games, but they are hardly "battling" for people's dollars. It's not like several million sellers hit the shelves.

You think For Honor on Xbox One outsold the PS4 version by a million or more? We don't know much For Honor sold or what gap was between the two platforms. I think you have lost the scope of the discussion. Those games don't need to sell millions to explain the difference. As I stated a few comments up Nioh by itself was likely enough fill that gap.

c0de

You think For Honor on Xbox One outsold the PS4 version by a million or more? We don't know much For Honor sold or what gap was between the two platforms. I think you have lost the scope of the discussion. Those games don't need to sell millions to explain the difference. As I stated a few comments up Nioh by itself was likely enough fill that gap.

I didn't argue against Nioh but the mention of games that didn't sell well at all. These don't add to what you were saying.
I only say that games that perhaps some people on this forum really like don't make a difference when it comes to "battling for dollars" when they don't sell much at all.

I didn't argue against Nioh but the mention of games that didn't sell well at all. These don't add to what you were saying.
I only say that games that perhaps some people on this forum really like don't make a difference when it comes to "battling for dollars" when they don't sell much at all.

Even if those games sold like shit say 50k apiece that is still 100k in sales could have been used on another game instead. And for contention of the gap in sales between two versions of For Honor it absolutely would be relevant. I haven't seen any numbers, but I would be surprised if it did more than 600k on consoles.

Impressive form by Ubisoft, they know the AAA mass multiplayer market to a T.
Not interested in FH but it's always good to see creative new IP's rewarded.

Also great to see Nioh chart! 4th place on PS4 standalone list is great.
I'll hopefully take a look at that once the onslaught of games calms down.

Tbh I'm not that surprised.
It's an RTS on console, pretty niche genre.

The caveat I guess here is maybe Halo Wars 1 sold better on a smaller install base? (but no digital in equation)
Tough one perhaps.

Welfare

You can't just assume that the existence of one (or even multiple tiny) game(s) means another sells less.

The PS4 having more games hasn't stopped big releases from selling more on PS4, and really, the lack of "new games" (only notable titles Xbox missed this year has been KH and Nioh) doesn't mean Xbox gamers aren't buying games. That would just mean the $ is going to older titles.

We don't actually know the split or how big sales were but it is not normal for Xbox One to both lead sales and for the gap to be large.

You can't just assume that the existence of one (or even multiple tiny) game(s) means another sells less.

The PS4 having more games hasn't stopped big releases from selling more on PS4, and really, the lack of "new games" (only notable titles Xbox missed this year has been KH and Nioh) doesn't mean Xbox gamers aren't buying games. That would just mean the $ is going to older titles released before.

We don't actually know the split or how big sales were but it is not normal for Xbox One to both lead sales and for the gap to be so much larger.

You can't rule out those games having an impact either. I think the extra games on PS4 can explain the differences quite easily, in particular Nioh and KH. Similar install base with one platform having more choices available. Without knowing what the actual number this is pointless. He could be calling 80k or 200k a "big" gap.

c0de

The PS4 having more games hasn't stopped big releases from selling more on PS4, and really, the lack of "new games" (only notable titles Xbox missed this year has been KH and Nioh) doesn't mean Xbox gamers aren't buying games. That would just mean the $ is going to older titles.

We don't actually know the split or how big sales were but it is not normal for Xbox One to both lead sales and for the gap to be large.

You can even say that after so much time, GTA5 is battling more for the dollars of people than many new releases do.

Top Bottom