• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox successor codename is "Ten". Expected release Holiday 2012.

RyL said:
Consoles do NOT use RAM sticks, I hope you know that.

some guys never heard of custom-made products, even if you buy lots and lots of them, it is still very expensive

(remember the microsoft/epic games RAM story before 360 launch, 256MB vs. 512MB ... it just cost them 1 billion... hint: it's not dirt cheap)

also, most people forget that it's just a Codename... you know like Project Natal
Maybe they should start using ram sticks.

The constant updates will keep wanna be console designers "modders" in check.

nasos_333

Seems all the rumors about a new system in 2012 were fake afterall

I am glad, i did not want 720 to come so early, i prefer it comes in late 2013-2014 and can run Elder Scrolls 5, Dark Souls 2 and Witcher 3 maxed

RyL

Banned
Dark Octave said:

Well, good luck fitting them into your tiny case, there are plenty of reasons why they don't do it. I mean seriously, do you think console engineers are utter morons?!

Hell, even Shuttle XPCs had lots of problems with RAM sticks back in the days.

royalan

nasos_333 said:

I am glad, i did not want 720 to come so early, i prefer it comes in late 2013-2014 and can run Elder Scrolls 5, Dark Souls 2 and Witcher 3 maxed

Where were the rumors confirmed to be fake?

FyreWulff

Dark Octave said:

Way too slow. Console RAM is faster and has lower latency than most general use consumer RAM.

Plus the electronics and the materials required to make a port to plug sticks into cost money.

RyL said:
Well, good luck fitting them into your tiny case, there are plenty of reasons why they don't do it. I mean seriously, do you think console engineers are utter morons?!

If you had asked me this question before November 2005 my answer would have been "no".

clav

Dark Octave said:

The constant updates will keep wanna be console designers "modders" in check.
Putting RAM sockets are too costly.

There is a reason why Macbook Airs have the RAM soldered directly to the motherboard.

RyL said:
Off topic. I own a few for the past six years, and I've had zero problems.

[Nintex]

nasos_333 said:

Early? the Xbox 360 will be seven years old at that point. A new box will hit in 2012 unless some crazy event happens, you can count on that. MS has done much to try and beat their competitors and they would suddenly give up and allow Sony to ship more PS3's and Nintendo to beat them in specs? All that while hiring a ton of new people who by all accounts haven't shown any of their work yet?

clav

My guess would be an upgrade Fusion core of some sort. A design that eliminates bottlenecks among the memory, CPU, and GPU would be something of the future. No longer do we reference a motherboard design of northbridge and southbridge.

The latest Xbox 360, Slim, provides a glimpse what the R&D departments have done by merging the CPU and GPU in one chip.

Sydle

[Nintex] said:
Early? the Xbox 360 will be seven years old at that point. A new box will hit in 2012 unless some crazy event happens, you can count on that. MS has done much to try and beat their competitors and they would suddenly give up and allow Sony to ship more PS3's and Nintendo to beat them in specs? All that while hiring a ton of new people who by all accounts haven't shown any of their work yet?

Unless they're banking on the upcoming Kinect + movies/TV push and their swan song software (Halo 4) to carry them through one more season.

duk

Banned
i see no reason for MS to push it up to fall 2012 the way 360 hw/sw are still selling

fall 2013 launch is much better to flesh out the s/w and get prices down on h/w

id say unless the 360 sees major sales drop this year MS will plan for 2013, they have very few reasons to rush to market and are in the position to move at their convenience. I'm still 100% that it will be a 2013 launch

Rick Dangerous said:
Hope it's true. fed up with all those sub HD - 30 fps games...
Next gen may fix sub HD, but 30 fps? Good luck. We'll always be stuck with 30 and sub 30 games. People will go nuts with everything else and forget framerate.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Next gen may fix sub HD, but 30 fps? Good luck. We'll always be stuck with 30 and sub 30 games. People will go nuts with everything else and forget framerate.

I so hope not they should aim 60 fps next gen.

Lunchbox said:
8 gigs ram 1 tera hd or bust
My dream box would be...

8 GB shared memory
Bluray drive that supports 16 & 32 layer discs as well (but first gen games would ship on normal BDs)
2TB HDD
16GB SSD cache drive

If they put out a box with specs like that, they would probably be able to have a real 10 year generation.

AlphaTwo00 said:

At some point there will be diminishing returns and the fidelity of assets will outstrip 1080p resolution.

dragonelite said:
I so hope not they should aim 60 fps next gen.
They'll aim, and some will get there, but eventually, devs will sacrifice it for whatever new fangled tech that everyone ends up pushing.

clashfan

infinityBCRT said:
My dream box would be...

8 GB shared memory
Bluray drive that supports 16 & 32 layer discs as well (but first gen games would ship on normal BDs)
2TB HDD
16GB SSD cache drive

Keep dreaming...

BTW, majornelson is twitting alot about ces2012. I get the feeling something will be announced at ces.

guek

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
My dream box would be...

8 GB shared memory
2TB HDD
16GB SSD cache drive

If they put out a box with specs like that, they would probably be able to have a real 10 year generation.

At some point there will be diminishing returns and the fidelity of assets will outstrip 1080p resolution.

Nh2.gif

not laughing at you since I think you realize how crazy unlikely that is

clashfan said:
Keep dreaming...

BTW, majornelson is twitting alot about ces2012. I get the feeling something will be announced at ces.

Since when has Microsoft ever announced anything substantial at CES that will get gamers giddy? It would be at E3 before it would be at CES. Heck, it will be at GDC before it's at CES.

clashfan said:
Keep dreaming...
Like I said, its a dream. But I think once we get to memory/storage hardware up to that quality (maybe the gen after the next one) along with a capable GPU that can do 1080p w/4xAA in it's sleep, developers are going to be able to find a lot of ways to trick the hardware and keep increasing fidelity. I imagine something like LA Noire's capture tech but much higher fidelity and for full body capture could be possible on that type of hardware.

Digital-Hero said:
Since when has Microsoft ever announced anything substantial at CES that will get gamers giddy? It would be at E3 before it would be at CES. Heck, it will be at GDC before it's at CES.
Paul Thurrott (guy who started rumour that this thread is based on) thinks CES is when they'd announce it.

PJFJosh

Yeah, it seems highly unlikely that a new Xbox would hit before late 2013 at the earliest. It's all just speculation at this point anyway. None of us knows the real story.

RPGamer92

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
I could see a teaser reveal at CES and then the actual unveiling with more specific information at E3.
I could see something more liked what they did for 360 where they have an event just for the system right before E3 with a full blown unveiling at E3.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
I have been saying it for a while now but I think that performance wise, next Xbox will be like an 6core phenom CPU and a dual gpu from 2010 with some refinements.

The ram and storage part is more difficult, the more the better obviously but ms will most like try to reach a 299/399 dollar approach again.

Minimum 2gb ram, hopefully 4gb

whitehawk

Banned
guek said:
Nh2.gif

not laughing at you since I think you realize how crazy unlikely that is
The Blu-Ray is likely to happen however. The 360 got away with it this gen, but now there are so many multi-disc games, whereas last gen it was a rarity. The 720 will have Blu-ray.

whitehawk said:
The Blu-Ray is likely to happen however. The 360 got away with it this gen, but now there are so many multi-disc games, whereas last gen it was a rarity. The 720 will have Blu-ray.
I think 50GB discs are going to be a huge limiting factor though down the road with the next generation. Some games this gen on limited memory hardware are already barely fitting on 3 DVDs on the 360.

If Nintendo and Microsoft are launching their consoles in late 2012, Sony can't afford to launch the PS4 a year later (especially when the PS3 is in last place). But if all 3 console makers launch at the same time, especially with the sales potential of the Vita and 3DS, it could be a VERY crowded holiday season. If this is true, I'm not sure what Sony can do here.

infinityBCRT said:
I think 50GB discs are going to be a huge limiting factor though down the road with the next generation. Some games this gen on limited memory hardware are already barely fitting on 3 DVDs on the 360.
Joke? 3x 8.5 < 50, hell its barely above the half mark. And don't forget hdd's. You're almost guaranteed to have at least 100GB.

RyL said:
Consoles do NOT use RAM sticks, I hope you know that.

some guys never heard of custom-made products, even if you buy lots and lots of them, it is still very expensive

(remember the microsoft/epic games RAM story before 360 launch, 256MB vs. 512MB ... it just cost them 1 billion... hint: it's not dirt cheap)

also, most people forget that it's just a Codename... you know like Project Natal

Um the only difference is they buy the chips directly from Samsung or whatever just like all the RAM module makers like G.Skill do so its actually much cheaper. Ram sticks have the cost of the packaging and the manufactures and retailers markup added in. There is nothing custom about the RAM consoles, its all off the shelf stuff.

pr0cs

whitehawk said:
I doubt Microsoft will ever use BluRay.
If anything resurrecting HD-DVD for something fit for purpose like this makes sense.

pr0cs said:
If anything resurrecting HD-DVD for something fit for purpose like this makes sense.

If Microsoft doesn't use BluRay they will use a proprietary high capacity format like Nintendo is doing with Wii U. No one is bringing HD-DVD back.

pr0cs said:
BluRay is cheaper than a long dead format like HD DVD. Even Nintendo is using it. That's when you know there isn't anything cheaper that provides the same capacity.

FyreWulff

Dreamcast2 said:
If Microsoft doesn't use BluRay they will use a proprietary high capacity format like Nintendo is doing with Wii U. No one is bringing HD-DVD back.

This proprietary format is Blu Ray. They're just not paying for the ability to label it as a Blu Ray disc nor allow playback of movies, much like they did with DVD on the GameCube and Wii.

infinityBCRT said:

It doesn't matter how big with make discs, developers will always bump up against their limits. Eventually we're going to have multi-disc Blu-Ray games.

iamshadowlark said:
Joke? 3x 8.5 < 50, hell its barely above the half mark. And don't forget hdd's. You're almost guaranteed to have at least 100GB.
LA Noire only did facial capture, and pretty damn low quality at that (PC version shows how they barely are SD quality). Also, the audio was super compressed in LA Noire. Extrapolate that to full body capture @ higher fidelity and also better audio/uncompressed audio and thats easily more than 50GB if not 100GB.

Yeah, LA Noire is some sort of special case but I can think of others. RAGE for example. That game's source files are in the terabytes if I'm not mistaken. While in general the Mega texture stuff looks okay, with more room they could have had more stages of textures & higher res textures close up.

iamshadowlark said:
No it doesn't, not at all.
Yeah. People thinking that MS won't use BDs or some form of it is so off the mark. Sony doesn't own Bluray.

Top Bottom