• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is $59.99 at Amazon

people who enjoy being f*cked by nintendo vs people with a lil bit of common sense in their heads.

While the price could be lower, I don't like the way you worded that sentence. Because I feel that you're saying that anyone who doesn't complain about this situation and is willing to pay 50 is an idiot. Which isn't nice or even true.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get from that sentence.

Darryl

Banned
It's not really budget price, and €49.99 is the new standard price for Wii U titles published by Nintendo.

really have no idea what the pricing strategy in europe is. the thread is about US. over here, games are $60 new including nintendo games. this game is $50. it's a lower priced release.

obviously it isn't as low as i thought it was going to be. i said $40 as well, but that was back when i was under the impression that the game wasn't going to have much new content and they were throwing the game on the console. now we know that isn't true.

BY2K

Membero Americo
shocking news: nintendo doesn't like to devalue their brands

you guys really didn't think they'd treat this like a new release and price it accordingly? it has ground breaking new gamepad features and rebuilt from the ground up visuals

My sarcasm detector is going nuts over here.

Gartooth

Oh God, what is this thread turning into... !?

Nintendo/Zelda fanboys defending a port of a 10 year old game being $60. Nintendo knows this game isn't worth $60, and they are charging for it anyway because they know they can get away with it, plain and simple. When you have something like the Metal Gear Solid HD/Legacy Collection and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 being sold at $20 cheaper with several games and a lot more work put into them than Wind Waker, you know you are getting a bad deal.

I stomached OoT and Star Fox because I thought the graphical upgrade and effort put into those games was larger than WW HD, and also because I could stomach a $40 price tag. (even if that was "full price" for a 3DS game) Regardless those two games should have been cheaper than they were but the price for WW takes it to another level.

Oh I see. I'm sorry, but as a customer I disagree. I don't think that paying for an old product that has already amortised it's costs full price is worth it, especially when Nintendo once re-released it for €30.

If we are taking your stance, that of a corporate defender or business person, you might be right as you want to increase profits. But then this strategy might be shortsighted as Nintendo currently is in no position to set prices since both customers and retailers show little interest in the Wii U console.

As a customer I want everything to be free, so everything is overpriced in that view.

As a video game enthusiast, however, I prefer policies that are good for the long term health of the industry.

Anth0ny

My sarcasm detector is going nuts over here.

reggie-shurg.jpg

it's not the same game.

It's lazy to you but what else could that have done? The game is great as is. They don't have to oversell it in order to make up for dated gameplay.
I dunno, how about make it cheaper than 50 goddamn dollars?!

I find it absolutely baffling that this shit is getting so much support here. Yes, WW is a great game, nobody denies that. But the fact still remains that the improvements made to the game clearly require so little development resources that it blows my goddamn mind Nintendo would have the gall to charge near full price for it. Do you seriously think it took any serious effort to get the game running in HD and add a single faster sail? Not a chance. Anyone who thinks otherwise is genuinely deluded.

It pisses me off to see so many people support the price due to how good WW is. That is completely fucking irrelevant to the argument, and displays total ignorance as a consumer. The fact it's a good game shouldn't matter one iota when it comes to a remaster like this. All that should be taken into account is whether or not the effort made in preparing the game for release on a new console is worthy of the price tag. Anyone who isn't blinded by fanboysim can see that 50$ for a rerelease that adds so little is poor value for money.

ASIS

Nintendo/Zelda fanboys defending a port of a 10 year old game being $60. Nintendo knows this game isn't worth $60, and they are charging for it anyway because they know they can get away with it, plain and simple. When you have something like the Metal Gear Solid HD/Legacy Collection and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 being sold at $20 cheaper with several games and a lot more work put into them than Wind Waker, you know you are getting a bad deal.

I stomached OoT and Star Fox because I thought the graphical upgrade and effort put into those games was larger than WW HD, and also because I could stomach a $40 price tag. (even if that was "full price" for a 3DS game) Regardless those two games should have been cheaper than they were but the price for WW takes it to another level.

..... The game is not $60...

Tripon

...Then don't buy it. That's the answer everyone who doesn't think the game justifies a $50 price tag should give. Don't buy the game. There needn't be anymore discussion after that.

BY2K

Membero Americo

It's not 60, it's 50.

Gartooth

..... The game is not $60...

I'll concede if you can find the game being priced at $50 on other retailers besides Amazon. Last I checked they all said $60.

Anyway I don't see the need to buy this game at launch, I would have at a cheaper price but I don't see the value, especially when there are a ton of other great Wii U games coming out in the fall for similar prices.

DPJ

Banned
I can remember for years after it came out Nintendo fans weren't shy about labelling Wind Waker the worst Zelda game ever, (Same thing with Mario Sunshine in fact... That was shat on for years also ) yet now it's some timless classic worth full price on store shelves because it's had about as much work put into it as some HD remasters on other consoles have had?

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug it seems. I mean if Nintendo had actually gone in and finished the game or something that'd be one thing, but have they actually added ANY new content? Like, actual new gameplay content? Or is it like OoT 3DS where they've just added some window dressing and ribbons to what was already present in the original game?

I can see no good reason for this game to be released at any price above 25 bucks or so.

Wait, really? MGS HD is the epitome of lazy from a graphical stance. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't WW HD run on a new visual engine?

Shiggy

As a customer I want everything to be free, so everything is overpriced in that view.

As a video game enthusiast, however, I prefer policies that are good for the long term health of the industry.

Even as a customer I know that everything can't be free. And in spite of low prices on iOS, there have been some truly great and innovative games on that platform. Would we get something like Broken Sword 5? Unlikely.

As the video game enthusiast you say you are, did you hate Nintendo for doing the New Play Control series or Nintendo Selects line? From how you word it, those must have been detrimental to the health of the included game IPs.

defferoo

you guys really didn't think they'd treat this like a new release and price it accordingly? it has ground breaking new gamepad features and rebuilt from the ground up visuals

rebuilt from the ground up? the assets are gamecube assets, the textures are gamecube textures, all they did was change the lighting

Gartooth

Wait, really? MGS HD is the epitome of lazy from a graphical stance. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't WW run on a new visual engine?

They did HD remasters of 3 games compared to 1, that and it's a better value when you are practically getting the majority of the Metal Gear saga. (HD Collection is $40, Legacy is $50 but that also includes MGS 1 and MGS 4)

ASIS

Wait, really? MGS HD is the epitome of lazy from a graphical stance. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't WW HD run on a new visual engine?

I don't think so. It looks like the same game but with a pretty big face lift.

Honestly I don't see why this is such a big deal. Yeah, it should have been cheaper, but then again so did a lot of these "rereleases"

I can remember for years after it came out Nintendo fans weren't shy about labelling Wind Waker the worst Zelda game ever, (Same thing with Mario Sunshine in fact... That was shat on for years also ) yet now it's some timless classic worth full price on store shelves because it's had about as much work put into it as some HD remasters on other consoles have had?

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug it seems. I mean if Nintendo had actually gone in and finished the game or something that'd be one thing, but have they actually added ANY new content? Like, actual new gameplay content? Or is it like OoT 3DS where they've just added some window dressing and ribbons to what was already present in the original game?

I can see no good reason for this game to be released at any price above 25 bucks or so.

More like it sold poorly so liking it puts fans into a "select" group above those OoT, TP, SS loing mongrel rabble. Same reason MM, II, and countless other poorly selling games/consoles get hated on and then fervently embraced by a small fandom later, and why similar things happen in other areas of life. Doesn't apply too all fans of course, I liked Celda from the get go and rather enjoyed WW at the time and still like it (MM is different simply because I can't stand time-limits and frequent repeating in adventure games, can see why it is good though).

-MB-

Its 50 not 60.

Blueblur1

Some of these posts... Man.

Anyway, I'll gladly pay $50 for it. I wish it was closer to $40 but Wind Waker is a solid game so I know I'll get my money's worth. I haven't played it since the original release so it'll almost be a brand new experience for me.

Anything can be said to be running on a new engine when you change a few chunks of code here and there.

WW HD's new engine features such groundbreaking features as:

-bloom
-color adjustors
-30 frames per second
-midi music that was dated ten years ago
-gamepad message shit nobody will ever use
-bloom
-memory adjustments that allow for a whole one extra item

All this totally new content for just $50 :/

So FF, KH, MGS, etc. have all been devalued because of $30-40 remasters?

Is Nintendo devaluing SMW by charging $10 for it?

We're not talking about every 3D Zelda, we're talking about Wind Waker.

Either way it sure is a lot more unique within it's series than KH1 is gameplay wise.
Im curious, have you played a Kingdom Hearts game before or are you just talking out of your ass?

Edit: Oh wow, you're the dude who thinks every game has aged poorly except Nintendo games from the Earthbound thread. No wonder.

Anth0ny

nintendo doesn't believe in pricing "old" games accordingly, unless they are IDENTICAL to the old game in every way. See: Virtual Console, or even stuff like the Zelda collectors discs, which they didn't even sell at all (free pre-order bonus, renewing a subscription to nintendo power, club nintendo etc.)

an "updated" version of an old game, no matter how substantial (or not substantial) the update is, is a NEW game and worthy of a full price tag. they prime example being, of course, batman arkham city armored edition.

they're just fucked up that way. it's nintendo.

Anything can be said to be running on a new engine when you change a few chunks of code here and there.

WW HD's new engine features such groundbreaking features as:

-bloom
-color adjustors
-30 frames per second
-midi music that was dated ten years ago
-gamepad message shit nobody will ever use
-bloom
-memory adjustments that allow for a whole one extra item

All this totally new content for just $50 :/
Eh, to me what it boils down to is whether or not the game could pass as new in 2013. I legitimately can't think of an HD remake that visually looks on par with a brand new game of this gen.

That's just me though. If people think God of War, MGS, and KH HD remakes look like current gen games then kudos to them.

Eh, to me what it boils down to is whether or not the game could pass as new in 2013. I legitimately can't think of an HD remake that visually looks on par with a brand new game of this gen.

That's just me though. If people think God of War, MGS, and KH HD remakes look like current gen games then kudos to them.
The untouched music alone would render it unpassable.

Darryl

Banned
Even though we have some hardcore corporate defenders in here, that particular post was sarcastic.

don't bring that weird corporate defending crap into this. that swings itself every way possible. there's people here defending SE's blatant cash-ins. i didn't even know that was something people would defend or use in an argument until now. obviously those people think it's a great value just like others think that wind waker will be a great one, as well. i've never even fully played wind waker so i don't have my value goggles on. i'd prefer to experience it in the best way possible.

hamchan

don't bring that weird corporate defending crap into this. that swings itself every way possible. there's people here defending SE's blatant cash-ins. i didn't even know that was something people would defend or use in an argument until now. obviously those people think it's a great value just like others think that wind waker will be a great one, as well. i've never even fully played wind waker so i don't have my value goggles on. i'd prefer to experience it in the best way possible.

Those blatant cash-ins that they put a heck of a lot of work into and they come with extra International/Final Mix content that hasn't been seen in the West before.

Im curious, have you played a Kingdom Hearts game before or are you just talking out of your ass?

Edit: Oh wow, you're the dude who thinks every game has aged poorly except Nintendo games from the Earthbound thread. No wonder.
Muh Kingdom Hearts!

In response, please see the below comment.
/thread

Sami+

Anth0ny is being sarcastic. He thinks this thing is a joke.

Oh, sorry. xD

What's wrong with what SE's doing?

Tripon

nintendo doesn't believe in pricing "old" games accordingly, unless they are IDENTICAL to the old game in every way. See: Virtual Console, or even stuff like the Zelda collectors discs, which they didn't even sell at all (free pre-order bonus, renewing a subscription to nintendo power, club nintendo etc.)

an "updated" version of an old game, no matter how substantial (or not substantial) the update is, is a NEW game and worthy of a full price tag. they prime example being, of course, batman arkham city armored edition.

they're just fucked up that way. it's nintendo.

Arkham City: Armored Edition was published by Warner Brothers.

Even as a customer I know that everything can't be free. And in spite of low prices on iOS, there have been some truly great and innovative games on that platform. Would we get something like Broken Sword 5? Unlikely.

As the video game enthusiast you say you are, did you hate Nintendo for doing the New Play Control series or Nintendo Selects line? From how you word it, those must have been detrimental to the health of the included game IPs.

I think we're getting a little off the rails when we use the word "hate" in a market value pricing discussion.

I don't recall the pricing for New Play Control, were they not full price? Pikmin 2 was $70 used when the NPC version launched, so if it was $20 then yes, Nintendo under priced it.

I'm not 100% on my thoughts on value "best hits" releases. A game that does well enough to count as a greatest hit is likely worth more than bargain bin pricing, but on the other hand the intended market is different (late adopters).

Anyways I'm fine with Nintendo charging this high price if they really think they can make higher profits off it. That's their right to do so. People will probably still eat this game up.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Same thing was said for the 3DS and its high price ("DS sold gangbusters. Yes, 3DS is expensive but people will eat it up") and the WiiU and its uncompelling price/launch ("yes the price is a bit high and the launch titles not great but hey, it's Nintendo and the Wii brand. People will probably eat it up"). People haven't been "eating up" anything Nintendo for some time now. Not to mention Zelda games are far from Nintendo's bestselling series.If I remember correctly Skyward Sword sales were respectable but didn't set the charts on fire, and that was a new major entry of the series on a console with an enormous user base.

Putting all that into perspective, the pricing for this re-release is baffling. But it's Nintendo, as of late they seem to think overpricing their products makes them better or more valuable. I would think they'd correct this behavior after the poor launch of their two major pieces of hardware, but it looks like they have some more learning to do.

Not that I think this tasteless post warrants a response

But see

/thread

And you can go see this

Those blatant cash-ins that they put a heck of a lot of work into and they come with extra International/Final Mix content that hasn't been seen in the West before.

Now that you're done deflecting, why don't you go on and say how every Kingdom Hearts game is essentially the same and how Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep or Dream Drop Distance plays exactly like the original Kingdom Hearts and how it has aged so poorly compared to the great Wind Waker.

Gartooth

LOL, I bet people who complained about earthbound's price are sooo pissed right now!

Earthbound's controversy was overblown. Typical SNES games are $8, so $2 extra for Earthbound isn't that bad when you consider that Nintendo probably had to go through some legal work just to get the game re-released.

Darryl

Banned
What's wrong with what SE's doing?

re-releasing old content and doing the bare minimum needed to get the games warranting a home console release. obviously, that is OK with some people. i'm even OK with it, those are some of my favorite games of all time. i'm fine with them getting some love. however, i'm not deluding myself into thinking that they're being pro-consumer and not doing the bare minimum needed to earn the highest return per dollar... which is exactly what Nintendo is doing. however, it's apparently outrageous with nintendo does it.

Top Bottom