• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Captain Zyrain
Member
(05-17-2017, 08:08 PM)
Captain Zyrain's Avatar

Originally Posted by RedSparrows

I think it's pretty likely competitive will be on discrete maps, but given Ubi's predilection for servicing games these days, maybe one day.

It'd be so damn cool. Surely the really hard work for it is done already? Imagine 8 teams of 4 across that map... ohhhhhhhhhuuhghhhh. The game is already atmospheric as fuck, imagine being HUNTED. With proximity comms. In a storm. In the jungle. Red laser dots. Predator flashbacks...

Oh my christ give it to me Ubi. God damn do it now.

I wonder (hope?) if that is why it's taking so long, maybe they're retooling it to be more than just 4v4.

All the DLC has reused portions of the same overworld map, with new areas "off limits". I am guessing the PvP will take this same approach, so it'll be the full map, but with most areas blocked off from access, essentially creating different areas of operation. Though to be honest I don't know know how much size would be appropriate for 4v4 PvP without making it feel too cramped or potentially taking forever to find each other. Are vehicles in play? Santa Blanca/UNIDAD? Civvies?

Personally I'd like everything to be enabled. It seems like it would be a fun tactic to aggro UNIDAD onto the enemy and escape while they fight. Or have it just happen naturally. 4v4 in a desperate firefight when a UNIDAD truck rolls by and spots someone. Now you have UNIDAD helicopters engaging, reinforcements arriving, while you're still trying to kill the other squad, but now you're all focused on escaping from UNIDAD.. seems like it'd be a lot of fun.. but also could get frustrating, so play testing it would be key.

4v4 in an empty map would seem a little bland to me honestly.

Looking forward to more YETI info though!

Edit: Also they said they are retooling the weather effects for Fallen Ghosts. Curious how that will impact gameplay and/or if it'll be implemented in the PvP mode in the future.
SJRB
Member
(05-18-2017, 07:46 AM)
SJRB's Avatar
That's a great update, super happy with the additional HUD options.
Fistwell
Member
(05-18-2017, 05:11 PM)
Fistwell's Avatar
HUD options you say...
Captain Zyrain
Member
(05-18-2017, 05:53 PM)
Captain Zyrain's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fistwell

HUD options you say...

So many HUD options.

I wish you could save favorite configurations.
CrudeDiatribe
Member
(05-18-2017, 05:56 PM)
CrudeDiatribe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Captain Zyrain

So many HUD options.

I wish you could save favorite configurations.

Difficulty is now remembered per-character, do the HUD options get stored the same way?
Captain Zyrain
Member
(05-18-2017, 08:13 PM)
Captain Zyrain's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrudeDiatribe

Difficulty is now remembered per-character, do the HUD options get stored the same way?

Oh that's nice. I'll have to check, would be helpful. Not the easiest way to switch/save, but that'll do pig, that'll do.

I am excited for Fallen Ghosts.. seems a little cheese with the new enemy types, but seems like it should be a fun romp against hard enemies.
Laughing Banana
Weeping Pickle
(05-19-2017, 04:16 AM)
Laughing Banana's Avatar
Soooo, late to the party I guess? But I have decided to buy this game.

PS4, PSN LaughingBanana. Anyone willing to give me pointers or perhaps join together for a game? That would be wonderful, hahaha.

Well, hopefully I'll see some of you around as I play the game.
TheVisualizer
Member
(05-19-2017, 07:16 AM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laughing Banana

Soooo, late to the party I guess? But I have decided to buy this game.

PS4, PSN LaughingBanana. Anyone willing to give me pointers or perhaps join together for a game? That would be wonderful, hahaha.

Well, hopefully I'll see some of you around as I play the game.

BASIC COMBAT TIPS
1-When driving or flying to a mission area always stop at least 200m short and approach on foot to remain undetected
2-While undetected crouch walk around so you dont make noise, this also makes it hard for enemies far away to see you. Its usually a good idea to start most missions using stealth tactics until shit hits the fan
3-Use the drone before combat to get a good idea of where most of the enemies are before taking any shots
4-You will get a beeping noise and see a red or purple light appear when an enemy sees you, then you have a few seconds to hide or kill them quietly to remain undetected
5- If you are detected its usually a good idea to remove your suppressor to increase your weapon's damage. ADS then press up on the d-pad to quickly do this
6-You can toggle between aiming down sights and over the shoulder by clicking the R3 button while holding down L2. Sometimes over the shoulder is better for close quarters so you can peek around corners without exposing your guy to fire.
7-Press R1 to switch shoulder while hip firing or aiming over the shoulder, this helps for peeking corners
8-When sniping, enemies that are nearby that you arent aiming at will hear your shot even with a silencer on if you are closer than approx 130m from them. If you are sniping someone off in the distance it usually helps to be back far enough that no one else will hear the shot. You can check the distance from the drone or ADS.
9-Enemies will set off alerts if they find one of their buddies dead bodies that you left, but the game's engine seems to make the dead bodies disappear within a few minutes, especially if you just look away from the area where you killed the guy. You can use this to exploit some situations where there seem to be too many enemies to kill stealthily on your own with limited help from other players or the AI sync shot


GET A GOOD SET OF STARTING WEAPONS
1- Do the first mission and you will run across a decent scope for your AR and SMG and a Sniper Rifle that should allow you to get started with decent weapons
2- One of the first couple missions in Itacua (the starting area) will lead you to FOB Armadillo also in Itacua, and in there is the best scope in the game for ARs which will make shooting much easier.
3-Once you branch out you should probably seek out the HTI Sniper Rifle in Monteyuc If you shoot this without the silencer on it usually downs most helicopters in 1 or 2 shots
4-To help sniping go get the best sniper scope in the game (Tactical T5xi) in Koani


HOW MISSIONS AND COLLECTABLES WORK
1-Yellow envelope icons on the map are major intel, check them out to make the main story missions appear on the map. You can also stumble into these story missions by exploring if you come into close proximity to an area where a mission is
2- White circles with '!' are minor intel, finding these will unlock the locations of Skill Point (used to unlock upgrade your abilities), Weapons and Attachments and Bonus Medals (Significantly augments one of your abilities). These also show up when you travel near them
3-Your progress saves automatically and you can play in other people's games and not be locked out of content other than the Narco Road DLC. Don't buy this DLC without doing a little research first as its universally hated except for it's one fan in the world, GAF's Captain Zyrain :)

I usually play with a full squad so its unlikely ill be able to link up with you, hope these tips help a bit. Try to link up with others, the game really shines in coop and play it however you want and have fun!
Captain Zyrain
Member
(05-19-2017, 07:05 PM)
Captain Zyrain's Avatar
Nice write up ^ !

The new HUD options are legit.. it's almost all I could ask for.

The only thing left would be to have a slider where you could make them opaque. For some (Like what missions you're on) I don't need it sitting up there the whole time, but being able to make it less visible, or find a way to make it show up when you need it (a la Ammo) would be nice. It's nit picky though.

Turning off enemy markers but leaving on waypoints is a godsend. Give a tangible difficulty boost too, while still allowing you to figure out where the heck you're going.

I've gotten so used to no minimap that I don't think I'll turn it back on, even with the ability to remove the enemy bloom from it.

They also fixed it so I finally got my weapons achievements! About time!
Unity2012
Member
(05-19-2017, 07:11 PM)
Unity2012's Avatar
I just wanted to thank people like RedSparrows, Captain Zyrain and TheVisualizer for the fantastic reads you guys continue to post. I've learned a lot more about the game and managed to stay updated about all new changes.

Thank you.
TheVisualizer
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:22 PM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Captain Zyrain

Nice write up ^ !

The new HUD options are legit.. it's almost all I could ask for.

The only thing left would be to have a slider where you could make them opaque. For some (Like what missions you're on) I don't need it sitting up there the whole time, but being able to make it less visible, or find a way to make it show up when you need it (a la Ammo) would be nice. It's nit picky though.

Turning off enemy markers but leaving on waypoints is a godsend. Give a tangible difficulty boost too, while still allowing you to figure out where the heck you're going.

I've gotten so used to no minimap that I don't think I'll turn it back on, even with the ability to remove the enemy bloom from it.

They also fixed it so I finally got my weapons achievements! About time!


Originally Posted by Unity2012

I just wanted to thank people like RedSparrows, Captain Zyrain and TheVisualizer for the fantastic reads you guys continue to post. I've learned a lot more about the game and managed to stay updated about all new changes.

Thank you.

Thanks for the props guys, im just glad to help people enjoy this game that I really like
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(05-19-2017, 10:25 PM)
NullPointer's Avatar
With the new HUD options, is there a way to turn off enemy markers but keep the markers for the players in your squad?

I couldn't find a way last night when playing with the options, but I was also running solo and so couldn't tell whether the behavior might be different when playing with other people instead of AI teammates.

When we've run some co-op with the HUD the one communication that took the most time was in describing where we each were. Now we probably should've stuck together more but shit happens, and in jungle or forest environments it becomes very easy to lose trck of each other.
TheVisualizer
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:42 PM)
TheVisualizer's Avatar

Originally Posted by NullPointer

With the new HUD options, is there a way to turn off enemy markers but keep the markers for the players in your squad?

I couldn't find a way last night when playing with the options, but I was also running solo and so couldn't tell whether the behavior might be different when playing with other people instead of AI teammates.

When we've run some co-op with the HUD the one communication that took the most time was in describing where we each were. Now we probably should've stuck together more but shit happens, and in jungle or forest environments it becomes very easy to lose trck of each other.

I thought i saw separate options. Theres one for enemies and rebels and one that shows the names of your teammates. I have played around at all though so I dont know how the friendly markers works with A.I. vs human players.
Captain Zyrain
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:01 PM)
Captain Zyrain's Avatar

Originally Posted by NullPointer

With the new HUD options, is there a way to turn off enemy markers but keep the markers for the players in your squad?

I couldn't find a way last night when playing with the options, but I was also running solo and so couldn't tell whether the behavior might be different when playing with other people instead of AI teammates.

When we've run some co-op with the HUD the one communication that took the most time was in describing where we each were. Now we probably should've stuck together more but shit happens, and in jungle or forest environments it becomes very easy to lose trck of each other.

As Visualizer said, there is a setting for "Team NAMES" and one for "Enemy and Rebel MARKERS". So I am not sure if they're tied together or not. I'd hope so.

I know in single player, turning off team names made the AI have nothing above their heads.

You CAN turn on destination markers and item markers separately from enemies/etc. So you could place down a marker beacon at your location to help coordinate. That is what made "No markers" on before so hard.. you could never find anyone, or figure out where you were going! A first person game might work better than way, but in 3rd person it really just felt like getting lost all the time.

The time and GPS coordinates are nice too.

I killed El Yeti! You get a kinda cool white ghilli suit.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(05-19-2017, 11:06 PM)
NullPointer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Captain Zyrain

As Visualizer said, there is a setting for "Team NAMES" and one for "Enemy and Rebel MARKERS". So I am not sure if they're tied together or not. I'd hope so.

I know in single player, turning off team names made the AI have nothing above their heads.

There is a setting for "Team Names in ADS" but I couldn't see any names with it on or off with the AI (in or out of ADS), which makes me think I need another HUD option to show before that one can work.

Will give it another try tonight.
JP
Member
(05-20-2017, 08:22 PM)
JP's Avatar
I'm a real stickler for 100% games like this, the FarCry games and games that I'll go back to months after I complete them the story to ensure that I collect every bit of "stuff" that's hidden around.

I'm not far from completing the campaign now after 79 hours (I had no idea I'd spent that long on it) and I was wondering if somebody on here would be able to help me get the two online trophies before I complete the game? I'll then be able to return from time to time and finish whatever needs doing.

I'd really grateful if somebody could assist me and you'll obviously earn them yourself at the same time and they seem really simple. I'm on PlayStation 4 and in the UK.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Finished the Job

Killed an enemy in close combat who was hurt by another player.

Originally Posted by Teamwork!

Completed 3 missions with another player.

J_Viper
Member
(05-20-2017, 10:52 PM)
J_Viper's Avatar
Haven't played this in a while, but after the latest update, the game now causes my pc to hard lock when launched.

Is this caused by the new AntiCheat system that now comes up post-update?
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(05-21-2017, 05:54 AM)
firehawk12's Avatar
How do you leave a match in this game without quitting to the main menu?
Human Resources
Member
(Yesterday, 07:33 PM)
Human Resources's Avatar
beat the game online this weekend with some randos, now i want to do a full completionist run

just started on Hard with a female ghost

in my headcanon she is the secret granddaughter of The Boss and is leading a reformed Cobra Unit into Bolivia.

Will she too become a demon of the battlefield?

NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(Yesterday, 07:40 PM)
NullPointer's Avatar
So did some HUD experimenting over the weekend.

Looks like the "Enemy and Rebels" HUD option is incorrectly named, as you have to enable those markers in order to see the location/names of your other team members.

Bummer. I was really hoping to have allied positions enabled while keeping all other markers disabled. Hell, they even named the options that way.

So my latest lo-HUD tuning is to run the game on Advanced (to lessen the AI cheese when alerted), with no HUD options enabled except for "Items and Equipment", "Intel", "Objective Markers" and "Notifications".

Notifications adds a lot of clutter, but the game will screw you many times if you don't enable it. Same with Objective markers.

I'd like to see further patches for UI, and maybe some sliders to dial in the AI behavior, along the lines of Sniper Elite. If possible the first thing I'd do is up the detection on snipers.
Last edited by NullPointer; Yesterday at 07:47 PM.
____
Member
(Yesterday, 08:29 PM)
Is it just me or are Vehicle Dropoffs supremely fucked?

They either drop a mile away from me, half hanging off a cliff or on top of a building, helicopters drop in a place where no matter what, when I get in the propellers hit some shit and blow the thing up, or never show up at all?

Maybe (MAYBE) 1 out of 10 will drop within a reasonable distance for actual use.
Evolved1
make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
(Yesterday, 11:44 PM)
Wish I could turn off the friendly dipshit AI. They completely ruin single player. And they never shut the fuck up.
Captain Zyrain
Member
(Today, 12:34 AM)
Captain Zyrain's Avatar

Originally Posted by NullPointer

So did some HUD experimenting over the weekend.

Looks like the "Enemy and Rebels" HUD option is incorrectly named, as you have to enable those markers in order to see the location/names of your other team members.

Bummer. I was really hoping to have allied positions enabled while keeping all other markers disabled. Hell, they even named the options that way.

So my latest lo-HUD tuning is to run the game on Advanced (to lessen the AI cheese when alerted), with no HUD options enabled except for "Items and Equipment", "Intel", "Objective Markers" and "Notifications".

Notifications adds a lot of clutter, but the game will screw you many times if you don't enable it. Same with Objective markers.

I'd like to see further patches for UI, and maybe some sliders to dial in the AI behavior, along the lines of Sniper Elite. If possible the first thing I'd do is up the detection on snipers.

Yeah I think I'm at about the same. Played around with it over the weekend as well.

Not being able to see your human teammates is a little frustrating.. BUT it is nice not seeing their big stupid white name floating all over the place. If you look at the ground and hit "A" (on Xbox) it puts the little marker on the ground, so you can communicate where you are. I also leave Sync Shot markers on, so you can differentiate the enemies to your teammates. If they didn't all look the same it would be easier, but it is what it is. Saying "I'll get #2, you get #3" is easier than "Uh I'll get the guy in white, over there, by that stack of tires!" It's a little cheese, but for smoother game play I accept it.

Agreed I would like the options to get even better, but we're a long way from where we started at, and I appreciate that.

Fallen Ghosts is supposed to have Super Snipers.
Laughing Banana
Weeping Pickle
(Today, 04:44 AM)
Laughing Banana's Avatar
People seemingly are not so hot on Ghost Recon Wildlands but last night I played with a friend, just the two of us, as we tried to enter a village filled with dozens upon dozens of enemies to retrieve intel or something. I moved up to the cliffside next to the village while my friend work his way up from the front and we proceed little by little, killing enemies one by one with me sniping from the hills and he CQC-ing with his silenced pistol, we take turns in warning each other about enemies that appear along the path..

During this, the sun set down, and then all of a sudden rain came down, complete with thunderstorms, *PLUS* there's various smokes coming out from the village, and scores of ravens are circling above it as if they are hungry for more death and carnage.

And it struck me how epic and beautiful the whole setup was. It's like a scene from the movie, it was breathtaking. It was as if by coincidence, all the random gameplay elements--the time, the weather, etc--merged into one for a truly Hollywood-like experience at that exact moment.

I am still thinking about it now.
Slackbladder
Member
(Today, 04:52 AM)
Slackbladder's Avatar
I just returned to this after about a month and there's a patch. Swear I had patch 3.5 before and now it's 4. But I'm downloading 47GB! That can't be right. That's the whole game again. Wtf?
Captain Zyrain
Member
(Today, 05:53 AM)
Captain Zyrain's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laughing Banana

People seemingly are not so hot on Ghost Recon Wildlands but last night I played with a friend, just the two of us, as we tried to enter a village filled with dozens upon dozens of enemies to retrieve intel or something. I moved up to the cliffside next to the village while my friend work his way up from the front and we proceed little by little, killing enemies one by one with me sniping from the hills and he CQC-ing with his silenced pistol, we take turns in warning each other about enemies that appear along the path..

During this, the sun set down, and then all of a sudden rain came down, complete with thunderstorms, *PLUS* there's various smokes coming out from the village, and scores of ravens are circling above it as if they are hungry for more death and carnage.

And it struck me how epic and beautiful the whole setup was. It's like a scene from the movie, it was breathtaking. It was as if by coincidence, all the random gameplay elements--the time, the weather, etc--merged into one for a truly Hollywood-like experience at that exact moment.

I am still thinking about it now.

Yep! That's the game in a nutshell for me. There are so many (too many to count) cinematic moments in this game, most of them unscripted. They lay out the toys and you create the action.

Here on GAF a lot of people instantly poo-poo'd the game because dudebroshootergame.. Which I mean it kind of deserved, especially before the patches kinda fixed the repetitive dialog. The minimal story is actually pretty good though, sometimes brutal actually. It's a fucked up place and you're fighting fucked up people. By the time I got to Sueno I seriously wanted to put my boot up his ass.

I hope they have a good stream of content to keep this game going.. It's a great base to start with. I can boot it up and play alone for a little while, challenging myself to tackle a base in a new way, limit my weapons, etc.. Or I can join with some friends and just go to town on Santa Blanca. Really curious how PvP will play with our GAF crowd.
Weetrick
Member
(Today, 05:59 AM)
Weetrick's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laughing Banana

People seemingly are not so hot on Ghost Recon Wildlands but last night I played with a friend, just the two of us, as we tried to enter a village filled with dozens upon dozens of enemies to retrieve intel or something. I moved up to the cliffside next to the village while my friend work his way up from the front and we proceed little by little, killing enemies one by one with me sniping from the hills and he CQC-ing with his silenced pistol, we take turns in warning each other about enemies that appear along the path..

During this, the sun set down, and then all of a sudden rain came down, complete with thunderstorms, *PLUS* there's various smokes coming out from the village, and scores of ravens are circling above it as if they are hungry for more death and carnage.

And it struck me how epic and beautiful the whole setup was. It's like a scene from the movie, it was breathtaking. It was as if by coincidence, all the random gameplay elements--the time, the weather, etc--merged into one for a truly Hollywood-like experience at that exact moment.

I am still thinking about it now.

I had a blast playing this game with a friend and experienced tons of great moments like this. The general gamer consensus was negative right out of the gate, but I'm glad I bought it anyway. I think podcasts and forums were too harsh.

Thread Tools