• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

ocean
Banned
(05-19-2017, 09:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Juan

Well, you didn't play D2, so how can you tell it's not? Speculation I guess?

RoI was like 20$ if I remember right (maybe I'm wrong, I'm not sure)? So D2 will be like 60$, so maybe it will be 1,5 hour * 3 (like the price), so 4,5 hours? Did you count the Raid in the 1,5 hour?

Awhat they wanted to do with D1 and I'm illustrating my point with examples, in the end, saying that TTK felt more like a proper game changer than D2 seems to be.
]

First off, RoI was US$30, while TTK was US$40. Let's compare these real quick.

RoI brought us 1 new playable space (The Plaguelands), nearly a third of which is reskinned old geometry (Cosmodrome Patrol). TTK gave us a fully new playable space (The Dreadnaught), but it's also the smallest of them all - hence no Sparrows. D2 is 4 completely new playable spaces, boasting significantly bigger size and wealth of activities. Jury is still out on the quality of these treasure hunt and adventure side quests, but in terms of patrol space content volume this eclipses what we got in the 4 D1 paid expansions *combined*.

We don't know how many strikes D2 is shipping with. D1 shipped with 6 (1 of which was PS exclusive). For reference, TDB gave us 2 (1 of which was PS exclusive); HoW brought 1; TTK brought us 5 (1 of which was PS exclusive); RoI brought 3 (2 of which are remixed old Strikes; it would be more honest to say we got 1 new Strike). I can't imagine D2 shipping with fewer Strikes than D1 did. Can't say for sure until confirmation obviously, but 6-9 is a reasonable guess. Meaning anywhere between what Vanilla brought and the actual sum of every other expansion.

I understand the reveal not showing what you wanted to see, or seeing that the stuff you didn't like about D1 isn't changing. I think many of the people who didn't like D1 still won't like D2 because it's largely a continuation (with improvements) of the same formula - which is what fans wanted for better or worse.

But do you really think it makes any sense comparing this to an expansion given the amount of content we're looking at? I mean once you dump the original 4 planets and switch them for 4 new, bigger ones...once you revamp the entire gear and subclass perk setup (INT/DIS/STR gone, Special/Heavy switched to Energy/Power with different focus for weapon switching, Armor Recovery Agility tied to armor instead of Class, ground-up rebalance from scratch of Class balance etc)...once you switch your Campaign vision from "be your own Legend at your own pace and in whatever order you want" which led to an incoherent incomprehensible story to a cinematic story driven narrative with cutscenes and mission dialogue...swap barren Patrols to areas with NPCs giving quests and treasure hunts and Uncharted areas to explore....

It's still recognizably Destiny (hence the name and not a new IP like some people seemed to have wanted). But it's also immediately apparent that it's a new game. Like, it may not have everything I wanted, or have stuff I didn't want, but it's still clearly a full blown sequel imo
WeTeHa
Member
(05-19-2017, 09:53 PM)
WeTeHa's Avatar
Did bungie really take out blink? I'm sad.
MrAnderson
Member
(05-19-2017, 09:56 PM)
For all of those who watched the full stream, which I did not, does it look like they give a damn about the story this go around? Seems like they may just kill off the traveler to let that story die out.
ocean
Banned
(05-19-2017, 09:57 PM)

Originally Posted by MrAnderson

For all of those who watched the full stream, which I did not, does it look like they give a damn about the story this go around? Seems like they may just kill off the traveler to let that story die out.

No way of telling whether the story will be any good, but at least this game clearly has a story so that's a start.
Jest Chillin
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:02 PM)
Jest Chillin's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrAnderson

For all of those who watched the full stream, which I did not, does it look like they give a damn about the story this go around? Seems like they may just kill off the traveler to let that story die out.

There appears to be real effort. Both Guardians and Cabal have clearly defined and revealed motivations. You can watch the stream in VOD format on Bungie's twitch channel at your convenience if you want. They keep all their streams up there.
Trickster
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:05 PM)
Trickster's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrAnderson

For all of those who watched the full stream, which I did not, does it look like they give a damn about the story this go around? Seems like they may just kill off the traveler to let that story die out.

If what they showed is representative of what they are doing with the campaign, then yeah they give a damn
stay gold
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:06 PM)
stay gold's Avatar

Originally Posted by WeTeHa

Did bungie really take out blink? I'm sad.

We haven't seen the new bladedancer or voidwalker skilltrees yet so I (stupidly) have hope.
Xater
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:13 PM)
On the issue of disappointment: I also thought I'd see more changes, but it seems like they are delivering a ton of content and fixing most of the problems the first game had. It feels more like housekeeping, than actually moving forward. That being said it should be enough for me to return and play hundreds of hours again. The only thing I am not sure about is the 4v4 format in PvP. I get why, but sometimes I just want to play PvP without going full try hard.
WeTeHa
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:13 PM)
WeTeHa's Avatar

Originally Posted by stay gold

We haven't seen the new bladedancer or voidwalker skilltrees yet so I (stupidly) have hope.

Man I hope so too. Love blink and I'd be really sad if they took it out completely. On the other hand, having a shadestep equivalent for all hunter subclasses is awesome.

I'm also glad they didn't change a lot of the hud. Destiny hud is great.
Kyoufu
(05-19-2017, 10:15 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xater

On the issue of disappointment: I also thought I'd see more changes, but it seems like they are delivering a ton of content and fixing most of the problems the first game had. That should be enough for me to return and play hundreds of hours again. The only thing I am not sure about is the 4v4 format in PvP. I get why, but sometimes I just want to play PvP without going full try hard.

Well you wouldn't be getting that in Destiny 1's 6v6 either. They changed it to skill-based matchmaking so PVP became full on tryhard. No casual play whatsoever.

Hoping that changes with D2 but I'm not holding my breath...
TyrantII
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:16 PM)
TyrantII's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrAnderson

For all of those who watched the full stream, which I did not, does it look like they give a damn about the story this go around? Seems like they may just kill off the traveler to let that story die out.

The Vanguard gets scattered across the system after failing the city. There's a baddy that looks more interesting than Oryx to me. Looks like the NPCs also will have rolls in missions besides narration and exposition. Lot more set pieces going bang around you while you kill all the things.

They're taking a step up from TTK. I'm not worried.
Xater
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Kyoufu

Well you wouldn't be getting that in Destiny 1's 6v6 either. They changed it to skill-based matchmaking so PVP became full on tryhard. No casual play whatsoever.

Hoping that changes with D2 but I'm not holding my breath...

I definitely hope they have something in mind for people that want to play the competitive modes casually. I mean I probably spend most of my time in the coop content, but it's fun to switch things up, right?

I should probably mention I already have the digital deluxe edition pre-ordered because I am an idiot.
BreezyLimbo
Banned
(05-19-2017, 10:22 PM)
I feel like D2, in terms of content, is the equivalent of a WoW expansion.

That is, new campaign, new enemies, alot of new areas, alot of new loot, and hopefully alot of new/changed systems. Basically content that would do better being added to the old base game.

Calling it "2" and focusing on "2" is a bit of a mistake? Idk. World of Warcraft has managed to live for what, 13 years, without having to make a "WoW 2"? I feel thats why they have to keep emphasizing the 2. Because otherwise it can and will be mistaken for an expansion.

Its also the question of, if 3 years from now, we'll see "Destiny 3" and lose everything we had previously earned. Like..how do they expand on D2 without resorting to release D3 as to not confuse players?

Like...we're going down a sketchy path. Are we to expect to lose progress and start back at levelling 1-20 for D3? Theres certainly precedent that we will.
MythicReclaimer
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:28 PM)
MythicReclaimer's Avatar
So the base abilities across all subclasses for each class are...

Hunter - the option of refilling your magazine or melee on the shadestep-like maneuver

Warlock - the option of empowerment for either a damage or health buff

Titan - the option of a shield wall or ?

...what's the Titan's second option?
Arrrammis
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:30 PM)
Arrrammis's Avatar

Originally Posted by MythicReclaimer

So the base abilities across all subclasses for each class are...

Hunter - the option of refilling your magazine or melee on the shadestep-like maneuver

Warlock - the option of empowerment for either a damage or health buff

Titan - the option of a shield wall or ?

...what's the Titan's second option?

The titan puts down a shield wall either way, but one option has a shorter wall that you can crouch behind and shoot over, while the other option is a large wall that is taller than the player, so you have to walk around the wall to shoot enemies.
Kyoufu
(05-19-2017, 10:30 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xater

I definitely hope they have something in mind for people that want to play the competitive modes casually. I mean I probably spend most of my time in the coop content, but it's fun to switch things up, right?

I should probably mention I already have the digital deluxe edition pre-ordered because I am an idiot.

You said you were going to buy The Taken King but you bailed on that :P

I don't think you're an idiot though. Destiny is legit fun and improved a lot since you last played. D2 should be awesome.
Xater
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Kyoufu

You said you were going to buy The Taken King but you bailed on that :P

I don't think you're an idiot though. Destiny is legit fun and improved a lot since you last played. D2 should be awesome.

Wait what? I did buy TTK and totally played it as well. It showed me that they know what they need to fix. I enjoyed the campaign a lot, and D2 seems to take it even further in that department.

I didn't get Rise of Iron. That just seemed superfluous.
MythicReclaimer
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:33 PM)
MythicReclaimer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Arrrammis

The titan puts down a shield wall either way, but one option has a shorter wall that you can crouch behind and shoot over, while the other option is a large wall that is taller than the player, so you have to walk around the wall to shoot enemies.

Oh, OK, now that you put it in those terms I do remember seeing two different shield wall sizes...I just didn't put it together as two different options.
Kyoufu
(05-19-2017, 10:34 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xater

Wait what? I did buy TTK and totally played it as well.

Huh, weird. You said you were going to pass after Gamescom and then I don't remember seeing you online. At least not on PSN.
VE3TRO
Formerly Gizmowned
(05-19-2017, 10:34 PM)
VE3TRO's Avatar
Doesn't Ikora (Void) use blink to grab Cayde in the cinematic opening? Can't see them showing it then not having an option.
ultrazilla
(05-19-2017, 10:35 PM)
ultrazilla's Avatar
My son is trying to get to 100 Twitch followers on his channel. He's kaijuseijin and once was as high as 100 in the world in Destiny PvP. He now doesn't care about "ELO" and just wants to help carry people to Flawless trials. I've already seen him do numerous carries and get people Flawless for the very first times with him and whichever awesome friend he plays with(who are good as well). He's on PS4

He's Trials matches he's beaten True Vanguard, Lucky and Buttwipe(LaB) and a host of other "top players". So if you want help, especially going Flawless if you've never been before Destiny 2 hits, give him a follow and he'll help you out!

Thanks, Ultrazilla

Here's his channel: https://www.twitch.tv/kaijuseijin
Pandora012
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:36 PM)
Pandora012's Avatar

Originally Posted by VE3TRO

Doesn't Ikora (Void) use blink to grab Cayde in the cinematic opening? Can't see them showing it then not having it an option.

Yeah it looked like it.
Kyoufu
(05-19-2017, 10:37 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by VE3TRO

Doesn't Ikora (Void) use blink to grab Cayde in the cinematic opening? Can't see them showing it then not having it an option.

Zavala used Titan bubble in the intro. 🤔
MythicReclaimer
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:37 PM)
MythicReclaimer's Avatar

Originally Posted by VE3TRO

Doesn't Ikora (Void) use blink to grab Cayde in the cinematic opening? Can't see them showing it then not having it an option.

Zavala also used the Blessing of Light Ward of Dawn so I'm not sure it matters.
Xater
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Kyoufu

Huh, weird. You said you were going to pass after Gamescom and then I don't remember seeing you online. At least not on PSN.

You must have somehow missed me then. Maybe we can be Titan buddies again in D2. I want that damn shield. Let me be space Captain America.
MrAnderson
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:49 PM)

Originally Posted by ocean

No way of telling whether the story will be any good, but at least this game clearly has a story so that's a start.

Originally Posted by Jest Chillin

There appears to be real effort. Both Guardians and Cabal have clearly defined and revealed motivations. You can watch the stream in VOD format on Bungie's twitch channel at your convenience if you want. They keep all their streams up there.

Originally Posted by Trickster

If what they showed is representative of what they are doing with the campaign, then yeah they give a damn

Originally Posted by TyrantII

The Vanguard gets scattered across the system after failing the city. There's a baddy that looks more interesting than Oryx to me. Looks like the NPCs also will have rolls in missions besides narration and exposition. Lot more set pieces going bang around you while you kill all the things.

They're taking a step up from TTK. I'm not worried.

I'll take your all's word for it. I just hope they don't string us along with things like finally getting to see Rasputin.
Arrrammis
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:51 PM)
Arrrammis's Avatar
Man, the more gameplay I watch the more I need that beta in my life.
therealminime
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:51 PM)

Originally Posted by MrAnderson

I'll take your all's word for it. I just hope they don't string us along with things like finally getting to see Rasputin.

I suspect you'll have to wait for the second expansion for that, which is seemingly Rasputin themed.

Arrrammis
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:55 PM)
Arrrammis's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrAnderson

I'll take your all's word for it. I just hope they don't string us along with things like finally getting to see Rasputin.

Originally Posted by therealminime

I suspect you'll have to wait for the second expansion for that, which is seemingly Rasputin themed.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think you'll ever "see" Rasputin more than we did in D1. He's literally just a program, an AI. He doesn't have a tangible form like the Vex Minds appear to. We see his core in the Dark Below missions (and defend it from the hive), I think that's the closest we'll get to "seeing" him. But if it turns out that he creates a body for himself a la Ultron, I will be excited to see what happens.
Ruthless_Barbarian
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:12 PM)
Ruthless_Barbarian's Avatar

Originally Posted by ultrazilla

My son is trying to get to 100 Twitch followers on his channel. He's kaijuseijin and once was as high as 100 in the world in Destiny PvP. He now doesn't care about "ELO" and just wants to help carry people to Flawless trials. I've already seen him do numerous carries and get people Flawless for the very first times with him and whichever awesome friend he plays with(who are good as well). He's on PS4

He's Trials matches he's beaten True Vanguard, Lucky and Buttwipe(LaB) and a host of other "top players". So if you want help, especially going Flawless if you've never been before Destiny 2 hits, give him a follow and he'll help you out!

Thanks, Ultrazilla

Here's his channel: https://www.twitch.tv/kaijuseijin

Nice, have played with him (or you) during y1 and y2, mostly raids and pve :)

Good luck to him, gave him a follow.
MythicReclaimer
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:18 PM)
MythicReclaimer's Avatar
Some bits and pieces of info that wasn't in the live gameplay reveal (don't think it has been posted)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxUFCSmaO0
WizzNARD
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:27 PM)
WizzNARD's Avatar
So am I the only who noticed a titan bubble thing in some of the footage from yesterday? I thought it was the gameplay trailer but it's not there. I swore I saw one, and not the new barrier thing that titans have now. It looked like the ward of dawn, but it looked like arc or something instead of void. Maybe I was seeing things.

Did anyone else notice this?
BoBoThunder
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:33 PM)
BoBoThunder's Avatar

Originally Posted by WizzNARD

So am I the only who noticed a titan bubble thing in some of the footage from yesterday? I thought it was the gameplay trailer but it's not there. I swore I saw one, and not the new barrier thing that titans have now. It looked like the ward of dawn, but it looked like arc or something instead of void. Maybe I was seeing things.

Did anyone else notice this?

The titan vanguard definitely had it. But I think we get a Titan class skill that sets up a barrier you can crouch behind.
WizzNARD
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:35 PM)
WizzNARD's Avatar

Originally Posted by BoBoThunder

The titan vanguard definitely had it. But I think we get a Titan class skill that sets up a barrier you can crouch behind.

Yeah, I know zavala had one for sure. I'm going to re watch the event soon, maybe I can find it.

It was a player character, and it was a titan. He threw up a bubble and it was kinda silver looking. Again not the barrier, but a bubble.

Maybe I'm going crazy or something, but I swear I saw it.
MythicReclaimer
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:36 PM)
MythicReclaimer's Avatar

Originally Posted by WizzNARD

Yeah, I know zavala had one for sure. I'm going to re watch the event soon, maybe I can find it.

It was a player character, and it was a titan. He threw up a bubble and it was kinda silver looking. Again not the barrier, but a bubble.

Maybe I'm going crazy or something, but I swear I saw it.

Now that you mention it I do remember it but forgot about it honestly due to all the info coming out, it was definitely arc based. Have we seen any pictures of the Striker skill page?

Edit: Just looked at the Striker skill page and noticed there were 4 locked skills with the bottom one being a sphere-like icon.
vctor182
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:44 PM)
vctor182's Avatar
Feels like Destiny alright, I have a lot of complains about what I've saw but I'll be in the beta day 1
Hedera
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:51 PM)

Originally Posted by WizzNARD

So am I the only who noticed a titan bubble thing in some of the footage from yesterday? I thought it was the gameplay trailer but it's not there. I swore I saw one, and not the new barrier thing that titans have now. It looked like the ward of dawn, but it looked like arc or something instead of void. Maybe I was seeing things.

Did anyone else notice this?

This? https://youtu.be/Daey6qGgLKU?t=39m15s

If so, that looks like the barrier ability.
Number45
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:51 PM)
Number45's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spoo

Someone linked this elsehwere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fcf...outu.be&t=4254

Super interesting. Not only is trials 4v4, for sure, but they are going back to connection-based rather than win-based Trials. Also, since guided games works, Trials basically has random match making now.

Trials is easy mode now, or more fun? Thoughts?

Picked up a little tidbit of information earlier that the right element weapon has a damage boost against a roaming super of the same element (a way of balancing the fact that the TTK is longer now, and the increased health you get when in super) - so that's going to make weapon choice interesting as you're setting up for Trials.
MythicReclaimer
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:54 PM)
MythicReclaimer's Avatar

Originally Posted by hedera_

This? https://youtu.be/Daey6qGgLKU?t=39m15s

If so, that looks like the barrier ability.

Yep, that was what I saw and yes that's the Towering Barricade ability. With the quickness of the scene and cutaways it made it look like a bubble initially.
WizzNARD
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:59 PM)
WizzNARD's Avatar

Originally Posted by hedera_

This? https://youtu.be/Daey6qGgLKU?t=39m15s

If so, that looks like the barrier ability.

Yep I just found it too. My confusion came because it seems curved, so I thought it was a full bubble.

At least I know I'm not losing it now!
DVPredator85
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:26 AM)
DVPredator85's Avatar
Unless they put some broken-ass weapons, I think pvp will be very balanced in D2. I'm digging all the changes to ammo, supers, weapon slots, etc.
jetsetnickradio
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:31 AM)
jetsetnickradio's Avatar
I'm about to do the Nightfall on PS4 if anyone wants to join me.

I figured I'd invite my fellow DGAFers before I hit up my usual LFG site.

If you want to play, send me a message on PSN @ HeroOfHyrule and I'll invite you.
V1ctIm
Junior Member
(05-20-2017, 01:27 AM)
So are the clans as they stand now going to do anything or are we going to have to sign up again? For example, I'm part of NG Around the World right now, but likely I'll switch to DestinyGAF (or one of the regions of that) when D2 launches. Have there been sign ups here yet? Anyone know these precious details?
MrAnderson
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:32 AM)

Originally Posted by therealminime

I suspect you'll have to wait for the second expansion for that, which is seemingly Rasputin themed.

Good point. That is disappointing.

Originally Posted by Arrrammis

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think you'll ever "see" Rasputin more than we did in D1. He's literally just a program, an AI. He doesn't have a tangible form like the Vex Minds appear to. We see his core in the Dark Below missions (and defend it from the hive), I think that's the closest we'll get to "seeing" him. But if it turns out that he creates a body for himself a la Ultron, I will be excited to see what happens.

The final campaign mission in Rise of Iron , to me at least, hinted that he will get a physical body some how. Even if we don't get to see him in a physical form, getting to hear from him in a non bumble bee like manner would be nice. Or even any of the nine for that matter.

Speaking of the Nine, I hope they can explain why they didn't just nuke the Red Legion while they were in space considering they made the Nine out to be super AI with incredible destructive capabilities.
everyday math
Banned
(05-20-2017, 01:41 AM)

Originally Posted by MrAnderson

Good point. That is disappointing.



The final campaign mission in Rise of Iron , to me at least, hinted that he will get a physical body some how. Even if we don't get to see him in a physical form, getting to hear from him in a non bumble bee like manner would be nice. Or even any of the nine for that matter.

Speaking of the Nine, I hope they can explain why they didn't just nuke the Red Legion while they were in space considering they made the Nine out to be super AI with incredible destructive capabilities.

The nine isn't an AI
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(05-20-2017, 01:42 AM)
i always got the impression that the Nine are the "set things in motion" types but not gonna stop or start anything in particular
everyday math
Banned
(05-20-2017, 01:46 AM)

Originally Posted by FyreWulff

i always got the impression that the Nine are the "set things in motion" types but not gonna stop or start anything in particular

The Nine are supposed rulers of the Jovian planets, that is the four outer gas giant planets. I agree they seem definitely seem to have an agenda of some sort.

They let Skoalas go after all.
Deku Tree
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:52 AM)
Deku Tree's Avatar
The Nine feel like the story equivalent of Halo's Forerunners. I doubt Bungie will ever develop them in the game. Only 343 made the mistake of fleshing out the Forerunners in the game.
everyday math
Banned
(05-20-2017, 01:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Deku Tree

The Nine feel like the story equivalent of Halo's Forerunners. I doubt Bungie will ever develop them in the game. Only 343 made the mistake of fleshing out the Forerunners in the game.

I always viewed The Nine as Bungie themselves. The dungeon Masters.
Foxxsoxx
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:02 AM)
Foxxsoxx's Avatar
Bungie, please make exotics gamechangers. Its all I ask. Legendary meta is so boring ;-;

Okay also expand those skill nodes just a bit. They're looking a little bare.

Anyone else super hyped for 4v4 PvP?

Hated 6v6 with a passion, it felt like it had no focus and was a super chaining nightmare.

Thread Tools