• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Professor Renegade
Member
(05-18-2017, 12:34 AM)
Professor Renegade's Avatar

Originally Posted by Red Liquorice

They give better scaling on their respective stats, and lower scaling on others. So if you're going for a pure DEX build for example, it's usually beneficial to go for a sharp upgrade.

Worthwile doing, but by no means mandatory.

Awesome, good to know. I'm looking for the Greatsword so I'll probably infuse it with Heavy.
Empty Space
Member
(05-19-2017, 06:39 PM)
Empty Space's Avatar
Anyone have any tips for the last boss of Ashes? I can get to the last phase, but it's only through chugging estus. Ideally I'd like to it do without help even from an NPC summon.
Morrigan Stark
Arrogant Smirk
(05-19-2017, 06:47 PM)
Morrigan Stark's Avatar

Originally Posted by Empty Space

Anyone have any tips for the last boss of Ashes? I can get to the last phase, but it's only through chugging estus. Ideally I'd like to it do without help even from an NPC summon.

A good shield can be really helpful, especially in the first phase. If you aren't comfortable on the timing for dodging, block instead.

He's weak to frost and poison, so if your build allows for those things (e.g. your weapon is buffable with poison resin, or you use an Irithyll rapier etc.), feel free to try and use them, but don't go out of your way to try and frost/poison him as it's probably counter productive.
Empty Space
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:36 PM)
Empty Space's Avatar

Originally Posted by Morrigan Stark

A good shield can be really helpful, especially in the first phase. If you aren't comfortable on the timing for dodging, block instead.

He's weak to frost and poison, so if your build allows for those things (e.g. your weapon is buffable with poison resin, or you use an Irithyll rapier etc.), feel free to try and use them, but don't go out of your way to try and frost/poison him as it's probably counter productive.

I've gond down the pyro route this time since I've never done it before. I guess I'll give blocking a go, I usually just dodge roll, but my timing has been super off this whole run.
TheSadRanger
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:52 PM)
TheSadRanger's Avatar

Originally Posted by Empty Space

Anyone have any tips for the last boss of Ashes? I can get to the last phase, but it's only through chugging estus. Ideally I'd like to it do without help even from an NPC summon.

Are you talking about Friede or Champion. For Friede I summoned someone who had some backstab 2h dagger build and basically tore her up by repeatedly backstabbing. :p
Empty Space
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:00 AM)
Empty Space's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheSadRanger

Are you talking about Friede or Champion. For Friede I summoned someone who had some backstab 2h dagger build and basically tore her up by repeatedly backstabbing. :p

Friede and I can't reliably parry her for the first phase I tried that a couple of times. I gave up trying that way. I'm SL 66 I'll get there it will just take some doing.
Rich Uncle Skeleton
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:24 AM)
Rich Uncle Skeleton's Avatar

Originally Posted by Empty Space

Friede and I can't reliably parry her for the first phase I tried that a couple of times. I gave up trying that way. I'm SL 66 I'll get there it will just take some doing.

That seems low. Have you finished everything in the main game yet? She's harder than any of those bosses, if for no other reason than the sheer length of the fight like you said.

Some tips:

- Second phase is pretty easy if you keep your distance, so use your pyro in that phase
- In the first phase, the disappearing move was the one that always got me. Here's what ended up working for me: When she does it, run up to her, and when she jumps/dashes away, whip the camera around and look for the cloud of dust indicating where she landed. Rush to that spot to preempt the toss move and get a few free hits.
- For her regular slashes, dodging away seemed to work better for me than dodging toward or to the side.
Noobcraft
Member
(05-21-2017, 06:34 PM)
Felt bad for this guy against Darkeater Midir. Really unfortunate time to die lol.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr%20Noobcraft/video/31428516
laxu
Member
(05-21-2017, 09:40 PM)
laxu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dick Justice

Just got this on PC. Why does character movement look weirdly stuttery? Same as Dragon's Dogma, rotating your character almost looks as though it's stuck at 30fps while everything else is 60fps.

Because that's how it is. Your character just doesn't rotate that smoothly. I guess they decided that the control system allows turning on a dime so when you move the stick it just points the character in that direction without any animation really.

It sure does make aiming spells without lock on a bit annoying.
laxu
Member
(05-21-2017, 09:48 PM)
laxu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Weiss

So I'm going to give DS3 one last shot, and I really liked playing a Sorcerer in DS1. Is that build viable in this game? Should I start as an Assassin or a Sorcerer?

It is viable but only becomes good late game. You basically have to get INT to 60 as soon as you can and always use all the items that give you buffs to spell damage. Early game is very easy with a Sorcerer, midgame becomes quite hard because of fast bosses like Abyss Watchers and several magic resistant ones. I had to respec to a melee build for one of them.

I feel that it needs too much investment in stats and items compared to most other builds. Pyro and Faith builds are much easier as most enemies in the game are weak to either fire or lightning.
iRAWRasaurus
Member
(05-21-2017, 11:01 PM)
iRAWRasaurus's Avatar
PC here, the game keeps randomly crashing on me. Anyone have this issue?
cluto
Member
(05-22-2017, 04:11 AM)
cluto's Avatar

Originally Posted by iRAWRasaurus

PC here, the game keeps randomly crashing on me. Anyone have this issue?

1. Are you using Dropbox to auto-backup saves?
2. Is it the Dreg Heap area of the DLC that's crashing?

Those were both culprits for me.
laxu
Member
(05-22-2017, 08:11 PM)
laxu's Avatar

Originally Posted by iRAWRasaurus

PC here, the game keeps randomly crashing on me. Anyone have this issue?

Happens to me sometimes after hours of playing. Seems the game hates overclocked GPUs or something.
Hippopuncher12
Member
(05-22-2017, 08:16 PM)
Hippopuncher12's Avatar
Damn, I just can't beat Friede's final phase. I can get through the first 2 phases undamaged, but holy shit her infinite stamina and attack spamming is wrecking me. I have put my sign down, and never get summoned I also have waited 30+ minutes for other signs to show up, and none do other than obviously the NPC guy. I am SL 80 is that just too low for signs to show up often?
Empty Space
Member
(Yesterday, 12:48 AM)
Empty Space's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rich Uncle Skeleton

That seems low. Have you finished everything in the main game yet? She's harder than any of those bosses, if for no other reason than the sheer length of the fight like you said.

Some tips:

- Second phase is pretty easy if you keep your distance, so use your pyro in that phase
- In the first phase, the disappearing move was the one that always got me. Here's what ended up working for me: When she does it, run up to her, and when she jumps/dashes away, whip the camera around and look for the cloud of dust indicating where she landed. Rush to that spot to preempt the toss move and get a few free hits.
- For her regular slashes, dodging away seemed to work better for me than dodging toward or to the side.

Coming back to just say the rolling away is what worked here. My instinct has always been to roll into or to the right, but it just wasn't working. So rolling away and depending on how easy she staggers was what did it. Onwards to Ringed City!

Originally Posted by Hippopuncher12

Damn, I just can't beat Friede's final phase. I can get through the first 2 phases undamaged, but holy shit her infinite stamina and attack spamming is wrecking me. I have put my sign down, and never get summoned I also have waited 30+ minutes for other signs to show up, and none do other than obviously the NPC guy. I am SL 80 is that just too low for signs to show up often?

If you're on PC around 10:30 pm EST I can help. I don't think I saw a summon sign even once at SL 60-70



As an aside pyro with Obsidian Blade online is a ton of fun. Baiting a run with black serpent and then nailing them with a free aim chaos vestige is never not great.
Last edited by Empty Space; Yesterday at 12:53 AM.
Zabojnik
No, the other west!
(Yesterday, 11:25 AM)
Zabojnik's Avatar
So it looks like I lost my DS3 save files. Apparently the game doesn't support Steam Cloud? Which ... I'm not even surprised.

Anyway, I bought the Season Pass and want to get started on the DLC. What would be the most painless & elegant way of getting my chara up to where he was? I think I finished the game at LVL 110 or close enough. Importing save files?

EDIT: Yep, that worked through a couple of hoops.
Last edited by Zabojnik; Yesterday at 07:21 PM.
StoppedInTracks
Member
(Yesterday, 09:31 PM)
StoppedInTracks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hippopuncher12

Damn, I just can't beat Friede's final phase. I can get through the first 2 phases undamaged, but holy shit her infinite stamina and attack spamming is wrecking me. I have put my sign down, and never get summoned I also have waited 30+ minutes for other signs to show up, and none do other than obviously the NPC guy. I am SL 80 is that just too low for signs to show up often?

Friede is the hardest boss in the entire DS3 + 2x DLC game. Nameless King is a baby's first Souls boss compared to her. Don't sweat it if you cannot beat her easily - keep on trying and try to level up in the meantime? Every 31 HP/ 12 more damage per attack counts... do you have Second Chance? It helps a lot in the 3rd phase.

Her 3rd phase is pure bullshit but with a bit of luck and TONS of rolling you can make it. I killed her with FUGS so even heaviest weapons are valid for killing her 3rd phase. Attack ONLY if you are 100% sure it will connect and she will not retaliate. One misattack of yours can mean she comboes you to death from full health... :|
Hippopuncher12
Member
(Yesterday, 10:41 PM)
Hippopuncher12's Avatar

Originally Posted by StoppedInTracks

Friede is the hardest boss in the entire DS3 + 2x DLC game. Nameless King is a baby's first Souls boss compared to her. Don't sweat it if you cannot beat her easily - keep on trying and try to level up in the meantime? Every 31 HP/ 12 more damage per attack counts... do you have Second Chance? It helps a lot in the 3rd phase.

Her 3rd phase is pure bullshit but with a bit of luck and TONS of rolling you can make it. I killed her with FUGS so even heaviest weapons are valid for killing her 3rd phase. Attack ONLY if you are 100% sure it will connect and she will not retaliate. One misattack of yours can mean she comboes you to death from full health... :|

Thanks I went ahead, and started going through the Ringed City so I will go back to her when I finish this. I assume when you say second chance you are talking about tears of denial? I do have that so I will try it. You aren't kidding about her being the hardest boss at least for me I agree. First two bosses in Ringed City were nothing so far.

Originally Posted by Empty Space




If you're on PC around 10:30 pm EST I can help. I don't think I saw a summon sign even once at SL 60-70

I am on PS4, but thank you!

Thread Tools