• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For April 2017 [Up: Sony and Microsoft now sharing digital numbers]

Seeing as Xbox numbers include digital, even if it couldn't be discussed by NPD for reasons, it would be interesting to know if XPA titles have above average digital splits, and how exclusives for both platforms perform on the digital side.

Edit: Bottom of the page *cries*

but you're quoted on the top of the page now!

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't read the thread, so sorry if this has already been talked about. Ubi said that Wildlands and For Honor were the 1&2 top sellers for 2017 so far in NA, right? Or it might've been globally. So can we assume that BotW has done less than that? So it'd be the 1.27 mil from March + max of I'm guessing 400K (since Mario Kart was 450K physical, 550K with digital I believe). So Wildlands and For Honor have done at least around 1.6 mil?

My numbers might be wrong/I might be off base, but does that seem reasonable?

blakep267

Haven't read the thread, so sorry if this has already been talked about. Ubi said that Wildlands and For Honor were the 1&2 top sellers for 2017 so far in NA, right? Or it might've been globally. So can we assume that BotW has done less than that? So it'd be the 1.27 mil from March + max of I'm guessing 400K (since Mario Kart was 450K physical, 550K with digital I believe). So Wildlands and For Honor have done at least around 1.6 mil?

They've sold way more than 1.6 million

Probably a safe estimate. They are greater than 1.6 million. How much though we won't really know.

8t65a3s1i.gif

NoPiece

Missing prepositions? Up or down for Hardware, Console and Handheld game sales, and PC software sales?

edit: ok, see the answer in the link:

Hardware: $195 million (up 37 percent from $142 million)
Console software: $304 million (up 6 percent from $287 million)
PC software: $11 million (down 57 percent from $27 million)

goldage

Banned
Have digital sales numbers been retroactively fitted to Horizon for the year or did they only get April's digital sales numbers?
i doubt adding only april's digital sales would have moved the game past gta, me and re7 in ytd so im guessing its all of this year's digital sales

I believe that it was confirmed to have sold ~1.5M copies WW shortly after its NA/EU release. I could be misremembering, though.

That's awesome. Glad to see them finally have a hit on this scale after decades of good work.

Do you know if it's their first though? I want to say P4G might have sold 1m, but I'm not sure.

AdanVC

Holy shit, that is a beautiful top three! <3 My faith in gamers has been restored!

I was expecting the Switch to be #1 again this month but god daaaaamn even the NES Classic charting at #2?? That is insane! A plug and play plastic thingy that it's been hell to get surpassed PS4 and X1 and Mario Kart 8 got #1 spot with just 2 days of tracking sales since the game came on April 28th. Think about that for a second...

Nintendo is BACK, baby! I seriously believe this is Wii-like levels of success with the Switch right now, it's insane. Hope Nintendo fixes those stock issues in order to meet demand because I still need to have one once Splatoon 2 comes out!

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
They've sold way more than 1.6 million
Well yeah, but I've got no numbers other than the ones I've talked about (and which I might be misremembering cos I didn't actually go back and look them up), so I'm just trying to find a floor. That's why I said "at least". I'm probably shit out of luck trying to find a ceiling, anyway.

Probably a safe estimate. They are greater than 1.6 million. How much though we won't really know.
Yeah I know, we probably can't be too sure unless we get more relevant numbers. :\ We don't know the order of magnitude of the difference between Wildlands and BotW in March, so even though it did worse this month, it could be at 2 mil for all we know. I haven't looked up specific numbers for For Honor, so maybe that'll help narrow it down, since Wildlands outperformed that.

Persona 4 Golden being repeatedly hailed as the best game on the Vita, irrespective of the handheld's lack of commercial success, has helped to garner brand awareness to the franchise and I'm glad P5, in addition to its own merits, benefitted from it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Depends, you including Wii U?
Cause then it's closer to 1.7mm. But that's only if you combine

jjonez18

Did Persona 5 have any kind of marketing campaign in North Merica? Or is just based solely off the backs of the Persona faithful spreading the good word of P Studio?

We'll have to wait until next month to see if Switch is showing any signs of slowing. Mario Kart's ridiculous sales tell me that the active userbase is still very engaged, which is a good indicator that it hasn't lost any momentum.

Nintendo's software strategy is near perfect. The one-two punch of Zelda and MK leading straight into E3, where new games will be announced, then ARMS and Splatoon shortly after to keep up the pace.

How are we expecting Splatoon to do btw? We know big things will happen in Japan, but the first game sold just as well in the west. 500k in July possible?

Regiruler

I'm not surprised Puyo didn't chart, the price difference and overall game type screams digital appeal.

But by that token, it's disappointing for anything that charted below it. For the support it got in april, I feel bomberman should have done better.

Did Persona 5 have any kind of marketing campaign in North Merica? Or is just based solely off the backs of the Persona faithful spreading the good word of P Studio?

It had a marketing campaign that was pretty much online-only. Definitely nowhere near the push it got in its native Japan (they fucking rented out Tokyo Tower for a livestream, got this glorious commercial sans the spotty fan translation, and had hands-on previews across the country before its release in September last year), but its online marketing was okay.

Here's hoping an eventual P6 comes out closer to its Japanese release in all territories. None of this 7 month gap between Japan and NA/EU again, please.

Mory Dunz

Depends, you including Wii U?
Cause then it's closer to 1.7mm. But that's only if you combine

thanks for the info

We'll have to wait until next month to see if Switch is showing any signs of slowing. Mario Kart's ridiculous sales tell me that the active userbase is still very engaged, which is a good indicator that it hasn't lost any momentum.

Nintendo's software strategy is near perfect. The one-two punch of Zelda and MK leading straight into E3, where new games will be announced, then ARMS and Splatoon shortly after to keep up the pace.

How are we expecting Splatoon to do btw? We know big things will happen in Japan, but the first game sold just as well in the west. 500k in July possible?

Due to the bigger install base, I think it'll do a good amount better than MK8D's first month, so yeah.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Due to the bigger install base, I think it'll do a good amount better than MK8D's first month, so yeah.

I get the feeling Nintendo will break a bunch of records this year with Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey like they did with Zelda and MK8D.

noshten

They shipped 2.7 million in March with over 1/3 going to NA. For me it seems like NA is being prioritized compared to Japan/EU so I'd still expect over 400K in the NPD for Switch.

In terms of sw, top 5 is likely going to be MK8D, Zelda, GTA, HZD and Persona similarly to majority of sw charts in Europe for April. I personally expect that MK8D will be top due to no other major release coming out and Zelda will be in the top 3 because it is going to continue to sell to new Switch owners for a long while. With US being the biggest Switch market this bodes well for Zelda in the upcoming months as it could probably continue to chart due to new Switch owners.
Persona GTA and HZD are the other likely top 5 games with Persona depending on shipments with the best chance to be in the top 3, perhaps with a slight chance of finishing ahead of Zelda in the US.

In any case April is generally pretty weak month for hw/sw - for me the real question is whether MK8D can retain it's top spot next month or will Injustice 2 be able to sell over 500K and topple the enhanced port.

Expected top 3, much lower shipment than expected for Switch in April.
Horizon ending up much more popular in Europe than in the US for some reason.

I'm expecting MK8D, Injustice 2, Minecraft, GTA to be top of the charts during May, can't think of any other major release that month - so if Zelda maintains high attach rate it might also make the top 5.

Microsoft sharing digital numbers for Minecraft as it releases on the Switch is going to give us a much better idea about the size of digital customers on the Switch. It's 20 for April with digital - so if it really sees a big jump it will be all down to the Switch port.

MK8D is guaranteed to reach a million in the US in it's second month - it's just a matter of whether Injustice will be able to beat it. Personally I think in the end MK8D will take May as well unless there is a shortage of new Switch owners.

Mory Dunz

Expected top 3, much lower shipment than expected for Switch in April.
Horizon ending up much more popular in Europe than in the US for some reason.

I'm expecting MK8D, Injustice 2, Minecraft, GTA to be top of the charts during May, can't think of any other major release that month - so if Zelda maintains high attach rate it might also make the top 5.

Microsoft sharing digital numbers for Minecraft as it releases on the Switch is going to give us a much better idea about the size of digital customers on the Switch. It's 20 for April with digital - so if it really sees a big jump it will be all down to the Switch port.

MK8D is guaranteed to reach a million in the US in it's second month - it's just a matter of whether Injustice will be able to beat it. Personally I think in the end MK8D will take May as well unless there is a shortage of new Switch owners.

wait what? I figured Injustice would have a huge opening and easily be number 1

Top Bottom