• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For April 2017 [Up: Sony and Microsoft now sharing digital numbers]

overcast

Man Ubisoft is killing it this year. They still have the crew 2, AC, and I guess South Park.

Might have 4 top 10 games in a great year for the industry.

RedSwirl

I think this chart shows that the mainstream consumer doesn't give a shit about what games are new. Truly popular games that penetrate that mainstream mind-share basically stay evergreen, even for decades in some cases.

BLOPS II might also show that backwards compatibility might have real effects depending on the popularity of games. It may actually be an important factor next gen if people can still play Destiny 2 or whatever new COD on the PS5. Though most publishers, in the absence of BC, would just do more cross-gen games. If any publisher that wasn't doing COD's annual model had BLOPS II on their hands, they'd probably have just released a remaster with some system to move your save file.

Now that Persona 5 isn't niche perhaps Atlus won't be so lazy with the next one and update the structure and fix issues they've ignored since Persona 3.

sense

Yes because in this day and age games that sell a million are huge successes

Phil was right
In NA for a sp only game that is exclusive to one platform, that is huge. It already sold through 2.8 million worldwide in a couple of weeks and probably around 4 million by now. Stop trying to so hard to downplay its sales to prove phil's point. It doesn't take rocket science to see that games as a service is huge and you can tell just by looking at ghost recon wildlands and for honor up there. The argument is huge sp games differentiate your platform and get people to adopt that system and MS is weak in that department.

Kill3r7

Man Ubisoft is killing it this year. They still have the crew 2, AC, and I guess South Park.

Might have 4 top 10 games in a great year for the industry.

With Far Cry 5 possibly 3. Activision and EA will have at least two each. Take Two at least one. Nintendo at least one as well. Maybe Sony or MS depending on what they have coming out this fall.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This is some twilight zone shit for Nintendo, they've done it again. And NES classic at #2 hardware? Nintendo pls.

Guess not much legs for Horizon it seems.

Its only the #4 most sold game of the year and is a brand new IP on a single platform with no multiplayer of any kind. That and its doing great world wide. I'd say its doing just fine.

Now that Persona 5 isn't niche perhaps Atlus won't be so lazy with the next one and update the structure and fix issues they've ignored since Persona 3.

Oh geeze...lazy? Fuck outta here. I have my issues with the game too, but come on.

Anyway. Persona 5's success is well deserved. Extremely happy for everyone involved and the fan base. Hopefully we get a Golden version within the next 2-3 years!

blakep267

With Far Cry 5 possibly 3. Activision and EA will have at least two each. Take Two at least one. Nintendo at least one as well. Maybe Sony or MS depending on what they have coming out this fall.
THEy will probably have 2-3. For Honor can get bumped out probably and Assassins crew likely wouldn't make it unless it has a massive resurgence. EA will have 3, Activision 2-3, Ubisoft 2, red dead and gta. Maybe either Pokémon or Zelda from Nintendo. So that's likely it.

Kill3r7

THEy will probably have 2-3. For Honor can get bumped out probably and Assassins crew likely wouldn't make it unless it has a massive resurgence. EA will have 3, Activision 2-3, Ubisoft 2, red dead and gta. So that's likely it.

NBA 2k will definitely make it. I don't think EA has anything outside of BF2 and Madden., FIFA will likely end up below Wildlands. Activision only had Destiny and WW2.

blakep267

NBA 2k will definitely make it. I don't think EA has anything outside of BF2 and Madden., FIFA will likely end up below Wildlands. Activision only had Destiny and WW2.
Well FIFA made it last year but I forgot about 2k. So yeah I can see FIFA or madden being the odd man out

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
GTA V, Black Ops 2 and Kingdom Hearts charting there are indications that people do buy and play old games, and there's no excuse to not have backward compatibility on consoles.

Kill3r7

Well FIFA made it last year but I forgot about 2k. So yeah I can see FIFA or madden being the odd man out

Last year was not a particularly strong year saleswise hence FIFA and FFXV. Madden is safe. I would be surprised if it finished outside the Top7. Probably closer to Top5.

Great numbers for Persona 5.

Also, very happy to see Nier hanging in there.

The overall sales of Mass Effect being higher than Resident Evil 7 is really surprising to me. Especially after the very bad reception from both critics and players. Not complaining though, I really liked Andromeda.

Boke1879

I mean yeah, saying it doesn't seem to have huge legs doesn't mean it didn't sell well. Still, considering the reception I expected it to last a bit longer.

Who says it's not? It's still selling over time and it's probably closer to 4 million sold WW.

Unknown?

I mean yeah, saying it doesn't seem to have huge legs doesn't mean it didn't sell well. Still, considering the reception I expected it to last a bit longer.
It's still doing well though. It's top 20. Things would be different if so many games haven't released since Horizon.

Boke1879

GTA V, Black Ops 2 and Kingdom Hearts charting there are indications that people do buy and play old games, and there's no excuse to not have backward compatibility on consoles.

Eh? 2 of those games are re-releases with added visuals and performance. BC is a great feature to have and i've taken advantage of it multiple times. But not having it isn't hindering any consoles performance.

Curufinwe

Oh geeze...lazy? Fuck outta here. I have my issues with the game too, but come on.

Anyway. Persona 5's success is well deserved. Extremely happy for everyone involved and the fan base. Hopefully we get a Golden version within the next 2-3 years!

And they have made vast QOL improvements since P3 and P4.

Kusagari

Blops 1 and 2 both blowing up like crazy when made BC only seems to confirm most fans think the MP shit the bed after Blops 2.

Activision needs to right the ship in that regard with WW2.

Top Bottom