• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

pramath

Banned
The 360 ports are bad ports too, but the framerate is better than in the PS3 version.

Oh boy :(
Well, I can only hope the sheer quality of the games (SH2 is supposed to be the greatest horror game ever, right?) will help smooth out these issues. Plus, a lot of those sound like the game isn't faithful to the originals, and since I never played the originals... well, you can't miss what you've never had, right?

UrbanRats

Yeah, but some bugs are downright hideous regardles of that.
The missing fog (you can see a comparison a few pages back) in SH2 exposes objects (or the absence of) that you weren't supposed to see.
It's not like the washed out colors or the censored scene that, if you never played the original games, you may not notice..

EDIT:
Here..
zV6Fp.jpg

Left - HD collection.
Right - Original.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Oh boy :(
Well, I can only hope the sheer quality of the games (SH2 is supposed to be the greatest horror game ever, right?) will help smooth out these issues. Plus, a lot of those sound like the game isn't faithful to the originals, and since I never played the originals... well, you can't miss what you've never had, right?

SH2 and 3 are definitely great games, and you should be able to enjoy the HD collection if it's your first time playing them, as not even bad ports can take away the story or the enemy design.

pramath

Banned
Yeah, but some bugs are downright hideous regardles of that.
The missing fog (you can see a comparison a few pages back) in SH2 exposes objects (or the absence of) that you weren't supposed to see.
It's not like the washed out colors or the censored scene that, if you never played the original games, you may not notice..

EDIT:
Here..
zV6Fp.jpg

Left - HD collection.
Right - Original.

Well this is sad...

SH2 and 3 are definitely great games, and you should be able to enjoy the HD collection if it's your first time playing them, as not even bad ports can take away the story or the enemy design.
Thank goodness. Maybe I'll try hunting down the originals later on, to play them in their intended glory.

K' Dash

so glad I saw this coming a mile away and used those $40, I bought deus ex hr, la noire and rayman origins, I regret nothing, I'll keep my memories intact.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Other games Hijinx made:

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment
TouchMaster 3
Karaoke Revolution Glee: Volume 3
Frogger Returns

That was a terrible game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Apparently Tomm was primarily responsible for the voice recording, so I dont know if he'd be able to shed light on what went wrong exactly, or if they'll be able to even fix everything that needs fixing for future releases.

http://www.tommhulett.com/?tag=silent-hill-hd-collection
To fix all the problems they'd probably have to start from scratch and port the games again, this time from the PS2 versions.

Persona7

Banned
Hopefully you find HD Collection to be a faithful remastering that cements all the things that made SH2 and SH3 great a decade ago.

Huh

That blog was Posted on March 18, 2012.

I assume he knew the game was broken when he posted that.

jett

D-Member
If you want to play these games in HD you should ignore this crap and get the PC ports. As far as I know they're faithful to the PS2 originals.

RagnarokX

Another example of how bad the poor fog effects are in SH2 is when James first arrives in the town proper.
He sees a silhouette walking into the fog, but in the HD version the fog is so thin that you can clearly see what it is.

Here's a comparison from the very beginning of the game:

AXKvz.jpg

Look how terribly clean the new road and sidewalk textures. The new image of Toluca Lake looks a lot less detailed with a straight horizontal shore, though the original was a photograph.

Here's a comparison of the fog effects from the original with the HD downport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsPwScV51cY#t=10m16s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWRLf5dlhJ4#t=9m30s

I think apart from the poor effects, the fog line is made even more visible by the freshly paved and painted roads. They're so dark it's like Pyramid Head resurfaced them for James' arrival.

I was really looking forward to this and was planning to pick it up next week when I get paid. I will not be doing so now.....

Konami lost another buyer....

Quikies83

I can confirm that the patch does nothing on SH2.. still the frame stutter AND the run stutter.... Un--fucking--believable.

Typical.

Quikies83

Another small thing I noticed... how extra quiet the whispers are when you enter room 209 in West Side Apts. Seemed different. Anyone?

Skullkid

Dang the intro movie in SH2 that plays when you wait past the title screen is missing most of the voiceovers; it has just the first few and last few lines. Weird edit.

Too bad, I always liked the intro movie with the complete voiceovers.

Teknoman

I can confirm that the patch does nothing on SH2.. still the frame stutter AND the run stutter.... Un--fucking--believable.

Typical.

Guess we'll hear something about it tomorrow then. Not sure how after all this you could release a patch that does nothing noticeable.

Dang the intro movie in SH2 that plays when you wait past the title screen is missing most of the voiceovers; it has just the first few and last few lines. Weird edit.

Too bad, I always liked the intro movie with the complete voiceovers.

If I remember correctly those missing voices only play after you've beat the game once. Same thing with the option to turn the noise effect on/off.

Skullkid

If I remember correctly those missing voices only play after you've beat the game once. Same thing with the option to turn the noise effect on/off.

Ah, thanks. Must be to avoid spoilers.

Tried the game after the patch, and I agree with everyone above that the performance seems the same. Framerate drops occur in the apartment when just walking up a flight of stairs and stutters occur every few steps when walking outside. I guess it's time to get back to Mass Effect 3, which has its own framerate problems (sigh).

KorrZ

Played the 360 version of Silent Hill 2 for a while today and enjoyed it, honestly I haven't noticed any glaring changes, but I guess that might be since it's been so long since I played Silent Hill 2 that I don't remember the finer details. Tons of fog, and it's very dark although not nearly as blindingly dark as some people have been saying in this thread, I can see perfectly fine on the default brightness. Solid smooth 60 FPS too.

I'm really enjoying playing Silent Hill 2 again and have no major gripes with the HD Collection so far, the biggest issue to me is the change of the "boo-loop" item pickup sound to be about 10x faster.

So yeah the patch does nothing. Finished "Born from a wish". All the problems with the main game carry over it seems. Voices out of synch even with the original VA.

SH3 seems to run just fine for me when there's no enemies around. Framerate rarely dips. But the game can't seem to make up it's mind whether or it want to slowdown with enemy encounters. Sometimes there be well two-three monsters with massive slowdown and other times it will run just fine. :/

Got to Hilltop Center Otherworld. When it transitions to the otherworld, even Harry Mason's VA was altered. The "It's being invaded by the Other world." thing he says. The new voice manages to sound way worse than the original. :lol

Mr_Zombie

Shit ports like this makes everyone wary of future ones. Fucking Konami.

anyways, official launch screens

Oh, a good old comparison between a blurry, aliased low-res "PS2 version" blown up to HD resolution and ultra crisp HD version. Good, it seems Konami takes lessons from Capcom. Oh, and let's forget that HD versions of those games were already released 9-10 years ago (even if SH2 PC was inferior to PS2, it's still superior to the HD Collection version) ;)

So, basically, its the PC ports?

Oh, you wish it would be PC ports. SH2 has few glitches and missing effects here and there (but not that much), but overall it's still much better than the HD Collection. And SH3 is a really good PS2 -> PC port, with all graphical effects intact and the ability to crank the resolution and AA way up. The game looks glorious even today.

I'm really disappointed and conflicted. On one hand I can finally play two of my most cherished games on current hardware, and they look really good. On the other, out-of-synch voices and sound effects, missing textures, music glitches, terrible walking/running glitch, lack of fog, no noise filter (it seems) make me notice those glaring flaws which takes away from my enjoyment. Plus, it feels like an insult to the original teams who made Silent Hill 2 and 3 look and sound amazing, and then this collection sullies that.

Why couldn't Konami have had Bluepoint handle this? Sure there were some missing effects in the MGS collection, but it was still a fantastic set regardless. Also, I would love to get the PC version of Silent Hill 3, but don't you need a pretty powerful machine to run that at max settings?

Oh and I hate the new voices for Silent Hill 3. Claudia sounds okay, but everyone else just sounds wrong. Harry's "otherworld" dialogue during the office building section sounded as though the guy came in, read the line, and left. The spoken lines don't always match up with the subtitles either. I heard Claudia say "unspoiled" rather than "despoiled" as well as Heather's line "I'll get you for this!" being changed to "I'll kill you, you bitch!" just before the rooftop fight.

Levito

Banned
I'm really disappointed and conflicted. On one hand I can finally play two of my most cherished games on current hardware, and they look really good. On the other, out-of-synch voices and sound effects, missing textures, music glitches, terrible walking/running glitch, lack of fog, no noise filter (it seems) make me notice those glaring flaws which takes away from my enjoyment. Plus, it feels like an insult to the original teams who made Silent Hill 2 and 3 look and sound amazing, and then this collection sullies that.

Why couldn't Konami have had Bluepoint handle this? Sure there were some missing effects in the MGS collection, but it was still a fantastic set regardless. Also, I would love to get the PC version of Silent Hill 3, but don't you need a pretty powerful machine to run that at max settings?

Don't bother with the HC Collection, it's a total mess.

As for the PC version of Silent Hill 3, how old is your computer? A game that came out in 2003/2004 should be a breeze to run.

IrishNinja

Oh, you wish it would be PC ports. SH2 has few glitches and missing effects here and there (but not that much), but overall it's still much better than the HD Collection. And SH3 is a really good PS2 -> PC port, with all graphical effects intact and the ability to crank the resolution and AA way up. The game looks glorious even today.

seriously, everything ive read/seen here screams "put them both on steam/GOG/etc" to have semi-definitive versions out there.

So for someone who has only played SH1 and loved it, wants to play SH 2 and 3 but hates playing games on computer do you think the HD collection is worth the 40 bucks? I already bought the ps3 version but haven't opened it yet.

Mr_Zombie

seriously, everything ive read/seen here screams "put them both on steam/GOG/etc" to have semi-definitive versions out there.

Tomm, if you read this, do this: convince Konami to release Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4 on Steam, GOG or even Origin. There's an audience for these games on PC.

Levito

Banned
So for someone who has only played SH1 and loved it, wants to play SH 2 and 3 but hates playing games on computer do you think the HD collection is worth the 40 bucks? I already bought the ps3 version but haven't opened it yet.

The technical problems completely kill the atmosphere, I would take it back.

Tomm, if you read this, do this: convince Konami to release Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4 on Steam, GOG or even Origin. There's an audience for these games on PC.

As much as I want that to happen, it wont. lol

The technical problems completely kill the atmosphere, I would take it back.

As much as I want that to happen, it wont. lol

That is a shame, been waiting a while to play these finally since I have had a survival horror itch and SH1 is my favorite of all the survival horror games I have played. Can never find the ps2 games at a decent price.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
GOG would be the best place since they would fix any of SH2's issues to work with Vista/7.

UrbanRats

It's not worth it even for free.
And before you call me out on the hyberbole, i seriously think a port THIS messy and disrespectful (that's what i consider the censorship to be) would do nothing but ruin the good memories i have of the game.
Seriously, it might not seem a big deal to many, but stuff like the fog comparison in SH2(above) completely destroy the sense of place and atmosphere the game had, there's no going around this (same with the broken sound).
THEN you factor in framerate and various glitches and no, it is not worthed to play the games in this state.
This is not Ninja Gaiden or FIFA, this is a game that has ALL its strength in the suspension of disbelief, if that is broken, nothing else is gonna make up for it.

I just installed both Silent Hill 2 and 3 on my laptop. This thing can barely run Half-Life 2 with low settings, yet can play both Silent Hill games perfectly at HD resolutions with everything maxed. How the fuck could they not get these running on current gen consoles? I honestly don't understand.

Holy shit, seriously? My old laptop crashed every five minutes with Half-Life 2, but the one I use now is slightly newer.

Playing SH2 (ps2) on a 42" lcd tv from a normal couch-tv distance looks marvelous. Enough difference and clarity compared to the 27" tuber I played it on years ago. So it's nice knowing I've had the ultimate SH collection for years and I've even time traveled and played them in the past too!

G-Fex

Yeah there's quite a bit wrong with the game, I suppose I'll keep it though and finish streaming it

I'm guessing I won't get anything if I traded it in anyways.

Yeah there's quite a bit wrong with the game, I suppose I'll keep it though and finish streaming it

I'm guessing I won't get anything if I traded it in anyways.
I'll be buying used and I suspect a lot of people will. So perhaps it might be a hotter ticket than you think.

Atolm

So I guess it's safe to say that after this, Book of Memories and the bad reviews for Downpour, Silent Hill is dead. Too bad, I wanted a HD port of Shattered Memories.

I just saw the "Happy Birthday" cutscene. That was absolutely horrible. Oh and I could see what was going on behind that "smokey glass". In the PS2 version, you literally cannot see anything behind the glass when you first see it.

As for the patch, Heather seems to be running regularly, but there are still synching issues and the game freezes for a second at times.

This is truly awful. How well does SH3 run on Vista 32?

Top Bottom