• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

I found my first Stormbird last night. Tough bastard. It took out my mount immediately and I felt a bit out of my depth, so after a few seconds of fighting I tried running, threw myself down a huge zipline, thought I'd got away and then it immediately took me out with a ranged attack. I think for now I'm going to concentrate on finishing the story and then at the end I'll clean up side-missions and collectibles. I'm just helping Erend
stop the guy who's going to bomb Meridian

MaKTaiL

I think it would be awesome for the sequel if we had a tool that would let us create our own ziplines. Maybe an upgrade for the Ropecaster.

newjeruse

I'm sure it's been asked before, but can I wander around the world after the main story is finished? Or do I have to finish everything I want to do before I enter the endgame?

CeePhour

Banned
I'm sure it's been asked before, but can I wander around the world after the main story is finished? Or do I have to finish everything I want to do before I enter the endgame?

Just finished it (whew, 55 hours, only 93.54%) myself a half hour ago. Yes, they thought of that and handled it. Don't worry about it.

Venture

I found my first Stormbird last night. Tough bastard. It took out my mount immediately and I felt a bit out of my depth, so after a few seconds of fighting I tried running, threw myself down a huge zipline, thought I'd got away and then it immediately took me out with a ranged attack. I think for now I'm going to concentrate on finishing the story and then at the end I'll clean up side-missions and collectibles. I'm just helping Erend
I metaphorically pooped my pants when I'd just entered Carja territory and saw that thing flying right over the road waiting for me. I hid in the weeds for awhile watching it kill some soldiers and then tried to sneak past.

bunkitz

I feel like such an idiot because I've been ignoring the resistance potions for most of the game. I'm up to 70% completion now, and I only just realized that they reduce 75% damage. Picking up all them Freeze Rime Roots now, goddammit.

Cheers, man! Haven't heard of this quest before, but I'm always up for more Banuk and this guy looks extra interesting.

Can I just sell machine parts like Watcher Eyes or do I need them for crafting? Inventory is getting majorly clogged.

That depends entirely on you. You can check out the weapons and outfits that need certain items and that's about it. I check to see if anything I might want needs any of the parts I have, and if not, I'll sell those parts. If I've already gotten the thing that needs <Machine> Heart (purple outfits, mostly) or <Machine> Lens (blue outfits, mostly) then I'll sell those.

Feel free to sell some of the components you need to make ammo if you've got way too much too. You'd be surprised how easily you'll find them. I can never seem to go below 200 Sparkers and Wires. Blaze, though... there was a time I had a shit ton of that, then I ran out one day. It was probably because I used the Blast Sling a little too much at times.

Sethista

I think it would be awesome for the sequel if we had a tool that would let us create our own ziplines. Maybe an upgrade for the Ropecaster.

Very cool idea, and it would make the shoot arrows from zipline skill useful. I think I did that once only, in 70+ hours

red head redemption, hahaha.

this game just ain't for me. it's beautiful and all and i'm happy it's a success. and i'm especially happy that aloy isn't sexualized.

maybe next time.

ManeKast

Finished it;

Action was great, graphics/sound and production next level. The gameplay though was simply following a big yellow pointer, took any and all discovery from the game even with everything optional switched off. Handholding was a joke "oh theres a lever next to me maybe I should push it" literally every single puzzle is spelt out this way.

Great action though. Superflous amount of pointless sidequests and overuse of the follow the red line mechanic. Lame. Still, fun game. Would be nice to see the next iteration evolve and actually let the player discover a single thing for themselves.

8/10. Recommemded pop corn gaming. Not the classic people make it out to be for the above reasons.

Bold One

Is it me or do Snappermaws roll like six deep - whenever I am fighting one; like four others just show up to help their boy.

Haha nice! But rope caster is needed with certain missions though.

Oh, of course, for the quests that absolutely require you to use some equipment, like the trials, I'm using them. Other than that, I'm sticking to ma bows.

It's been great fun, so far - battles that would be over in a few minutes before, now take 10, 20 minutes. Faced a Stormbird and three Glinthawks at the same time and THAT was tense.

What is the systematic difference between Hard and Very Hard? Is it that you take more damage, or that enemies have more health? Or both?

Finished on Hard shortly after release but this game continues to be in the back of my mind (and I'm not crazy about my 30-40 hrs in ME:A right now) and I genuinely want to come back and spend more time in this world.

Maybe even get my first Platinum.

So a week ago, I came across my first long leg. I've been playing on very hard and it was kicking my ass. After two deaths, I dropped it down to hard and I noticed it started using more variety in its attacks.

Now, I've bumped it back up to VH, but lately I've been thinking that the extra challenge during random encounters, while exhilarating, is slowing my progress and lowering my playtime as I need to be in a certain mood and zone to play. It also prevents me from wanting to play in front of the wife and kids as at first they were enjoying the visual and story combo, but the prolonged battles and deaths make it less fun for them and more of a competitive thing for me.

With that thought in mind, I've been thinking of that long leg encounter and wonder if that's just me. I mean, the AI being constantly aggro-ed and charging with hard hitting attacks makes sense as far as difficulty goes, but seeing more variety in the attacks and getting time to breath and plan a long distance strike seems more fun to me.

Just posting to talk myself into justifying lowering the difficulty lol.

MaKTaiL

What is the systematic difference between Hard and Very Hard? Is it that you take more damage, or that enemies have more health? Or both?

Finished on Hard shortly after release but this game continues to be in the back of my mind (and I'm not crazy about my 30-40 hrs in ME:A right now) and I genuinely want to come back and spend more time in this world.

Maybe even get my first Platinum.

So a week ago, I came across my first long leg. I've been playing on very hard and it was kicking my ass. After two deaths, I dropped it down to hard and I noticed it started using more variety in its attacks.

Now, I've bumped it back up to VH, but lately I've been thinking that the extra challenge during random encounters, while exhilarating, is slowing my progress and lowering my playtime as I need to be in a certain mood and zone to play. It also prevents me from wanting to play in front of the wife and kids as at first they were enjoying the visual and story combo, but the prolonged battles and deaths make it less fun for them and more of a competitive thing for me.

With that thought in mind, I've been thinking of that long leg encounter and wonder if that's just me. I mean, the AI being constantly aggro-ed and charging with hard hitting attacks makes sense as far as difficulty goes, but seeing more variety in the attacks and getting time to breath and plan a long distance strike seems more fun to me.

On Very Hard the Aim Assist is disabled completely and you do less damage to the enemies (and you take more too). Aim Assist can make your life a lot easier. That's why you feel Very Hard isn't for you. With it off its a LOT harder to hit the critical spots you are aiming for. It takes a little bit of practice and overall familiarity with aiming with analog stick.

I played the entire game in normal. I only bumped it up to hard after I finished the main story. No shame lol since there's no trophies attached to difficulty.

pixelbox

Oh, of course, for the quests that absolutely require you to use some equipment, like the trials, I'm using them. Other than that, I'm sticking to ma bows.

It's been great fun, so far - battles that would be over in a few minutes before, now take 10, 20 minutes. Faced a Stormbird and three Glinthawks at the same time and THAT was tense.
Did you take off the enemy indicators? :p

noomi

Can anyone comment on what a good weapon loadout should be? Since we can only have 4 weapons equipped at once I want to be sure I am ready for most encounters without having to juggle shit around.

Right now I have regular bow, sharpshooter bow, sling, and finally shock/frost bow.

Neoweee

I think Very Hard is exciting during the early game, but adds little-to-nothing the later you get in the game, or is even an active detriment (I played the entire game on VH for my first run, and beat it last night). It doesn't really change Human encounters much, but some machines can take far too long to kill. Sure, you take more damage, but you have absurd i-frames during rolls with no cool down so encounters are just infinitumbling while occasionally shooting arrows/grenades.

Also, getting less health per plant pickup was just an unnecessary design choice.

I played the whole game on hard and if we are talking about the same Longleg... she's a b*tch, killed me once, ropecaster the hell out of her the second time and went nuts with the spear. You'll get use to them later on, don't worry. ;)

I played the entire game in normal. I only bumped it up to hard after I finished the main story. No shame lol since there's no trophies attached to difficulty.
All true. It's just, at first, with low levels and under-equipped, battles with the fodder enemies were, as I said, exhilarating. But now, as the enemies get bigger and badder, and I level up, it's less exhilaration and more about endurance. Although, I'm still not using much in the way of newer, more powerful gear.

Still, attack variety rather charge, charge, charge seems more refreshing. About normal, I didn't like the curving arrows to auto-hit weakpoints. Not sure if I remember turning aim-assist off did much to counter that or even if you could on normal.
I think Very Hard is exciting during the early game, but adds little-to-nothing the later you get in the game, or is even an active detriment (I played the entire game on VH for my first run, and beat it last night). It doesn't really change Human encounters much, but some machines can take far too long to kill. Sure, you take more damage, but you have absurd i-frames during rolls with no cool down so encounters are just infinitumbling while occasionally shooting arrows/grenades.

Also, getting less health per plant pickup was just an unnecessary design choice.
This is what I'm afraid of. Having limited time to play, I can't be bothered. If only the enemies weren't so charge heavy.

RPGCrazied

Stuck in Cauldron Rho. How do you progress after getting to the big room with the pump thing? I already interfaced with it, but nothing happens.

On Very Hard the Aim Assist is disabled completely and you do less damage to the enemies (and you take more too). Aim Assist can make your life a lot easier. That's why you feel Very Hard isn't for you. With it off its a LOT harder to hit the critical spots you are aiming for. It takes a little bit of practice and overall familiarity with aiming with analog stick.

Interesting. Maybe the beginning and early middle would be more difficult, but I still maintain that once you get shadow weapons, a lot of the difficulty goes away as you open up some combos that are extremely effective e.g. ropecaster/freeze/sharpshoot arrows, or corruption arrows. And i never really touched the blast sling first time through, and understand that it deals quite a bit of damage.

I was also swimming in shards by the end, so reupping on 12 potions wasn't a problem every time i found a merchant.

Maybe all of those would be offset by the increased difficulty of very hard.

That depends entirely on you. You can check out the weapons and outfits that need certain items and that's about it. I check to see if anything I might want needs any of the parts I have, and if not, I'll sell those parts. If I've already gotten the thing that needs <Machine> Heart (purple outfits, mostly) or <Machine> Lens (blue outfits, mostly) then I'll sell those.

Feel free to sell some of the components you need to make ammo if you've got way too much too. You'd be surprised how easily you'll find them. I can never seem to go below 200 Sparkers and Wires. Blaze, though... there was a time I had a shit ton of that, then I ran out one day. It was probably because I used the Blast Sling a little too much at times.

Each item tells you it's uses in the inventory page.

Personally, I don't keep anymore than 2 stacks of anything.

Cheers!

barit

Man even after 20h+ I still can't believe how freaking good the game looks and plays. Sometimes I just stand there and gaze into the distance . The world is amazing with all its details. Truly GG's masterpiece so far.

MaKTaiL

Interesting. Maybe the beginning and early middle would be more difficult, but I still maintain that once you get shadow weapons, a lot of the difficulty goes away as you open up some combos that are extremely effective e.g. ropecaster/freeze/sharpshoot arrows, or corruption arrows. And i never really touched the blast sling first time through, and understand that it deals quite a bit of damage.

I was also swimming in shards by the end, so reupping on 12 potions wasn't a problem every time i found a merchant.

Maybe all of those would be offset by the increased difficulty of very hard.

I played the entire game on Very Hard. I can say that all it takes is using the right weapons at the right time and knowing the best spots to hit for maximum damage. I'm at a point right now that I am just too overpowered that lowering to Hard would make the game seem like a walk in the park. Very Hard forced me use a variety of different weapon combos that I wouldn't normally force myself to use if I were playing on a lower difficulty. I eventually learned how to easily cheese every single enemy on the game. It's like playing a Souls game for the first time. You will die a lot but eventually you will get the hang of it. That's the beauty of Horizon IMO. There is a difficulty level for everyone.

Neoweee

I played the entire game on Very Hard. I can say that all it takes is using the right weapons at the right time and knowing the best spots to hit for maximum damage. I'm at a point right now that I am just too overpowered that lowering to Hard would make the game seem like a walk in the park. Very Hard forced me use a variety of different weapon combos that I wouldn't normally force myself to use if I were playing on a lower difficulty. I eventually learned how to easily cheese every single enemy on the game. It's like playing a Souls game for the first time. You will die a lot but eventually you will get the hang of it. That's the beauty of Horizon IMO. There is a difficulty level for everyone.

Yeah, you'll die, but nothing is really insurmountable.

I don't agree with it being like playing a Souls for the first time. I feel like I can really just brute force encounters without really learning anything unique about them. Souls required learning boss patterns and openings, but Horizon VH kind of emphasizes infinite dodge spamming over learning the unique parts of each encounter.

ErMerGerd

Neo Member
I do wish there was a difficulty option after very hard. I ended up limiting myself to carrying no potions or medicine berries. Love the idea of a hunter/war bow only plus spear run. But I have so much fun with the blast sling...

Dargor

Man, can't wait to play this game, finally!

My copy should be arriving by the weekend. And I'll have a couple of days to play it.

So happy.

slade

65 hours in and I've cleaned up all the Metal Flowers, Banuk Figurines and Vantage Points last night. Once in a moon do I get a long night of nothing but gaming and I pretty much ignored the excellent main story to run around and collect these things. Ran into an area with two Thunderjaws side by side and then another area where probably the endgame takes place and I ran into a Stormbird. My trusty Shadow Bows saw me through each encounter. I can't believe that with most of the map cleared I still ran into areas I had never seen with machines in configurations I had not seen yet. Just about peed my pants when I saw those two Thunderjaws together.

Wanted to get back to the story today but then someone in this thread mentioned another sidequest that I've missed.

This is easily the best game I've played this generation thus far. I can't believe it actually managed to keep my attention long enough to collect all those collectibles. Something no other open world game has ever managed.

Djostikk

Is anyone playing after doing everything and getting platinum? What do you do? I would like to go back to it, but can't think of any reasons. Few times I went just to mess with enemies, but that's it...

Is anyone playing after doing everything and getting platinum? What do you do? I would like to go back to it, but can't think of any reasons. Few times I went just to mess with enemies, but that's it...

I did for a while, tried to go beyond borders and fight some beast but eventually I never could overcome the "emptyness" that hits once you finish the game. I would replay the whole game if I were you, turn up the difficulty and focus on different weapons.

alt27

Really interested to see what dlc would be . Hope it's a meaty expansion on a side story . Kinda thinking the ending can only progress with a sequel

platocplx

Funny enough my first Stormbird I just completed something on the Erend Storyline. I walked a Ravager Cannon all the way to a stormbird near by and destroyed it with it lmao.

The Heavy Weapons in this game are so satsifying to shoot lmao. Really shows how strong they are.

MaKTaiL

Yeah, you'll die, but nothing is really insurmountable.

I don't agree with it being like playing a Souls for the first time. I feel like I can really just brute force encounters without really learning anything unique about them. Souls required learning boss patterns and openings, but Horizon VH kind of emphasizes infinite dodge spamming over learning the unique parts of each encounter.

The only reason you would be infinite dodging is because you haven't learned the unique parts of the encounters yet. Once you learn the weak spots of every enemy and how to best approach them you will not need to spam dodge at all. My first encounter with a rockbreaker was a mess. It depleted all of my resources and it nearly got myself killed. Fast forward to now and I can kill 2 rockbreakers in 30 seconds. For me it definitely feels like Souls games, even if you are playing on a lower difficulty.

JakR

Finished it;

Action was great, graphics/sound and production next level. The gameplay though was simply following a big yellow pointer, took any and all discovery from the game even with everything optional switched off. Handholding was a joke "oh theres a lever next to me maybe I should push it" literally every single puzzle is spelt out this way.

Great action though. Superflous amount of pointless sidequests and overuse of the follow the red line mechanic. Lame. Still, fun game. Would be nice to see the next iteration evolve and actually let the player discover a single thing for themselves.

8/10. Recommemded pop corn gaming. Not the classic people make it out to be for the above reasons.

I deactivated the "every step pointer" in my first walkthrough and dynamic every hud element except the compass.

In my second current playrhrough I go complete no hud and the general marker still annoyed me and I went into menu quests and deactivated the active main mission. The way pointer never returned and you can still check the map, no yellow point but a general point for quests is there.

I wished I knew that in the beginning. It is even a better experience. For example the Revenge of the Nora quest with the 3 small camps getting into Devils Grief (hope it was grief) is way better with searching the area for the camps. :)

In the end I am always for fine tuning the experience, from a hud perspective or not using features like listening mode in TLOU, to my preferences.

It would be nice to have a mode like that optional, but I understand the reason for implementation. Without handholding the mainstream loses its way and put the game away or most of the people do not want to put 70-80 hours into the game like me. Do not forget the budgets this games need and it is clear a wide success is necessary for the developer to stay and new games developed.

Top Bottom