-3. The standard Mafia structure applies; however, there is a unique mechanic being added for this game - missions.
-2. In addition to your standard voting, each player may volunteer to go out on a mission. The first (up to) 4 players to do so will be selected. During each night, unless otherwise specified, players who go out on a mission may only target each other; same rules apply to those left behind. A special night-chat will be provided for all players that go out on a mission. This night-chat will only last for that one night - however those who had access will continue to have access after night has ended (read-only).
-1. In the event one of the players is assassinated (NOTE: Assassinated = Lynched = Evicted = Detained, etc.) during the day phase, they will be replaced by the next player in line for the mission.
0. You may volunteer for the mission by posting VOLUNTEER
on a separate line. If you’d like the un-volunteer, post UNVOLUNTEER
in the thread. However, should you choose to volunteer again, you’ll move to the back of the queue.
1. All site-wide rules are also applicable here. Please do not tarnish this community.
2. Unless your Role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, discussion about this game is strictly confined to this thread.
3. Unless your role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, do not quote or posts screen-shots of any PMs or posts that were not made in this thread. Obviously this is a grey area, but please try and play sportingly.
4. Within reason, you are allowed to lie about any game material or game-related conversations that could conceivably have appeared outside this thread [such as the content of role PMs or private chats allowed by a role]. If unsure whether a lie is reasonable, please PM the game-runner.
5. Do not refer or discuss to player activity in other forum threads or life in general beyond the game.
6. The player list includes the preferred personal pronoun of each player. Please try to use the correct pronoun.
7. Please be nice to your fellow players. Mafia can be a tense experience, and occasionally aggressive play is useful, but remember this is game and that everyone should have fun.
Activity and Deadlines
8. Treat this game as a commitment. Remember that other players' fun is dependent on your participation; this game only works if you remain reasonably active.
9. If you do not post in this thread at least once per Day Phase period without prior permission, you will be sent a PM requesting you respond immediately (a "prod"). If you do not respond to a prod by the end of the following Night Phase, you will be replaced.
10. If you need an extended period of absence for some other issues in life, please notify the game-runner by PM in advance. Leave of up to one Day and Night Phase (seven days) is possible.
11. If you expect to be unable to post for a period of 7 days, please notify the game-runner by PM so that you can be replaced in good time - we're sad to see you go, but other players need to be able to continue to play.
12. Each Day Phase will last 4 days
. Day Phases officially begin when the game-runner notifies players in the game thread, and end exactly 96 hours later (by NeoGAF post time-stamps).
13. Each Night phase will last 3 days
. Night Phases officially begin when the game-runner notifies players in the game thread, and end exactly 72 hours later (by NeoGAF post time-stamps).
14. If a Phase ends and the game-runner has not received an action PM from a player with a relevant action, then that Phase will end with that that player making no action.
15. If a replacement is needed, they may PM the game-runner once to request the Night Phase in which they join is extended by up to 2 days, to allow catch-up time.
16. Game-runners may change the length of Phases at their discretion. However, they will inform players at the start of the equivalent Phase before (i.e., if Day 7 is set to be shortened, players will be no later than the start of Day 6).
Voting, Assassination, and Death
17. For your vote to count, it must be presented in the following format: VOTE: Ourobolus
, via use of the highlight tag. It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text.
18. To remove a vote from a player, you must present in the following format: UNVOTE: Ourobolus
, via use of the highlight tag. It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text. It is not necessary to unvote before casting new vote for a different player; unvoting is simply to remove a vote without casting a new one.
19. Players may use VOTE: No Kill
to end the Day Phase without an assassination ("No Lynch"). It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text.
20. Misspelt votes will be accepted within reason; if the game-runner is unsure they will notify you and in the meanwhile discount the vote. Votes in broken tags will not count.
21. Once an option has received a strict majority (50%+) of the available votes, the day ends with the Assassination of that player or a No Kill (whichever applies). Once this has happened, any further votes or unvotes that Phase will not be counted, and the Night Phase will begin shortly.
21b. If a day ends with a tie, the vote automatically becomes "No Lynch."
22. In addition, once the time limit for the Day Phase has been reached, no more votes will be counted. So if the day is scheduled to end at 4:00PM, all votes placed by 4:00PM (based on GAF timestamp) will count. Votes placed at 4:01PM or later will not.
23. Some roles take place between the end of the Day Phase and the start of the Night Phase, so game-runners may allow a short period of time for this "Twilight Phase". Unless your role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, do not post during the Twilight Phase.
24. Once you are dead, you are dead: you may no longer discuss the game in ANY manner with ANY of the remaining players. Dead players may PM the game-runner one last message for the other players (a "Will"), which the game-runner will post on their behalf in the thread. The sole condition is that it contains NO game-relevant information, e.g. "Thanks guys for an excellent game!" is allowed, "My partner was John!" is not.
The Dead Thread
25. To allow dead players to freely discuss the game with other dead players, a secret thread will be created.
26. On death, a player can either opt to join the replacement list, or receive a link to the Dead Thread. They may not do both. If a player opted to join the replacement list, they may change their mind, but players who have a link to the Dead Thread cannot act as replacements.
27. The Dead Thread will also be made available to non-players, provided they have played in at least one GAF mafia game before in which they did not go inactive. These non-players will also be disbarred from the replacement list.
28. Outside of votes and explicit allowances made by role PMs, the use of the highlight tag is strictly the game-runner's prerogative. Do not use it.
29. Do not edit your posts. If you are a repeat offender, a replacement will be sought.
30. Do not use the email tags to hide extra content in your posts.
31. A list of the votes so far (a "Vote Count") can be requested by contacting any game-runner or game-tutor.
32. Game-runners reserve the right to add, remove, or modify existing any rules at any point, and enforcement may be applied retrospectively. However, all players will be informed of changes.
33. In general, do not try and exploit loop-holes in the rules.
34. Completed GAF games are often read by people thinking of signing up in the future. As such, please keep your avatar spoiler free - it should not allude to your role or alignment.
35. HAVE FUN!
EDIT: we've had discussions in previous games about posting an example role so that there are less shenanigans during the game. So here it is:
You are an Ordinary Drone.
You are aligned with ISIS (the agency, not the terrorist organization).
You have no abilities other than voting! Your vote is your power!
You win when all KGB players are eliminated.
Feel free to PM me any questions about your role. The public game thread is here.