• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Probably 43. I feel like that's enough of a step up, and I've got no real desire for anything more. I would want an increase from 32 to at least 40.

I'm in US, so not sure what the comparable models in UK are, but X800 Sony is pretty solid, and I think Samsung MU8000 is alright also, but both are probably a bit more than the LG. Sony in particular usually excels at motion tracking.

Mrbob

So now that this update is out for a day, I know we got plenty of people tweaking. Any Tehchnicolor expert mode optimizations?

Wonder if PC icon (PC mode) on C7 color space in HDR was addressed with this update or not?

I was browsing AVS forum and some were complaining it had not been addressed. Though I haven't tried it out myself yet and not sure at this point if it's a TV issue or a Windows issue since Windows HDR is still broken.

Mrbob

I get some weird bloom issue with HDR and Windows. I have to turn it off right now. Supposedly the big fall update coming in a couple day is supposed to fix this.

Hmm....

Wasn't aware that was an issue. I haven't had any with my C7, other than the fact that implementation is just bad (having to toggle it on and wash out the desktop any time you wanna use it)

urge26

Not sure why this is so difficult to make a decision on, but:

1) my gaming hub is essentially where my PC is, I've got a 3 monitor setup and a 32" Vizio above them that I'd like to replace.
2) So I'm set at 32" because that is what fits my space and what I want, but I'm mainly looking for what my best option is for my Xbox One X (and may use it for my PC, PS4, and Switch as well).
3) It was looking like the LG 32UD99-W was a perfect fit, size is right, has HDR, and reviews were good. Downside is that it's a grand and after doing more research it's not true HDR.

So I'm a bit stuck. Do I just wait this out? I do want 4k for my setup, but there's only about a 1-2 feet between the screen and where I sit. Do I go with what's got very low input lag and not worry about HDR since the viewing distance is close? Anyone have recommendations for something from 400-1000 dollars? Thanks!

Can't wait to see the image at home in the night. Not just because of the resolution but especially because of the colors. My Panasonic had huge issues with clouding (being edge LED and all) and I also never had a Plasma but only LCD so far. I was already stunned at the picture quality in the badly lit store.

And did I mention just how fucking slick the A1 looks? Man, that's a masterclass of optical design right there.

It looks so striking in the dark (as do the LGs of course). :)
Great in daylight too.

Yeah, I think it looks really slick, and the picture basically looks like it's floating if you've got a dark or glass stand, and once I set it up I don't even remember that it's slightly angled, IMO you don't notice it at all when you're watching or even standing in front of it.

Ashhong

I got a strange request.

Can anyone with an OLED try watching Mindhunter on Netflix? Like Episode 5 6 or 7? I was watching it last night and I didn't see a single moment of perfect black. Everything looked washed out and I can't tell if it's supposed to be like that or not. I also can't remember if the first 5 episodes were like that or not when I watched lol. Wondering if maybe Netflix changed something?

nomis

I got a strange request.

Can anyone with an OLED try watching Mindhunter on Netflix? Like Episode 5 6 or 7? I was watching it last night and I didn't see a single moment of perfect black. Everything looked washed out and I can't tell if it's supposed to be like that or not. I also can't remember if the first 5 episodes were like that or not when I watched lol. Wondering if maybe Netflix changed something?

the only good black i saw up to episode 7 was lowlights in mid-lit scenes. dark scenes all seemed to have a high black point and i think it’s intentional.

holygeesus

Banned
I got a strange request.

There is something wrong with this show. During some scenes, the borders at the top and bottom (framing the 2.35:1 image) turn grey rather than black, almost as if the gamma is changing.

Only time I've ever encountered this.

I got a strange request.

Black bars included? Because those are for sure perfect black.

Is this thread mainly for OLED discussion as I'm not getting many responses lol. Is there a 4K tv gmsiny thread discussion somewhere.

lol Hang in there, people will get back to you. I've found this thread, and the people in it, to be one of the best resources for help and advice. AVS gets a bit...messy.

OLED is just...so damn good...

Arkanius

I managed to find the LG 55 C7 for 1849€ in a retailer near my home.
At this price, it's a go right?

Use cases by priority order:
Netflix 4K
PC Gaming
BluRay
Cable TV

Wait, all this talk in the thread of people prefering the X900E over the LG C7. Can someone state their reasons? Or is it because they can get larger panels at the same price point?

Is there any advantage of the Sony X900 over the LG C7? Thought OLED would be the sure decision for a Movie and Gaming TV

Wait, all this talk in the thread of people prefering the X900E over the LG C7. Can someone state their reasons? Or is it because they can get larger panels at the same price point?

Is there any advantage of the Sony X900 over the LG C7? Thought OLED would be the sure decision for a Movie and Gaming TV

Can eleborate my reasons to go for the XE93 and not an oled. Price difference was 200 € in favour of the XE93.

Need the brightness for day use. Big windows and can't install curtains.

Don't trust LG with updates.

Wanted the upscaling and smooth gradiation.

Don't want to think about what can harm the panel.

But sure there are plus points for the oled also.

Better Blacks. Better OS. DV support right now. Viewing angles. Marginal better input lag. Thinner.

Edit; Not sure on that one: YT App has HDR implementation on the Oled.

Is this thread mainly for OLED discussion as I’m not getting many responses lol. Is there a 4K tv gmsiny thread discussion somewhere.

No it's not, but the preferred technology for a lot of people here.

Had a look on your two tvs, if I checked the correct models, rtings recommendation would be the xe80.. Maybe you have a look on the xe90..if it's in price range. Just search the rtings website a little bit, you can compare and also set parameters to help you choose.

Can eleborate my reasons to go for the XE93 and not an oled. Price difference was 200 € in favour of the XE93.

Need the brightness for day use. Big windows and can't install curtains.

Don't trust LG with updates.

Wanted the upscaling and smooth gradiation.

Don't want to think about what can harm the panel.

But sure there are plus points for the oled also.

Better Blacks. Better OS. DV support right now. Viewing angles. Marginal better input lag. Thinner.

Edit; Not sure on that one: YT App has HDR implementation on the Oled.

No it's not, but the preferred technology for a lot of people here.

Had a look on your two tvs, if I checked the correct models, rtings recommendation would be the xe80.. Maybe you have a look on the xe90..if it's in price range. Just search the rtings website a little bit, you can compare and also set parameters to help you choose.

Thanks. Yeah I spent a couple of hours researching those and TVs in that price range. I was leaning to the xe80 over the LG for picture quality. The LG does have superior input lag though.

Sony looking at around 30-33

LG 13-17

Arkanius

Today I went to see the LG C7 55inches instore...
It was right beside a Samsung 65 TV.

The bigger size is temtping as heck. I'm really split now between the 55" OLED and a good 65" TV at the same price point.

The sofa will set aproximately at 3 meters from TV

The bigger size is temtping as heck. I'm really split now between the 55" OLED and a good 65" TV at the same price point.

I'd go for size. I went from 55" plasma to 65" OLED, and let me say, that 77" looks awful nice....

Usually the biggest regret people have when buying TVs is not buying big enough.

Yukstin

Size for sure. I think OLED is a superior experience but you'll regret not getting the bigger sized picture.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Size, always size when your talking 10 or more inches. 55" is a small TV in todays world.

Kyoufu

Depends on what the Samsung TV is. You wouldn't choose a shit 65" TV over a 55" OLED.

Samsung's TVs have been underwhelming this year so eh...

Arkanius

Depends on what the Samsung TV is. You wouldn't choose a shit 65" TV over a 55" OLED.

Samsung's TVs have been underwhelming this year so eh...

Nah, used Samsung for example since it was right beside it (and looked like shit)
It would be between a Sony, according to the Rtings, the Sony X900E 65inch and the 55 LG C7. It seems that since the brightness is very high in the Sony, it's way better for HDR in a well lit room.

My living room has lots of natural light since we live in the 10th floor at the top of a hill, and my window is huge.

It seems the OLED viewing conditions would be optimal only during the night no?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Nah, used Samsung for example since it was right beside it (and looked like shit)
It would be between a Sony, according to the Rtings, the Sony X900E 65inch and the 55 LG C7. It seems that since the brightness is very high in the Sony, it's way better for HDR in a well lit room.

My living room has lots of natural light since we live in the 10th floor at the top of a hill, and my window is huge.

Modern OLED's are bright enough for living rooms, not as bright as LCD's but more than adequate.

The x900e is a very good edge lit tv. I'd take it over a 55" oled because of size. I'd take a 65" oled over it if it was an option, but I see its not. I'm in the marketing for 77" screens right now and its even a harder choice, spend 10k on a 77" OLED or 6k on a Sony z9d.

I will warn you though,Sony's Android TV is the worst operating system ever made. Horribly buggy, crashes, slow as hell, ugly as hell.

Arkanius

Modern OLED's are bright enough for living rooms, not as bright as LCD's but more than adequate.

The x900e is a very good edge lit tv. I'd take it over a 55" oled because of size. I'd take a 65" oled over it if it was an option, but I see its not. I'm in the marketing for 77" screens right now and its even a harder choice, spend 10k on a 77" OLED or 6k on a Sony z9d.

I will warn you though,Sony's Android TV is the worst operating system ever made. Horribly buggy, crashes, slow as hell, ugly as hell.

It's because of the price. IMy budget is 2K and I can get the LG OLED for 55 C7.
But yeah, I wish the price of the 65 OLED was better... Outside my realm right now.

For the OS. I don't use it and won't use it much. I have an Nvidia Shield TV that does everything media related for me + game streaming.

Still think the size comments above apply, but agree on brightness. My 65C7 has never seemed "dull" even during weekends when i watch during the day. In addiiton, after years and years, imho I think they've finally arrived at a decent anti glare coating that doesn't look like ass and distort the picture.

Mrbob

Yeah I wouldn't worry about oled being too dull, but a bigger size is tough to pass up. I went from 55 to 65 and my eyes adjusted quickly.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about oled being too dull, but a bigger size is tough to pass up. I went from 55 to 65 and my eyes adjusted quickly.

Right. I think use case is important too. The larger the set, the more you'll appreciate 4K (setting aside HDR, which I think is more important). I do tons of PC gaming and plan on picking up whatever the 10 series Volta card is in spring, so when you're pushing native or near native 4K, you're going to appreciate the size that much more.

I still think HDR is the bigger impact, but resolution of your source devices is a consideration too.

Arkanius

Right. I think use case is important too. The larger the set, the more you'll appreciate 4K (setting aside HDR, which I think is more important). I do tons of PC gaming and plan on picking up whatever the 10 series Volta card is in spring, so when you're pushing native or near native 4K, you're going to appreciate the size that much more.

I still think HDR is the bigger impact, but resolution of your source devices is a consideration too.

My source for PC gaming is a 1080 Ti right now. Power to push.

My source for PC gaming is a 1080 Ti right now. Power to push.

Nice! I keep eyeing Ti's but trying to convince myself to wait for Volta =) I'm on vanilla 1080 now.

Anyway, You'll definitely appreciate native or near native 4K more on the larger screen size.

Last thing I'd add is that it's easy to see differences side by side in a store, but when it's actually in your house, it's very much an "out of sight, out of mind" sort of deal.

Arkanius

Nice! I keep eyeing Ti's but trying to convince myself to wait for Volta =) I'm on vanilla 1080 now.

Anyway, You'll definitely appreciate native or near native 4K more on the larger screen size.

Last thing I'd add is that it's easy to see differences side by side in a store, but when it's actually in your house, it's very much an "out of sight, out of mind" sort of deal.

I had the luck of a lifetime the beginning of this year. I had a 980 Ti that blew up and I got through a discount but keeping the value of the card. When I sent it for repair, MSI decided to give me the back the value of card at the date I bought it.
The 1080 ti had just been released by then, so I put the extra 150€ for it and got the 1080 Ti instead of a new 980 Ti.

Same. I never understood the brightness complaints.

I run everything on OLED brightness 35 for SDR and it's perfectly fine.

Isn't it because the spec for HDR requires a 1000 nit max brightness?
I'm a guy who usually uses lower brightness to save my eyes though

I have to do more tests at store, but yeah, my eyes and heart adjust after you buy it. There are pro's and con's on both it seems

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's because of the price. IMy budget is 2K and I can get the LG OLED for 55 C7.
But yeah, I wish the price of the 65 OLED was better... Outside my realm right now.

For the OS. I don't use it and won't use it much. I have an Nvidia Shield TV that does everything media related for me + game streaming.

You dont have to use it for it to cause problems lol. Like there is a Bluetooth bug that makes a message pop up every 30 minutes saying "a service has stopped working" and it wont disappear till you click on it. Only current fix is to disable Bluetooth on the tv.

Also the youtube, netflix and hbo apps will all crash in the background, bringing up the same message, even if you never once open it.

Arkanius

You dont have to use it for it to cause problems lol. Like there is a Bluetooth bug that makes a message pop up every 30 minutes saying "a service has stopped working" and it wont disappear till you click on it. Only current fix is to disable Bluetooth on the tv.

Also the youtube, netflix and hbo apps will all crash in the background, bringing up the same message, even if you never once open it.

Jesus christ that is insane. I laughed way too much at that
That is why I'm against TVs having "intelligence" or more software. No please just don't, just be good at displaying the images I want you to display.

How does Massdrop work and is it legit?

I see that there was a good offer on the 55" B7A, but it expired. Yet the page has a 'Request' button.

What does it take to make a request be taken into consideration?

e90Mark

How does Massdrop work and is it legit?

I see that there was a good offer on the 55" B7A, but it expired. Yet the page has a 'Request' button.

What does it take to make a request be taken into consideration?

Massdrop is legit. It works like as a big group buy to get a lower price.

Request allows them to gauge the interest, but it's ultimately up to whether they can make another deal with the manufacturer.

Reallink

So now that this update is out for a day, I know we got plenty of people tweaking. Any Tehchnicolor expert mode optimizations?

I was browsing AVS forum and some were complaining it had not been addressed. Though I haven't tried it out myself yet and not sure at this point if it's a TV issue or a Windows issue since Windows HDR is still broken.

It happens with consoles too, color is massively undersaturated in PC mode HDR.

Kyoufu

OLED brightness is fine for those viewing conditions.

I'm not sure I'd get the X900E over the C7 tbh. If you said X930, X940 or the ZD9 then sure. I like comparing premium TVs with other premium TVs. X900E isn't a premium TV so I personally wouldn't get it over OLED. It's a solid TV though.

I'd also wait for CES 2018 at this point.

Pagusas

Elden Member
OLED brightness is fine for those viewing conditions.

I'm not sure I'd get the X900E over the C7 tbh. If you said X930, X940 or the ZD9 then sure. I like comparing premium TVs with other premium TVs. X900E isn't a premium TV so I personally wouldn't get it over OLED. It's a solid TV though.

I'd also wait for CES 2018 at this point.

100% agree. And even then, after owning a x940c now for a year, and loving it, I'm still jumping to OLED next. FALD is great, love the set, but still moving on. The ZD9 is too expensive for what it is.

Top Bottom