• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors Review Thread

Yeah scores are about what I expected, lower than Hyrule Warriors on average, nothing above an 8 and at least one place going "It's a Warriors game so it's garbage."

Seriously. Both Hyrule Warriors and now FE Warriors feel like missed opportunities to expand Musou game play.

I would have loved the more party adventure type feel of Heroes here, and Hyrule Warriors should have done more to expand on exploration and using the world and gear to impact that world. There is some good here but just not enough to keep me engaged sadly.

Well Dynasty Warriors 9 is going the open world route so maybe that will be more to your liking whenever that comes out.

It's obvious from the article that he never even gave the game a chance because he hates the series. I have no issue with people being critical but it's super obvious he made up his mind before even playing it.

And yes, the writing is juvenile. For example:

He straight up says it's not a real video game. Seriously?

It's also kind of sloppy. He uses "simplistic," "mindless" and "repetitive" a number of times as if we didn't get it the first time.

And also, I say this as someone who is not super interested in FEW and most likely won't be buying it. It's just a bad review.

Yep, that's my problem with it. I have no issue with the guy reviewing the game poorly. He can give it a 1 for all I care. The tone of the review just seems kind of unprofessional and hyperbolic.

casiopao

Yeah scores are about what I expected, lower than Hyrule Warriors on average, nothing above an 8 and at least one place going "It's a Warriors game so it's garbage."

Well Dynasty Warriors 9 is going the open world route so maybe that will be more to your liking whenever that comes out.

Lol. DW 9 is going to be DW6 all over again lol.

Kyzer

Banned
Watched the gamexplain review and this looks like the best musou ill have ever played. Being able to toggle between 4 chars and being able to command units should add a nice little layer to the gameplay

Lol. DW 9 is going to be DW6 all over again lol.

Well 9 isn't cutting characters and making a good chunk of the cast clones (Hopefully, this game is a bad sign on that front) so I'm expecting it to at least be better than the tripe that was Dynasty Warriors 6.

PK Gaming

Watched the gamexplain review and this looks like the best musou ill have ever played. Being able to toggle between 4 chars and being able to command units should add a nice little layer to the gameplay

Probably my favorite review of the bunch. It's pretty honest about its pros and cons.

Worth noting this is not the first Warriors game that lets you do that. It's one of the main gameplay features in the Warriors Orochi series for example, albeit with 3 units instead of 4.

decided to Pre-Order it

Perched to play my first warriors title

tumblr_ojqr5j5TOJ1u6n38po1_250.gif

Worth noting this is not the first Warriors game that lets you do that. It's one of the main gameplay features in the Warriors Orochi series for example, albeit with 3 units instead of 4.
However the key note here in Fire Emblem Warriors is you can split where those 4 units are at like Hyrule Warriors Legends. In Warriors Orochi 3 you can switch between three units but at the same spot where you are.

Renna Hazel

I don't see much point in letting someone that hates the genre review the game, but the Metro reviewer seems pretty salty about the genre and Nintendo in general. I'm greatly looking forward to a great co-op experience here.

Richie

Seriously. Both Hyrule Warriors and now FE Warriors feel like missed opportunities to expand Musou game play.

I would have loved the more party adventure type feel of Heroes here, and Hyrule Warriors should have done more to expand on exploration and using the world and gear to impact that world. There is some good here but just not enough to keep me engaged sadly.

Hyrule Warriors was my introduction to the genre and drove me crazy in the best of ways. Hearing the formula has already been successfully expanded elsewhere is encouraging for future entries, how did Heroes manage so? You mention exploration, which is the meat of BOTW, and a hypotethical Hyrule Warriors sequel would no doubt take that game as a foundation, so maybe this increased scope you mention could be tackled there...

However the key note here in Fire Emblem Warriors is you can split where those 4 units are at like Hyrule Warriors Legends. In Warriors Orochi 3 you can switch between three units but at the same spot where you are.

So it's more like how Samurai Warriors 4 and 4:Empires does it then. I imagine it's implemented differently here than in those games but point still stands it's still not the first to do this.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm a big Musou fan but I find it hard to get too upset by reviewers who don't like it. When Metro says something like this...

...are they really wrong? I like the grindy and repetitive combat but I can easily see why others would find it boring. I mean, it's telling that nearly every review of a Musou game these days includes some variation of "if you're not a Warriors fan this one won't change your mind".

Arguably they are kind of missing the forest for the trees. Most musou games are about the macro-battle mgmt. Keeping tabs on the overall agenda and creating a multi-step path to victory rather than focus on the fodder in your direct sight.

Should a MOBA be judged poorly for having tepid combat against the flood of creeps?

Map and objective flow, hero progression/variety, and combat against major opposition are usually more defining traits to judge, but too often focus by naive reviewers is placed squarely on the gratification of combos against fodder that are meant to plague your objectives risk. Thus the bulk of the experience is judged improperly and while the negative points they address will be impactful for some, it is closer to being ‘wrong’ than ‘right’.

Apparently the AI and auto switching between characters is so vastly improved, this has me excited, while Hyrule Warriors was my jam, the AI definitely was lacking, as I assume most musou games do. as a FE fan, and all the crossover mechanics, like support levels, etc. I'm super excited.

As for the metro reviewer: He also gave Evil Within 2 a 4/10, lol wow.

Tried really hard to not get hyped for this because of an extreme lack of Ike, but Fire Emblem is my second favorite franchise after Zelda...

He's in as an support NPC, and data mining has found he has full character supports and lines, so, he's likely going to be free DLC after release, assuming they're taking the Hyrule Warriors route

is this the case with the other support characters as well?

Tried really hard to not get hyped for this because of an extreme lack of Ike, but Fire Emblem is my second favorite franchise after Zelda...

Ike is basically being held hostage for a sequel that may or may not happen so if you want this game just to play as Ike, you're better saving your time and money for something else.

Well no she isn't, because she actually has a personality and motivations that extend beyond than "my kingdom is in danger" and "I care about my friends!"

Meanwhile, Lyn's a relatively basic character in her own game and irrelevant past the tutorial.

Also "a female?" Really?
Lucina hardly has any relevance in the game past chapter 6. She does one thing of use by warning Basillio late game and that's it.

Maxinas

Just about what was expected. Will be hard to sink hundreds of hours into this game with Mario just around the corner, but i'll manage.

OmegaFax

Speaking strictly about 3DS games, Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 also allowed you to switch between four playable characters and had some of the command/strategy elements that were carried over into Hyrule Warriors Legends to a lesser extent and now Fire Emblem Warriors.

PK Gaming

Lucina hardly has any relevance in the game past chapter 6. She does one thing of use by warning Basillio late game and that's it.

Going by your logic, Chrom isn't relevant for the vast majority of Awakening because he pretty much does nothing else of note until the very end. Here's the thing; Lucina's story literally makes up half of the game's narrative. The entire future/past nonsense is brought in via her inclusion in the story, and the DLC scenario centers around her being the lead. She is unambigiously FE: Awakening's tritagonist, and is fairly involved with her game's story.

And even then it's not like she's a particularly deep or amazing character. She's just competent. And yet I always see the sentiment that she's a bad character because she's a female version of a male character (untrue), especially compared to Lyn, who somehow sets the standard for how female FE characters ought to be (also untrue).

Going by your logic, Chrom isn't relevant for the vast majority of Awakening because he pretty much does nothing else of note until the very end. Here's the thing; Lucina's story literally makes up half of the game's narrative. The entire future/past nonsense is brought in via her inclusion in the story, and the DLC scenario centers around her being the lead. She is unambigiously FE: Awakening's tritagonist, and is fairly involved with her game's story.

And even then it's not like she's a particularly deep or amazing character. She's just competent. And yet I always see the sentiment that she's a bad character because she's a female version of a male character (untrue), especially compared to Lyn, who somehow sets the standard for how female FE characters ought to be (also untrue).
Micaiah is probably the deepest female Fire Emblem lord in the entire series. Don't particularly like her character myself, but would be nice for the next game to have a female lord leading. Without them being a "Avatar/Sibling/ twin to another lord". Yada yada. (Or an "Ike" taking lead).

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
i'm not a fan of traditional musou (tried one after hyrule warriors) but I'm hoping this game is pretty good.

This is technically copied from the samurai warriors series. It's just that in here you get two additional characters to switch.

Zafir

Samurai Warriors is probably a better comparison. Quite a few of those games you can swap between multiple characters, regardless of location.

Going by my logic? Uh no. Chrom is the one leading the Shepards. He's the one who has to negotiate with Ferox. He's the one who has the personal vendetta with Gangrel. He's the one choosing to go to Valm to get rid of a despot. His Falchion is the one that gets awakened. He has the deeper connection to Robin to protect them since that's his friend and strategist. It's his death that causes future turmoil. He always has something to do in every story scene. Half the narrative, really, are you joking? She doesnt even join until Chapter 14 and. Lucina is part of Chrom's and Robin's story, not any other way. The game can't even be bothered to give her a proper epilogue for pete's sake. And how does optional paid DLC of alternate Lucina have any relevance here when it's not part of the main story? I don't even like Chrom but the pedestal people put Lucina on is really ridiculous when she hardly does anything in the majority of the game. No one even brought up Lyn except you, Lucina is just a mediocre character all on her own.

Shengar

I very strongly disagree. There should be as much variety as possible for game reviewers.

So someone who don't like horror movie should watch review it?

I honestly don't get this sentiment or beliefs. For me it is unthinkable for someone who dislike or don't know how a genre work able to measure its quality. How do they know what a game try to achieve and how it succeed or fail in the process if they don't have any perquisite knowledge and familiarity with the gameplay beforehand? It doesn't make sense. It is this very belief that makes most of games reviews shallow, list-checky, and read like gadget product review instead of creative product. You can barely know how the game work, is it good in how the gameplay feels because they write it in the most boring, and uninformative manners possible. No wonders that in many reviews so many reviewers make Dark Souls reference because they hardly play anything else. How do you suppose to make comparison when your head is empty?

This view, this belief that someone who barely new or unknown to the genre would be able to provide an objective measurement and perspective for newcomer is misleading. It's false to link one familiarity to their ability to write reviews that readable for newcomers and explanative for veteran alike. Being knowledgeable shouldn't prevent someone from writing good reviews that don't alienate unfamiliar readers. If anything, it should helped it, more so if their knowledge and approach to the genre is vast and welcoming to new experience (i.e. not particularly attached to certain game like MH fans for example).

If I want to adopt a dog, I would trust the opinion of someone who had one or perhaps more for decades than those who only got a dog just some months ago.

PK Gaming

Going by my logic? Uh no. Chrom is the one leading the Shepards. He's the one who has to negotiate with Ferox. He's the one who has the personal vendetta with Gangrel. He's the one choosing to go to Valm to get rid of a despot. His Falchion is the one that gets awakened. He has the deeper connection to Robin to protect them since that's his friend and strategist. It's his death that causes future turmoil. He always has something to do in every story scene. Half the narrative, really, are you joking? She doesnt even join until Chapter 14 and. Lucina is part of Chrom's and Robin's story, not any other way. The game can't even be bothered to give her a proper epilogue for pete's sake. And how does optional paid DLC of alternate Lucina have any relevance here when it's not part of the main story? I don't even like Chrom but the pedestal people put Lucina on is really ridiculous when she hardly does anything in the majority of the game. No one even brought up Lyn except you, Lucina is just a mediocre character all on her own.

Okay, bad argument on my part. Chrom's pretty integral to the story for sure, but I think you're expecting too much out of a tritagonist. She doesn't do big things in the story after joining, but she doesn't really need to. She's basically like Future Trunks from Dragon Ball in execution. What makes her stand out is how developed her backstory is. Doomed timelines are pretty cliché, but FE: Awakening's implementation is pretty neat, especially how it ties back into the overall narrative (even If said narrative is whatever). So you have that, her design and how she works as a unit and it all culminates into a decent character. Not a bad Marth, not a worse Lyn, but her own thing. Also don't give me that crock about joining in chapter 14 because she's far relevant before that.

I brought up Lyn because you responded to a post about her...? I wanted to segue into another point entirely, it wasn't directed at you.

I can't believe the GameXplain review knocked the music. Ive already listened to the OST and damn its really good if not better than the Hyrule Warriors one.

jnWake

I can't believe the GameXplain review knocked the music. Ive already listened to the OST and damn its really good if not better than the Hyrule Warriors one.

It also has quite a few remixes. I think he just didn't recognize the source tracks since they aren't as melodic as Zelda tunes so they're harder to remember.

Top Bottom