• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Bad Is Your Souls Withdrawal?

It’s been a year and half since Dark Souls 3 dropped.
We haven’t had new content since March.
No sequels in sight.
No new remasters to mitigate the misery.
How are you handling it?

For me, it’s been rough.

The combat in BotW felt so floaty, I thought like I was playing Rocket League. (And you call that a parry? Gwyn eats Flurry Rushes for breakfast.)

Nioh was cool. Until it had 3 types of enemies and multiple scenes in a bath house. Miyazaki don’t fuck wit no bath house.

Then there’s Shadow of Wardor. I don’t even know where to begin when It comes to the Combat after playing 5 Souls games at launch, creating well over 20 characters, and enjoying countless hours of peerless PVP. I. Just. Can’t. And it hurts my hands.

So I’m gonna go back to Dragon’s Dogma and try that for a stretch. Let It Die held off the shakes and sweats for a while, but there’s only so many times I can run the same bland hallways looking for a Veneer Plank.

I once had a girlfriend say to me that the difference between us (and another reason she was better than me) was that I played games just to play something, often buying AAA titles indiscriminately without any real hope of greatness, whereas she only played great games.

I think Souls and Miyazaki have ruined mediocre gaming for me.

Now give us that Dark Souls 4K Remaster (with UHD textures—Xbox One X exclusive :p) ...

WH1

I'm doing fine. The Ringed City made me realize I'm ready for something brand new from the studio. Dark Souls can take a long, long break.

TripleBee

I want them to change something drastic for the next one. Not even sure what I want, but some shift in the mechanics to make it feel new again.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I'm fine with a break. DS2 was bad and then the third one was alright but felt too familiar. Better to let it sit for a while.

Another one off like bloodborne might be better.

Fdkn

The season pass is 40% off but I think I wouldn't play it yet so it would be a waste to buy it now.. and I loved every souls dlc.

I guess I needed a rest like the series.

A new sequel or spiritual succesor would bring back all the hype tho

CheckMate

I honestly forgot everything about Dark Souls 3 after completing it a year ago, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Need to replay that ....some day.

Nioh was good enough that I don't really have any withdrawal. Also I've been eyeing The Surge as another possible game to pick up if I really feel the need to play a game like that. But there's just been so many other good games this year that I haven't felt like I've even been missing Souls games.

Laiza

Dark Souls 3 soured my impressions of the series as a franchise, after what I considered one of the best games ever (Dark Souls 2 SotFS). I'm good, thank you.

In fact, I've been playing loads of Dragon's Dogma lately and, frankly, that scratches an itch that I needed scratching far better than the Souls series ever could. Very different games in the same genre, though.

I need to get back on DDON...

It allowed me to finally finish Demons Souls and replay through most of the others. I suppose I'll go replay Bloodborne before long. And after revisiting all of them recently, I've found myself finding I like Dark Souls 3 the most.

Astral Dog

kinda Bad, im itching for a fast paced actin game like DOOM DMC or BAYO, Getting tired of Survival Horror and slow RPG games this gen

Roubjon

I never finished Dark Souls 2 or 3, so I'm doing pretty good. I'll probably go back to them and finish them someday, but I don't think I ever really want to step foot into a swamp that makes me move slowly ever again to be honest.

Correct me if im wrong but hasnt there been 5 Souls like games from From in the past 8 years?

I consider that pretty good if your a fan of that genre.

Davey Cakes

I'm still working on Dark Souls 2: SotFS. The DLC makes an already-long game MUCH longer.

Seriously, I've spent more time in DS2 on New Game than I did on DS1 including most of a New Game + and I don't know when I'll be finished. I'll need a nice long break after, so no withdrawal for me. I'll finally have time to sink into Zelda: Breath of the Wild or some of my other "big" titles.

And, after that I'll have DS3 to look forward to once I upgrade my PC.

Lakitu

st5fu
In this current climate, I'm really really anticipating Miyazaki's next masterpiece. Any news on that?

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are masterpieces.

Nioh was cool. Until it had 3 types of enemies and multiple scenes in a bath house. Miyazaki don’t fuck wit no bath house...

wasn't all that crazy about nioh, myself, but this's seriously dismissive. game got quite a number of things right. you're just being deliberately cranky :) ...

Manu

I just go back to play the Souls games whenever I'm in the mood. No biggie. I have a large selection to choose from.

Same. The games are endlessly replayable so no big deal.

I haven't gone back to Nioh after beating it, for example.

Gbraga

I'm still not tired of the games we already have, and I'm sure I won't be until From's next few games. It's fine.

jviggy43

For me it's bloodborne. While I enjoyed souls 3, I certainly don't really remember it fondly and it really was the first entry where I felt fatigue with the series. Bloodborne on the other hand, has so much left to offer in terms of new stories and mechanics within the Victorian gothic universe. Plus i mich prefer the fast and aggressive combat conpared to the other souls games.

KorrZ

I liked Nioh more than Bloodborne / Dark Souls 3. Mainly due to Souls series burnout and Nioh being just different enough. So for me, no withdrawal really at all.

I like souls but, this is kinda ridiculous considering Souls has not left the limelight since it's start in 2009.

The last Armored Core game I enjoyed was AC: for Answer in 2008 as I was not a fan of how V or Verdict Day felt and Verdict day was in 2013.

And yet people tell me to stop asking for Armored Core.

I do not have withdrawal at all. You have 5 great games with extra DLC stuff to go back to. People liked DS3 but, even people that love the franchise a ton were starting to feel like maybe there was too much of a good thing.

Struct09

The break from a yearly Souls game has been fine for me. I look forward to what FROM makes next but there are too many other good games to play right now.

I burnt out on the gameplay durning the first one. I found it extremely overrated and boring with very little to keep me going other than "it's hard". I thought that the entire series was already over saturated when they kept making one every year or two. Demon Souls Dark Souls 1,DS2, blood born and 3 + DLC... And then everyone else jumped on the bandwagon. Every game now has to be "souls like". If you are upset about it because you don't have a new game every year, try call of duty, or Assasssins creed, or any sports game. They release those suckers every year.

Try a bit of patience and broaden out of your comfort zone with games. A dev who takes time and doesn't shove a game out every year usually has much better games than one that cranks out.l a release every year. Quality over Quantity.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Nioh and Ys 8 on the hardest setting with no healing items used gave me my challenging game fix already so I'm all good oh also hollow knight

I'm good on souls for a while give me another Amored Core that is like For Answer

Top Bottom