• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Waveset

Picked up a couple of games in the sale.

Surgeon Simulator - great fun and Moves make it much easier than with m/kb or game pad. I avoided this due to the issues with it at launch but it plays pretty well now and would recommended it. Had trouble getting the scissors to cut off masks, worked once seemingly by random but had to give up on the ambulance - teeth level, can anyone tell me the correct cutting technique? Had an issue a couple of times where the game lost tracking of one of the Move controllers and wouldn't pick it back up again, had to restart the game

Mervils - this has some charm but the voice acting and recording demotes it from indie to homemade. You can hear the acoustics of the room they recorded in so it feels very jarring. Still fun though, and happy buying it at the current price.

ffvorax

Picked up a couple of games in the sale.

Surgeon Simulator - great fun and Moves make it much easier than with m/kb or game pad. I avoided this due to the issues with it at launch but it plays pretty well now and would recommended it. Had trouble getting the scissors to cut off masks, worked once seemingly by random but had to give up on the ambulance - teeth level, can anyone tell me the correct cutting technique? Had an issue a couple of times where the game lost tracking of one of the Move controllers and wouldn't pick it back up again, had to restart the game

Nice that SS has been fixed! I loved to play it on my laptop but it was frustrating with the mouse controls... still fun but damn!

When I heard of the PSVR version I wanted it, now it's the time to buy! :D

bumpkin

It's such a great game, yes it's a little hazy and I wish it could have been worked on or improved more on the Pro, but I love it. Here's a close race between myself and DHC showing both our viewpoints.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=URGReOmHJLw&start1=13&video2=kF5oxG8r65I&start2=5&authorName=3Way

Came 3rd but look at the times

UIwMYmL.png
Holy crap!

Also, now I know who the "AbandonedTrolley" I kept seeing ghosts of on the tracks was. I think I beat a few of your scores. :)

MattAces

Thanks. Not sure which one I should get then? I guess Move is compatible with many more games so that is the better one?

I would say more than half of the game, or majority of the game uses Move/enhanced with Move. Move is pretty much mandatory.
As for Aim, it has around 10 games announced/released at this point. If you want the best experience, you will eventually need this. But I would prioritize Move.

MattAces

Nice one! Bought, should be here by Saturday!

Thanks a lot, was getting a bit frustrated trying to get hold of one. Bought Brookhaven a long time ago, so will have that as well as Farpoint. Did they fix the excessive darkness in Brookhaven?

Yes! It's actually quite fun now with the glowing sight being implemented and brighter flashlight.

Certinty

I would say more than half of the game, or majority of the game uses Move/enhanced with Move. Move is pretty much mandatory.
As for Aim, it has around 10 games announced/released at this point. If you want the best experience, you will eventually need this. But I would prioritize Move.
Thanks. I'll go with the Move for now then.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Nice that SS has been fixed! I loved to play it on my laptop but it was frustrating with the mouse controls... still fun but damn!

When I heard of the PSVR version I wanted it, now it's the time to buy! :D

Isn't the entire point of surgeon simulator that the controls are imprecise?

It's like saying "I love the new QWOP patch that adds directional game pad support! So much easier to control!"

ffvorax

Isn't the entire point of surgeon simulator that the controls are imprecise?

It's like saying "I love the new QWOP patch that adds directional game pad support! So much easier to control!"

It is? I had fun even with imprecise controls, but I found them to be too much... maybe I should have bought a better mouse? lol

I love the idea to have better controls with the move, well I hope so, you are scaring me...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It is? I had fun even with imprecise controls, but I found them to be too much... maybe I should have bought a better mouse? lol

I love the idea to have better controls with the move, well I hope so, you are scaring me...

Maybe my wording was bad-

Surgeon Simulator was designed around the idea that the controls are not precise and difficult to use. It's the main point of the game, similar to Octodad and QWOP. The fact that they made them precise on PSVR using the moves is pretty weird.

ChouGoku

played a little bit of Archangel last night and holy shit that game is nuts. Being a giant mech is awesome., hopefully there are more punching parts. Graphics are very nice (on a Pro), spectacle is there, and has fun gameplay.

MattAces

played a little bit of Archangel last night and holy shit that game is nuts. Being a giant mech is awesome., hopefully there are more punching parts. Graphics are very nice (on a Pro), spectacle is there, and has fun gameplay.

$40...

:(

My next VR games confirmed in 2017 are most likely: Infinite Minigolf, Theseus (I have a feeling this will cost $50 or $40 too), Tiny Trax, Doom VFR and Skyrim VR.

And why wouldn't it have been announced at E3 like Doom and Skyrim were? It isn't coming. F4 struggles to hit 30 frames as it is on the base PS4. Doubling that and the VR performance hit...

This is a situation where the whole no Pro exclusives is going to bite Sony in the ass. VR should have been a Pro only deal, and I say that as someone who uses VR on a base.
It wouldn't be announced if its not coming out in the next 6 months or so, as per Bethesda's track-record. Skyrim Remaste on PS4 / Pro also drops below 30fps, but that has a VR version coming out.

I don't doubt that FO4VR will come to PS4 eventually I'm just not sure it will be this year. Can you imagine the amount of optimisation they'll have to do to get it running at an acceptable framerate on the base PS4. Also they're putting out Skyrim VR around that time as well they won't want either eating into the others sales.
Might be at PSX when they have the approaches to VR locomotion (which they have been figuring out for Skyrim) and have something closer to a launch date / window that doesn't take away from Skyrim VR sales.

you guys do stupid stuff like this in vr? i do, constantly.. cannot help it.

https://youtu.be/CKglAiZ_ZxQ
https://youtu.be/Z29pdMGDO5I
Haha, totally... https://youtu.be/D8eew9ZnXp4?t=481 (Batman)

ryseing

It wouldn't be announced if its not coming out in the next 6 months or so, as per Bethesda's track-record. Skyrim Remaste on PS4 / Pro also drops below 30fps, but that has a VR version coming out.

Skyrim is a last gen game at heart and by all indications it took a sizable graphics hit.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can I put a usb hub on one of the ports on the pro? I currently have the controller charge cable, gold headset dongle and external drive using the two front and single rear ports.

Is there a way to force-reset the view of PSVR for certain games?

From 12 full games I only experiences this so far with Until Dawn and Tumble: While playing for a short while the game would turn almost 90° so that I basically have to sit sideways to the camera to fit what the perspective of the game (which obviously messes up Move tracking).

Holding the Start button resets something but not the actual view (neither does the ingame calibration). When I go the PS4 menu and reset the view it fits correctly, i.e. I'm facing the camera. Switch back into game, still shifted view.

Also, Job Simulator wanted me to stand slightly different to what I prefer (too close to a wall here) but it would stick to that no matter what, is the game defaulting to the center of the camera?
Both SS and Superhot allow me to reset my position to whatever I want when I hold down the Start button.

Theseus embargo lift on July 25th.
Review and coverage.

Isn't that the day before release?
Be interesting to see the price point. I'm betting it's £30, but could be higher than that.

Just been playing some more Polybius, that's a pretty intense game. Might chill out with some Statik in a bit. Think I'm about two thirds of the way through. Still haven't finished RE7, or even booted it up since switching to Pro, so might fire that up, too.

Kids are doing rehearsals tonight and shows on Friday and Saturday. Wife is doing backstage stuff so I'm left to my own devices (literally).

Let the games begin!

MattAces

Isn't that the day before release?
Be interesting to see the price point. I'm betting it's £30, but could be higher than that.

Just been playing some more Polybius, that's a pretty intense game. Might chill out with some Statik in a bit. Think I'm about two thirds of the way through. Still haven't finished RE7, or even booted it up since switching to Pro, so might fire that up, too.

Kids are doing rehearsals tonight and shows on Friday and Saturday. Wife is doing backstage stuff so I'm left to my own devices (literally).

Let the games begin!

Yea, at least it's confirmed we will be getting press coverage and reviews.

Signed up for the firmware v5 beta.

Wonder if there will be any improvements or fixes for PSVR. Maybe they will resolve the video/audio dropouts. Maybe we get a proper 3d UI...

Last big update had a PSVR box update too. Guess we'll find out in August.

Signed up for the firmware v5 beta.

Wonder if there will be any improvements or fixes for PSVR. Maybe they will resolve the video/audio dropouts. Maybe we get a proper 3d UI...

Last big update had a PSVR box update too. Guess we'll find out in August.

Would love an option to read chat while streaming PSVR games. Like a button to bring up the chatbox or something.

From 12 full games I only experiences this so far with Until Dawn and Tumble: While playing for a short while the game would turn almost 90° so that I basically have to sit sideways to the camera to fit what the perspective of the game (which obviously messes up Move tracking).

Holding the Start button resets something but not the actual view (neither does the ingame calibration). When I go the PS4 menu and reset the view it fits correctly, i.e. I'm facing the camera. Switch back into game, still shifted view.

Also, Job Simulator wanted me to stand slightly different to what I prefer (too close to a wall here) but it would stick to that no matter what, is the game defaulting to the center of the camera?
Both SS and Superhot allow me to reset my position to whatever I want when I hold down the Start button.

Sounds like drift. That is due to starting the system whilst moving the headset. Press the on button of the headset before picking it whilst it is on a flat surface will result in that never happening. If the problem still persists I have no idea.

mattmanp

How have Race the Sun impressions been around here?

It's $2 right now.

Your POV is trailing behind ship but lower than non-VR camera. I thought it worked well enough and felt no sickness. I owned game previously from PS+ and was pleasantly surprised to get a free update. If you are interested in a zen endless runner type with unlockables than $2 is worth it.

Dipped into the sale today, picked up Statik, Psychonauts and Polybius.

Will be picking up a few more games over the next few weeks before the sale ends. So many good VR games out now, it's great to see VR growing even more.

Joystick

While playing for a short while the game would turn almost 90° so that I basically have to sit sideways to the camera to fit what the perspective of the game (which obviously messes up Move tracking).

I've had that happen two or three times. First time was mid-game in Dirt Rally where it was working perfectly fine with no drift for half a race and then all of a sudden the view started rotating horizontally. It stopped for a short while then continued, to the point where it was almost 180 degrees so that facing the camera I was looking out the back of the car. The normal reset did not fix it.

Horizontal rotation drift is generally tricky - there is no gravity to get a constant bearing. Inaccuracy of the gyroscopes means that the rotation can drift but this can be fixed with either a compass or an external fixed tracking device that can detect the orientation - such as the PS4 camera and headset which has multiple light sources around the headset.

So I'm surprised that we have this issue and have to reset the view at all (fair enough if it is once when turning on PS VR to centre the default play position). The camera can provide absolute positioning so it should be able to eliminate all drift as it is capable of determining the overall position and orientation of the headset.

I've had similar issues with the Move controllers, where horizontal drift is not fixed when using the view reset. The camera can't fix that but the easy fix is for the horizontal rotation to be reset when resetting the view - ie. assume the player is pointing them forward. Alternatively lay them on a flat surface so that rotation can be reset when picked up.

Wollan

Had it for the better part of a year but I played through The London Heist for the first time today. Blowing 'smoke' in real life (detected by microphone) is a cool gimmick.
Such a weird decision to have a violent game full of F bombs as part of the closest party-game-collection released hehe. Well made.

PSVR occlusion problem is a reality though. Experience it in Farpoint and most pointer games occasionally. Resident Evil 7 and other 'HMD-only' games don't have that challenge.

Wollan

So cool to see my wife's nephew, a huge Batman fan, try Arkham VR and VR in general for the first time right now. "This is the greatest game ever..."

If you've ever wanted to experience being in a mech Archangel is for you. On rails but production quality is high and using Move controllers to mimic mech arm movements are great.

So cool to see my wife's nephew, a huge Batman fan, try Arkham VR and VR in general for the first time right now. "This is the greatest game ever..."

heh, i am not even a big Batman fan but i still had that same feeling.

i mean, i know it's not the greatest game ever... but while playing, man, it was just something else.

Grinchy

Banned
Farpoint has an option now where you can hit a "Reset Tracking" button in the settings while looking in the direction of where the camera actually is (instead of where it thinks it currently is). That fixes the left/right drift for like 5 whole minutes.

Top Bottom