• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

FelipeMGM

Valid points.

I'm pretty sure thatgamecompany was part of the 3 game contract, so they fulfilled their end of the bargain with Flow, Flower, and Journey. I don't think anyone could look back at that situation and say it wasn't a successful contract for both parties. Sony got some great exclusive titles and thatgamecompany got financial support, developmental assistance, exposure, and a steady gig that helped them become one of the most sought after indie developers. They're in a position to gain their independence because of that deal, and are poised for success with 'thatnextgame.'

Whether it is more second party deals like that, or pure first party support, I still think there is a market there, even considering the amount of indie games, developers, and publishers. Having a diverse portfolio is never a bad thing, so I think Sony should still have its own indie division. They need to be looking for talent to acquire or partner with to fill the void left by thatgamecompany.

Sony is pretty stubborn on the IP issue. I can't fault anyone who says no because they want to retain their IP.

Still I think there are a lot of great indie games and developers who get lost in the mix or don't have the resources to fully realize their visions. Prime examples: I recently played Mekazoo on PS4. It's a brilliant concept, but it runs terribly and is very rough mechanically. Had it been given proper resources for success, it could have been just as amazing as its Donkey Kong and Sonic influences. Also, I've been interested in Source since 2014, but it doesn't seem to have the manpower or moneypower to make much progress towards a release. It looks like something that would find an easy home on PlayStation and mesh well with the likes of Journey and Abzu.

Backing from someone big like Sony could help. As a longtime follower of Cuphead, I was elated when Microsoft partnered with Studio MDHR. Sure it's taking forever to release, but we are getting a game with a much larger scope and scale than was originally planned. It's basically the game they wanted to make but wouldn't have been able to without the help.

I can't complain with the amount of indie games we do see. New publishers are appearing all the time. I just think Sony, and the other console manufacturers should have their own smaller projects just as they have their own AAA products.

(And you are correct, FelipeMGM, with your Thumper avatar assumption. It's probably my favorite indie since the Velocity - coincidentally two games with ties to Sony's indie presence which is why I care so much. They tend to cater to my interests.)

I understand your point too, the PS3 generation was amazing because of those efforts. Today they put up on the PS Store a bunch of bundles from Santa Monica Studios games, and its indeed sad that they had this amazing output back them but right now the only project they have is God Of War and I hope the reason they have axed their exdev team is so they can actually develop more game in-house, including smaller inovative projects.

But while Sony has toned down significantly in deals like this, they are still behind indies bigtime with the Pub Fund program and marketing deals. We got Everything today and Cosmic Star Heroine comes in a few weeks too, and both got funds from the program and are getting promotion in the store with the Play Collective sale festival. Thumper and Velocity are examples of how well the program can work too.

And I actually hope that Sony starts to approach indie devs to work and reimagine some of their forgotten IP, kinda like they did with Shadow Of The Beast. Only if that had been a hit...

I cant wait to see what Sucker Punch can do now that they are part of the first party studios, i know they were alrdy first party when Second Son was being developed but that was pretty much a launch game.

SS is also impressive even today. I mean, they released this just four months after the PS4 launched

infamous-second-sonzsum9.png

2455510-ibjkeegbjegity0u4z.jpg

Remember 2010 when Sony announced LittleBigPlanet 2, SOCOM 4, Motorstorm: Apocalypse, Infamous 2 and Killzone 3 all in like the 3-4 months prior to E3?

That was weird.

I don't see Sony dropping significant AAA announcements out of the blue anymore. Makes for more interesting press conferences.

i think this was more to do with pimping the PS3 and it's future software. That time was still a little uncomfortable for sony and the PS3.

i would take random announcements but as you said it makes for more interesting press conferences now

So where you at xenorevlis? What's supposed to be happening today?
I'm right here. Never claimed to be an insider, but I'm a huge inFamous fan so I have my fingers crossed for the remastered collection as well (yes, this is what I heard through a friend who works up in Seattle).

Has anyone messaged anyone from Sucker Punch? I miss Festival of Blood :(

Dat Dreams hype though!

SS is also impressive even today.
You know whats crazy? The puddles that grow and dissipate from precipitation in Second Son are also (to a degree) in Horizon!

I'm right here. Never claimed to be an insider, but I'm a huge inFamous fan so I have my fingers crossed for the remastered collection as well (yes, this is what I heard through a friend who works up in Seattle).

Has anyone messaged anyone from Sucker Punch? I miss Festival of Blood :(

Dat Dreams hype though!
Oh my.

Infamous 2 was damn good. More people need to play it.

Oh my.

Infamous 2 was damn good. More people need to play it.
Agreed! The first was a bit rough but some very minor tweaks and 60fps at all times would be fantastic. 2 was phenomenal and Festival of Blood brought all of the greatness from both into a tight-nit package.\

I knew they had something special after playing the demo and it inspired me to make this trailer using footage I recorded off my TV (no joke): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJ8q6ZlD-Q

Valid points.

I'm pretty sure thatgamecompany was part of the 3 game contract, so they fulfilled their end of the bargain with Flow, Flower, and Journey. I don't think anyone could look back at that situation and say it wasn't a successful contract for both parties. Sony got some great exclusive titles and thatgamecompany got financial support, developmental assistance, exposure, and a steady gig that helped them become one of the most sought after indie developers. They're in a position to gain their independence because of that deal, and are poised for success with 'thatnextgame.'

Whether it is more second party deals like that, or pure first party support, I still think there is a market there, even considering the amount of indie games, developers, and publishers. Having a diverse portfolio is never a bad thing, so I think Sony should still have its own indie division. They need to be looking for talent to acquire or partner with to fill the void left by thatgamecompany.

Sony is pretty stubborn on the IP issue. I can't fault anyone who says no because they want to retain their IP.

Still I think there are a lot of great indie games and developers who get lost in the mix or don't have the resources to fully realize their visions. Prime examples: I recently played Mekazoo on PS4. It's a brilliant concept, but it runs terribly and is very rough mechanically. Had it been given proper resources for success, it could have been just as amazing as its Donkey Kong and Sonic influences. Also, I've been interested in Source since 2014, but it doesn't seem to have the manpower or moneypower to make much progress towards a release. It looks like something that would find an easy home on PlayStation and mesh well with the likes of Journey and Abzu.

Backing from someone big like Sony could help. As a longtime follower of Cuphead, I was elated when Microsoft partnered with Studio MDHR. Sure it's taking forever to release, but we are getting a game with a much larger scope and scale than was originally planned. It's basically the game they wanted to make but wouldn't have been able to without the help.

I can't complain with the amount of indie games we do see. New publishers are appearing all the time. I just think Sony, and the other console manufacturers should have their own smaller projects just as they have their own AAA products.

(And you are correct, FelipeMGM, with your Thumper avatar assumption. It's probably my favorite indie since the Velocity - coincidentally two games with ties to Sony's indie presence which is why I care so much. They tend to cater to my interests.)

Yup.. I feel you. But I can't say I was happy about the Cuphead deal. I don't have an Xbone (waiting for the right time) and I really want to play that game bad!

I can agree on the fact that when indies do partner with pubs, their games get extra polish, making for a greater experience. But I think the mess it makes between them isn't worth it.

i dunno, i wish a dev can comment on what he thinks about this subject. But yea when all I had was a PS3, those games were great little getaways from the bigger fluffed stuff.

Wozman23

Yup.. I feel you. But I can't say I was happy about the Cuphead deal. I don't have an Xbone (waiting for the right time) and I really want to play that game bad!

It'll be on PC as well. As a primarily Sony guy who never owned a Microsoft console, I wasn't thrilled with the deal either (or the Sunset Overdrive deal which is ultimately what made me buy a One).

I know FuturLab has been pretty happy partnering with Sony. The studio lead, James, often praises them and former director of strategic content for SCEE, Shahid Ahmad, for his focus on indies. That studio was basically 3 people when they created Velocity as a free PSmini in 2012, and they've grown so much since then.

Ya'll think Sony gets the Bioshock reveal this E3?
MS I think. I expect them to aggressively go after third parties this year and Sony already has all the huge ones (most likely)

If the games still a ways off, like fall 2018, I could see them getting it. Just I expect MS to get as many as they can for the next year

AndyVirus

Yeah, if Bioshock happens I expect the XBox conference. Same with a Cyberpunk re-reveal and maybe Shadow of the Tomb Raider too.

Sony I'd favour a Batman appearance (as well as the likely CoD & Destiny).

Icolin

Banned
Wasn't it revealed that the Tomb Raider team is now busy with something else? Was it the Marvel thing?

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is being done by Eidos Montreal (and "supervised" by Crystal Dynamics), and are also assisting with Crystal Dynamics' Avengers game, and making their own Guardians of the Galaxy game (according to Eurogamer).

I never doubted Mm, but that's awesome to read. I really hope it's a big hit for them. I like this new trend of Sony's of allowing a developer to leave an established series and make something new after 2 or 3 instalments. It didn't work out with SSM and Destigny (aka 'Darkside') but if Dreams is a hit this'll be 3/4 success.

Updated my predictions:
qkFaMNB.png

Not bad. I don't think TLoU2 will be ready to show hopefully until E3 next year, but take that out, put in Days Gone and you've got a stew goin'! I'd also rather not hear anything about Death Stranding for another year or so when Kojima will presumably be able to show something resembling a finished product.

Only one new first party announcement?

Meh; this year they definitely need to focus on stuff that has already been announced: Wild, Matterfall, God of War, Spider-Man, Days Gone, maybe TLoU2 & Death Stranding as well. I'd like them to move away from this cycle of announcing games 2-3 years in advance, and even if they do focus on announced games they could still have a killer E3 if they copy last year's format with a bunch of gameplay demos.

SS is also impressive even today. I mean, they released this just four months after the PS4 launched

infamous-second-sonzsum9.png

2455510-ibjkeegbjegity0u4z.jpg

Yep; still an astonishing looking game. Plus, unbelievably, it ran above 30fps at times. Crazy how much SP has improved in the visual department since Infamous 1.

Ya'll think Sony gets the Bioshock reveal this E3?

There's a new BioShock? Wait... What?

This was also my reaction. I'm not even sure there's one in development.

One no one has mentioned. REZ 2. No way it isn't happening and no way it isn't being announced at e3.

What makes you so sure?

Hey triggerhappytel I literally just quoted you in another thread, but check your PM :)

You too Felipe and turkoop

I've just read the message. Thank you for the invite, but I don't talk online (have never used voice comms in games either), and I don't really get the chance anyway as by the time I've put my kids to bed and sit down to do some gaming it tends to be pretty late at night.

I've just read the message. Thank you for the invite, but I don't talk online (have never used voice comms in games either), and I don't really get the chance anyway as by the time I've put my kids to bed and sit down to do some gaming it tends to be pretty late at night.
We only use the text chat if that changes anything, but it's cool either way :)

Kyonashi

What makes you so sure?

With how well Infinite was recieved, and the perception of Area X as a backdoor into a sequel, there's a decent chance. Not least because Sony will certainly be feeling the pressure to keep PSVR afloat with new VR titles.

I wouldn't say it's a lock but it's possible. Though that might be my own hope shining through.

Top Bottom