• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh: Unlocked framerate in menus causing extreme heat in Action mode [Update: no]

Strider

Yea I mentioned this in the OT as well but the first time I ever noticed noise coming from my pro was in the blacksmith menus on Nioh. With earbuds in I honestly didnt know what it was at first lol

I get in and out of that menu asap

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I've never particularly understood what it is about 2D menu overlays that sends PS4's into "HARRIER JUMPJET LIFTOFF" mode, but its been a thing about the console since launch.

Tain

I'm having trouble understanding why it's on software developers to ensure that a GPU won't overheat from being understressed. I understand that it's "simple enough" to implement an FPS cap, but what's the difference between a GPU running at full blast rendering as many frames as possible and a GPU running at full blast rendering, say, a 20fps chop-fest?

Am I wrong to think that neither of these scenarios should pose a threat to hardware? If so, why?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm having trouble understanding why it's on software developers to ensure that a GPU won't overheat from being understressed. I understand that it's "simple enough" to implement an FPS cap, but what's the difference between a GPU running at full blast rendering as many frames as possible and a GPU running at full blast rendering, say, a 20fps chop-fest?

Am I wrong to think that neither of these scenarios should pose a threat to hardware? If so, why?

V
Think of it as the difference between running a full circuit and tiring yourself out that way, versus spinning very, very, very quickly on the spot and then collapsing from dizziness.

Tain

That... doesn't really help me understand the issue, unfortunately. :/

If I go and build an uncapped basic OpenGL scene and leave it running on my gaming PC, should I expect my GPU to have physical problems and not consider it nVidia's fault? Wondering if there are any good articles on this.

Cuburt

So not unlocked frame causing the issue and instead possibly faulty hardware and/or other software issues since others have reported similar things with this game and the Pro.....

Nice to get some answers. :/

My copy is coming tomorrow and reading the posts in here is a little concerning. Is it a simple problem to avoid? Has there been any acknowledgement of this by the devs?

epmode

My copy is coming tomorrow and reading the posts in here is a little concerning. Is it a simple problem to avoid? Has there been any acknowledgement of this by the devs?
Yes, it's easy to avoid. You only see the blacksmith between missions. Just make sure you don't leave the console running while you're there.

LordOfChaos

Doom does this too, so does Uncharted. Why is this still a thing.

Seems like something cert should be checking for and asking devs to change.

Top Bottom