• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku(Jan23): Have official Orbis docs; Devkit: PS4- 8GBRAM,2.2GBVRAM, Controller

ZeroEdge

I may have drank too much of the Jeff Rigby Koolaid, but that is the ONLY thing that makes sense to me...

love me some Rigby Kool-aid it's the tastiest! Honestly though I love the rumors and speculations but until I see the final hardware I will keep my expectations in check.

jwhit28

If all of the new consoles are using AMD architecture and console to pc ports are naturally more multi-threaded and rely on the GPU more, does AMD have a chance of competing with the i5's and i7's of the world again?

Wow, if it really has a special SPU "compute unit" with 256mb of ps3 RAM in there for BC...that's game changer.

If,and that a big fucking If! If the "compute unit" is some sort of spu "cell" like processor with its own pool of ram. Even more important then the backwards compatibility implementation are the benefits it could have for PS4 games!

test_account

XP-39C²
The "new account" system already works on PS3, doesnt it? I'm pretty sure that it is possible to have dual PSN login on Resistance 2 coop. I'm not sure if the 2nd player can earn trophies however, but i think dual PSN login should work at least.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I called a touch-pad rather than an actual screen quite a while ago. Will be interesting if it has a back one as well though.

tipoo

Banned
So 8GB unified memory with 2GB reserved for the GPU, or 2GB of separate vRAM? If the main memory is GDDR5 as rumored I can't imagine them going with a non-unified pool, so I'd assume the former.

GavinGT

Banned
Wow, if it really has a special SPU "compute unit" with 256mb of ps3 RAM in there for BC...that's game changer.

Is this just a combination of two rumors? I would think Kotaku's source would mention something important like that, rather than droning on about multiple simultaneous user profiles (something that anyone could have guessed, since 360 has had it all along).

Still, it would make the math almost believable. 2048 MB + 256 MB = 2304 MB = 2.25 GB, but any elementary schooler would know that rounds up to 2.3 GB.

I still think this is just Kotaku being their usual selves. Except this time they didn't even label it as a rumor. How did they confirm their source is the same guy that was behind the Durango devkit story? Was that devkit ever even confirmed to be real? Who is in possession of this PDF? Why the funky RAM spec? Why the hyper-focus on one boring aspect of the OS? Where is this touchpad located on the controller(surely developers would know this)?

Is this just a combination of two rumors? I would think Kotaku's source would mention something important like that, rather than droning on about multiple simultaneous user profiles (something that anyone could have guessed, since 360 has had it all along).

Still, it would make the math almost believable. 2048 MB + 256 MB = 2304 MB = 2.25 GB, but any elementary schooler would know that rounds up to 2.3 GB.

I still think this is just Kotaku being their usual selves. Except this time they didn't even label it as a rumor. How did they confirm their source is the same guy that was behind the Durango devkit story? Was that devkit ever even confirmed to be real? Who is in possession of this PDF? Why the funky RAM spec? Why the hyper-focus on one boring aspect of the OS? Where is this touchpad located on the controller(surely developers would know this)?

if they had 90 pages of PDF documents on the ps4 they'd be scrambling to release it as it would be inevitable that those documents would have been released to someone else. theyre full of shit.

paskowitz

I do not understand why people are so against a rear touch pad. Sure for gameplay it is likely to be poorly implemented but it could be good for menu navigation. Especially OS navigation. In certain games it could be fun. LBP type games come to mind. Even in a shooter it could be used from something like melee, opening a door, or some for of object interaction. It is likely to be used for shitty QTE events but as long as they infrequent I think it will be ok. Also a full touch screen on the front would increase the controller cost a lot. The rear touch on the Vita is a pretty cheap piece of hardware. Who knows maybe Sony will try to use some Vita components in the new controller to help drive the cost of the Vita down.

Worth revisiting?

Hey folks. Just got approved and this is my first post!

I hate to be that "guy" that brings more "insider information" to the table(especially since it's my first post and nobody knows if I'm trustworthy), but I will be for right now. I have a friend who is very, very close with Sony. I won't say what he does or who he is, but I can relay what he has told me.

I haven't kept up on this page completely so hopefully I'm bringing some new information. I showed him the rumored leaks from yesterday and he said the only thing they really got right was the RAM. According to him(I don't know tech talk very well so you might understand this better than I) the APU has 4 steamroller cores in it, bandwidth to the GDDR5 is high. Cell runs the show(OS, security, IO, etc.) and also acts as a satellite/accelerator processor for the steamroller cores. APU has access to the XDR in a similar way that RSX does. There is an SCC(Super Companion Chip) inside as well.

The ram is only 3.5gb and is in 3 pools. 2GB GDDR5 for the APU(which is not an A10), 1GB DDR3 for the SCC, and 512mb XDR(for Cell). He said the APU has 256GB/s to the GDDR5, devkits though. There is no cell in the devkit yet, maybe 1st party ones, cell integration needs final silicon.

It will be backwards compatible with PS3 AND PS2. As far as the new controller rumor, he doesn't know much as far as design goes but did say that there is no screen on the controller, however, you can use another device to have that. I assume he's hinting at the vita?

Anyways, that's the info I received. No need to believe it and I'm not saying it is 100% accurate, just going by what I've been told.

Or not ;-)

Satchel

Banned
Isn't the rule of thumb that dev kits have double the ram of final hardware for debugging and shit?

Which falls in line with 4GB final.

Saberus

As posted, VG Leaks will post their Orbis info tomorrow, so we should have a better prospective of the hardware.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
IF you have information, why not just leak it? Since you clearly discuss this stuff all day long anyway, and aren't scared of any NDA.

Good question. Absolutely no point in stringing people along.

IF you have information, why not just leak it? Since you clearly discuss this stuff all day long anyway, and aren't scared of any NDA.

Dont believe he would have signed any NDA at all if he is not a direct source himself. Websites obviously dont worry and cant be forced to reveal sources as far as i know, if that is a concern to anyone.

Aad

For what it's worth, I was just talking to a supposedly Foxconn employee:
Foxconn employee 01:11:04
i want sleep

Me 01:11:17
it is morning...
Foxconn employee 01:12:38
i an working night
Me 01:12:45
oh what is your job
Foxconn employee 01:13:10
foxcoon
富士康
Me 01:13:36
is it good job?
Foxconn employee 01:13:49
no
Me 01:13:56
why?
Foxconn employee 01:14:36
i donot like
Me 01:14:57
reason?
Foxconn employee 01:15:26
very tired
Me 01:15:42
how many hours you work a day?
Foxconn employee 01:16:04
ten
Me 01:16:29
how much is your pay?
Foxconn employee 01:16:36
it;s long
Me 01:17:30
how much is your pay?

Foxconn employee 01:17:50
2000//2500
Me 01:18:14
can you tell me about your work?
you can write in chinese
Foxconn employee 01:18:37
ok
我还没有毕业 在实习
我们公司是生产电脑的 你知道吗?
富士康
Me 01:20:20
what do they produce?
Foxconn employee 01:20:38
电脑
Me 01:20:58
which ones?
Foxconn employee 01:21:16
computer
Me 01:21:51
phone? pc? tv?
Foxconn employee 01:22:00
computer company
Me 01:22:17
which computer do they produce?
Foxconn employee 01:23:04
hp lenovo dale...
Me 01:23:49
oh do make sony playstation?
Foxconn employee 01:24:10
sony playstation?
??
Me 01:24:17
ps4?
Foxconn employee 01:24:37
yes
Me 01:24:44
can i see?
Foxconn employee 01:25:21
i not have
Me 01:25:29
photo?
Foxconn employee 01:25:44
not have

Me 01:25:51
can you get?
Foxconn employee 01:25:55
i want sleep

Me 01:26:10
ok maybe tomorrow show me
Foxconn employee 01:26:10

Me 01:26:18
ok?
Foxconn employee 01:26:23
no
Me 01:26:27
why?
Foxconn employee 01:26:57
cannot
Me 01:27:02
reason?
Foxconn employee 01:27:20
不能带出公司
我真的睡觉了
拜拜
Me 01:29:21
ok next time tell me more please

Interesting if true because the employee supposedly works at the Chongqing LCD TV and module plant:
http://evertiq.com/news/23149

Kibbles

So if this is true, wouldn't it have less bandwidth than the 360 for all those people that kept saying Orbis was going to be a shit ton better because it had more bandwidth at it's disposal. If it's 8GB in the devkit, surely it's less in the retail, and apparently the Durango retail is 8GB? But of course, nobody believes this one. I don't see how either of them have any credibility in any case.

sangreal

lol @ 2X Ethernet. definitely going to ship with that. so useful!

rb9TrGc.jpg

leroidys

So if this is true, wouldn't it have less bandwidth than the 360 for all those people that kept saying Orbis was going to be a shit ton better because it had more bandwidth at it's disposal. If it's 8GB in the devkit, surely it's less in the retail, and apparently the Durango retail is 8GB? But of course, nobody believes this one. I don't see how either of them have any credibility in any case.

Bandwidth != RAM.

Leaks are coming every day. I think we are getting a pretty good idea of what the final consoles will be like. The missing pieces are really the control interfaces at this point.

if they had 90 pages of PDF documents on the ps4 they'd be scrambling to release it as it would be inevitable that those documents would have been released to someone else. theyre full of shit.

precisely.

in fact, if you read what kotaku posted in the actual article, they said they didn't have the doc at all- THEIR 'SOURCE' has the doc but only shared that small amount of info (about the account system) with them.

The information you're about to read comes from official Orbis documentation, a hive of more than 90 PDFs about the forthcoming console. The details of the files were shared with Kotaku by an individual known as SuperDae, the same person who last year attempted to sell a pair of next-gen Xbox development kits on eBay.

Afrikan

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

You would fail the Turing test.

I'm all for a touchpad or biometrics but not a touch screen. I would always prefer a single screen but I wouldn't mind cross control and especially lag-free remote play on the Vita.

Top Bottom