• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series

Stillmatic

Death of Metal Gear, confirmed. Hopefully MGS V is something special. It'll be interesting to see what Kojima's following project will be.

duckroll

if I were Konami i'd just reboot it

best case scenario it ends up like DmC where some people are outraged and others realize it's a great game regardless

and that way you don't "stain" the series or piss off fans that care about a legacy

then again this is Konami so

This is a new "Metal Gear" series, not a new "Metal Gear Solid" series, so yes, a reboot is also possible.

eizxtHy.jpg

it will probably be the last one for me too :/

kmax

It's unsurprising that they'll keep on milking that cash cow. Unfortunately, they'll be doing it without Kojima, KojiPro, and subsequently the fanbase.

They'll destroy the franchise, much like they did when they ousted Team Silent with Silent Hill.

RIP Metal Gear Solid. Like I said yesterday, the series is dead as we know it.

Femto.

So, perhaps handling MGS6 to Kimura if he's still in Konami after that?

What I'm most worried about is Silent Hills, as it looked so promising. If Kojima can at least stay as a freelance developer until the game is complete (especially with how enthusiastic he sounded about this project), my mind would be at ease.

As far as I can see it there are several options for this game:

1. Kojima finishes his directorial duties on it before parting Konami forever.

2. Another director takes his place, probably someone from the more experienced staff from KojiPro left in Konami after the studio disbands.

3. Konami outsources this game to a 3rd rate western developer.

4. The whole project gets canned.

1 would be most desirable, but if there was power struggles between Kojima and Konami what goes to say that won't affect Silent Hills during development?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Konami has lost it.

A Metal gear game without Koijima... heh good luck with that.
I say good luck understanding the MGS world Kojima has made, I would not like to be the person picking up from that.

Salsa

I bet the next game's trailer starts with a familiar voiceover

who is that?

then David Hayter!! pops into camera but suddenly.. he... removes a mask, and who's under it...? KOJIMA!

!

he was developing it all this time!

but as he starts to talk he suddenly speaks perfect english, so his face removes itself total recall style and who's under it?

CG peter molyneux with bandages

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Already! What the fuck went down between Konami and KojiPro? At this rate MGSV might not even come out.

I say good luck understanding the MGS world Kojima has made, I would not like to be the person picking up from that.

MG-lore is not anywhere close to being as convoluted as people make it out to be.

The underlying themes that go into every MGS game, however, is something unique to Kojima.

I've got a great idea for MGS 6.

It's the story of a sniper whose mother was killed on the battlefield.
Battling her way up through the military she gets deployed into the heart of a deadly combat zone...

...as a short order cook.

Metal Gear Solid 6: Sunny Side Up

failth0.png

Alienous

The reasoning behind this is to calm investors who may be worried about the future of the company's largest gaming IP. It's simply a statement to make clear that despite the departure of any staff, production on this series will continue as usual.

It is not an 'announcement' of MGS6. They haven't even hired the staff!

I agree up to a point. I understand them giving assurances, but it's this that concerns me in particular (Google Translations):

In addition, KONAMI has resolved to embark on production of a new "Metal Gear" series.

Applicants, please refer to the adoption site of Konami website.

■ New "METAL GEAR" Production Members Wanted

It doesn't seem like they're just replacing Kojima Productions so that they can make a sequel, but instead starting something parallel to that.

Yikes. Some would say, theres no reason why MGS wouldn't be good even without Kojima but, this franchise, more so than almost any other I know is such reflection of its own creator that its impossible to imagine a Metal Gear game without Kojima's own special brand of design and writing in it.

Metal Gear is literally Kojima, and I don't really think a series without him putting his all into the games is the Metal Gear we've grown up playing over the last 20 years.

ZoddGutts

Series needed to end anyways same with Kojima needing to move onto other projects. He should use this as he's finale for the series and finally move onto new things.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think this will go about as well as post-Team Silent Silent Hill games.

So completely losing the core appeal of the series, most likely...I mean... Konami had multiple attempts at new visions of the series they nailed originally, and most failed.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You still at denial stage? :/
I don't know what stage this is, things like this don't help.
It's just wrong on so many levels.
Are you telling me That don't seem like they're just trolling us now? true or not.
Thats trolling.

I find it really disconcerting they'd announce they're already thinking of a new Metal Gear series (reboot?) before MGSV TPP is even out!!!

Zalman

Let's be honest, this was going to happen eventually. It's not surprising at all. I'm glad Kojima is finally ending his saga so he can move on. That's clearly what he wants.

UberTag

This is a spite-based Metal Gear project.
I thought they'd at least have the good sense to get Platinum to develop Revengeance 2 before going this route.
Konami's gone completely loco. They might as well make it official and seek out Denis Dyack to be the new face of Metal Gear. After all, he has franchise experience.
KuGsj.gif

Salsa

I find it really disconcerting they'd announce they're already thinking of a new Metal Gear series (reboot?) before MGSV TPP is even out!!!

people are freaking out about what'll happen to Metal Gear

or at least that's how Konami understands it

it's a panic move but an understandable one

Alienous

Already! What the fuck went down between Konami and KojiPro? At this rate MGSV might not even come out.

That games cost too much to not come out.

But I hope that Kojima still has enough control over the project that Konami isn't thinking about dividing it up. Ground Zeroes was such a success. Hopefully it's too late in development to cordon off things for DLC.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well, one can only hope that they will et rid of the cheesiness now and the series back on track without Kojima.

But I fear that whoever now will helm the series will only make it worse....

At this point I just want Rising 2 to happen and I'll be content with never touching another Metal Gear game afterwards.

Unless by some miracle Konami actually makes something great in which case I'll give it a fair go.

I hope is not Platinum games.

On this note, I do have to say that the fact that Konami (maybe?) isn't ditching large-scale Metal Gear games entirely gives me hope that the rumors of Metal Gear Rising 2 will come true. It'd be a serious disappointment if that game was actually under development and ended up getting cancelled because of this.

Alienous

On this note, I do have to say that the fact that Konami (maybe?) isn't ditching large-scale Metal Gear games entirely gives me hope that the rumors of Metal Gear Rising 2 will come true. It'd be a serious disappointment if that game was actually under development and ended up getting cancelled because of this.

I don't see any way that Platinum go through with it if Konami is becoming an anti-Kojima company.

Top Bottom