• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? OCTOBER EDITION

Grug

The Peloponnesian War by Thucydides.

Its for my Theories of International Relations class, but is an interesting read.

Sparta > Athens.

ten5ive9ine

They've got me haunting a family in Texas.
411V22YMSZL._SS400_.jpg

It's fun

snaildog

captainbiotch said:
Skimming these, I've read them all before:

Virtue of Selfishness - Ayn Rand
Philosophy: Who Needs It - Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Nicomachean Ethics - Aristotle

Beginning:

Being Logical - D. Q. Mcinerny
You must be a riot at parties.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Finished

ellis-crookedveincover.jpg

Crooked Little Vein by Mike Ellis

Now reading:

RUS44.jpg

Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

Reading next

C_067102082X.jpg

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie (I had no idea he wrote a book! Blew my mind!)

Eric P

finally finished Making Money last night and started in on a book I've had laying around for a while

a Tor Double Back of Conjure Wife and Our Lady of Darkness by Fritz Leiber

Amazon.com
Fritz Leiber (1910-1992) is best known as the creator of the popular heroic-fantasy duo, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, but his accomplishments, far more diverse than this suggests, have been strongly influenced not only by fantasy but also by science fiction and horror. His fiction has won the Hugo, Nebula, Derleth, Gandalf, Lovecraft, and World Fantasy Awards, and he has been honored with the Life Achievement Lovecraft Award and the Grand Master Nebula Award. Two of his best novels are the classic dark fantasies Conjure Wife (in 1943 filmed as Weird Woman and Burn Witch Burn) and Our Lady of Darkness (1978 winner of the World Fantasy Award), available in a single volume as Dark Ladies

In Conjure Wife, Professor Norman Saylor, ethnologist and rationalist, is enjoying rapid career advancement and a happy marriage until the day he discovers that his wife, Tansy, is a witch. When Norm reminds her that magic is baseless superstition, she destroys her charms and protections--and Norm finds his career disintegrating and himself and his wife in dangers he'd once thought impossible.

Our Lady of Darkness introduces San Francisco horror writer Franz Westen. While studying his beloved city by binoculars from his apartment window, he is astonished to see a mysterious figure waving at him from a hilltop two miles away. He walks to Corona Heights and looks back at his building, to discover the figure waving at him from his apartment window--and to find himself caught in a century-spanning curse that may have destroyed Clark Ashton Smith and Jack London. --Cynthia Ward

DarkAngyl

Just started:

511KBZbmuiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

If it's like the last five I'm sure I'm gonna love it.

And just finished:

51JQxyyzNNL._AA240_.jpg

I cannot reccomend this book enough. Had so much fun with it :)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
0099419785.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Absolutely loving it so far.

Am I the only person who thinks Stephen King's writing style is heavily influenced by Harper Lee. I'm reading the book and thinking, "Damn, just add monsters and you have a Stephen King book".

thomaser

Finished the two I was reading earlier ("The Twelve Caesars" by Suetonius and "The Melancholy of Resistance" by Laszlo Kraszhnorkai), both of which are excellent. I also finished reading a collection of shorter stories by Alexander Kielland, another short story collection compiled by Haruki Murakami called "Birthday Stories", and a silly little book called "The Areas of My Expertise" by John Hodgman.

Right now, I'm reading these:

51C45HT3ZHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

- "Auto-da-fé" by Elias Canetti

5115T5SAKTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

- "On Blue's Waters: Volume One of The Book of the Short Sun" by Gene Wolfe

- "The Pretenders" by Henrik Ibsen, a historical play.

ThePeter

Now i'm reading:

Superb.
51w%2B0RlecZL._SS500_.jpg

djkimothy said:
The Kite Runner. I'm so late on that but gotta finish before the movie is out.

Please avoid the movie, i was at the preview several months back.
They didn't put very much effort into the production, a real shame.

0679728759.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

The first Cormac McCarthy novel I've read. It took me a while to get accustomed to his style, and I feel it took me a while to truly get engrossed in the story, but about halfway through it really clicked. I haven't had the chance to dedicate too much time to it, though. I want to get through it so I can move on to the PKD collections I recently bought.

Ron Chernow - Alexander Hamilton - Awesome biography. I wish I was more like him.

On deck:

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt

I'm on an American President kick. I'm tempted to order George Washington: The Indispensible Man, provided my expenses will allow it.

YakiSOBA said:
A Clash of Kings - Book II [A Song of Ice and Fire]

Totally loving it.

To all you people reading the series for the first time I envy you. I finished A Feast For Crows last year and I am eagerly awaiting A Dance with Dragons.

This is the best fantasy series ever IMHO. Don't worry either as the series keeps getting better with each book. Great stuff!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
$1148 Jack said:
To all you people reading the series for the first time I envy you. I finished A Feast For Crows last year and I am eagerly awaiting A Dance with Dragons.

This is the best fantasy series ever IMHO. Don't worry either as the series keeps getting better with each book. Great stuff!

I just started A Game of Thrones and I can already see why people like his writing style so much. It's very engrossing.

And I'm glad that you seem to think the books get better, my only concern is that I invest all this time into a series that turns to shit.

jon bones said:
I just started A Game of Thrones and I can already see why people like his writing style so much. It's very engrossing.

And I'm glad that you seem to think the books get better, my only concern is that I invest all this time into a series that turns to shit.

Did you know that a TV series is also in the works with HBO? George R.R. Martin will executive produce IIRC. Apparently a single season will encompass 1 book. Could turn out to be fantastic if done right. I hope the commitment doesn't slow down his ability to write the books in a timely fashion though :(

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
$1148 Jack said:
Did you know that a TV series is also in the works with HBO? George R.R. Martin will executive produce IIRC. Apparently a single season will encompass 1 book. Could turn out to be fantastic if done right. I hope the commitment doesn't slow down his ability to write the books in a timely fashion though :(

Yea I heard about this, and it'll probably be pretty good (HBO rarely screws up) but I'd really like to read them all before I watch the TV show.

NekoFever

Bought this since I've been interested in the game adaptation of The Witcher and I saw that this was recently released in English:

19p920.jpg

I've also gone back to The Dark Tower series as I stopped reading for no real reason last year. I'm about 100 pages into Wizard and Glass.

QVT said:
What others have you read?

All of Eddings' series (Loved Belgariad/Malloreon as an early teenager!), Jordan, McCullough, of course Tolkien.
Death gate cycle, Darksword and Dragonlance Chronicles series by Weis/Hickman as a kid.
Katherine Kerr's Deverry cycle (didn't like it much).
Lots of bad Forgotten realms series (though some good).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head!

QVT said:
Oh alright then. It is probably the best out of those that you listed, yeah.

No need to sound sarcastic :lol I can list my entire bookcase but it will take awhile!

Seriously, the series is spectacular. I have found many of the characters (especially the 'evil' ones) to be full of depth and devoid of cliche which is hard to do in the fantasy genre.

If you have suggestions that I should read I'm all 'eyes', that is if they don't already reside in my bookcase ;)

Mifune

Mehmber
Cosmic Bus said:
After three, possibly four years of talking it up, I'm so glad to see people reading Blindness.

You had me with your first recommendation of it, but it has taken me a while to finally pick it up. Large queue and all that.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I got David Mitchell's Number 9 Dream in the mail a few days ago and will probably start it up tonight. I've heard some mild Murakami comparisons made towards this book, and since no one on the swap sites I use is interested in trading away the few Murakami titles I haven't read yet, I figured this would be a decent diversion.

Cosmic Bus said:
I got David Mitchell's Number 9 Dream in the mail a few days ago and will probably start it up tonight. I've heard some mild Murakami comparisons made towards this book, and since no one on the swap sites I use is interested in trading away the few Murakami titles I haven't read yet, I figured this would be a decent diversion.
The end of this book is dissapointing to the point of souring the rest of the book.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
$1148 Jack said:
No need to sound sarcastic :lol I can list my entire bookcase but it will take awhile!

Seriously, the series is spectacular. I have found many of the characters (especially the 'evil' ones) to be full of depth and devoid of cliche which is hard to do in the fantasy genre.

If you have suggestions that I should read I'm all 'eyes', that is if they don't already reside in my bookcase ;)

I was going my best not to sound sarcastic at any point. :lol I'm not exactly a "fan" of the series.

No suggestions really, unless you've not read Gene Wolfe.

Stantron

PhlegmMaster said:
Right now I'm reading this:

0670033847.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Excellent read. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after your finished. BTW, Kurzweil is coming out with a Singularity movie sometime in 2008.

QVT said:
I was going my best not to sound sarcastic at any point. :lol I'm not exactly a "fan" of the series.

No suggestions really, unless you've not read Gene Wolfe.

Fair enough :lol . It's like you anticipated my move though as I picked up The Book Of the New Sun last week but have yet to start it. Many friends have suggested that the books in the series are excellent, so my opinions may change (it has to be damn awesome though!).

Maybe this is not the time or place but what makes you dislike the Song of Ice and Fire series by Martin?

Duke Togo

e5gp69.jpg

I believe this is the fourth book in the Horus Heresy series. Highly recommended for anybody who like the 40k universe, or is interested in it.

YYZ

51X4NY3V9RL._SS500_.jpg

reading some classics because I hardly read anything for leisure. I guess you can call it "forming a base". I'm pretty into it, Bronte has a compelling style of description. I haven't gotten to the romance part of it yet.

If you've read this book and are going to post an opinion, please spoiler tag.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
$1148 Jack said:
Fair enough :lol . It's like you anticipated my move though as I picked up The Book Of the New Sun last week but have yet to start it. Many friends have suggested that the books in the series are excellent, so my opinions may change (it has to be damn awesome though!).

Maybe this is not the time or place but what makes you dislike the Song of Ice and Fire series by Martin?

Oh, you should be pleasantly amazed by the Book of the New Sun. It's fantastic.

I dislike his writing style and his characters and his animosity towards them. I try not to talk about my dislike for it though as it seems everything I hate is what people like about it.

Walshicus

Eric P said:
also reading:

51pRP2w2djL._SS500_.jpg

love it. taking my time with it to savour it.

Wow that cover art is awful! I bought the book the other day and mine looks like this:
Making_Money_Paul_Kidby.jpg

Regional differences I suppose.

EDIT:
Yeah, compare:
9780060502935.jpg
gplg.jpg

FnordChan

Regarding Laurell K. Hamilton's Guilty Pleasures:

QVT said:
Wanted to see what they're like. I'm not exactly impressed so far.

I have a copy of that on my to-read pile and hope to give it a fair shake at some point. I don't mind if it's fluff as long as the fluff is entertaining. Speaking of which, in the supernatural detective vein I thoroughly enjoyed all of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, which you may find more enjoyable than the Anita Blake series. Fluffy as hell but entertaining serial fiction, just so long as you don't go in expecting, say, Gene Wolfe.

Meanwhile, I finished Pattern Recognition and loved it. I'll be picking up Spook Country in hardcover when I have the scratch, which right now is a bit thin on the ground. Meanwhile, I fired up my next paperback: Frederick Forsyth's The Fourth Protocol. Ah, cold war spy thrillers, how I love you. And, hey, Kim Philby!

FnordChan

Eric P

Sir Fragula said:
Wow that cover art is awful! I bought the book the other day and mine looks like this:

Regional differences I suppose.

they used to just use the Kirby artwork

but all of the "new" american promotional stuff (covers, ads) now is pretty bad, because i think they're trying for crossover success.

Eric P

FnordChan said:
Speaking of which, in the supernatural detective vein I thoroughly enjoyed all of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, which you may find more enjoyable than the Anita Blake series.

FnordChan

have you read the Repair Man Jack books by F. Paul Wilson?

Walshicus

Eric P said:
they used to just use the Kirby artwork

but all of the "new" american promotional stuff (covers, ads) now is pretty bad, because i think they're trying for crossover success.

Alas. Still, there's an old saying about book covers that nearly comes to mind. I'm sure I'll remember it sooner rather than later though. ;)

Eric P

Sir Fragula said:
Alas. Still, there's an old saying about book covers that nearly comes to mind. I'm sure I'll remember it sooner rather than later though. ;)

i also occasionally find American Book Club editions which use alternate artwork. The book club editions were, for the longest time, the only way to get the Pratchett works reliably in America.

I remember having to read about books that came out in the UK while having to wait up to a year for the Stateside release..

Eric P

FnordChan said:
Never heard of 'em. Gimmie the skinny!

FnordChan

excellent series fiction.

it's about a fixer in nyc who lives off the grid who fixes situations and the over all story arc about preventing a big bad cosmic horror.

check pms

puck1337

I went on a bit of a reading binge last week and finished the following books:

9780060975197.jpg

I was already about half way done this one, so I needed to finish it. I don't see what the controversy is about.

Banker_to_the_Poor_nobel.gif

I really loved this one. Micro-lending seems like such a no-brainer, but I guess that's hindsight.

heat_200.jpg

Heat might be my second favourite book that I've read this year. Great insight into professional kitchens and hilarious anecdotes about Mario Batali and other notable figures.

books_inside_1313.jpg

Inside is written differently than anything I've previously read. It really feels as though you're inside the lead character's subconscious. Awesome piece of fiction.

Right now I'm starting on the English translation of Walter Benjamin's 'The Arcades Project'. I don't know whether I'll finish it right away. I'll probably pick at it for a few months while I read other stuff.

51M540P35DL._SS500_.jpg

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just finished:
51YXKWKGNZL._SS500_.jpg

As amazing as the book is what really made an impact on me (and is probably the best thing I've read in years) was the preface by Orwell that was originally omitted and did not get printed until some thirty years later.

Just started:

51xoO1XfNyL._SS500_.jpg

Very, very good thus far.

Top Bottom