• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 getting full combat rebalance mod with new animations and big changes

Daingurse

Is a combat one different from ballerina one? :D

Also, did they ever fix the issue of how you can't seem to be able to cast any magic unless you are completely stationary? was annoying.

Haha, this is the basic definition of a pirouette, " a rapid whirling about of the body. . .". In the book I read, The Last Wish, Geralt is all about dat pirouette too lol.

HeelPower

I'd love to merge CD projekt and From Software. From could handle the combat and encounter design/balancing and CD projekt everything else.

My perfect video game.

no thanks from software are excellent at storytelling in their own way. There is infinite pleasure in finding an NPC with excellent voice acting telling you whats going on and just concluding the story from your surroundings.

woober

Perfect chance for me to do my 2nd runthrough... as if their original Enhanced Edition content update wasn't enough incentive.

Perkel

Banned
Is a combat one different from ballerina one? :D

Also, did they ever fix the issue of how you can't seem to be able to cast any magic unless you are completely stationary? was annoying.

It's defensive move used in sword fight. This is for movement it will probably change dodge to this and it is integral part of The Witcher 3.

Perfect chance for me to do my 2nd runthrough... as if their original Enhanced Edition content update wasn't enough incentive.

This will be my fourth which will make it the only current gen game I've played more than 3 times and one of the very few I've completed more than once.

Buntabox

Maybe after this comes out I'll finish my Dark difficulty play through. It was just so time consuming to grind the items for those armors.

It's defensive move used in sword fight. This is for movement it will probably change dodge to this and it is integral part of The Witcher 3.

i always did find it goofy that gerald's combat style is rolling around like link. Looks even more goofy if you have that roll distance buff :p

Daingurse

i always did find it goofy that gerald's combat style is rolling around like link. Looks even more goofy if you have that roll distance buff :p

Noone ever rolls fighting with sword.
That's like wrestling naked with broken window.

Witcher 2 melee combat is very roll heavy, which is kinda funny not only because it's nonsensical, but in addition that's not what Geralt is about. Agility, grace, precision that's how Geralt fights. But I won't even lie, I loved rolling like a maniac outta Dark Souls.

aeolist

Banned
it's probably my fault but i could never grok tw2 combat and always gave up after reaching that first town and getting destroyed instantly as soon as i stepped outside. tried playing it like 3 times now too.

if this makes things more comprehensible (and with a better interface, my god) i might try again. kinda soured on the game at this point though.

hoserx

This makes me wish I paid full price for this game. I feel bad having received such a gaming bounty from these folks for 6.49.

Buffington

Neo Member
Played it on the 360 but couldn't get into it. I have little patience for poor menu systems. I didn't like the dialogue. The combat was OK but rolling around all the time was goofy. Sometimes if you were facing an enemy with shields your sword would bounce off them when trying to hit another enemy but I'm not sure if that was my fault and I overlooked some ability to remove shields or something. I never gave the game enough of a chance tbh and this combat mod probably won't make me give it another on GoG. However I think the developer's great, the kind I want to support, so the Witcher 3 is still on my radar.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is this out? The post in the source is dated May 15th and says two weeks from then.

Midou

Awesome, I wasn't expecting any other changes at this point.

Now just get rid of some of those QTEs too and it would be perfect. :p

Sulik2

Wow this sounds really cool. I quit playing the Witcher 2 after about 10 hours, I may have to start over and see if I like the combat better with this mod.

Now this is something different! While I've always liked the flow of TW2's fighting, these new combat options sound pretty amazing. Can't wait to fight the Assassins of Kings using these new moves. =D

EDIT: Also, this is the latest post from Flash, the mod creator, taken from the topic that is linked in the OP. The post is from June 3rd.

Update on mod status.
All the features for the mod are finished. I can release source code and assets but moving the mod from editor to the game requires time consuming trial and error cooking process. I need to optimize installation size, now it weighs 8GB

I tested all the features on the arena but I don't have time for a playthrough now.

I'll take a look at this problem with controls.

Link to above post.

Varna

This sounds amazing.

Wonder if the mod will cover other things as well. Geralt and enemy reaction to attacks was also another huge problem with the combat.

FACE

Banned
The changelog is gigantic:

GENERAL CHANGES

Up to 80% increase in responsivness per Geralt's animations.
Up to 50% increase in repsonsivness per NPCs animations.
Added strafing while being locked on an enemy and walking.
Geralt can block while moving ( NEW ANIMATIONS ). Static Guard Stance is no longer required to parry enemy attacks.
Geralt automatically parries enemy sword attacks and deflects incoming arrows.
Geralt and his attackers are no longer bouncing off parry. It allows to continue attack sequence.
Monster attacks still cannot be parried with a sword.
While using Guard Stance Geralt channels an active Quen shield.
Above listed changes to defence mechanics decreased importance of rolling in combat.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

Decreased the number of skill to ensure quality over quantity.
Geralt now starts with core witcher skills already learned. No need to go through Training tree before unlocking other branches.
Removed many passives from skill tree to replace them with more active abilities. Remaining passives are changed to make them more attractive.
All skills now have one level ( previously 2 ).
Aard and Igni Signs have been changed from projectile to cone area of effect.
Riposte doesn't require Guard Stance to activate, only attacking in a timed window.
Changed riposte animations ( NEW ANIMATIONS, DUH ) to prevent Geralt from sliding on enemies.
Experience points are given only for progressing through quests, not for killing enemies. This encourages role-playing without worrying about missing experience.
Geralt no longer buys witcher specific recipies from random merchants. He recalls lost memories as a part of character development.

BALANCE

Each enemy is balanced according to his constitution, combat skill, combat style, weapon and armor type. Following this pattern allowed to created consistent rules that every character follows. A barechested bandit won't survive more hits than a knight in platemail just because the bandit was encountered later in game.
Decreased the disproportion in stats between starting equipment and late game equipment.
Moved the weight of character power from equipment to character development. Learned skills should have as big impact on Geralt's badass factor as items.
Geralt's armors are split into 4 categories: leather jackets, heavy leather jackets, combat jackets and heavy combat jackets. Heavier armors impose small damage penalty on Geralt. Players need to choose between max damage and protection.
Items imported from The Witcher savegames are of the same quality as in the first game. An exceptional armor and weapon remains valuable. This makes the game easier, but it is an intentional reward.
Set elixirs and oils duration to 1 hour.
Added potion overdose and heavy overdose debuffs on toxicity thresholds 55 and 65.
Removed Fatigue penalty that decreased sword damage and damage reduction on block when Vigor was spent on Signs or Parry. It discouraged some players from using Signs becaused it decreased Geralt's sword DPS.
NPCs deal full damage to other NPCs.
Removed 50% Hit Points condition for throwing enemy off height with Aard.
Decreased Riposte damage multiplier to 1.0, but added 30% enemy parry chance debuff.
Riposte no longer costs Vigor.
Silver throwing daggers are considered as silver weapons for damage calculations against monsters.
Inceneration, Bleeding and Poisoning effects are allowed to be active at the same time.
Made quest experience rewards more consistent. There are no longer any situations where player is rewarded with 50 experience points for one quests and 2000 for another.
Made moral choices in quests equally rewarding in terms of experience and items. Players should be encouraged more to role-play instead of weighing quest rewards.
Geralt gains knowledge about monsters faster.
Changed rewards for gaining knowledge about monsters to monster specific oils for swords.
Set minimal damage dealt by Geralt to zero ( was 5 ).
Removed bonus damage for backstabs.
Finally soaked boots in tutorial weigh more than dry boots!!

ECONOMY

Decreased the number of armors and weapons present in game. Amount of equipment is adjusted to provide smoother item progression without making huge amount of items useless stat-wise.
Weapons and armors that are present in the game were picked according to these rules: visual differentiation, witcher low level magic setting. Some items available in game assets but not used in original game were reintroduced.
Moved more quality items from quest rewards to shops and distributed them among Chapters. Player should be encouraged to regulary spend money in shops.
Decreased buying cost of swords and armors. Player should be able to buy items more often, not hoard money.
Decreased amount of loot dropped from enemies.
Removed some of the junk items from container definitions.
Made vendors specialize in certain type of merchandize.
Witcher specific recipies cannot be bought but also cannot be sold to merchants.

VISUALS

Added Focused Combat Stance. Geralt enters focused state during challenging encounters.
While in Focused Stance Geralt performs piruettes ( NEW ANIMATION ) instead of rolling and uses Guard Stance idle animation.
Enemies explode when killed by mage spells. Does not apply to witcher Signs - they are not that powerful.
Made finisher animations which use Signs unlocked by upgrading Aard and Igni in character development.
Removed cutscene swords. Geralt will use his currently equipped sword in all cutscenes.
Equipped enemies with swords according to their social status, wealth and current situation in the game. For example, soldiers patrolling areas near ghost fog in Act 2 are equipped with silver swords like the story suggests.
Decreased camera shake effect used on each step of huge creatures like trolls and golems.
Removed green cloud effect from enemy poisoning FX.

FIXES

Tweaked anim events in all combat animations to improve timings and responsivness.
Fixed sword oils not providing bonus damge against monsters.
Fixed Circle of Power: Endurance giving Circle of Power: Vitality bonus.
Fixed a bug where Geralt was always doing 2 more steps after roll before stopping.

OTHER

Changed item rarity names to reflect witcher's low level magic setting. Items are no longer MAGICAL and EPIC.
Decreased attacked enemy importance for targetting to make switching enemies easier.
Many, many other changes that were required to make features listed above work.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Automatically parrying sword attacks sounds lame. I hope you can turn it off.

rashbeep

Banned
Definitely one of the better developers out there. Not looking forward to the day they lose my trust but for now, weeeeeeeeeeee!

EasyMode

Up to 80% increase in responsivness per Geralt's animations.
Added strafing while being locked on an enemy and walking.

Holy shit, thank you! Lock-on without strafing was silly, as was the excessive rolling and Geralt's sluggish movement. The auto-parry thing is concerning though...

The fact that this guy is working on The Witcher 3 has me really looking forward to it.

Revan

I wonder if The Witcher and The Witcher 2 will be coming to Sony consoles.....they were originally exclusive to the Xbox no?

Kvik

Can't wait to do another fight with The Operator in Dark difficulty with this mod. Hopefully with that 80% increase in responsiveness I can now evade those annoying gargoyles.

Top Bottom