• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 Review Thread

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well this certainly sounds much better than I was expecting.

The subpar release date now makes a lot less sense though.

DaBuddaDa

Never forget:

5lvic.png

Be wary of scores. Read the texts.

Zeliard

Far Cry 2 is $10 on Steam and well-worth it. I'm prepared to fight anyone to the death who thinks otherwise.

I'm gonna miss the buddy system in FC3. Dunno why they took it out instead of just building on it.

RedSwirl

Man I didn't expect reviews this high. I for one loved Far Cry 2 while recognizing the game had serious problems. I'm just hoping they kept what was so good about that game - its open-world design.

BiggNife

Dang, surprised by such high scores.

If this game fixes the main problem I had with FC2, mainly that navigating from place to place was a huge pain in the ass, then I'm on board.

Day 1 confirmed. I just hope they keep some of what made Farcry 2 so great. I hope the atmosphere at night time is as good as it was in FC2. Wonder how MP will pan out.

Are there any CE's for this or DLC I should know about?

Wow. Ubi is just killing it. This actually has me VERY excited for the next Splinter Cell. But, I guess first things first. I never thought I'd buy another Far Cry game after the garbage that was FC2, but it looks like they learned some lessons and made a better game because of it. I love when a company has it in them to learn. ::stares down Capcom::

I loved Far Cry 2, so I might get this day one.

/checks Steam:

Digital Deluxe Edition
The Deluxe Edition includes:

The Monkey Business Pack: Meet Hurk and his explosive bomb-carrying monkey in four heart-pounding missions and get two bonus ways to humiliate your friends in multiplayer.

The Lost Expeditions: Discover the secrets of the island’s lost World War II ruins in two suspenseful action missions, and unlock the power of a shotgun in a one-handed flare gun in multiplayer.

The Warrior Pack: Strike fear in your enemies with an exclusive dagger and get an early unlock of the tattoo editor in multiplayer.

The Predator Pack: Hunt four ferocious animals with the M-700 Predator Rifle in single-player and silently kill opponents with the unlocked Predator Bow in multiplayer.

The Survival Guide artbook (pdf file): Discover unique artwork and insider information to help you survive the insanity of the island.

The game soundtrack

$59.00

I luvs PC gaming. Sold!

Edit: Cool, they threw in Far Cry as well. Thanks, Gabe.

RedSwirl

RPS said:
Rather than take Far Cry 2′s “it’s all about the shooting” approach to the game, they’ve made it more of a place, more of a world.

Damn. This is exactly what I wanted to hear after finishing FC2.

I got it for free with my GPU! How awesome is that? YEESSS

dammn I can't wait for Saturday! I get paid, I get my GPU and I get to play some new games! Gotta finish this physics work though >_>

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HOLY FUCK AT THE REVIEWS SO FAR!

Highest scoring game of 2012?

GOTY?

So far the highest rated games this year are (based on most reviewed SKU):

Mass Effect 3 - 93
Journey - 92
Mark of a Ninja - 90
Guild Wars 2 - 90
FIFA Soccer 13 - 90
Borderlands 2 - 89
XCOM - 89

I think it will need a few more 9.5's and 10's to beat ME3, but it will definitely be near the top at least.

x-Lundz-x

More importantly: are there checkpoints in this game? AND ARE THE DUDES CONSTANTLY RESPAWNING AT THE CHECKPOINTS?

I'm sorry... just had a nightmarish flashback ... *shivers*

No that has been fixed. Once you capture a base it's yours and the enemies do not spawn there any longer I believe.

I wonder if Crytek will be disappointed to see Far Cry doing so well without them..

Mass Effect 3 - 93
Mark of a Ninja - 90
Guild Wars 2 - 90
FIFA Soccer 13 - 90
Borderlands 2 - 89
XCOM - 89

I think it will need a few more 9.5's and 10's to beat ME3, but it will definitely be near the top at least.
This is why metacritic is irrelevant.

Dennis

Banned

Mass Effect 3 - 93
Mark of a Ninja - 90
Guild Wars 2 - 90
FIFA Soccer 13 - 90
Borderlands 2 - 89
XCOM - 89

Wow I had no idea Mass Effect 3 ended up with 93%. Bioware must be well pleased.

SJRB

Gold Member
These reviews are crazy high, wow.

IGN's livestream from yesterday really sold me on this game.

Dennis

Banned
What I love about open-world games is the free-roam and the exploration aspects. The missions are just filler.

It seems like this is a fully fleshed out world with lots of life in it.

Top Bottom