• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom coming to North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
JDSN said:
This is very un-capcom of Capcom.
Why? I suppose they want to continue using the engine and tools, and probably stay with the RVA arcade platform, so they'll get their Wii versions pretty much for free.

wsippel said:
Why? I suppose they want to continue using the engine and tools, and probably stay with the RVA arcade platform, so they'll get their Wii versions pretty much for free.
Well, it seems unlikely that the company that tried bringing an X360 game to Wii would really write off the possibility of bringing an arcade/Wii franchise to other consoles.

TreIII

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, it seems unlikely that the company that tried bringing an X360 game to Wii would really write off the possibility of bringing an arcade/Wii franchise to other consoles.

It's not so much of thing of Capcom being noble, it's just what's feasibly "easier".

Again, the basic thing, which is why a TvC port to 360/PS3 is unfeasible now, is because it would be too much work to take the TvC engine, which was built on Wii architecture, and "upscale" it for the sake of making it "HD-ready".

If they were going to do all that, they might as well just make a brand new game, with all new assets. And that's not likely, because 8ing themselves are not likely to do such a thing themselves, and Capcom is not likely to invest in the money and resources necessary to make such a thing happen otherwise.

Besides, for all that people like to talk about how Capcom loves to port stuff all over the place (and it's true, yes), there's still a good number of examples that prove the contrary, too. TvC, and any sequels it inspires, could easily end up being such a thing.

MrMephistoX

"if people are going to invest in this game, like we want them to, they’re going to go out and buy arcade sticks. It would be a disservice to fans to just put out this one game that they buy sticks for and then they have nothing more to play. Since this one is for the Wii, maybe the sequel will also be on the Wii....
But, we have to look at market conditions to make a final decision about that. As the way I’m seeing it now, the sequels will be on the Wii as well."

It's not really quite as cut and dry as one would think and I for one am seeing shades of Dreamcast. Niitsuma implies that the decision will be sales driven as if CAPCOM hopes TVC will have the same impact on the Wii that SFIV did on HD consoles ie, huge sales, a mad rush to purchase arcade sticks, backorders at akihabara shop etc...

In short, as Roadblock would say, if it fails on Wii there's hope for HD.

RyuKanSan

MrMephistoX said:
"if people are going to invest in this game, like we want them to, they’re going to go out and buy arcade sticks. It would be a disservice to fans to just put out this one game that they buy sticks for and then they have nothing more to play. Since this one is for the Wii, maybe the sequel will also be on the Wii....
But, we have to look at market conditions to make a final decision about that. As the way I’m seeing it now, the sequels will be on the Wii as well."

It's not really quite as cut and dry as one would think and I for one am seeing shades of Dreamcast. Niitsuma implies that the decision will be sales driven as if CAPCOM hopes TVC will have the same impact on the Wii that SFIV did on HD consoles ie, huge sales, a mad rush to purchase arcade sticks, backorders at akihabara shop etc...

In short, as Roadblock would say, if it fails on Wii there's hope for HD.

Perhaps but I doubt it even is a success on the Wii at all. Not unless they give it a big push. The majority of people are waiting on it to be in HD anyway. So if it fails on Wii they basically get the wish in a sense.

MrMephistoX

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm curious where you got this from

I know I'm one of them and I think most who've invested in modding fightsticks and such probably aren't looking forward to double dipping on a console with stock Hori sticks that are a pain to mod particularly when this is the only noteworthy online fighter unless you count Smash Bros. Unfortunately despite their recent success on HD consoles fighters are still extremely niche especially for an extremely mainstream console that has yet to see a hardcore success story. Even Mario Galaxy (probably the best platform this gen and last) sold poorly compared to Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play, and Wii Fit.

Don't get me wrong I will buy this for Wii in a hearbeat but will use the classic controller.

farnham

Banned
MrMephistoX said:
I know I'm one of them
okay so you = the majority of people..???

MrMephistoX said:
Unfortunately despite their recent success on HD consoles fighters are still extremely niche especially for an extremely mainstream console that has yet to see a hardcore success story. Even Mario Galaxy (probably the best platform this gen and last) sold poorly compared to Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play, and Wii Fit.

1. Mario Galaxy sold over 8 million units to date... thats more then what gears 1 or 2 sold... and WSR did not sell 8 million units..
2. you talk about fighters..(ofcourse completely ignoring the fact that smash bros brawl sold over 8 million units and is up there with galaxy as well ) and then go talk about platformers..???

farnham

Banned
VerTiGo said:
Street Fighter IV vs. Tsatsunoko = No contest.

The Wii is getting the better Capcom fighter. Oh, the irony!
i still cant believe that SFIV is not comming out to the wii.. what a missed opportunity

Tiktaalik

farnham said:

1. Mario Galaxy sold over 8 million units to date... thats more then what gears 1 or 2 sold... and WSR did not sell 8 million units..
2. you talk about fighters..(ofcourse completely ignoring the fact that smash bros brawl sold over 8 million units and is up there with galaxy as well ) and then go talk about platformers..???

What's the source for Mario Galaxy selling that much? I didn't think it was that high, but I've stopped keeping track.

edit: never mind another, more in depth, google saved the day

hatchx

Banned
farnham said:
i still cant believe that SFIV is not comming out to the wii.. what a missed opportunity

I'm not surprised, the game was developed for the HD consoles. Certainly the game would sell well on wii, but I think for it to be a worthwhile venture (for us gamers, atleast) it would have to be built from the ground-up or seriously reworked.

VerTiGo

Banned
farnham said:

It will at some point or another. Capcom even brought over an excellent port of Capcom vs. SNK 2 over to the GameCube, which I have to find by the way (no idea what I thought when I got rid of it).

You can guarantee that if this does remotely well, a port of Street Fighter IV will come to the Wii, I don't expect it to be that watered down either, definitely not in gameplay, it may even have some enhancements in that department.

Afterall, Street Fighter is highly regarded as being a mass audience game, as well as a classic franchise, bringing it to the Wii only seems to be a logical choice, especially if they've had made any profit off their Virtual Console downloads.

There's actually a very good line-up of fighting games on the Wii already. You have two Guilty Gear XX games, Samurai Showdown Anthology, King of Fighters, all the VC games, to excellent Dragon Ball Z Budokai games (which are better on the Wii because for the most part the motion controls make it more fun), and the Naruto games, which are received amazingly well. Oh, and not to mention the most popular of them all, being Smash Bros. and will TMNT following up on that formula. There really is no reason to ignore that consumer.

farnham

Banned
hatchx said:
I'm not surprised, the game was developed for the HD consoles. Certainly the game would sell well on wii, but I think for it to be a worthwhile venture (for us gamers, atleast) it would have to be built from the ground-up or seriously reworked.
okay so why should it bother gamer that capcom releases a wii port of SFIV.. ?

plus didnt ono san said himself that he wants SFIV on every platform imaginable..?

VerTiGo said:
Capcom even brought over an excellent port of Capcom vs. SNK 2 over to the GameCube, which I have to find by the way (no idea what I thought when I got rid of it).
i dont know i thought that port was kinda bad due to the long loading.. but thats probably because the GC version was the only one i played..

hatchx

Banned
farnham said:

plus didnt ono san said himself that he wants SFIV on every platform imaginable..?

Well it would basically be a down-res'ed Street Fighter 4 for wii. If that was the case, what incentive to I have to buy it when I can buy the superior version for one of the other systems? We saw what happened to Dead Rising (and every other port).

WiiHD will probably get the port if anything.

If developers do it right, they do it like EA or Activision and focus specific teams on different versions of the same game.

VerTiGo

Banned
farnham said:

It wouldn't be smart for Capcom not to do it. Just take into consideration Street Fighter II. Capcom wanted its exposure on all major platforms during the 16-bit era and they did just that, even by brining it to the Turbo Grafx.

I really doubt they'd stick to just one version of Street Fighter IV. That's just not the Capcom we know.

And honestly, the artstyle or visual presentation isn't so out of this world that it couldn't be reworked for the Wii with excellent results. Hell, if it went full throttle with cel-shading they could make it look better than the original release, because (sorry) the character design is flat-out horrible, but its still a visually pleasing game.

VerTiGo

Banned
Cynar said:
troll post? :lol

Hell no. Street Fighter IV is horribly overrated. Great game but I wouldn't even choose it over the HD remix of Street Fighter II. As far as I'm concerned it's a huge step back after 3rd Strike and the vs. series is inherently more fun.

explodet said:
Everytime this thread is bumped I have to check it.

"Have they announced the new characters yet?"

*scans thread*

DAMN IT

Same thing I've been wondering. I really thought they would've dropped something at Comic-Con but no dice there. I guess all we can do is sit back and wait.

hatchx said:
Well it would basically be a down-res'ed Street Fighter 4 for wii. If that was the case, what incentive to I have to buy it when I can buy the superior version for one of the other systems? We saw what happened to Dead Rising and every other port.

Dead Rising: CTYD is not a good example of a 3rd party HD game being ported to Wii. The entire problem the port had was that Dead Rising, in its 360 form, was simply not possible on Wii with a graphical downgrade. Since Capcom (or TOSE) couldn't get the Dead Rising gameplay to work on Wii, they shoehorned the Resident Evil 4 gameplay into the game, which completely destroyed the structure and the vsion of the original game. That's why it was a horrible port. It wasn't the same game.

However, there are plenty of HD games that I believe CAN work on Wii with graphical downgrades. Some of which include Dead Space, Bioshock, and most of all Street Fighter 4.

MrMephistoX

farnham said:

I probably didn't frame the argument as well as I should have ( Mario sells well...to the hardcore not mainstream) but my point was this: I don't think Tatsunoku v.s Capcom is going to sell as well as the developers would like on Wii nor will it spark the same level of interest in peripheral buying and modding that SFIV continues to do on HD consoles. I'm going to buy it for sure but there is no way I'd purchase another stick for one game particularly when (IMHO although it should be obvious) I don't believe there will be more worthwhile reasons to use said peripheral. Even with a middling success Capcom would be foolish not to release a sequel or downloadable version of TvsC on HD consoles.

I'm a sucker for great games on mismatched consoles...see Blue Dragon and Madworld.

farnham

Banned
MrMephistoX said:
I probably didn't frame the argument as well as I should have ( Mario sells well...to the hardcore not mainstream) but my point was this: I don't think Tatsunoku v.s Capcom is going to sell as well as the developers would like on Wii nor will it spark the same level of interest in peripheral buying and modding that SFIV continues to do on HD consoles. I'm going to buy it for sure but there is no way I'd purchase another stick for one game particularly when (IMHO although it should be obvious) I don't believe there will be more worthwhile reasons to use said peripheral. Even with a middling success Capcom would be foolish not to release a sequel or downloadable version of TvsC on HD consoles.

I'm a sucker for great games on mismatched consoles...see Blue Dragon and Madworld.
your argument still makes no sense at all

SSBB sold 8 million units... thats more then SFIV and every other fighting game on the HD consoles combined easily.. to ignore that fact and to say that Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom will not sell is just ignorant.. fighting games on the Wii can sell when marketed properly.. there is an audience for it..

of course SF IV has a much higher namevalue then a VS series game no doubt.. thats why im saying that it is odd that capcom still did not announce a port of this game although ono said that he wants SFIV on every platform possible

and why is madworld or bluedragon a mismatch..?

bluedragon without the financial backup from microsoft was atrocious (not to mention that the 360 is the HD JRPG console of this gen)
madworld without motioncontrolls would be a very dull game..

and mario only sells to hardcore..?

isnt mario one of the highest selling franchises ever.. nsmb sold over 20 million units.. galaxy sold over 8 million units.. its unlikely that its selling to hardcore gamers only

jrricky

Banned
MrMephistoX said:

You should stop while you are at it...

Honestly, you guys should just say away from the sales argument

Just say "I want it on an HD system because where it is isn't up to my standards." That is far more intellectually honest.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ookami-kun said:
So much posts of I WANT THIS GAEM ON MY SYSTEM even now? HAHAHA XD

Well, it's true. Honestly: I'd love TvC to hit 360/PS3, if only because it means I don't have to plug my Wii that's been in the closet for about two years now in to play one game on it. :lol

But I'll probably buy TvC anyway if it confirms online (and doesn't have the bullshit friend-code system *doubtful* and actually USES THE GODDAMN CONSOLE ID INSTEAD OF A SEPERATE CODE).

jrricky

Banned
TheSeks said:
Well, it's true. Honestly: I'd love TvC to hit 360/PS3, if only because it means I don't have to plug my Wii that's been in the closet for about two years now in to play one game on it. :lol

But I'll probably buy TvC anyway if it confirms online (and doesn't have the bullshit friend-code system *doubtful* and actually USES THE GODDAMN CONSOLE ID INSTEAD OF A SEPERATE CODE).
Its Capcom. They will use their own servers. And I am just going to ignore that first bit of statement.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
farnham said:
your argument still makes no sense at all

SSBB sold 8 million units... thats more then SFIV and every other fighting game on the HD consoles combined easily.. to ignore that fact and to say that Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom will not sell is just ignorant.. fighting games on the Wii can sell when marketed properly.. there is an audience for it..

That's not entirely accurate. Super Smash Brothers Brawl has a lot more appeal than simply fighting. It's fan service in the truest sense. Even people who don't care about fighitng games at all crave the sight of Link against Mario. It's appeal stems from more then a competitive fighting engine... it stems from recognizable icons.

A more accurate analogy would be with Castlevania Judgment... or Dragon Ball or something (and I see the obvious problems with those comparisons as well).

jman2050

GuardianE said:
That's not entirely accurate. Super Smash Brothers Brawl has a lot more appeal than simply fighting. It's fan service in the truest sense.

Wait, and the VS games aren't fanservice in the truest sense? That was kind of the whole idea behind this crossover business in the first place.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
jrricky said:
Its Capcom. They will use their own servers.

Does Monster Hunter use a non-WFC standard? Because Nintendo's online as a whole SUCKS, quite frankly and is the reason why I can't give a damn about most of the online offerings for it.

If TvC uses a non friend-code system, DO WANT. If not true, sort-of want. Simple as that.

MrMephistoX

ShockingAlberto said:
Honestly, you guys should just say away from the sales argument

Just say "I want it on an HD system because where it is isn't up to my standards." That is far more intellectually honest.
I have no problem admitting this.

and the VS games aren't fanservice in the truest sense? That was kind of the whole idea behind this crossover business in the first place.

They are fanservice of course but the Tatsunoku properties are practically unknown in the west for a mainstream audience which kind of drives the niche status up a notch. I just don't give that much credit to the Wii mainstream after Zack and Wiki, Mad World, Okami, and No More Heroes.

jman2050

MrMephistoX said:
I just don't give that much credit to the Wii mainstream after Zack and Wiki, Mad World, Okami, and No More Heroes.

Games that would have bombed on any console make you give less credit to the mainstream?

Huh?

I've considered many times getting a Wii just to get a new Vs. cross-over - I remember reading Capcom was going to consider sequels on HD platforms post-release but it looks like the other consoles won't be getting this series. Bummer, I really want a new Vs. series, I don't care which as long as it's something FUN FUN FUN. I don't know why but for approx. a month I thought this one was coming to PS3/360 this summer...

Whenever I see any videos/gameplay for this I want to straight up buy a Wii; the game just looks awesome, and so much fun to play.

pakkit

Banned
MrMephistoX said:
They are fanservice of course but the Tatsunoku properties are practically unknown in the west for a mainstream audience which kind of drives the niche status up a notch. I just don't give that much credit to the Wii mainstream after Zack and Wiki, Mad World, Okami, and No More Heroes.
It's always a good idea to base your assumptions on a demographic off of niche games and ports. Always.

-PXG-

Getting Japanese version this weekend for $30. I can't wait for next year....But I still need a proper to control to play this game with

-PXG- said:
Getting Japanese version this weekend for $30. I can't wait for next year....But I still need a proper to control to play this game with
Get PS2 -> GCN converters and some Sanwa PS2 Hori Real Arcade Pros.
Cube Joybox converter works well.

Sadist

ShockingAlberto said:
Godhand did worse on PS2 than Madworld did on Wii.

PS2 is a terrible place for games.
I use this argument in a other discussions and in one of those they said I'm crazy. They reasoned that with not so many hardcore games coiming to Wii, Wii owners should be all over games like MadWorld and the other titles whice are frequently mentioned. And why compare the Wii to PS2? It had actually games acording to these goons. Afterwards they said the following: "Well, you could compare the two, because both sell minigames and kidsgames".

Yeah, salesage is a weird place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom