• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomba - Wii U Basic with Nintendoland for $300 at Best Buy

I'm not so sure the basic is the problem. I was just at a best buy and it's all deluxe.

Yep, also every online retailor has them in stock as does most every store I've walked through; bestbuy, gamestop, walmart, target. Bottom line if you are in the states they aren't hard to get. So, either sales are an issue across models, or nintendo has a really great supply chain.

Kunan

Nintendo should try shipping units to Canada. It is consistently sold out here in the few cities I've been to (Montreal, Ottawa, small towns like pembroke), and apparently overflowing in the US. Some shifting around of stock would be nice. From everyone's comments after launch, it feels like the stock is misappropriated in too many/too few numbers everywhere.

BD1

Banned
Nintendo hasn't done jack to generate any buzz on Wii U, so that's problem number one.

But they should also drop the price of the basic model to $250 and offer early adopters a $50 eShop credit. Like many have said, the value prop for the two models is way to similar.

fernoca

Meh...
Not much of a bomba, since you're still paying MSRP for the basic unit.
If anything, the "bomba" is the standalone Nintendoland, as is the game been given "for free" with the purchase. (Like how Gamestop has been giving out Steel Diver for like 6 months...and more recently Steel Diver AND Nintendogs with purchases of any 3DS).

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
glossy grey or matte grey?

Glossy, like those classic Aston Martin cars...

062412-tech-cars-astonmartin-oliver-3-ss-662w-at-1x.jpg

We've seen white and black regular Wiis, but never in gray or silver... so it might have helped differentiate the new console from the old.

I'd be tempted if this was at Gamestop where I have some credit. I have New Super Mario Bros U from a girl at work who was at Old Navy on Black Friday.

New system, plus the two free games seems tempting to me. I prefer white over the black also.

What happens if I get it and return the system, can I keep the game?

Somnid

Had two giant pyramids of both basic and deluxe at my local best buy all week.

I don't doubt it. It'd be interesting if you were a little more specific though. Were they exactly equal? How much do you think they sold over the period you observed? Would you doubt that the Basic sells less than the Deluxe given what you saw?

Celine

Many flash games are more complex than most Arcade titles ever where - there's a reason Aracde cabinets died out (availability of better games that are more easily accessed)
arcade cabinets died out in the late '90 when console catch up more or less with the arcade hardware powerwise.
Obviously consumers prefered to pay just one time and play those games at home.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
His experience is certainly as valid as what some random YouTube person thinks. Who cares if someone's feelings are hurt because I and other people don't think the game he spent an extreme amount of time mastering is much good?

Nintendo Land just isn't anything I am able to play repeatedly, it gets tiring even in group sessions due to the simplistic nature of the games and is pretty much worthless playing alone.

Many flash games are more complex than most Arcade titles ever where - there's a reason Aracde cabinets died out (availability of better games that are more easily accessed)

I never said his experience was less valid, but at a different level. I meant by this that he has not experienced the depth that each game in Nintendo Land offers. I was critiquing his stance that the game was a "mildly entertaining diversion." It might be a diversion when someone only plays a couple multiplayer sessions, as he said he did. However, my experience is of a greater level - meaning I have spent a lot more time with the game - and I can state that it is my opinion that the title is more than a "mildly entertaining diversion," and is instead a game full of depth waiting to be explored.

If your opinion counters that, then ok, that's great.

I think it's fantastic if some people out there really like the games in Nintendo Land. Honestly, it's super. However, I'm not sure if pointing towards the existence of people looking to master a game is in and of itself any sort of an indicator of a game's quality. I'm not suggesting that it means nothing. However, I don't know if I necessarily agree with your point.

As a for instance -- and let me preface this by saying that I'm not suggesting that Nintendo Land is this shallow -- I once wasted an entire day trying to master some simple Flash Putt Putt game striving for the perfect 18. After hours, I had gotten to the point where I could hole-in-one every hole but 2 with ease. A couple of hours later, I knew what I had to do for those two other tricky holes. And finally, after about 8 hours, I did it! The perfect 18!

That story indicates that I had some fun with the game, and that there was definitely some skill involved in mastering it and memorizing the power/trajectory in shot-making. But I don't necessarily think it undermines anybody who doesn't think that there's a lot of meat there. And I think that's how I feel about Nintendo Land.

The existence of a neverending battle for the Donkey Kong high score doesn't have me convinced that it's a great, deep game to this day deserving of countless hours of practice to become the next Billy Mitchell or Steve Wiebbe or whoever has the record. As such, if something like that released today, I wouldn't be convinced that it was a great game.

The fact that you have never played any of the single player experiences in Nintendo Land (as you stated) doesn't demonstrate your point well, as you would have no idea about the quality of the single player games in Nintendo Land.

I do not wish to discredit your opinion, but rather demonstrate that your comparison is of little value to determining the quality of a game like Nintendo Land.

For me, the quality in Nintendo Land is in its package. Your arguments are based on reductionism and it doesn't account for the entirety of the package. I suggest you spend time playing Nintendo Land before (1) comparing it to a flash game, and (2) dismissing it as a lesser game. Your opinions are noted.

It is fallacious to assume that the amount of time played is a relevant statistic past a certain point. This is partly due to the fact that consistency of the experience from new players to experienced players IS relevant to the subjective analysis of a game, but it's mostly due to the fact that there is an obvious selection bias when considering only the players who have played the game extensively: If a review considered only those who have played the game dozens of hours, every game would get glowing (or nonsensically technical) reviews, as nobody would stick with a game that they didn't like for any longer than they had to.

For a game like Nintendoland, the point in time at which experience stops mattering is roughly a function of its learning curve, which is to say that your opinion is unlikely to evolve after the first couple of hours of playing the game.

As for its price point, a party game -- no matter how good -- is still a party game, and Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot by not packaging it with the console where it can be used as a marketing tool.

First, perhaps it would be fallacious if he did actually play the game. However, he has not played the game he is arguing about (DK).

Second, I don't think every game would get glowing reviews if reviewers spent a lot of time with the games. However, the fact that Nintendo Land has mostly positive reviews is revealing.

Third, the point in time at which experience stops mattering in Nintendo Land is NOT at the point in which one "learns" how to play the games. There are a lot of hidden techniques in the titles and things to discover that go beyond merely learning the game. This, for me, is demonstrative of the package's quality.

Finally, the game is not just a party game for me. I have spent many hours playing it on my own. Whether you decide to reduce that experience or not, I don't think you can reasonably say that Nintendo Land is just a party game when half of its games are single-player only.

Also, I agree with your final point that Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot for not packaging it with every console.

Wow at that video.

Yes, it is quite incredible.

netBuff

Apparently the PS3 on the next pallet didn't happen to just get restocked moments before this picture was take. What a surprise!

Feel bad for the folks that bought this console at launch. It will see some major slashes in price next year when the 720 launches. Doesn't seem to have that much enthusiasm at all right now. I guess with the holiday sales, but I suspect they will be very disappointing.

I never said his experience was less valid, but at a different level. I meant by this that he has not experienced the depth that each game in Nintendo Land offers. I was critiquing his stance that the game was a "mildly entertaining diversion." It might be a diversion when someone only plays a couple multiplayer sessions, as he said he did. However, my experience is of a greater level - meaning I have spent a lot more time with the game - and I can state that it is my opinion that the title is more than a "mildly entertaining diversion," and is instead a game full of depth waiting to be explored.

If your opinion counters that, then ok, that's great.

It's also worth noting that the post I was originally responding to noted how amazingly fun the game was to play in groups. My own opinion -- having played all of the multiplayer games over the course of a couple of sessions -- did not match that poster's. Of course, I noted that different people like different things. However, I'll stand by my assertion that it was a mildly entertaining diversion that I would be content to never play again, though I certainly wouldn't refuse if that's what people wanted to play.

As for the single player games, maybe there's more there. I did dabble with Donkey Kong over the course of five minutes, and it seemed neat. Maybe given more time, I'd be hooked. But as it stands, I still don't really agree with the premise that "arcade gameplay from yesteryear that has some hooked must mean that your argument that the games are simple and lack the depth of full-fledged products is invalid!" Of course, I'm not heavily invested in this particular argument.

I'm wrong. You're right. Nintendo Land is fantastic, and I have shamed my family by suggesting that it's a party game that lacks substance and depth.

arcade cabinets died out in the late '90 when console catch up more or less with the arcade hardware powerwise.
Obviously consumers prefered to pay just one time and play those games at home.

The '90s were also when arcade machines jumped 100% in price. Especially towards the end of the decade, most games required two quarters instead of one for a single play. That's the biggest reason why I stopped.

BD1

Banned
Since they'll likely be much more powerful with extra things like blu ray capability, I think around the price you cited will be easier to swallow.

For the mass market? I don't know. You can get an iPad and AppleTV for less than that.

Outside of AAA console games, what will those systems offer that can attract buyers at $450?

And how attractive are AAA console games to the average gamer these days? Attractive enough to spend $450?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Since they'll likely be much more powerful with extra things like blu ray capability, I think around the price you cited will be easier to swallow.

450 for a gaming console will not do well in this market. . Microsoft and Sony need to find a way to get to 350 to have a successful launch IMO.

JCizzle

For the mass market? I don't know. You can get an iPad and AppleTV for less than that.

Since these aren't portable, I'm not sure I follow your iPad point (for a whopping $50 less for a 2 year old version). Furthermore, no halo, assassins creed, uncharted, blu ray etc on Apple TV. I don't think consumers will confuse the two like what might happen with handhelds.

Duxxy3

We don't. Maybe the lazy ones do. Really it was a risk-free bet so it's not a big deal. Took a total of maybe 45 mins of my time to buy from the store and then return later.

My scalper friend didn't lose much of anything. Just returned most of what she bought.

Only loser on that deal is the store and nintendo.

sp3000

450 for a gaming console will not do well in this market. . Microsoft and Sony need to find a way to get to 350 to have a successful launch IMO.

This is why you are not a market analyst. If we listened to NeoGAF, then COD should have never been a successful series.

As soon as a next gen Call of Duty comes out it's going to be tremendously in demand, and the new consoles will be also.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is why you are not a market analyst.

As soon as a next gen Call of Duty comes out it's going to be tremendously in demand.

Ok. If Activision releases a true next gen CoD next year and ignores the PS360 username then yes, I can see them doing well at launch.

Top Bottom