• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament Bots are more human than human players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artificially intelligent game bots pass the Turing test on Turing's centenary

AUSTIN, Texas — An artificially intelligent virtual gamer created by computer scientists at The University of Texas at Austin has won the BotPrize by convincing a panel of judges that it was more human-like than half the humans it competed against.

The competition was sponsored by 2K Games and was set inside the virtual world of "Unreal Tournament 2004," a first-person shooter video game. The winners were announced this month at the IEEE Conference on Computational Intelligence and Games.

"The idea is to evaluate how we can make game bots, which are nonplayer characters (NPCs) controlled by AI algorithms, appear as human as possible," said Risto Miikkulainen, professor of computer science in the College of Natural Sciences. Miikkulainen created the bot, called the UT^2 game bot, with doctoral students Jacob Schrum and Igor Karpov.

The bots face off in a tournament against one another and about an equal number of humans, with each player trying to score points by eliminating its opponents. Each player also has a "judging gun" in addition to its usual complement of weapons. That gun is used to tag opponents as human or bot.

The bot that is scored as most human-like by the human judges is named the winner. UT^2, which won a warm-up competition last month, shared the honors with MirrorBot, which was programmed by Romanian computer scientist Mihai Polceanu.

The winning bots both achieved a humanness rating of 52 percent. Human players received an average humanness rating of only 40 percent.
The two winning teams will split the $7,000 first prize.

Turing would be proud!

215186837_A5WVR-L-2.jpg

Truth be told Unreal Tournament had some pretty awesome bots for its time.

How does UT's clientèle rank in terms of classiness compared to other shooters?

I loaded up UT 99 a few months, and went into a facing worlds server, pretty much like above, (mostly just 1 guy with people egging him on though).

TF2 has one of the best communities I've seen, but thats not saying much.

ultron87

Really this just tells us that people are bad at identifying human players in UT. Because if they can only correctly recognize a human player 40 percent of the time the metric they are using to judge isn't particularly good.

Truth be told Unreal Tournament had some pretty awesome bots for its time.

I loaded up UT 99 a few months, and went into a facing worlds server, pretty much like above, (mostly just 1 guy with people egging him on though).

TF2 has one of the best communities I've seen, but thats not saying much.

To be clear, these weren't the bots native to UT, but rather programmed for the purpose of this contest by various contestants.

Clydefrog

I remember I had bots in CS 1.6 that you could give speaking lines to. For instance, when you kill them, they say "Nice shot, Clydefrog!" or "BAN THAT FUCKING CLYDEFROG GUY HE FUCKING CHEATS"

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I remember I had bots in CS 1.6 that you could give speaking lines to. For instance, when you kill them, they say "Nice shot, Clydefrog!" or "BAN THAT FUCKING CLYDEFROG GUY HE FUCKING CHEATS"

They were in Quake III too. And had hilarious personalities

Switters

It's funny how there hasn't been good bots in an FPS since. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The bots in TF2 are horrible...

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
If only Valve would apply improved bots to CS:GO. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom