• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei SYNCHRONICITY PROLOGUE released (free PC 2D platformer)

gngf123

If Atlus intended for this to be a sign of things to come, they wouldn't have put it out in Japanese only and as a download on their own site.

Yet, as a promotion alone this is so strange.

Oh well, I'll be playing this as soon as I can.

True Fire

Is this a demo, or like a complete product?

It looks cool, but I might wait for it to get a real production before I try it.

If Atlus intended for this to be a sign of things to come, they wouldn't have put it out in Japanese only and as a download on their own site.

It's their way of distributing Devil Summoning Program Dot Exe.

Opa-Pa

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that they're testing the waters to see if there's interest for the project Krobon most likely pitched. It's too elaborate to just be a random freebie and it's too far removed from anything resembling SJ sans music to really be related, it feels more like they're simply using the upcoming release as an excuse to try this out.

And then there's the PROLOGUE thingie. Surely this isn't a prologue to SJ, right?

But stranger things have happened, so who knows.

Syril

I figure it's because you're playing as the jack bros 'in sync', but it's a japanese game title. It could mean anything.
The opening scene seems to be a user sending their consciousness into the Jack Frost, and it says SYNCHRONIZE on screen before Frost wakes up.

Eolz

The game is fantastic.
Hope that some people will localize the dialogue because it seems pretty fun there, just like Pharaoh Rebirth was (really recommend it, buy it people).

Not much more to say really, outside of how it should a bigger, more complete game on more platforms.

it''s actually the prologue of SMT HD and at October 23 we'll get a real trailer.... yeah let me dream a little bit!

HYPE.

SMT-HD-Oct-23-Tease_09-23-17.jpg

kubev

Hoping for an official English translation, but it'd be nice if there was at least a fan-made translation patch at some point. I've played for a bit, and I've been able to figure things out as I go with respect to abilities and controls, but I hope there's nothing overly obscure that the lack of an English translation will be an issue from a game play perspective.

Steel

Banned

Could be they were planning on this being a full game release, but then cancelled half-way through and threw the assets into this.

Viale

Finished it(took around 3 hours for me). Game was actually awesome. The switching between the Jack brothers is used in some pretty great ways especially during the boss fights. Would definitely buy and play again if localized and released for 3ds/switch/vita.

How hard would it be to extract the text and translate this? Just curious.

I'm going to guess not too hard since I saw a machine translated version already on YouTube. Though it's a machine translation so it's awful but I'm guessing at least the text isn't too hard to get to.

cj_iwakura

This has a LOT more dialogue than I was expecting, but it's incredible so far.

Does it warrant an OT?

LOL, the text was dumped as we speak.

Opa-Pa

Finally got to start this.

Jesus Christ this is gorgeous, and the music... Never thought I'd get to hear Castlevania-like renditions of my favorite SMT soundtrack in an official product, this is crazy.

Zeroro

Finished it and loved it. I'm not crazy about Metroidvanias or whatever, but I'd absolutely buy a more fleshed out/fully-featured version of this. It helps that you're playing as an adorable mascot character.

Hylian7

I'm really loving this and want to see more stuff like it. I love how they integrated SMT mechanics into this, with switching Jacks for weaknesses, and resistances. The Bifrons fight is particularly cool because you're supposed to switch to Pyro Jack for the fire stuff, and Jack Frost to actually damage him. It kind of reminds me of Ikaruga too.

Opa-Pa

Holy hell, you can become D
emoneeho
. Game of the forever.

I'm really loving this and want to see more stuff like it. I love how they integrated SMT mechanics into this, with switching Jacks for weaknesses, and resistances. The Bifrons fight is particularly cool because you're supposed to switch to Pyro Jack for the fire stuff, and Jack Frost to actually damage him. It kind of reminds me of Ikaruga too.

A boss later on takes this to a whole new level and I had so much fun. It's really impressive how polished this is, I expected something good but janky, but this could pass for a $10 digital only game easily.

Edit: And done! Took me 2 hours and a bit more. What a great little game... I hope they made a new commercial one next, I'd pay so much money for something like this on Switch.

Frost_Ace

Holy hell, you can become D
emoneeho
. Game of the forever.

A boss later on takes this to a whole new level and I had so much fun. It's really impressive how polished this is, I expected something good but janky, but this could pass for a $10 digital only game easily.

Edit: And done! Took me 2 hours and a bit more. What a great little game... I hope they made a new commercial one next, I'd pay so much money for something like this on Switch.

OMG. Is there an animated sprite of your avatar?

Hylian7

So I have to wonder if some of the context was all lost on those of us that can't read Japanese.

The SJR trailer that had the footage of this game in it, I feel like the "joke" was that they were showing footage of the anime intro stuff from SJR, and then going "Here's the gameplay" and it was this game. Then they were like "just kidding, it's not actually SJR", but didn't say it was a fake game.

Then it got released as a real game. I really really hope the "prologue" means that it's a prologue for more of this game coming, but I doubt it because of the fact that it was made to promote Strange Journey Redux, has all the levels themed after Strange Journey, and the music. I think the "prologue" bit really means it's just a prologue to Strange Journey Redux. It would make sense given in the trailer they showed it on at first, it had a silly comic sans esque Strange Journey logo before it showed the stamp saying it was a joke.

Now granted, it's still entirely possible Atlus could see the overwhelmingly positive fan reception and hire the developer to make a full retail/eShop game of this. I don't know if they see what the English audience thinks of these things, but I'm curious what the reception of this is in Japan.

Just completed the game, but I only filled out 91% of the map. Short and sweet, it's quite cool to see SMT designs translated to a metroidvania, and it's got some good ideas. I was very impressed by the idea of
Girimehkala having a counter move.

It's a crime this is just a free short game. It's actually good and has some interesting ideas. I can feel some love in this, and I want more of this rather than an up-port of Strange Journey.

Top Bottom