• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flame in the Flood has its best debut on Switch - "Smashed expectations"

Lima

Great now how about going back to fixing the Xbox Version to fix bugs and the broken achievements 🤔

It’s an excuse because there’s already a heavily crowded indie market on a still tiny userbase. There’s going to be many more games in the future yes but there’ll also be many more people to sell them to.

The idea that an inherent lack of competition pushed games to record sales made some sense at launch and even through spring and summer where new releases at all were still something of an event. But now, when we have up to 19 games releasing in a single week, it just doesn’t.

It’s a clear variation, it’s the same core argument only shifting the goalposts from “no games” to “not many games”. And it’s just as trollish and superficial really.

I pointed out releases like Bomberman, SF2 and Neo Geo games because they tend to more directly align with the same audience as indie games do (retro or retro inspired, classic design, gameplay focused, sub $59.99 pricepoints). And those games are also breaking sales targets and records too. They just add to the competition (as do Nintendo themselves) and Switch is already an indie red ocean, it’s just one where everyone’s eating.

A lack of AAA 3rd party games doesn’t mean an inherent lack of competition. Especially when the amount if games targeting the same audience is so dense on such a tiny userbase.

So, saying release schedule on Switch is smaller than other platforms is trollish ?
Check on Metacritic for the latest reviewed games. Switch LTD is sitting at 76 games listed vs 95 games on PS4 for the last 90 days. Saying that a new platform is getting less releases isn't trollish. It's basically a fact.

Do I also really have to explain that Switch schedule is a lot slower than Steam release schedule ?

MisterR

So if A doesn't necessarily apply to B, then why do you act like B applies to A? You can't have it apply only when you want it to support your own argument. At some point there will be many more titles and discovery will potentially be an issue and there will be a point in time when not every release will be a smashing success. That goes without saying, because any platform has that, so why does it matter for you to come into a thread and spout that off when we're seven months into the release of a new product and many indie developers/publishers are finding success?

So you agree with his point, but just think he shouldn't come into the thread and point it out?

nick_b

This thread has too much arguing and not enough telling me if this is a good port going on. I read through all 4 previous pages. Disappointing thread.

JonnyKong

Whilst this is obviously great news for the devs and the Switch, reading stories like this makes me sad in the sense that they make me realise so many indies that I love dearly, must barely be selling :( I know indies are niche titles, but I didn't think sales would be that low for them.

I hope Night in the Woods and Edith Finch come to the Switch because more people need to appreciate how great those games are.

Phoenixus

As a multiplatform owner and someone who plays Switch almost exclusively on the television, I'll tell you why I buy every indie on Switch.

Sleep mode.

PS4 and XB1 have sleep modes and they're great. You're usually back into a game within 30 seconds or less. Edit - (This isn't entirely accurate, as I've since found out. It's more like 15 seconds or so on PS4 if you directly power down your system from the game itself, without exiting to the home menu first.) But due to Switch's hybrid nature, sleep mode has to be near instant or it loses its portable appeal. Because of this, I'm back into my game within 5-10 seconds. This is pretty huge for me. It makes playing for 5-10 minutes at a time effortless and I've finished many games on this system because of it. I enjoy long gaming sessions, but most of the time it's easier for me to just play for a few minutes at a time.

Most indies are perfect for bit-sized play and Switch is such a great fit for these games, even if you use the system mainly as a home console. If you use the device as a portable (or both), it's an absolute no-brainer.

Adding onto this (apologies to anyone if they've already mentioned this, just skipped to the end of the thread), sleep mode in docked is a strong positive, purely because of the onboard battery. I hate leaving power on in my home when I'm not there so I never leave my PS4 in sleep mode. With the switch I don't have to worry about that, and it's provided a whole new level of convenience I never thought I'd appreciate so much.
If there's a multiformat game out I'm 99% aiming for the Switch version, for this reason and portability.

Nah, it's not 10 seconds at most.

As someone who uses the resume function on XB1, PS4, and Switch religiously, it's a pretty big difference. I'm back into a Switch game within five seconds of booting up the machine, almost every time. With PS4 it's closer to 20-25 seconds. XB1 is around the same, if not a bit longer.

Now, if these extra seconds seem meaningless to you, that's perfectly fine. I'm simply giving my own experience on how I consume video game content and Switch's snappy sleep mode has made a large difference in how I play games. When it only takes 5 seconds or so to wake up a system, short 5-10 minute play sessions are very easy to justify. That's an entire Picross S puzzle for me in many cases.
In addition to what you said, you can start the system as a console, grab the system on the go, start playing it as a handheld, put it back in the dock, then resume playing as a console in less than a minute. The snappiness of the Switch and its OS is a big deal for making time to play games IMO.

NateDrake

This thread has too much arguing and not enough telling me if this is a good port going on. I read through all 4 previous pages. Disappointing thread.

If you enjoy scavenge, survival, and exploration games then you'll enjoy Flame in the Flood.

hank_tree

In addition to what you said, you can start the system as a console, grab the system on the go, start playing it as a handheld, put it back in the dock, then resume playing as a console in less than a minute.

Yes, we all know how the Switch works thanks. We’ve seen the ads.

OryoN

This game looks very intriguing and had been on my radar ever since seeing the trailer. I need to see a bit more gameplay b4 I purchase though. Any decent previews out yet?

Also, these "because-there's-nothing-else-to-play-on-Switch" games are becoming too many to keep track of. This fall is packed with Switch games - not titled 'Mario Odyssey' - that I'm expecting to buy, but damn it, I don't have a money tree in my backyard. Heck, I don't even have a backyard!

With all these game releases and a not-so-good eShop, I feel like the Switch will soon become like the AppStore. Overwhelmed with too many releases with no way to check out good or new stuff.

Me personally: I’m starting to get overwhelmed with all these releases and don’t like to build up a huge backlog.

Listonosh

Nintendo's not letting every dev do it, not even every established indie dev. Cosmic Star Heroine for example.

Do we know why? It not being on the switch is literally the only thing keeping me from buying it. I tend to play like that in short bursts and preferably on portables so I just don't see myself playing it on my PS4.

Fiendcode

So, saying release schedule on Switch is smaller than other platforms is trollish ?
Check on Metacritic for the latest reviewed games. Switch LTD is sitting at 76 games listed vs 95 games on PS4 for the last 90 days. Saying that a new platform is getting less releases isn't trollish. It's basically a fact.

Do I also really have to explain that Switch schedule is a lot slower than Steam release schedule ?
76 releases vs 95 releases. 6 million vs 60 million userbase. Should I also point out the size of Steam’s userbase?

The fact remains indie games are overperforming on Switch to such a degree that simply saying it’s driven by lack of competition doesn’t logically reconcile when you consider the size of the userbase and amount of games actually releasing. That’s not The Reason here, it’s arguably not even a driving factor anymore as we’re already knee deep in the indie goldrush. You need to look deeper.

Nosgotham

out of the ten games releasing this week on eShop, this was my most anticipated. will buy tomorrow. but im so hooked on stardew valley who knows when ill play it lol

Drek

The Switch is a really well positioned device. While the Wii saw a lot of hardware and a solid but sub-Nintendo die ratio due to a lack of the video game enthusiast market taking it seriously the Switch is finding success in almost the exact opposite way.

Sony found a way to squeeze some market viability out of the Vita well beyond it's anticipated life as the small userbase was full of highly engaged customers who were interested in a broad spectrum of games. From all accounts I've heard it ran at an anomalously high software attach rate which, while obviously not nearly enough to save it, made it viable far longer than a system with so few units ever should have been (see the Wii U for that example).

The Switch effectively serves that same high engagement level customer base simultaneously with the longest running high tie ratio driver, Nintendo first party software. It's a match made in heaven and Switch software sales are proving it out. When has there ever been a game, even at launch, that sold at a 1:1 tie ratio? BotW sold at better than that on Switch (i.e. people bought BotW for when they'd eventually own a Switch at a higher ratio than people buying a Switch and not buying BotW to play on it).

This momentum will likely require work to sustain. Nintendo is going to need to adopt at least a 3rd party sales and marketing system not dissimilar from what Sony did on Vita and MS did with XBLA. Don't be afraid of sales, market those sales, present the "value" proposition.

Non-proprietary memory coupled with it's hybrid form factor and the assurance of first party software has the Switch positioned to be insanely profitable at 50-60M units sold, which I'd argue is the lifetime floor unless Nintendo completely drops the ball in the next year or two. If they get anywhere close to 100M in a 7 year primary product window it might become the single most profitable system in Nintendo's history.

the issue for CSH was timing and dev kits. I am pretty sure Zeboyd has been in contact with Nintendo and has a dev kit.

The no new stuff thing is long gone. Nintendo just gave early dev kits to folks who got in touch with them early and generally had new thinngs to offer.

'Policies' can change in the matter of days/weeks so if anyone is quoting old things definitely look it up and see if they're right.

In both of these instances Nintendo changed in a matter of weeks from the original news.

I'm still rather skeptical until I see Nintendo back it up with some real world proof.

Nintendo has a long history of being the most stringent first party with development tools and is clearly still curating the Switch library far more than any other first party/game distribution service.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing mind you. Nintendo has come a long ways from even the Wii U/3DS era which itself was a big improvement from their entire history before, but all their actions indicate that they still bottleneck smaller developers through more of a vetting process than any one else. Maybe there is some need for that. Steam is a mess without it, XBL and PSN have a good amount of trash to wade through as well (especially the non-game avatar/wallpaper/etc. knickknackery bullshit). But I wouldn't expect even every demonstrably quality indie project to make it through their filter, and even more won't do so in a timely fashion compared to other platforms. That's the price of curation.

Nah you can’t get bigger than Fifa in term of 3rd party support.

1. From most reports I've read EA is contractually obligated to put FIFA on pretty much any platform that meets a pretty low viability threshold as part of FIFA's branding desires.

2. I'd bet that the audience for FIFA and he audience for the Switch is composed of has less intersection than basically any other major games platform.

Tangeroo

As a port, it's solid but not spectacular (only played it on portable mode so far). Visuals are fairly close to PC version but not as sharp and definitely not as smooth. For the most part, frame-rate appears to be 30+ in most sections, but dips below that in certain high traffic sections of the river. The controls are solid with no input delay but I don't think there's any rumble at all which is weird. I loved the PC version and I love being able to play it on the go. It's definitely worth the buy at $15, but the port could use a bit more polish. Definitely a better port than Overcooked.

bon

Simple graphics means little to no performance difference from other platforms, plus you can play in handheld mode. It's almost a no-brainer to buy the Switch version of indie games.

The Switch is a really well positioned device. While the Wii saw a lot of hardware and a solid but sub-Nintendo die ratio due to a lack of the video game enthusiast market taking it seriously the Switch is finding success in almost the exact opposite way.

The tie ratio was over 9... that's about as good as any platform has ever had.

I'm still rather skeptical until I see Nintendo back it up with some real world proof.

Nintendo has a long history of being the most stringent first party with development tools and is clearly still curating the Switch library far more than any other first party/game distribution service.

I mean, we have definitive proof that the "no straight ports" policy is either gone or never existed in that... there are straight ports on the platform. And the curation argument goes out the window when you see a game like Vroom in the Night Sky.

KonradLaw

Like what has happened on Steam...?
Steam has a lot bigger userbase and it's been slowly ramping up the number of games released each year, while that userbase grew.
It's simple mathetmatics. There countless indie games released every year on PC, consoles and mobile. Switch's userbase is miniscule for now. It wouldn't be able to survive a complete flood of titles. We're talking like 10K games a year or more. 99,9% wouldn't make money back. Not to mention all the success stories so far have been extremely console-friendly titles. It's not likely that lot of typically PC exclusive indies would do well on that platform.

As Switch userbase will grow so will the number or releases. But suggesting that everyone should just release their games now on such small platform is completely insane idea.

Steam has a lot bigger userbase and it's been slowly ramping up the number of games released each year, while that userbase grew.
It's simple mathetmatics. There countless indie games released every year on PC, consoles and mobile. Switch's userbase is miniscule for now. It wouldn't be able to survive a complete flood of titles. We're talking like 10K games a year or more. 99,9% wouldn't make money back. Not to mention all the success stories so far have been extremely console-friendly titles. It's not likely that lot of typically PC exclusive indies would do well on that platform.

As Switch userbase will grow so will the number or releases. But suggesting that everyone should just release their games now on such small platform is completely insane idea.

Oh, you're saying releasing like 50,000 games right this second would be insane, of course I agree with that. I thought the poster you responded to was basically saying that all multiplatform indie games coming in the future should also come to Switch. Which I think is far less insane because the install base will grow over time as new games arrive.

But yeah, having a sudden influx of tens of thousands of games while the userbase is still around 8 million is absurd, no disagreement there.

The Wii didnt sell software fallacy will never die it seems.

The biggest problem is that people seem to ignore it when they're corrected and continue to spout it elsewhere. The fact that it's such easily accessible information also makes the fallacy annoying.

I'm sure its been mentioned before, but the Switch had a small library of games. The Flame and the Flood was one of eleven games to hit the eShop that week for the Switch, last week had ten, the previous seventeen. Can it be said that the system is still starving for games when you're well over forty games being released on the platform in a month?

Realeza

Banned
I'm sure its been mentioned before, but the Switch had a small library of games. The Flame and the Flood was one of eleven games to hit the eShop that week for the Switch, last week had ten, the previous seventeen. Can it be said that the system is still starving for games when you're well over forty games being released on the platform in a month?

It's a meme, so if you see someone saying it seriously, you laugh at them.

Neiteio

It's a pretty cool game. Glad to see it finding success on Switch.

the-flame-in-the-flood-scout_camp_a-940x528.png

Flame-Flood-February-24.jpg
Wow, those are the in-game graphics? What's this game about? How does it play?

Also, uh, how's the icon?

Drek

The tie ratio was over 9... that's about as good as any platform has ever had.
It had a great peak in it's early years on the motion control hook, but had no legs. You think it had an optimal for Nintendo tie ratio when Skyward Sword sold about 3/4ths of Twilight princess despite being on the >100M sold platform?

I mean, we have definitive proof that the "no straight ports" policy is either gone or never existed in that... there are straight ports on the platform. And the curation argument goes out the window when you see a game like Vroom in the Night Sky.
I'm not talking about a no straight ports policy, I'm talking about Nintendo simply providing enough kits, enough development support, and responsive certification to get games they haven't decided to put center stage with "Nindies" still out on the platform.

I'm sure they're better than they were at launch, but until the established indie developers are consistently hitting the system (as there isn't really any other good reason not to) I think it's reasonable to have skepticism as to how invested in supporting those developers Nintendo really is.

Also, curation isn't a guarantee of quality, it's bottle-necking in an attempt to pick quality, but often gets led astray by a variety of other factors. That's the entire problem people have with it, it often ends up locking out better software than what gets released because the people making the better software just didn't happen to have the same networking connections or contact the curator in just the right window/fashion.

Coricus

I keep thinking it over every time the word "starved" comes out and I'm starting to think that people might just be solely referring to there being not enough AAA games to overshadow them at this point. Or at least it's the only thing I can guess giving any benefit of the doubt.

The word "starved" seems to have the connotation that there isn't actually any kind of competition and that the games selling are mediocre or bad titles that only sell by virtue of there being absolutely and literally nothing else available, but the Eshop is coated in titles that I never see discussed and it's pretty clear that the cream is rising to the top as far as what's selling. If people didn't want the games they simply wouldn't buy them. The Switch makes games look great and major companies are leaving some extra cash in people's pockets not capitalizing on bringing games to a system that's enticing to use, but indies have to actually earn it amidst a sea of their own brethren past that.

Most of the big games I'm seeing -Stardew Valley, Golf Story, Axiom Verge- they're selling from word of mouth. A LOT of word of mouth. It's not just their existing, Switch owners are good at letting each other know what the best picks are in the shop. Looking up The Flame in The Flood on r/NintendoSwitch there were several topics on it over the past week, posting trailers, discussing release dates, all with at least a perceptible amount of interest. People pick this stuff up to a degree because other people tip them off on it.

It had a great peak in it's early years on the motion control hook, but had no legs. You think it had an optimal for Nintendo tie ratio when Skyward Sword is one of the lowest selling Zeldas despite being on a >100M sold platform?

No, it ended with that tie ratio, which is really very solid among all game consoles. It's not like it started high and gradually declined. What does Zelda even have to do with it? Do you actually know what a tie ratio is?

ryushe

Played about three hours, docked and undocked, and it runs flawlessly from what I can tell.

The only issue I have so far is the text undocked is pretty small. I wish it did the Stardew thing and adjusted the UI depending on what mode you're in.

And the curation argument goes out the window when you see a game like Vroom in the Night Sky.

I don't think the curation argument goes out the window because of this game. The developer, Poisoft, created Kersploosh! for Nintendo on 3DS. An exception was likely made due to the close ties between the two companies.

That being said, this really is all speculation. All that we really know for certain is that Nintendo prioritized dev kits early on.

It had a great peak in it's early years on the motion control hook, but had no legs. You think it had an optimal for Nintendo tie ratio when Skyward Sword sold about 3/4ths of Twilight princess despite being on the >100M sold platform?

I think that says more about Skyward Sword's mass appeal than it does about the Wii's software tie ratio. I mean, it may be possible that they sold less software in the later years than the early years, I don't have that data in front of me. But speaking purely of the tie ratio, it was very high. Especially for Nintendo games, if that's what you're arguing.

I mean, I think we're currently at 38 million copies of Mario Kart Wii sold.

I'm not talking about a no straight ports policy, I'm talking about Nintendo simply providing enough kits, enough development support, and responsive certification to get games they haven't decided to put center stage with "Nindies" still out on the platform.

I'm sure they're better than they were at launch, but until the established indie developers are consistently hitting the system (as there isn't really any other good reason not to) I think it's reasonable to have skepticism as to how invested in supporting those developers Nintendo really is.

Also, curation isn't a guarantee of quality, it's bottle-necking in an attempt to pick quality, but often gets led astray by a variety of other factors. That's the entire problem people have with it, it often ends up locking out better software than what gets released because the people making the better software just didn't happen to have the same networking connections or contact the curator in just the right window/fashion.

I wasn't sure if you were referring to the no-straight-port policy so that's why I worded it like that. I do definitely agree that they were being selective about which companies they'd talk to, but I guess in my mind I don't really consider that "curation", and I may be wrong there.

I don't think the curation argument goes out the window because of this game. The developer, Poisoft, created Kersploosh! for Nintendo on 3DS. An exception was likely made due to the close ties between the two companies.

That being said, this really is all speculation. All that we really know for certain is that Nintendo prioritized dev kits early on.

Yeah "out the window" might be a bit much, true. And again, I don't think of things like lack of dev kits and prioritizing some developers while resources are scarce to really be "curation", but I might be wrong in that. I would think "curation" refers to actively selecting games that are presented for the platform and choosing some while denying others.

And I seriously doubt Vroom in the Night Sky successfully went through such a process.

76 releases vs 95 releases. 6 million vs 60 million userbase. Should I also point out the size of Steam’s userbase?

The fact remains indie games are overperforming on Switch to such a degree that simply saying it’s driven by lack of competition doesn’t logically reconcile when you consider the size of the userbase and amount of games actually releasing. That’s not The Reason here, it’s arguably not even a driving factor anymore as we’re already knee deep in the indie goldrush. You need to look deeper.

76 releases LTD vs 95 releases for the last 90 days.
Yes, you can point userbase. This isn't my point. My point is that there's a lot more releases on PS4/PC (which you claim is wrong or saying it's trollish) on a weekly/monthly basis compared to Switch. More releases means more competition.
If you think you're in the indie goldrush right now, you might want to think more.

Yeah "out the window" might be a bit much, true. And again, I don't think of things like lack of dev kits and prioritizing some developers while resources are scarce to really be "curation", but I might be wrong in that. I would think "curation" refers to actively selecting games that are presented for the platform and choosing some while denying others.

And I seriously doubt Vroom in the Night Sky successfully went through such a process.

No, it almost certainly did not lol. A least I hope not!

I do think the western branches of Nintendo (NoA in particular) likely curated a selection of indies early on though and had a large hand on when each game would launch. The pacing of eShop releases during the launch window felt very deliberate. I honestly don't have all that much to back this up though, so I'll just call it speculation. My guess is those branches had little say in something like Vroom in the Night Sky making its way to the eShop at launch. Seems like an NCL decision to me, alongside the Hamster Neo Geo Arcade Archives titles.

Nester99

How much does this cost on switch?
Its $20 (CDN) on PSN

its frustrating to see games like "binding of isaac" for sale for the switch for $39.99 while its $14.99 on PSN.

This is what is keeping me from buying the switch.

Top Bottom