• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Fractured but Whole - Review Thread

Pilgrimzero

I’m just hoping it’s not as easy as the first game. Once you got the Katana the game was easy as pie on any difficulty. Well, still fairly easy before then but once you got the Katana even the boss battles where over in a couple of rounds.

I’m just hoping it’s not as easy as the first game. Once you got the Katana the game was easy as pie on any difficulty. Well, still fairly easy before then but once you got the Katana even the boss battles where over in a couple of rounds.

Yeah, the only fight I found difficult was the one where you fought Al Gore and the Secret Service guys. And even then that was only when playing as a Fighter, which seemed to be the most underpowered class.

Bersi

Looks inferior to the first game, but of course Obsidian isn't making this one..

Still, will buy.
All the reviews that i read seems to point out that the combat system and the gameplay in general is way better than stick of truth,i love Obsidian but they certainly weren't the main reason why the first game was so good.

But the coon and friends episodes have never been the strongest episodes of South Park. While the lord of the rings/game of Thrones ones were amazing.

I disagree,while lord of the rings episode is a masterpiece i think the superheroes trilogy is way better than the GOT one, Captain Hindsight,Mintberry Crunch,Cartman being best friend with cthulu,we learn why kenny can't die etc.. ,so many great momentes in those episodes.

Pilgrimzero

Yeah, the only fight I found difficult was the one where you fought Al Gore and the Secret Service guys. And even then that was only when playing as a Fighter, which seemed to be the most underpowered class.

Funny enough it’s the only class I haven’t played. I find all the classes pretty simular though. And I’d say the Jew is the least useful. Most of that classs abilities rely on you being damaged, and the worse the better.

The game would have benefitted from class specific gear. Everyone could use the Katana and use all the armor etc. which again made the clssss pointless. As the Wizard I still used the Katana over magic because it was still much better.

Happy to see the good reviews, I had some apprehension for the writing due to both pre release materials and the superhero stuff in the shows past. Will have to get it this year.

Gurish

Great reviews, unfortunately I can’t afford it right now, too many games I can’t keep up. My backlog is already too much.

Saoshyant

Ars Technica review

No score as their usual policy, but I think this quote summarizes their overall opinion:

If Ubisoft made this [game] as a satire of its own fetch-quest games, we couldn't find the part where it stops being terrible and gets funny.​

Falchion

I couldn't even finish the Polygon review it was so bad. Why would they get someone to review the game who has such disdain for the series?

I couldn't even finish the Polygon review it was so bad. Why would they get someone to review the game who has such disdain for the series?
Yep, completely pointless. Why would a game that features the humor and characters of a series so heavily be appealing in any way to people that don't like said humor and characters?

He made that evident when he mentioned "growing out" of South Park in the second paragraph, and yet he has a few digs that suggest he does still catch the odd episode. Either that, or he's trotting out arguments he read elsewhere. That was a typical snarky-nerd style review.

angelic

Banned
Seems quite the leap from my actual position, which is "South Park has largely been a toxic force in our culture, so I don't want to support it with my money" to "I am hastening the death of South Park."

I'm always baffled whenn I read things like "I don't wish to support popular product X in any way", because it makes 0.0000000001% of a difference. Also you're wrong about SP.

angelic

Banned
Yep, completely pointless. Why would a game that features the humor and characters of a series so heavily be appealing in any way to people that don't like said humor and characters?

It's a review written to the Polygon audience, who enjoy being offended by absolutely anything and everything. Like Klepek too, who makes a living off being offended.

Marcel

If you don't like South Park or aren't at least somewhat aware of it I don't see why you would review the game. This would be like asking me to review a simulation hockey game where I don't know shit about players, stats, the strategies and the rules.

angelic

Banned
If you don't like South Park or aren't at least somewhat aware of it I don't see why you would review the game. This would be like asking me to review a simulation hockey game where I don't know shit about players, stats, the strategies and the rules.

Because divisive review = more clicks, that's it. South Park isn't the product on display at Polygon, it's Polygon. Games are props to attach their dreadful rhetoric and generate income. They're basically a leech.

PrimeBeef

"grow up"
This and grow out of are two statement I despise. It just scrrams of being afraid to enjoy things. I'm 42, I still enjoy South Park. I still enjoy juvenile humor. I now also enjoy going to the symphony, opera, plays, reading for educational purposes that have nothing to do with my career or schooling. Too often peoplr are afraid to enjoy what they once did because of what others may think. Now, I understand differing tastes, but when I read or hear that someone grew out of something it is usually used to denegrate what was once liked to seem "mature"

If you don't like South Park or aren't at least somewhat aware of it I don't see why you would review the game.

Because not everyone who is interested in video games or reads video game websites is a South Park watcher. Some people may be interested in the game without necessarily caring about the TV show, and I think it's good that there are a handful of perspectives on the game from reviewers who don't necessarily care about the show.

I find Phil Kollar from Polygon to be one of the game reviewers I agree with most and pretty respectable in general. So I am curious to know his thoughts on South Park simply as a video game than as an extension of the TV show. It seems there are parts of the actual video game that he appreciates, despite not being a fan of the show. That's valuable to know for other gamers who may not be a fan of the show.

It's a review written to the Polygon audience, who enjoy being offended by absolutely anything and everything. Like Klepek too, who makes a living off being offended.

I like polygon, but it's beyond stupid to have someone who doesn't like a property to review a game. I've been in the radio business for almost 15 years and I do music reviews from time to time. I hate screamo music, this would be like having me review some screamo bands new album. It might be amazing for its target audience but I hate every second of it. Dumb move from polygon.

Marcel

Because not everyone who is interested in video games or reads video game websites is a South Park watcher. Some people may be interested in the game without necessarily caring about the TV show, and I think it's good that there are a handful of perspectives on the game from reviewers who don't necessarily care about the show.

I find Phil Kollar from Polygon to be one of the game reviewers I agree with most and pretty respectable in general. So I am curious to know his thoughts on South Park simply as a video game than as an extension of the TV show. It seems there are parts of the actual video game that he appreciates, despite not being a fan of the show. That's valuable to know for other gamers who may not be a fan of the show.

I would feel those people are misguided and should probably spend their time on games they would have a more complete interest in. Again, this would be like me whining about how pro wrestling has a toxic effect on our culture because of X arbitrary reasons, generally not understanding why fans like it and lamenting its place in our society with no nuance. It's not a game or piece of media made for me and that's okay.

Audioboxer

This and grow out of are two statement I despise. It just scrrams of being afraid to enjoy things. I'm 42, I still enjoy South Park. I still enjoy juvenile humor. I now also enjoy going to the symphony, opera, plays, reading for educational purposes that have nothing to do with my career or schooling. Too often peoplr are afraid to enjoy what they once did because of what others may think. Now, I understand differing tastes, but when I read or hear that someone grew out of something it is usually used to denegrate what was once liked to seem "mature"

A 7/10 is absolutely respectable for this game. Why wouldn't it be? It is a bit eye-rolling though when a review goes out its way to make part of it an almost "I'm your parent and this is how you should grow up/mature/think about what you're laughing at". People know what to expect from South Park, it's stayed consistent since it first started with lampooning everything, and sometimes spending more time going after something if it ends up having the most outcries attached to it. PC Principal is a popular character because even today people still lose their shit any time he appears (a little bit of irony considering he turned out a good guy and you can tell who actually watches SP).

There's a funny Giantbomb video streaming the trailer live and because PC Principal appears it's like a bunch of middle aged men all doing their best job of frowning face and tut tutting. I genuinely think some people try too hard to put on their most sterile and sternest face around SP, instead of just relaxing and chilling out. Take it less seriously. Don't go looking for diamonds in amongst a pile of shit. South Park has always been trashy late night comedy, where you're supposed to turn your brain off and escape the depressing reality of real life. Everyone needs to take life less seriously every now and then and there is a reason adults, yes, not teenagers, adults, can still enjoy SP. Sometimes holding onto a bit of your youth inside of you helps you be a well rounded adult. Instead of just being a sour faced old dude constantly saying "kids these days laughing at things I find offensive".

Marcel

A 7/10 is absolutely respectable for this game. Why wouldn't it be? It is a bit eye-rolling though when a review goes out its way to make part of it an almost "I'm your parent and this is how you should grow up/mature/think about what you're laughing at". People know what to expect from South Park, it's stayed consistent since it first started with lampooning everything, and sometimes spending more time going after something if it ends up having the most outcries attached to it. PC Principal is a popular character because even today people still lose their shit any time he appears.

There's a funny Giantbomb video streaming the trailer live and because PC Principal appears it's like a bunch of middle aged men all doing their best job of frowning face and tut tutting. I genuinely think some people try too hard to put on their most sterile and sternest face around SP, instead of just relaxing and chilling out. Take it less seriously.

Considering the many demonstrative male allies that turned out to be assholes and weirdos behind the scenes the PC Principal character and humor was ultimately spot on.

xviper

as someone who hates Turn based combat, would i enjoy this game ?? i liked Child of light a lot, which was made by Ubisoft too

My biggest problem with it so far is that I am just not finding it funny in any way. And I really enjoyed the craziness of the humor in Stick of Truth. I am hoping it picks up as it goes but thus far it's just excessive fart jokes.

Terrorblot

Because it isn't a critics obligation to be a fanboy of something before passing judgement? I haven't been a huge fan of Polygon's reviews in the past but I find it particularly silly that people are trying to shield SOUTH PARK, something that gets it's laughs from criticism of pop culture from criticism itself.

Almost every South Park POV:
iL6vHx5.jpg

Audioboxer

Considering the many demonstrative male allies that turned out to be assholes and weirdos behind the scenes the PC Principal character and humor was ultimately spot on.

That too, but as a baseline for South Park I still advise don't take it seriously. Even when it has political undertones that may satirise real life, still just treat it as an animated cartoon with bad language and low-ball humour.

People can discuss the nasty hypocritical individuals you speak of outside of thinking it has to be SPs job to point them out. SP makes fun of them, but real life discourse should really be what we rely on to ferret out wolves in sheep's clothing. People have lied, deceived and tricked since well before SP existed. People who don't think there are any "good allies" on your side lieing/feigning are being incredibly naive to the human condition of sometimes wanting attention/fame/support/praise and ego related satisfaction.

The "male ally" turned into creep/criminal is just the modern day take on something that's happened for generations. Social media simply helps subject eyes to individuals behaviour all around the world. As I said if you take SP simply for what it is, then you shouldn't end up writing conflicted blog posts where one week you're saying "well done SP for mocking white nationalists, that's progressive", and then the next week saying "how dare you mock and imply male allies are all creeps! this is alt-right propaganda!". No, it's just SP having digs at different people and groups. Sometimes that might include a group you see yourself as part of.

Criticism of the show and as I said you absenting yourself from ever watching it, or playing the games is one thing. The almost police like state some get themselves into where they verge on wanting others not to laugh or enjoy something is where it can get a bit eye-rolling.

Marcel

Because it isn't a critics obligation to be a fanboy of something before passing judgement? I haven't been a huge fan of Polygon's reviews in the past but I find it particularly silly that people are trying to shield SOUTH PARK, something that gets it's laughs from criticism of pop culture from criticism itself.

iL6vHx5.jpg

Nobody is "shielding" South Park as far as I can tell. I don't follow the show outside of what most people know or identify with its politics but game journalists using their very limited bully pulpit to lecture fans, presumably the game's main buying audience, about South Park's toxicity is pretty laughable to me.

Didn't Matt and Trey have full creative writing control in the first one too? Outside of the engine im not sure what Obsidian magic would have been worked on it.

Yeah, I love Obsidian, but I'd say most what was good likely came directly from Matt and Trey who were really hands on with it. So losing Obsidian here is probably not a big deal.

shamanick

iL6vHx5.jpg

South Park can and should get a lot of criticism, but they're anything but centrists

LOLCats

Banned
excited for the game! Polygon review is no surprise. not even sure why they review games over there. Wont waste the click on that one for sure.

Don't want any spoilers, but does towelie follow you around?

iL6vHx5.jpg

This looks like it was done by someone who has never watched the show or even seen a clip of it.

Demoskinos

Triggered by the jokes? Interested to hear his thoughts but it seems like he's an outlier. Looks pretty much like if you enjoyed the first there's a good chance you'll enjoy this.

Sure if you like lazy half-baked social commentary and "comedy" I'm sure this game is a knee-slapper.

Terrorblot

South Park can and should get a lot of criticism, but they're anything but centrists

I honestly don't want to get into anything heated or derail the topic, but South Park has always seen quite center-right to me usually taking pot shots at anyone who believes in any one thing too sincerely, usually with some libertarian personal responsibility first angle embedded into whichever character they're using as their own soap box.

Good to see we're at the "if you criticize elements not gameplay related then you're a triggered SJW looking for clicks" part of this thread.

Marcel

Sure if you like lazy half-baked social commentary and "comedy" I'm sure this game is a knee-slapper.

This has been South Park's thing for 10+ years now: armchair, not always good social commentary and toilet humor. Acting like you're delivering some biting and novel criticism of it is in of itself a joke.

Acorn

Never knew so many people had such an intense dislike for south park (posters, not critics).

Fine with critical reviews - that's literally their job, it's just an individual's opinion. It doesn't effect your enjoyment so pipe down and grow up.

Top Bottom