• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Magicians - an adaptation of the Lev Grossman Series - S2 - Wed on SyFy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the actor is just following direction, but I find Quentin to be mostly annoying, and often times unlikable. I was hoping his character development would show more signs of self-confidence, like at the Arctic mage school when he got pissed and put all of the nails in the board.

I love it when he nerds out about stuff, I just can't stand it when he stammers all over himself and starts whining. I don't know how his friends can stand it.

If the show is anything like the books going forward. His injury should lead to growth... (that might be a pun if they fix his arm the way they did in the books)

gibut

I'm really curious to see where they go with the show now, Beast was pretty much the enemy that they were fighting the entire series. Q being whiny is very annoying but I think he pretty much stays true to his character from the start of the show. Did taking a dump in the water pretty much screw over magic in Fillory?

I know the actor is just following direction, but I find Quentin to be mostly annoying, and often times unlikable. I was hoping his character development would show more signs of self-confidence, like at the Arctic mage school when he got pissed and put all of the nails in the board.

I love it when he nerds out about stuff, I just can't stand it when he stammers all over himself and starts whining. I don't know how his friends can stand it.

yea, the stammering is terrible. Like, dude you know these books back and forth, yet forget important stuff ALL THE TIME.

Also forgetting that Julia explicitly that the beast set traps in the castle to kill people, but not telling anyone about it until its too late. My dude, cmon!

^^^The show continues to do a great job with mixing drama and comedy. A lot of harsh truths dropped at the end with Quentin. Can't outrun your sadness.

Julia gaining more intel on dealing with the Fox God.

Lorcain

That was a good episode. The cast and writers are getting better at striking that off-tonal balance between funny and really dark.

I think it's important that Q steps away from it all at this point. I liked that decision. What I hope happens is that he learns that Fillory needs him just as much as he needs Fillory.

Marina coming back briefly and telling them she's someplace horrible was unsettling. Magic definitely comes with an awful price in this world.

DrBo42

Season 2 is way better so far IMO. Less cringe. Big fan of (spoilers)
Alice being dead. She's terrible.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Season 2 is way better so far IMO. Less cringe. Big fan of (spoilers)
Alice being dead. She's terrible.

I'll agree with that, with the exception of the spoilers. I liked how Season 1 started but lost interest midway through. By the time I got to the season finale I was pretty meh on the series.

I wasn't even going to watch Season 2, but a friend of mine is OBSESSED with the show and we watched all 4 episodes yesterday. I've really liked the direction Season 2 has gone in.

kirblar

I wonder if the decision to have both The Expanse and The Magicians only get part-way through Book 1 during Season 1 was deliberate on SyFy's part or just a writer's room coincidence.

New episode tonight:
Cheat Day

Quentin adjusts to life in New York without magic and finds an unexpected friend. Penny seeks help from Professor Mayakovsky while Eliot and Margo deal with the dangers of being royalty. Julia discovers another consequence of Reynard's attack.

Lorcain

- The magic transformation scene with Q and "Alice" was incredibly sad, and well done

- Things just keep getting darker and darker for Julia :(

- The Mayakosvky reveal was both funny and sad, again the show hitting that off-tonal chord

- They're channeling Japanese horror with creepy ghost Alice. F*ck that.

gibut

Julia is getting just what she deserves! Penny continues to be my favorite character on the show. That girl Q hooked up with has some serious problems, I have feeling she's going to get him into a lot of trouble.

Jag

They used my favorite line from the books.

"Eliot: Who do you think you are, Fillory Clinton?"

That girl Q hooked up with has some serious problems, I have feeling she's going to get him into a lot of trouble.

She was the girl from Alice's brother's love triangle that turned him into a Niffin (Season 1). The other person was the Russian teacher at Brakebills South. It's also why she supposedly fears magic, but not really.

i know its for money sake. i wish they kept Q in bed for longer. He had an amazing arc in the books after his injury i hope they somehow nod too.

New episode tonight:
The Cock Barrens

Quentin attends Alice's memorial while Eliot and Margo deal with a diplomatic negotiation that escalates to dangerous proportions. Julia discovers a surprising truth about the woman who banished Reynard forty years earlier.

The Magicians really felt like 3 different shows at once, especially last night with some of the editing and commercial breaks.

Margo/Elliot royal hijinks continue to bring the comedy. Their reaction to Quentin's dancing in the beginning was great.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
what even is that promo for next episode? How does that relate to anything

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was worried Julia would be chained up for a few episodes. Glad that wasn't the case. I'm fairly certain I screamed "Give her a fucking break!" at the TV 🙈

Margo had some good scenes. She's bad and she knows it. I've been enjoying all of the Fillory moments this season, actually. Big turn around from last year where that's where I sorta tuned out of the show.

Pretty good episode. Had me laughing quite a bit.

DrBo42

Just when I thought I would be rid of Alice (not that her character is bad, the actress is) now she's strapped to Q's back. FFS. Maybe she'll be able to pull off angry niffin Alice better than her Hermoine with baggage portrayal so far.

Edit: Feel like they really nailed what this show should be at this point. Foo fighters jokes were great. Season 1 has this goal of "We need to be the dark Harry Potter, guys. Say fuck a few more times." which very rarely came off as genuine. Now it's way more organic and playful while still getting serious when it needs to. Way better. Waaaaay better.

New episode tonight:
Plan B

Julia and Kady devise a plan and enlist Quentin, Margo, Eliot and Penny for a magical bank heist that could solve each of their problems. Niffin Alice continues to pressure Quentin to set her free.

kirblar

This was one of the funniest episodes they've ever done. Though one of the jokes (can't remember which) was real forced.

Grizzlyjin

The show feels so much tighter this season. I loved Elliott's line about how they all had the emotional maturity to treat Julia with compassion despite her betrayal. Skipped right over episodes worth of "Should we forgive her/should we not?" Ghost Alice is more interesting that Regular Alice, so I have no problem with her just fucking with Quentin's head some more.

Fun episode. Was a little rushed near the end but the concept and bank scenes were cool.

Yeah, this episode really benefited from the core of the cast all mostly being together. Bank heists are fun and doing it with magicians worked even better.

The electric whip Kady had was pretty cool.

I wonder what the complication that Julia suffered was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom