• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - Season 5 of the award winning KGB spy drama - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

Dont worry yourself calder..unless my wife wants to keep watching im all done for now.

I definitely will want to know how the show wraps up next year..am i allowed to watch that??????

A link to a recap work? I'd say we could make a spreadsheet showing which characters end up dead/in jail/on the run/bitterly unhappy but 'safe' in the USSR etc. but I'm worried we all know that's going to be one depressing-ass table. At this point I'll be shocked if Phillip or Elizabeth are alive at the end. :|

LQX

Man, for some reason this episode more than any other really brought home how cold blooded Elizabeth and Phillip are. Here they are digging up a dead body and even though you know they have killed before and thus know death very well, you see the hesitation and think; man, even killers sometimes find their job too gruesome....nope. The hesitation is from the fact they do not want to get infected and when one of the helpers does make bodily contact with the infected body they fucking shoot him in the head and throw him in the coffin with the dead body. Not for a second were they going to allow him to come out of that grave.

And that guy was in love with Elizabeth, wasn't he? I remember a few seasons ago him admitting something to the effect of that to her. He ended up murdering that one innocent south African kid to impress her if I recall.

Rehynn

The consistency of the quality of writing and overall execution on this show is simply astounding.

Excellent first episode.

Alpende

Loved the first episode, those last scenes without dialogue were excellent. Sad to see the South African guy go, I liked him. So good to have the show back.

I wish there was a way to legally prevent you from watching the show any longer, some sort of tracking bracelet tuned to audio from new episodes or something. It would just be for the best.

That's a stupid thing to say. Not everyone is going to like every TV show and your post makes you sound like an ass.

Anyway I thought the first episode was really good but I think I missed why they are interested in the Russian kid's family. Or was that not revealed yet?

Also the last sequence was great. I was hoping the camera would show the others' reactions to when Elizabeth shot Hans but they never did. But seriously, 10 minutes of just quiet digging in an episode... not many shows would try that.

Anyway I thought the first episode was really good but I think I missed why they are interested in the Russian kid's family. Or was that not revealed yet?
It hasn't been revealed yet. From the interviews with Fields and Weisberg (not really spoilers)
TVLINE | So what is Philip and Elizabeth’s ultimate goal with this mission, infiltrating this family of Russian immigrants? What are they trying to gain?
WEISBERG | We’ve done a lot of complicated stories; this is probably the most complicated one. And if you actually want to follow it, that’s asking too much. [Laughs]

FIELDS | But in a lot of ways, it might be our most real spy story to date. Because they’re actually not going into that family with a particular, singular goal. Their goal is to get close to the family and figure it out from there. The KGB is sufficiently concerned about what’s going on with the U.S., in terms of what they may be doing to Soviet agriculture, to want to know what this guy is doing here. And just that is enough. The mission will unfold as they find out more.

WEISBERG | And there are some big, scary red flags in that first episode. The fact that the CIA snuck this guy out of Moscow, and he’s working with them… that’s f–king terrifying.

FIELDS | You don’t do that for nothing.

WEISBERG | He’s not a nuclear scientist, right? He’s not a weapons designer. There’s really no reason you would want that guy, unless they were somehow going to attack our food supply. So: “Philip and Elizabeth? In you go! Figure that the f–k out, and then whatever it is, stop it.”

FrodoYolo

Banned
That block of episodes with Marthas extraction were the best stuff theyve done but it existed on its own. The ongoing story is repetitive (will Stan find out??) and the other marks (the asian guy last year, the black lady the year before) are never and will never be as good as Martha..the only one that came close was the white girl Philip was smoking weed with.
Well I don't mind the (will Stan find out??) plot line because it's the final payoff for the series, kind of like how Breaking Bad was. Yeah the other marks are just eh. Then again I thought Season 3 was terrible and way too spread thin. But Martha was way more of an actual character, so it's hard to replicate.

Must be saying something that I have no idea what storyline that was.
It was the side plot for Elizabeth to do last season, she became best friends with this woman and some other stuff happened.

Ristifer

I mean, the other marks haven't really been significant for a reason. Martha was significant because she was the pull for Philip. She represented the side of life that he'd been getting more and more attached to in America. Elizabeth never had that kind of attachment. Except with Gregory, which was before she felt her marriage to Philip was legitimate and more than just an arrangement for the cause.

That's why Young-Hee's plotline was significant, because she finally broke through Elizabeth's colder exterior and made Elizabeth realize why Martha was more than just a "mark" for Philip. For the audience, the payoff was seeing Elizabeth struggle to reduce her to just another "useful" person for the cause. It finally made her second guess the Centre's direction.

The whole show has been about character development. Not always the sexiest approach, but that's how it goes sometimes.

T Dollarz

So glad this incredible show is back. Debut of peak tv in 2017 I would say. Like, the simplicity of Stan greeting Philip with a six pack of beer again, I'm like yeeeessssss I missed you!!

jond76

Banned
Will this be the year where Philip decides he wants to defect? It's always been there in the background but it wavers. It seems him listening to the other Russian about how crap things are made him think.

Daft_Cat

Why would the government bury that guy instead of incinerating him?

Can't certain viral/bacterial strains survive extremely high temperatures? Plus, it could be an airborne pathogen. With something that contagious (and poorly understood, given that it was still in R&D), it's not surprising they would hermetically seal the body, and bury it deep underground in a toxic waste container.

Then again, I'm an arts major, and this is a TV show.

Can't certain viral/bacterial strains survive extremely high temperatures? Plus, it could be an airborne pathogen. With something that contagious (and poorly understood, given that it was still in R&D), it's not surprising they would hermetically seal the body, and bury it deep underground in a toxic waste container.
That's how I interpreted it. They didn't say anything about it in the podcast or the interviews this week other than mentioning that it was a military coffin that they used and it was a pain in the ass to get it through customs.

If you look very close, the tag actually says "DO NOT BURN: If this body is burned this plot line will not exist."
nQtrb8i.gif

The only real argument you could make is that the govt wanted to see what happens with the virus after X years in an isolated environment, but thats kind of stupid. There is zero ability for any bacteria or virus to survive 80s industrial/military incinerators so it doesn't really make any sense they did it for safety.

I just thought it was funny none of the other team members seemed to react, like all they saw was the dude fall down and then elizabeth fire a gun. Sure, maybe he got infected or maybe Liz and Phillip were told to execute the team after extraction.

I know it was artistic and all to have a 6 minute pit digging sequence but it was pretty easy to guess ahead of time what they were doing ("he has to do one last service") so I thought the whole thing was a bit too much. Still a great episode, I especially liked that dinner scene where Elizabeth is clearly angry at someone for criticizing the USSR and Philip clearly is thinking that maybe capitalism is better.

Also interesting how much corruption was talked about in the episode, usually we think the USSR fell because of inefficiencies (the farming scene) and inability to keep up technically but corruption was such a huge part of it, and sort of makes you wonder how corrupt the top countries are nowadays.

My wife and I had been marathoning through the previous seasons on Amazon Prime recently. Kind of a strange feeling to be all caught up and having to wait a week between episodes now.

Minus_Me

Enjoyed the first episode and looking forward to more.

Is it the first time we have a time frame of when the show takes place?

Sometime from February 84' to March 85' going by the Chernenko portrait.

Is it the first time we have a time frame of when the show takes place?

Sometime from February 84' to March 85' going by the Chernenko portrait.
They've included easily identifiable period notes before (tv shows, speeches, etc...) In this episode, they discuss watching the Sarajevo Winter Olympics which puts it in Feb 1984.

So whats the over under that Phillips son gets killed?
I'm not sure what the point is of that story line unless he confronts Philip, but going to America to search for a travel agent isn't much of a lead.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That digging sequence was great. Few shows would dare play that out for so long. Poor Hans.

Am I wrong here? Was the opening title sequence not expanded?
You're wrong. They've had it from the beginning, and almost always play the full thing. Minor adjustments have been made over the years, like adding more evidence of the kids, I think.

Minus_Me

They've included easily identifiable period notes before (tv shows, speeches, etc...) In this episode, they discuss watching the Sarajevo Winter Olympics which puts it in Feb 1984.

I'm not sure what the point is of that story line unless he confronts Philip, but going to America to search for a travel agent isn't much of a lead.

I feel like a dolt haha, didn't notice they mentioned that at all.

Thinking back, I'm remembering some other moments as well.

-griffy-

Banned
I feel like a dolt haha, didn't notice they mentioned that at all.

Thinking back, I'm remembering some other moments as well.

They've been very specific about when the show takes place, down to the day. To the extent that they've nixed stuff appearing in the show (like a commercial or show on TV or something) because it didn't line up.

Minus_Me

They've been very specific about when the show takes place, down to the day. To the extent that they've nixed stuff appearing in the show (like a commercial or show on TV or something) because it didn't line up.

That's some dedication!

Going to do a rewatch of this for sure now.

I'm just hoping they make it to October of '85 before the show ends, so Henry can get his hands on an NES.

Mazre

So glad this is back.

Stan is such a dork. Elizabeth training Paige and their respective expressions were amazing. Dig scene was great, poor Hans, but that was probably a merciful end all things considered.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I didn't expect Hans to go out like that. Now I wonder where this plot with Philip's son will go. Wouldn't shock me if Elizabeth puts him down too.

I didn't expect Hans to go out like that. Now I wonder where this plot with Philip's son will go. Wouldn't shock me if Elizabeth puts him down too.

Yeah I think Philip's son is goner. Don't see him making it to the end of the season even.

I could see Mischa trying to find ol' Pops Jennings, then the Russians taking him out so Philip's cover doesn't get blown. Then Philip witnesses it or finds out, and that starts him down a road towards defecting.

New episode tonight:
Pests

Stan and Oleg wrestle with the harsh consequences of their complicated history, as Philip and Elizabeth face a new mission with devastating implications for their country.
As usual, this episode is scheduled to run a few minutes past the hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom