• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM - One Year Later

vio

The Polygon gameplay(er)
doom3copy3bsdp.jpg

whatyearisthis.gif

fantomena

I need more SP gameplay. DLC, sequel, Old Blood-thing, something. MP is fun too, but Team Deathmatch is dead, and I don't like playing the free for all modes. :(

Playing on PC btw.

A bit too long, needed more environnement and ennemy variety, and a real metal soundtrack instead of this weak OST. Gunplay and movement was perfect!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
A bit too long, needed more environnement and ennemy variety, and a real metal soundtrack instead of this weak OST. Gunplay and movement was perfect!

Variety yeah, it could have been better, but cannot agree on the game being too long and the OST not being the best OST to grace an FPS in years (which it is) ;).

I know the multiplayer has its fans, but it would have been really cool if they had completely ignored that aspect of the game and just focused on the Snap Map stuff. Imagine if the other half of this game was just Super Mario Maker but for Doom 1, Doom 2, and Doom 2016. Being able to make Doom 1/2 singleplayer and co-op maps, and have it be fully fateful to the original games. That along with the Doom 2016 map making and i feel this could have been something that had some serous longevity in the community. What we got was sort of a half step into that and didnt really deliver on either making old maps or new maps.

Verder

The games music made my ex fall in love with metal and she don't even like that "sound" . Favorite fps in years . Titanfall 2 right behind it

Paganmoon

This thread reminded me I need to play this.
But geez, can't believe the game is still full price on Steam, PC version is more expensive than Console versions at retail as well, what the hell is going on?

Matthew23

Nope. Executions are essential to the gameplay loop. FWIW I thought they were dumb at first but once everything started clicking I got used to them. Helps that they're very fast.

Not to mention that you speed them up even further.

Thank you for the input. With everything else the game has going for it I'll likely crack next steam sale
(some demonic heads that is).

c0Zm1c

But geez, can't believe the game is still full price on Steam, PC version is more expensive than Console versions at retail as well, what the hell is going on?

It usually gets a nice discount in the Steam sales. I bought it in one not long after release at 40% off.

Angry Fork

Didn't end up getting it because I wanted something like Doom 3 again, a slower/atmospheric story based game mixed with action when necessary like Prey is but with more horror obviously since it's Doom.

Instead it looked like a return to the arena fast paced blow up enemies stuff that I'm sure tons of fans love but isn't that interesting to me. It basically just seems like horde mode level after level, I don't really get the appeal of that as part of a singleplayer campaign, like you can do that in multiplayer. Why not do a slow, narrative-driven SP and then have the beat-em-up stuff in MP? Oh well.

It was on sale lots of times last year. 67% off a couple weeks ago.

https://steamdb.info/app/379720/

horkrux

I don't know what to say man. The game can be had for as low as 10€ right now. Why even bother with the official Steam price?

eXistor

The best fps I've played in literally years, it filled such a giant hole. Too bad they never did sp DLC, but I really hope they're working on a sequel or maybe a similar Quake reboot.

Didn't end up getting it because I wanted something like Doom 3 again, a slower/atmospheric story based game mixed with action when necessary like Prey is but with more horror obviously since it's Doom.

Instead it looked like a return to the arena fast paced blow up enemies stuff that I'm sure tons of fans love but isn't that interesting to me. It basically just seems like horde mode level after level, I don't really get the appeal of that as part of a singleplayer campaign, like you can do that in multiplayer. Why not do a slow, narrative-driven SP and then have the beat-em-up stuff in MP? Oh well.

Because that's not Doom. The first game had atmospheric sections, but it certainly wasn't slow-paced, and Doom should definitely not be narrative-driven. And I definitely wouldn't call the game horde mode. Ideally the sequel will have fewer locked arena sections, but I've played 55 hours and feel like it's not as prevalent as people make it out to be.

c0Zm1c

Isn't that just how it is to play a shooter with a console controller?

That's how it would look if I tried to do that

Only if you completely stink at using a controller. I'm pretty sure I could do it better than that, and I'm not very good at all at playing FPS with a controller.

Some of the best FPS combat I've ever played, maybe the best. But it needed quite a bit more level and encounter variety to really push it into greatness though, as the arenas really start to blend together.

That would be my main complaint would be some of the level design. Too many arena style areas and too many areas with a plain design. A station on Mars should look and feel a little bit more like a station on Mars. With the kind of combat they are going for the game is going to need some big areas just due to the size of the enemies, but it got a little too rote by the end.

That would be my main complaint would be some of the level design. Too many arena style areas and too many areas with a plain design. A station on Mars should look and feel a little bit more like a station on Mars. With the kind of combat they are going for the game is going to need some big areas just due to the size of the enemies, but it got a little too rote by the end.

Vega Central Processing has some of the best areas in the game. It's just that it comes after the weakest Hell section.

Doom was an amazing game, that seems to not have been played by enough people and fell into obscurity too quick. cant praise it enough.

biggest annoyance was that the big battles were set events in closed off rooms though. just felt like there were too many of those and too predictable.

last third of the game started to wane on me though, so i just lowered the difficulty and sped run through

boinx

Doom was an amazing game, that seems to not have been played by enough people and fell into obscurity too quick. cant praise it enough.

The problem is that the mp was mediocre, the modding support sucked and honestly the level design is still better in the original. I'll take thought out enemy placements any day over boxed in arena fights.

Still a really good game that revitalized some interest in doom but the real kicker is the modding. OG doom has a pretty vibrant community to this day considering it's age and it will outlive many games to come.

Top Bottom