• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - Reviews

Note: No online mentions as servers were not readily available to reviewers.

Metascore: 67

Eurogamer Score: Avoid

It should be clear by now that I think The Final Challengers is a disappointing game. As a Street Fighter fan, I would have loved for Capcom to put more effort into the series' debut on the Nintendo Switch. If it had to be a definitive version of Street Fighter 2, it could have been so much better. An accurate port of Super Turbo at a reasonable price would have been enough for me - and I'm sure many Street Fighter fans.

US Gamer Score:3/5

If you absolutely need Street Fighter II on Switch, go ahead. For the 30th anniversary and $40? Capcom needed to do better. The company has released Street Fighter time and time again, and this doesn't even stand up to past efforts.

Destructoid Score: 7/10

This is the old school foundation that a lot of folks built their fighting game careers on. That's not a bad thing, especially with the Switch's on-the-go hook, but it could just as easily have been a downloadable release.

Vooks' Score: pending testing of online servers

None of this is to say that Ultra Street Fighter II is a terrible game. There's a reason that even games today are still building on the foundation laid by Street Fighter II. The biggest issue here is that this particular release feels utterly unnecessary. There is so little about Ultra Street Fighter II that justifies a purchase unless you absolutely must play a version of Street Fighter II on Switch right now.

God is a Geek score 7/10
Ultimately, this is pretty much the game you think it is, for better or worse. I still like and enjoy Street Fighter 2, though I'd prefer to play a more modern fighter. Including Violent Ken and Evil Ryu is a boon, but newcomers won't care. Whatever you do think about SF2, this is far, far too expensive a price point for what is on the cart. While I can heartily endorse it as a good, sometimes great fighting game, I really can't recommend buying it this price. So it's a conundrum, then. A good game that costs too much.

Press-Start Score: 4/10

Trusted Reviews Score: 4/5

Gaming-Age Score: C

CG Magazine Score: 8.5/10

Gamerreactor Score: 5/10

GameXplain Video review

GameKult Score: Bon (7/10)

Neoxon

Here's GameXplain's review.

Anyway, I think I'll stick with SFV & wait for ARMS. It's still a bit weird that they didn't use the UDON version of the artbook with its translated English text.

Hopefully this doesn't scare Capcom away from the Switch entirely.

God is a Geek score 7/10

Ultimately, this is pretty much the game you think it is, for better or worse. I still like and enjoy Street Fighter 2, though I’d prefer to play a more modern fighter. Including Violent Ken and Evil Ryu is a boon, but newcomers won’t care. Whatever you do think about SF2, this is far, far too expensive a price point for what is on the cart. While I can heartily endorse it as a good, sometimes great fighting game, I really can’t recommend buying it this price. So it’s a conundrum, then. A good game that costs too much.

Honestly, wasn't expecting much more.

It's such a disgusting cash grab, I don't think people really have an interest in it.

Had they added more to it than two bogus new characters, I'd be all over it.

Let's also not forget that there are so many great fighting games this year already. Injustice 2, Marvel vs capcom Infinite, Tekken 7, Guilty Gear XRD Revelator 2, etc.

Neoxon

Honestly, wasn't expecting much more.

It's such a disgusting cash grab, I don't think people really have an interest in it.

Had they added more to it than two bogus new characters, I'd be all over it.

Let's also not forget that there are so many great fighting games this year already. Injustice 2, Marvel vs capcom Infinite, Tekken 7, Guilty Gear XRD Revelator 2, etc.
Don't forget ARMS & Injustice 2 (though the latter just came out).

Capcom has always been at war with itself and its consumers when it comes to business practices

Where is the passion, reality checks and comittment to delivering?

UberTag

Go home and be a family man, Capcom.
You can't deliver a product this mediocre within the same month as Injustice 2, ARMS, Tekken 7 and Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 and expect not to get taken to task for it.

Whompa02

Forty Dollars. Come the fuck on, Capcom.

Anyone who buys this is a sucker. As an anniversary, it should be 10-15 bucks TOPS.

This is a $15 digital release at best. Even then I think it's an iffy proposition since all the new stuff is whack and the HD Remix art is butt-ugly.

Why couldn't they just have the game be $20 on the eShop and justify the $40 price with some other feelies the way other Switch games have been doing? A soundtrack, a mini artbook, or something to both justify the price and celebrate the anniversary. Comparing this to the 3DS version of Street Fighter IV way back when, the gulf in effort and content is embarrassing.

Fdkn

Nintendo is publishing the game outside of Japan, but the price is in line with what Capcom is charging for it in Japan. Capcom is definitely overvaluing the package they've put together here.

Plenty of japanese games have different prices there compared to the overseas release, the market conditions and expectations are different, specially on the handheld market.

I really don't get Capcom. I love how they treat just about every series not named Street Fighter, but the decisions they make with SF are flagrantly nonsensical. Sounds like they didn't put any effort into making this particular release worthwhile.

Robin64

I'm in two minds as to whether or not price should affect a review score. Prices can and will drop, but will the review change to reflect it later? It should be scored entirely based on the game's own merits. But on the other hand, I do think people need to be aware it's a high launch price.

Nintendo is the publisher in the UK/Australia.

Capcom is the publisher in Europe and Australia. Nintendo is distributing.

It's a similar setup to what Sega has in Europe - Sega of Europe published Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and Sega 3D Classics, but both games were distributed by Koch Media. Likewise THQ used to distribute Sega games in Europe.

I said this in an earlier thread, but before the Switch came out I thought that I would end up buying this out of starvation, but there are so many (good/decent) games out that I feel no need. I am more than occupied until ARMS.

Buuuuuut to qualify that I also played Minecraft for the first time ever last week. That's a bit of a time suck.

I hope online bumps this up a little though - I do want it to be successful.

UberTag

What Capcom has done here...

BjCkl.jpg

My reaction...

hqdefault.jpg

NotLiquid

Like I said in the other thread; I had absolutely no qualms with Super Bomberman R's price which was relentlessly criticized, and even I can't defend the pricing of this game. I would've bought it in a heartbeat if it had a reasonable price.

Thanks Capcom for trying to take advantage of Switch fans with your overpriced old ass game then when it doesn't sell well don't cry about it.

VariantX

HD Remix was released for $15 back in 2008. Why the hell is this being priced at $40?

Same reason bomberman was, but bomberman was as there at launch despite being overpriced. It's price is hurting it's perception when it comes to reviews, and that was completely capcom's fault. Those 4's and 5's would have been likely 6's and 7's had it just been a $20 digital game.

Thanks Capcom for trying to take advantage of Switch fans with your overpriced old ass game then when it doesn't sell well don't cry about it.

When it doesn't sell well, the question is if they'll use it as an excuse to drop all Switch support. Hope not. This is/was the only Capcom switch game announced, right?

JordanKZ

I'm not someone to say this normally... But I hope this absolutely bombs. The price to content ratio is appalling.

This should have been a collection from Day 1. I'd have happily given Capcom £40 for Super Turbo, Alpha 3, Puzzle Fighter, Third Strike and USF4.

The release itself sounds fine. It's just that price is dog shit.

I agree. Personally, with my GCU discount, I have no problem biting for sub $30. I just wish they had not bothered with the filler content very few may care for.

I look at price as such: do i know I will get my money's worth not in way of filler content but by the amount of time I will have spent playing this? For me, I can see myself booting this up for the Switch's lifetime. So that's a yes for me but I completely understand that others use a different metric to measure value.

Effect

Same reason bomberman was, but bomberman was as there at launch despite being overpriced. It's price is hurting it's perception when it comes to reviews, and that was completely capcom's fault. Those 4's and 5's would have been likely 6's and 7's had it just been a $20 digital game.

I would argue that Bomberman R has more content, getting even more with free dlc in form of characters and stages, and is a new game not just an altered old one. So there is more justification for its price.

KingBroly

Banned
I really don't get Capcom. I love how they treat just about every series not named Street Fighter, but the decisions they make with SF are flagrantly nonsensical. Sounds like they didn't put any effort into making this particular release worthwhile.

I don't think this was a good fit for Switch, tbh. Especially with the effort they put into it. Just a really bizarre decision. If they wanted to bring HD Remix to Switch, just do it for $10, not some $40 port with 2 characters and some modes no one will care about. They could have and should have done their homework.

Top Bottom