• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went through an awesome dungeon, challenging, lots of secrets, hidden loot, a unique weapon
Sword of Topor, deals 15 stamina damage per strike
and it was filled to the brim with Indiana Jones-style traps, dozens of them. Really fun. Got a dragon shout at the end
which 'soothes wild beasts'
, but I've yet to encounter another dragon so I can't activate it.

Currently I'm level 10 with just over 14 hours put in. Really haven't been pushing the main quest much, as there's so many side quests to pick up and dungeons/mines/villages to explore. For anyone wondering about the difficulty scaling, it is pretty easy to walk into a high-level dungeon. I've found at least 5 I'm going to have to come back to, as I died a number of times. Also, the difficulty in a dungeon isn't constant - some dungeons start off seemingly easy, then becoming particularly challenging further in.

Few more random screenshots of the area I'm currently journeying through;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0099.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0101.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0104.jpg

pelican

Government-man said:
177293_o.gif

Jesus that is freaky.

Loxley

Bootaaay said:
Just went through an awesome dungeon, challenging, lots of secrets, hidden loot, a unique weapon
and it was filled to the brim with Indiana Jones-style traps, dozens of them. Really fun. Got a dragon shout at the end

Currently I'm level 10 with just over 14 hours put in. Really haven't been pushing the main quest much, as there's so many side quests to pick up and dungeons/mines/villages to explore. For anyone wondering about the difficulty scaling, it is pretty easy to walk into a high-level dungeon. I've found at least 5 I'm going to have to come back to, as I died a number of times. Also, the difficulty in a dungeon isn't constant - some dungeons start off seemingly easy, then becoming particularly challenging further in.

Awesome.

Dem rock texturez...

Lakitu

st5fu
Bootaaay said:

Just wow at the screens, thanks. Is each dungeon unique?

Zeliard

Izayoi said:
That's what the difficulty slider is for!

Well, sort of, but there can always be bosses and dungeons that are increasingly difficult as you progress inside of them. Some areas of the map can always have enemies that, despite scaling, are always a step ahead of you.

The story still has some sort of linearity, I would imagine, and will get progressively harder as you make your way through it. The same goes for quest chains (again, speculation).

Scaling doesn't necessarily make the game easy mode no matter what. Granted, I don't know if that's how it's going to work in Skyrim, but I'm just saying that it's possible to make an open world game with scaling and still retain an element of difficulty.

It's less about outright difficulty and more about conveying a sense of exploration and adventure. Level scaling robs the player of any feeling of character progression or exploration by making the world walk to his beat, instead of vice versa. It's particularly jarring for a series that puts a premium on immersion.

You want to be able to walk around early on and spot some ogre or whatever that - if you decide to fight him then - will hit like an ogre instead of scaling down to your level and offering you a "fair challenge" (meaning it may as well be a rat instead of an ogre). It's an ogre you're meeting early in the game; nothing about that encounter should be easy or simple.

If you can take it down, it's a feat, and you deserve whatever rewards you receive. It shouldn't be an easy thing to do and the sense of reward there will be twofold - a) you successfully either took down or snuck past some high-level enemy, and 2) you're possibly getting some nice loot as a result.

With vanilla Oblivion's level scaling, such a thing wasn't possible. You wouldn't be facing a high-level (or low-level) anything because they would all scale to your level. And it wasn't just that enemies scaled down - making matters even worse were the shit mobs that would also scale up to your level (this is where the infamous Daedric Bandits come from).

If you want to be able to brave some tougher area earlier on for both the tangible rewards and whatever general sense of accomplishment you get from it, a proper non-linear game world should let you do just that.

Bootaaay said:
Not that I've found. If you do a power attack away from your enemy you kind of lunge forward out of range, but it's awkward to swing the camera back around in time.

To be honest, I abandoned the idea of dual wielding when I found I couldn't block at all. Maybe I'll go back to it later on when I'm more levelled up and don't have to worry about stuff killing me all the time.

Aye that stuff is a little dismaying. Granted I was going to go mostly magic anyway for my first playthrough but I did want to mess around with a bit of dual wielding as well. Seems like a strange decision to remove any defensive capabilities from that type of style, beyond using magic or items.

I agree with the others that a weaker block or a parry would have been a better idea to balance out dual wielding's offensive potential. If it's the case where dual wielding is just that offensively potent then I think it may have been better to dial that down a bit if it meant giving it some sort of defensive maneuver.

Beyond that power attack lunge thing, there's no quick backstep or anything like that? Something that lets you control range a bit?

Am I the only one who thinks that the graphics look like crap in those screens? the ground textures...holy shit. the distance..omg...looks like oblivion.

I preordered it for ps3 anyways...don't have a great pc.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Stahsky said:
It's an interesting experience. Almost like an MMO without other players. Just you thrown in this massive environment with things to see or do at every corner. Definitely a game to savor. :D

Oh man, that description is such a turn off.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
FreeMufasa said:
This will be my first true ES experience. I think i'm going to play this really slowly over a long period of time.
Enjoy it. To me, ES is akin to when I used to go biking far from my home when I was a child. You'd find new neighbourhoods, cool trails, and if you were lucky, there'd be a sweet forest path. I always brought a bag of cereal and a bottle of juice for the trip. One hell of an adventure.

Bootaaay said:

Run into many invisible walls outdoors? I'm wondering just how climbable those mountains are.

ironcreed

Banned
Bootaaay said:

This is probably one of the most beautiful game worlds I can recall seeing. I mean, it looks like something straight out of a painting in many of the shots you are putting up.

DSC_0099.jpg

I wouldn't say that ES is like an MMO without the other players. ES-games are single-player focused to the core, so there isn't much in common with MMOs besides the size of it.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Government-man said:
I wouldn't say that ES is like an MMO without the other players. ES-games are single-player focused to the core, so there isn't much in common with MMOs besides the size of it.

It is in regards to it's open world, free to do and explore as you will sort of way. Which is what I meant.

I always wander around MMOs taking in the looks, just as I do with ES games.

spirity

loganclaws said:
Oh man, that description is such a turn off.

Don't imagine WoW, with its shitty pop culture and kill 10 'quests'. Think more along the lines of a sandbox rather than a fairground ride.

Dennis

Banned
ironcreed said:
This is probably one of the most beautiful game worlds I can recall seeing. I mean, it looks like something straight out of a painting in many of the shots you are putting up.

DSC_0099.jpg
Sarcasm?

That screenshot is.....well, not like a painting....

And I just had my first crash 14 hours in - rushing out of a dungeon, the game tried to auto-save and locked up indefinitely. Had to hard reset the PS3, luckily my saves were OK though.

Lakitu said:
Just wow at the screens, thanks. Is each dungeon unique?

I've seen a couple of remotely similar dungeons (they were both burial barrows with draugrs inside), but so far they've all been pretty diverse. The layouts are really well done too.

Zeliard said:
Beyond that power attack lunge thing, there's no quick backstep or anything like that? Something that lets you control range a bit?

Not that I've seen, unless there's a perk for that I've yet to unlock.

spirity said:
Does anyone know if enemies respawn in dungeons?

I just ran through an old dungeon to check, and all the corpses of the enemies I had killed before were still there, none of them had respawned - however, there were two newly spawned enemies more in-tune with my current level who were not there previously.

ironcreed

Banned
nickbreckon said:
The system is similar to the one in Fallout 3. You're going to hit scenarios and enemies that get pretty tough, and some that make you feel pretty powerful.

Okay, here's a hilarious thing that just now happened to me. More of a unique systemic confluence and less of a real spoiler, but of course don't read if you want to go in 100% fresh.

It was the dead of night and I was trudging west out of Riverwood, winding my way up a small foggy hill and idly lighting plants on fire, when I heard someone screaming in the distance. As I approached the crest of the hill, a roaring campfire lit the unsurprisingly grim scene: a circle of bloodied bodies decorated the threshold of the encampment, the flickering of firelight the only sign of movement.

I approached the periphery of the post and began systematically looting the victims, because that's what you do when you find a murder scene in Skyrim. I stripped the first fellow bare, feeling pretty good about this little find, pocketing gold and a number of other sentimental objects like a thieving undertaker. And then I heard the sabrecat.

Out from behind one of the tents comes this giant goddamn beast, and immediately I'm thinking about running for it. These things are as large as bears and tough as hell, and it was late and I had places to go. Skyrim has taught me not to be insecure about these decisions. Sometimes I am an orc warrior god; sometimes I am just dogmeat.

I'm about to beat feet when my trusty companion, my beloved Nordic battlegirl, shoots the thing in the eyeball with her bow, draws a glowing sword and charges straight for the bastard. Now I'm in for it, because hey, nobody messes with my girlfriend and doesn't at least get shouted at a little. So I grab my greatsword, down a strength potion and sprint forward, fully expecting to be in for a close fight, if not a reload.

And just as I leap into the fray, right as I'm in mid-power swing, a world dragon drops down from out of nowhere, promptly offs the sabrecat with a flick of its wing, picks me up in its jaws and throws me a hundred yards to my death.

I'm calling that a night.

Oh yes, this game will be glorious.

spirity

Bootaaay said:
I just ran through an old dungeon to check, and all the corpses of the enemies I had killed before were still there, none of them had respawned - however, there were two newly spawned enemies more in-tune with my current level who were not there previously.

Thanks Bootaaay. Do you know how long ago you cleared that dungeon, was it more than 3 days? I -think- there was a 3 day respawn timer on some of the mobs in Fallout.

spirity said:
Thanks Bootaaay. Do you know how long ago you cleared that dungeon, was it more than 3 days? I -think- there was a 3 day respawn timer on some of the mobs in Fallout.

Yeah, it was definitely over 3 days, as I went back to the first major dungeon I encountered in the game.

ironcreed

Banned
Guys, what I mean is that some of the scenery looks like something you would see in a painting. I am not talking about uber graphics, even though I think the game looks great on that front as well. I am simply talking about the art and design of the world in general. Scenes like this definitely look like something you might see in a painting or in some nice photography.

DSC_0101.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
Piercedveil said:
Oblivion did have some strange glitches, even if not game breaking..

2011-07-24_00002.jpg

I would be terrified if I came across that at night time in the game. I can just picture it walking like that like some silent hill shit and saying one of the canned responses from the game like "hey there!" when I walked by.

ironcreed

Banned
piratepwnsninja said:
Bootaaay's screens (sorry Bootaaay) aren't what one should use was a barometer for graphical quality. They are off-screen images.

I hear you. I am merely talking about the scenery in general.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Does the PS3 version have subtitles?

EDIT: Is it 'do' or 'does' ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom