• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Thoraxes

Seriously, everything about this game seems wonderful, but whether or not the control options will be acceptable remains a mystery.

I'm extremely lefty (unlike others who claim to adapt fine with Wii controls and whatnot), but I'm buying this game Day 1. I plan post my thoughts on the controls for those who'd like another perspective.

We're asking for elaboration.

The face buttons become your d-pad.

It's super configurable:

i028kCJ6xsq3G.jpg

OmegaZero

The circle pad pro can only do what the circle pad on the system does. I don't think there's a way to map it to something different from the circle pad on the system.

Wha?
MGS3D has you moving with the Circle Pad and aiming with the face buttons unless you use the CPP, which allows for analog aiming (although it's really slippery and imprecise analog aiming).

Tyeforce

Why doesn't someone with the game, you know...check the manual? Everyone has been saying that the Circle Pad Pro is only used for lefties, but I don't think I've read a single report that has actually tried it out. Can't we settle this by just looking at the manual? This game has a digital manual, right? I know the physical one is just a small foldout.

Boney

Banned
Why doesn't someone with the game, you know...check the manual? Everyone has been saying that the Circle Pad Pro is only used for lefties, but I don't think I've read a single report that has actually tried it out. Can't we settle this by just looking at the manual? This game has a digital manual, right? I know the physical one is just a small foldout.

Because Sakurai has explicitely said that CPP support is for lefties and not a dual analog option.

branny

Thank you, FoxHimself. :)

It'll be a while before people become comfortable enough with the game to determine if certain schemes objectively work better than others, but what you posted is perfect for now.

Tyeforce

Because Sakurai has explicitely said that CPP support is for lefties and not a dual analog option.
Ah, okay, hadn't heard that myself. Oh well, stylus controls are more precise anyway, using dual analog would be handicapping yourself.

sfried

I liked the way the new medusa video looked. 2d animation with 3d layers looks really nice.
I agree. some of the effects looks like flat animated polygons but the result looks very pleasing and much better than post-processed 3D stuff (i.e. Doctor Lautrec).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This is exhibit A on Sakurai's crappy enemy design.
Exhibit B is all of Subspace Emissary.

Someone didn't play the original Kid Icarus :p

Edit: CONFIG SCREENS? *Splooge* Seriously. Turning aim assist and homing shots off and reconfiguring controls and

Edit #2: Also I now know why I want a 3DS.

Busaiku

So it's not possible to start the very first level at 9.0 from the onset?
You've gotta beat it at least once and collect Hearts?

OmegaZero

What exactly are the on-foot controls? Like Metroid Prime Hunters?

Circle Pad to move, L to shoot, stylus on screen to aim, dashing is handled like SSB with quick flicks of the Circle Pad.
Turns are handled through sideways flicks on the touchscreen, IIRC.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Holy shit the Sakurai video on the eShop sold me on this game, seems fucking massive for an original portable game and although I my interest dropped when I first heard (and looked at) of ground combat now I might do a 180º here. Damn it looks very cool.

massoluk

Banned
Ahh didn't even notice the OP was updated.

Though he just dumped the song composers list up there with no context whatsoever ;p

Tyeforce

Ahh didn't even notice the OP was updated.

Though he just dumped the song composers list up there with no context whatsoever ;p
And Super Smash Bros. Brawl isn't listed under two of them when all five worked on Brawl, lol. Not that it matters much because it's not a full list of their works, but it's just odd and inconsistent that it's listed under three but not the other two. Not his fault, though, as he was just quoting someone else.

KarmaCow

Yes, it's exactly the same. It's obviously very tongue-in-cheek and self-aware but I guess that's not for everyone. I believe you can turn off the dialogue in-game.

Thank god Sakurai loves putting so many options into the game because yea that stuff almost makes me regret preordering the game.

jacksrb

***Having not played the game***

It seems like that although dual analog would be fine for the flying parts, I understand that you can use the stylist to quick turn, etc. that are important beyond just moving the reticule. Not that it couldn't be supported (like using the abxy buttons), but it seems like it would put you at a disadvantage anyway.

Chesskid1

Banned
still really nervous abotu this game cause i'm left handed and i do not want a CPP for one game. been flip flopping all this time, so worried about controls.

why must i be left handed?!!?

From hands on impressions of the final code I hear only one complain: Controls.

That's definitely the one issue that keeps coming up, but on this forum most often from people that haven't played the game. The majority of reviews/impressions that I've read from people that have spent a lot of time with the game make them sound like they have a learning curve and then they click.

Lausebub

Banned
I just saw the new consol.AT, they gave the single player an 87 and the multiplayer something lower...still over 80, though, just can't remember the number excactly.

Just read his conlcusion. He would've liked to give it a 90, but the ground levels were a bit boring, he said. The stand is definitely recommended, unless you want to get cramps, but he didn't criticize the game for that.

Can't wait to get it, it just looks like are really nice game, it has this Nintendo feel in it, even though I've seen screens and vids. Sakurai has learned a lot from Shiggy, but still has his own style and really tries to put everything he plans to implement into the final game.

That's definitely the one issue that keeps coming up, but on this forum most often from people that haven't played the game. The majority of reviews/impressions that I've read from people that have spent a lot of time with the game make them sound like they have a learning curve and tgen they click.

The success of many games depends on how easy a game is to pickup and play. Many of my friends are casual gamers and wont spend more then a few minutes trying to figure out unique controls before giving up. If the casual market doesn't embrace this game then we won't see a lot of sales for it. IMO of course.

Neiteio

image.php

OK, I normally don't do this, but who is she? I suspect she's from one of those hyper annoying nine-member all-girl J-pop bands. And yet, I can't look awayyyyyy.

Back to KIU, the enemies look like a charming assortment of yokai-inspired ghoulies, with just the right amount of abstraction and Nintendo charm. No concerns there. Love the dialogue too (Mel Brooks Hydra!).

Only worry are the controls. Glad to see they're extremely customizable -- those screenshots FoxHimself posted showing all the different configurations should be in the OP if they aren't already. Once you find the right setup, I suppose it's just a matter of learning the game's rhythm so you don't over-exert your hand. That, and take breaks!

guek

Banned
I just saw the new consol.AT, they gave the single player an 87 and the multiplayer something lower...still over 80, though, just can't remember the number excactly.

Just read his conlcusion. He would've liked to give it a 90, but the ground levels were a bit boring, he said. The stand is definitely recommended, unless you want to get cramps, but he didn't criticize the game for that.

Can't wait to get it, it just looks like are really nice game, it has this Nintendo feel in it, even though I've seen screens and vids. Sakurai has learned a lot from Shiggy, but still has his own style and really tries to put everything he plans to implement into the final game.

A solid mid to high 80s average would be great.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
That's definitely the one issue that keeps coming up, but on this forum most often from people that haven't played the game. The majority of reviews/impressions that I've read from people that have spent a lot of time with the game make them sound like they have a learning curve and tgen they click.

I'm not talking for people who haven't played the game. Controls are weird and difficult, it's like trying to replace WiiMote with touch screen, but you have to live with them.

Top Bottom