• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny may require co-op play for end-game activities (Story can be completed solo)

.hacked

as long as you only need 2 I am game, was planing to play with my bro (got 2 PS4 for just that reason).

Tusk

So, they're gonna make them so hard that you have to work with people? :p I'm cool with that, never planned on playing alone anyway.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't see why it wouldn't be in place for raids as well.

(Obviously expecting a level requirement as well)

This game has been billed from the start as a shooter with MMO aspects.

Would you expect games like WoW to make SP versions of every dungeon and raid too?

smr00

Banned
Oh, but they will. There will be ringing of hands and nashing of teeth and cries of entitlement.

Really though, it sounds like end game content. They specially said the core experience will be soloable. If they want to add some extra challenging content that requires group play then I see no reason to cry about it,
Yeah, how fucking dare those assholes want to play solo. Bungie said you can solo it, play it like a single player game and now it may require coop? Tough fucking cookie dough, better not whine!

Trigger

A little lame, but not unexpected in a game based around teamwork. So long as I can find a good group it shouldn't be an issue.

Milennia

as long as you only need 2 I am game, was planing to play with my bro (got 2 PS4 for just that reason).

Says 5 in the quote.

But its always going recommend the max number of players.

2 manning some of the bosses when they recommend 5 would mean needing the top gear and specced properly etc. maybe even specific classes or gimmicks would be needed.

smr00

Banned
I hope you never declined to purchase a game because there was no co-op or multiplayer aspect.

I know that it stresses the limits of your cognitive abilities, but people do have healthy social lives and prefer to play singleplayer games
Nope. Don't like MP? You are anti-social, you don't have friends and you hate fun.

Seriously, i just have absolutely 0 interest in MP in 99% of games of this is one of them. I would rather play it solo.

kiguel182

I´m fine with this as long as there's an easy way to find a group for those who don't have 5 friends with the game to play with.

iJudged

Banned
I wish there are factions, us vs. them, you pick when creating a player for pvp like in wow, rift etc...

I am excited about this game in particular and The Division.

2San

Yeah, how fucking dare those assholes want to play solo. Bungie said you can solo it, play it like a single player game and now it may require coop? Tough fucking cookie dough, better not whine!
Well you can play it like a solo game. Still this is primarily a Co-op/MP game so it will have content exclusive to that is that so hard to understand? I don't go in to threads about SP games and demand MP or co-op.

Did you even read the first post? It's optional end game content. The core experience can still be done solo. So yeah, stop whining!'

Ricker

This will not bode well for people who strictly want to go through the missions alone.

Yeah,kinda like the my Story missions in GW2,where you could do all of them solo but the last one you needed 5 players and was ridiculously hard...pissed me off so much,I stopped playing.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Well isn't it online only? Why would you even play this game solo.

Zakalwe

Banned
Wait what? Why do you think I'm against coop?

Sorry, I'm confused.

What do you mean by the seamless transition between MP and SP being available for "raid" type content too?

Yeah,kinda like the my Story missions in GW2,where you could do all of them solo but the last one you needed 5 players and was ridiculously hard...pissed me off so much,I stopped playing.

That's not what's happening here. The co-op content is end game, which means it'll be post story and optional.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. There will be solo missions and there will be co-op missions. Why is that a bad thing? If you don't want to do one, just do the other.

Oh my god cancel your pre order you fuckin whiners
Lol glad this post came 3 posts in. There will definitely be a shit storm now as well as when the game comes out regardeless of what we do though. There will probably be a couple reviewers who complain about end game being too hard too. Whiners gonna whine unfortunately.

While the game has been asvertised as a co op experience first and foremost, the main chunk of the "campaign" has already been confirmed to be soloable and easy. If you just want to experience the story you should be fine.

I hope you never declined to purchase a game because there was no co-op or multi player
How is this even relevant? Destiny isn't multiplayer only. The game has a full solo campaign and people are still whining. Either way yeah. If a game doesn't appeal to me I don't buy it. I don't complain about madden cause it doesn't have enough dragons in it.

Alienous

Peace Walker did this shit hard. The penultimate boss had an insta-death move that, no matter what I used, I could not stop. Right at the very end.

No Online CO-OP, so I ended up buying another copy for my brother's PSP just so I could get past it.

Havok

As a side note, this is all originally from GameInformer's interview with Jason Jones that spawned a short-lived thread. They've got new Destiny coverage going up every few days.

There wasn't a thread about it that I can find, but there was also recently an interview with Bungie's Tyson Green on designing the RPG elements of Destiny, including how they were influenced by Monster Hunter and Dark Souls.

The Bungie guy goes to great lengths to avoid saying "raid."
I don't see why he would need to avoid it, considering that's what they're called in Destiny.

Milennia

Sorry, I'm confused.

What do you mean by the seamless transition between MP and SP being available for "raid" type content too?

That's not what's happening here. The co-op content is end game, which means it'll be post story and optional.

If they implement a system for seamless matchmaking (essentially drop in and drop out) then i dont see why they wouldn't implement the same system for raids, except with a level requirement.
(Im not going to say ilvl or anything like that as they haven't said anything on the subject yet)

Obviously if you want to have a better chance at completing the content you could play as a pre formed group, in which hopefully the content will be harder.

anddo0

Again: why do you expect to solo ALL content in a game built around co-op play?

You will be able to solo the campaign, but they're adding co-op only missions which will be like an MMO's dungeon or raid.

This game isn't for you if you want a purely 100% solo experience. It was never going to be that. It's enough that they'll be allowing SP completion of the main campaign.

As long as I can solo the campaign. Fine.

I wasn't going to cancel my pre-order or anything. It's just that sometimes its hard to find people to co-op with.

WarMacheen

379ch.gif=

Will buy at discount, or if it reviews well, possibly around launch.

Most random games online for shooters have shitty people with shitty attitudes. Case in point;

How is this even relevant? Destiny isn't multiplayer only. The game has a full solo campaign and people are still whining. Either way yeah. If a game doesn't appeal to me I don't buy it. I don't complain about madden cause it doesn't have enough dragons in it.

Floex

Has any media even shown the SP? I don't know why people are expecting solo play when nothing of the sort has been shown.

Omega

Banned
What if you don't have five other people?

Most of my friends "play games" but they don't actually play games, they just buy them, look at the splash screen and never load up the game ever again.

I assume Destiny will be no different

Milennia

Most of my friends "play games" but they don't actually play games, they just buy them, look at the splash screen and never load up the game ever again.

Thats why they are trying to implement the seamless matchmaking.

iJudged

Banned

What? Why?

Has any media even shown the SP? I don't know why people are expecting solo play when nothing of the sort has been shown.

Because the developers have told us that it has it? My reasoning for expecting it.

This isn't a deal-breaker for me though. Just pushes it somewhat back in the list of games I'm probably going to buy if at some point I NEED to group up with others. I was picturing more like Halo 3 co-op. Where you 'could' tackle the entire game with 3 others, but at no point did you 'have to'.

You could play with random players too. You won't have the same coordination as a pre made group though.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
I always thought that this game had sorta like Guild Wars 2 or Defiance grouping. You just kinda do the mission and than go your own way. Either way I always knew from the first video that it was focusing on co-op, which I don't mind.

Zakalwe

Banned
If they implement a system for seamless matchmaking (essentially drop in and drop out) then i dont see why they wouldn't implement the same system for raids, except with a level requirement.
(Im not going to say ilvl or anything like that as they haven't said anything on the subject yet)

Obviously if you want to have a better chance at completing the content you could play as a pre formed group, in which hopefully the content will be harder.

Right, gotcha.

I'm pretty sure they'll add a matchmaking system for this, I doubt you'll be forced to add friends and build pre-mades or rely on statics.

Tabby

Expected.
Disappointed.
I hope they at least compromise for players who prefer to play alone.
When I play a game I prefer to play alone, not wait for friends to go online so I can play with them.

At least I can play through the rest of the game just fine by myself.

Yep. I realise people may want to solo this, but it seems like the main appeal of any bunie game is multiplayer. Playing Halo without co-op sucks, and I imagine this will be the same.

Halo 1 through Reach are great sp games though, especially on higher difficulty.

Bungie for some idiotic reason locked online co-op to friends only (no matchmaking).

Aesthet1c

End game raiding in my Destiny? Yes please.

Raiding end game content with my friends in WoW is one of my favorite gaming experiences. I would love to see this in Destiny.

Top Bottom