• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking news: Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD being localized

-Around 10 new heartless
One new Heartless, nine alternate versions of existing Heartless that are defeated via specific actions.

-Old heartless have their designs changed
They are simply recolored, mostly to their detriment.

-A bunch of new cutscenes
Mostly uninteresting, to be honest.

-2 new weapons for each of the characters
-10 new abilities
-Keyblade balance changes
-Character balance changes (Sora loses STR & DEF, but has more AP)
-Around 10 new accessories were added
These are good changes, though! Diamond Dust Keyblade is beast.

KH1 has the shortcut button, so you can have 3 spells accessible at all times. I wish they used the jump button for a 4th command like KH2, then it would have been enough for all the important magic...
Four would be great, but I'd be happiest if I could put items and summons on shortcut. Tinkerbell, Elixir, Curaga, and Aeroga would get me through nearly anything in the game.

Fire can be rapid-fired (heh), causing massive damage.
Gravity and Thunder clear whole areas.
Stop can save you and cripple all enemies at the same time.

The only bad magic is Blizzard, but even that is strong against fire-based enemies.

I used to ignore most magic in the english version, but after getting my ass handed to me in Final Mix I started using advanced magic more and now I never take Stop and Gravity out of my shortcuts.

One new Heartless, nine alternate versions of existing Heartless that are defeated via specific actions.
The only ones that are alternatives are the giant shadow and the stealth soldier. 3 of them are completely new, and the rest have the same appearence theme of their family but behave completely different.

Narolf

Banned
Magic is crazy awesome in KH1, I'm not sure which game you played.

And I'm not sure what you have read. I said most spells are useless, not that they aren't "awesome". Seda seemed to have fun using them. Doesn't change the fact you can run through the whole game without using anything but Cura and Aero, let alone for the two secret bosses.

And I'm not sure what you have read. I said most spells are useless, not that they aren't "awesome". Seda seemed to have fun using them. Doesn't change the fact you can run through the whole game without using anything but Cura and Aero, let alone for the two secret bosses.

To be quite fair, that's partly because Donald is handling that end of things for you throughout a lot of the game. Donald's Thundaga spamming ends up clearing plenty of Coliseum battles faster than Sora can.

Narolf

Banned
That's true. Donald's Thundaga is almost as useful as Goofy's ability to share MPs with his allies. Still, I always set their behavior on support.

Final Mix also adds:

-Around 10 new heartless
-Old heartless have their designs changed
-2 new weapons for each of the characters
-10 new abilities
-A bunch of new cutscenes
-Keyblade balance changes
-Character balance changes (Sora loses STR & DEF, but has more AP)
-Around 10 new accessories were added

Don't forget new difficulty setting, new Ansem reports, new optional boss battle, option to skip cutscenes and new gummi stuff :D.

Final Mix changes+HD version changes make this imo very worthwile game to replay. I am looking foreward to this HD remaster cause it actually adds bunch of new stuff (IF we get the FM version that is :lol).

sappyday

Don't forget new difficulty setting, new Ansem reports, new optional boss battle, option to skip cutscenes and new gummi stuff :D.

Final Mix changes+HD version changes make this imo very worthwile game to replay. I am looking foreward to this HD remaster cause it actually adds bunch of new stuff (IF we get the FM version that is :lol).
I'm pretty sure we are. I mean its a great opportunity since the reason they didn't localize the FM versions is because they think it will sell very little. The HD remake is a good enough reason for them to finally ship.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Indeed. I can't wait to get my hands on the game. I'm glad that I am going to watch the 356/2 movie since I lost my motivation to finishing up the game.

Roubjon

I think it's pretty awesome that I'll finally be able to play this version 10 years later. I used to drool over anything Kingdom Hearts when it first came out and always thought it was crazy that Japan had a better version of the first game with new bosses and stuff.

Seriously can't wait for the nostalgia coming my way.

Seda

You mean changes from 'vanilla' Kingdom Hearts to Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix?

As in a list useful to people only familiar with the NTSC version of Kingdom Hearts with all of the changes they will see in this PS3 version, including the Final Mix changes and the PS3 version changes...

Narolf

Banned
You mean changes from 'vanilla' Kingdom Hearts to Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix?

As in a list useful to people only familiar with the NTSC version of Kingdom Hearts with all of the changes they will see in this PS3 version, including the Final Mix changes and the PS3 version changes...
Just re-worded the title. Thanks for the head-up.

Andrefpvs

• In addition to HD visuals, there are some changes with the character models and textures.
  • English voices are reverted back to Japanese voices.
  • Trophy support.
  • A custom theme is available once you finish the game.
  • Abilities such as EXP Zero, gives you no experience gained, and Combo Master, lets you perform combos with interruption, added.
  • You use the right analog stick for camera controls. R3 reverts the camera to default position.
  • Some special actions like "Talk" are utilized with triangle.
  • Magic and Summon are each given a separate command.
  • Around 10 new heartless.
  • Old heartless have their designs changed.
  • 2 new weapons for each of the characters.
  • 10 new abilities.
  • A bunch of new cutscenes.
  • Keyblade balance changes.
  • Character balance changes (Sora loses STR & DEF, but has more AP).
  • Around 10 new accessories were added.
  • New difficulty setting.
  • New Ansem reports.
  • New optional boss battles.
  • Option to skip cutscenes.
  • New Gummi stuff.
  • New version of Dearly Beloved.
Courtesy of Andrefpvs, PK Gaming, Napalm_Frank and CyelTynave.

Cool stuff, this is very handy!

• In addition to HD visuals, there are some changes with the character models and textures.
  • Trophy support.
  • Abilities such as EXP Zero, gives you no experience gained, and Combo Master, lets you perform combos with interruption, added.
  • You use the right analog stick for camera controls. R3 reverts the camera to default position.
  • 10 new abilities.
  • New Ansem reports.
  • New Gummi stuff.

Should mention that Item Synthesis has been expanded from the initial US PS2 release as well.

Might be worth mentioning that you only get the option to skip cutscenes if you've already viewed the scene at least once, as well.

RPGCrazied

I just wish we could get some sort of official announcement, and a date wouldn't hurt either. Isn't it coming out next month in Japan?

• Trophy support.
  • 10 new abilities.
  • New Ansem reports.
  • New Gummi stuff.

321362382158439961.gif

Marvelous. THIS, my friend is how you do an HD remake! Add some new stuff, remove the things that held the previous one back, polish it up a bit, and release!

This is probably Square Enix's only saving grace right about now.

Seda

321362382158439961.gif

Marvelous. THIS, my friend is how you do an HD remake! Add some new stuff, remove the things that held the previous one back, polish it up a bit, and release!

This is probably Square Enix's only saving grace right about now.

Well some of those additions were in Final Mix, but included in the list because they're 'new' to west.

Well some of those additions were in Final Mix, but included in the list because they're 'new' to west.

The key word being "some" in that statement! They're really going the extra mile to have this being released in NA as well as have some new stuff added to this.

They may not be releasing Versus, but at least they're doing SOMETHING worthwhile. Especially for me, since I've never played the first Kingdom Hearts. I watched all the cutscenes on Youtube to get what the story was about.

I'm telling you, as much as I love this series, I think it should have ended at II like everyone else does. The only thing that actually made me care about the plot in this game was the question: "Does Sora meet up with Kairi and Riku again?" after the first game's bittersweet ending. And he does! In KH 2! Is that the end? NO! Let's put all this other junk into the franchise and give it as much sense as the Star Wars prequels! But to be fair, BBS was a very nice prequel in terms of story, but even then it should have ended with the three having no chance of returning to the franchise to make it seem somewhat tragic and heartwarming to see the friendship the trio has from the first game as some kind of reincarnation.

I know I'm ranting here, but how did a franchise about the stretched friendship between three friends become a swirling torrent of
time travel
, evil clones, and all this other stuff that makes poorly written fanfiction feel ashamed!

Top Bottom