• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Apple users are about to find out how fucking annoying it is to have to use your face to unlock your phone in every instance.

If I wasn't able to use both the fingerprint and iris scanner simultaneously on my S8, I'd have probably disabled the iris scanner already.

this is very different. Face ID seems to work very quickly. He did it twice back to back and it was quick

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
256gb space grey

im in

Same.

Now I need to decide which Space Gray AW3 to get... I want to match, and the Ceramic Black is clearly the best looking model... but it's so damn expensive.

Aleh

I love the white back. I really love the design and I don't mind the notch since the front is always black. I prefer it to both the MiMix2 and the S8 and Note 8.
It's an absolute monster.

Soybean

Seeing the notch during photo and video viewing was worse than the moment Donald Trump became president. Truly the most painful revelation of this generation.

The red dot on the Apple Watch crown is a close second.

iphonex_hero.jpg

P9122030.jpg

P9122040.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Be like me and get the ceramic so I don’t feel alone

I have a SS Series 0... that thing was like $800+ 2.5 years ago and now I probably couldn't sell it for $150.

But, then again, I think I'll use this new one a lot more.

So, fingerprint scanning will be officially dead for all future iPhones?

Or do you think they'll still try to get it under the glass somehow?

EDIT - I'd like to see them get the cameras under the glass first - get rid of all the bezels. But not sure if possible.

noomi

I wonder if a chimp eats your face, if FaceID will still work.

In before the iPhone X is racist because it won't unlock for people with dark complexion or black people.

What a bummer, I like the look and design of the phone, but FaceID really turns me off.

ronco2000

Na I'm gonna buy it, thanks for the input tho.

So you rather be broke. Not able to go out and hang with friends. Not able to buy Xmas presents for friends and family. Eat ramen all day. As long you have greatest phone (in your mind) then all that doesn't matter. SMH.

//DEVIL//

Me Mix 2 is way better and cheaper.

xiaomi-mi-mix-2-hero.jpg

agreed.

I mean. I know its different OS and all but cmon. that price.. is it real ? a fucking 1000$ for the base model ? that isn't including tax. so it can be replaced next Sept. this is not a laptop where you buy one and keep it for years.

and that stupid thing on top that is covering the screen. that is very horrible idea. imagine watching a youtube video and you cant see from that side because its covered.. like seriously... super horrible.

doesn't include the fact this is an OLED screen. uneven white balance, grid patterns on dark colors like dark gray ... uneven color, pinkish or yellowish or blueish from one side and not the other.

with the mass quality they gonna make. people will play the lottery for a good phone if they are half OCD even.

since I am very OCD about stuff like that and prefer an IPS screen ( I mean, even high quality gaming monitors are IPS screens lol ) this phone is a no go for me at all.

I wonder if a chimp eats your face, if FaceID will still work.

In before the iPhone X is racist because it won't unlock for people with dark complexion or black people.

What a bummer, I like the look and design of the phone, but FaceID really turns me off.

It uses IR, so skin color shouldn't matter. This also lets it function in the dark/low light.

Previous Android phones had that issue, btw.

this is very different. Face ID seems to work very quickly. He did it twice back to back and it was quick

It's not the speed that's the issue. The iris scanner is super quick.

However.

The first time a frequent apple pay user realises they have to look at their screen, watch for the unlock icon, swipe up and then present the phone, instead of just presenting the phone with their finger on the fingerprint scanner, they'll realise it's bullshit.

There are LOTS of times where you want your phone to be unlocked and not have to want to look at it first.

Wolfie5

If we put the pricing aside for a minute.
I can´t put my finger on it, but something about it... I am just not feeling it.

It´s not the notch, I think.
It looks a bit clumsy... I don´t know, I think I need to see more videos on it hands on.

First impression is not as good as I was expecting it to look.

3N16MA

Banned
Looks great. However 64GB at a starting price of $1,319 CAD is kind of ridiculous. At least start at 128GB or better yet just a single SKU at 256GB at $1,319 CAD.

64GB iPhone 6 was under $1,000 a few years ago.

Edit: Looking back at exchange rates from 2014 and the CAD was stronger which makes up for some of the difference. I still rather they start at 128GB or 256GB.

avaya

Anyone in the UK whose employer has a Vodafone contract should ask them for the discount code for personal employee purchases. You could save 20% on the subsidised plan. That's 20% of the RRP off the phone, brings a 256GB X to GBP920.

Ashhong

It's not the speed that's the issue. The iris scanner is super quick.

However.

The first time a frequent apple pay user realises they have to look at their screen, watch for the unlock icon, swipe up and then present the phone, instead of just presenting the phone with their finger on the fingerprint scanner, they'll realise it's bullshit.

There are LOTS of times where you want your phone to be unlocked and not have to want to look at it first.

Looks like you double press the button, the face id unlocks it almost instantly, and then you just put it to the pay terminal. Why is that so hard? It's probably the exact same motion as it is currently, unless you do everything in your pocket and pay without ever looking at the screen

Maybe I'll get it, not entirely sure as of now. I have yet to watch the keynote but I did get a significant pay raise so maybe I'll just treat myself. I'm not sorry to see the home button go - though I'll miss touch ID somewhat. 3D touch is still in though, right? That's the one thing I'd have trouble departing with. I'm hoping the rear cameras got a decent boost in IQ as well.

Top Bottom