• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you know how to handwrite (cursive) in English? Use it often?

Not

Banned
My normal handwriting isn't cursive, but it turned into chickenscratch in college-- the real quickest way to write!™.

I made it into a font a while ago:

Y4himGS.png

probably 80% of the handwriting I have done in the last 5 years or so has been filling out an occasional check

My normal handwriting isn't cursive, but it turned into chickenscratch in college-- the real quickest way to write!™.

I made it into a font a while ago:

Y4himGS.png

hey that's pretty good

Geist-

I learned in 2nd grade and only use it for my signature. Any letter not included in my name has been forgotten though.

Zyrox

Yea, like many others I learned cursive in elementary school. Never use it anymore though. Used it a bit after I'd learned it but my handwriting was (and is) so terrible that my teachers were like "print, please, we can't read this anymore." one day. So from then on I just used print.

L95

I've the typical story where I learned it in elementary, was told I had to use it in middle school and high school. When I got to HS/MS teachers told us no cursive allowed for papers, typed preferred, so it goes. I only use it for my signature now.

I use it daily to write notes down.

It's faster than printing and taking notes in a meeting on a phone would be slower, take more time to find the notes back and look like I'm playing with my phone.

Now, if I need to write something down that needs to be pasted integrally, I'll type that in a file.

in south america cursive is king. when i moved here it was all print and had to learn to write in print lol. i still write in cursive but only things for me, like notes and stuff. when people look at what i'm writing they usually can't read it

GamerJM

Banned
I was taught it in elementary school, forgot, then I basically spent a year on once a week after-school classes learning it AGAIN when I was in the fourth grade as part of a handwriting program I was in because of dysgraphia, and then I forgot probably a couple years after that and to this day still don't remember the majority of it, though I'm pretty sure it's stuck in my brain somewhere.

I actually find reading cursive to be harder than writing it despite my dysgraphia, though. I don't know why, I feel like cursive penmanship varies even more than print penmanship does and so often I can't distinguish what letter is what.

I write my signature in cursive and for some reason whenever I write the dollar amount out on a check I always do it in cursive (although I don't write many checks these days).

For everything else I don't use it. I used it through high school but once I got to college I pretty much stopped using it regularly.

I think one of the things that turned me off to it was that I think my parents' generation were taught to write in cursive differently than my generation was. So often when I'd use it older people would misinterpret or have a hard time reading what I wrote (even some teachers). I have good handwriting in general so when I use regular print lettering it's easily legible.

Herne

Fountain pens! God, I forgot about them. My primary school (ages 4-12) insisted we use them, though I can't remember at what age we started using them. I remember, unlike everyone else, I was able to use the same fountain pen throughout my time at the school. Biros were forbidden, and if you got caught using them you'd get in trouble. Keep in mind this was 80's Ireland and the school was run by the church. The remaining nuns were ageing and half the teaching staff were not a part of the church.

The nuns lived in a convent next to the church just down the road, and they had orphans being taken care of. One of them was in our class, and she was always short of cartridges for her fountain pen, so she was always borrowing them. I remember the principal (a nun, naturally) found out, bought a large box of cartridges and frogmarched her down to the class where it was announced that she would give everyone back what was owed. I'll never forget the look on the poor girl's face as she went around person to person.

Everyone was always wanting for cartridges, since we were usually writing all day long. It's been many years since I've used one. I remember them being quite messy, at least in our young hands. Secondary school (ages 13-18) used biro pens which was a godsend - you could write much faster with them. Of course that just meant people kept running out of ink and needed new pens constantly.

Yes I know it. I'm 38 and I remember learning it in like 1st or 2nd grade...I don't remember which exactly. Do I use it though nowadays? Apart from my signature, nope.

Pretty standard to be taught it when i was young here in UK. However i basically never have to write anything so my handwriting just looks like the scrawlings of a madman.

I learned it in elementary, but never use it. As a lefty, my writing gets smeared enough without a style that doesn't let me take the pen off the page. Even my signature is technically cursive, but it's basically just scribbles with the only legible letters being my initials.

Jisgsaw

MAn, this thread has really be a revelation... I think less than 10% of people I know (well, those I saw writing at least) use print letters, almost everybody uses cursive. Probably because this is the only thing we were taught.
Would be interesting to know the country for each group.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I write nearly exclusively in cursive. Even when I write in block letters, they end up being half cursive, anyway.

finley83

Banned
Don't hand write much at work but it was invaluable when taking hand written professional exams over the last few years. Surprising how much faster you can write in cursive, really makes a difference under time pressure.

I've used it until like two years ago or so to have my handwriting be a bit more legible and not having to think as much when required to write in block letters.

Learned it back in elementary and use it for when I write personal notes. It's a lot faster than writing in print.

Although if someone else has to read whatever it is I'm writing then I write in print.

Tyaren

When I write something by hand it is always in cursive style. I learned it in school (Germany here) and I kept it. I think most people here actually do from what I noticed.
So it's not a thing in the US?

Media

This thread is blowing my mind. I'm only 35. I thought everyone was taught it and print, and then settled into their own version of a mix of the two. They taught my 12 year cursive but not my 14 or 9 year old.

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
I'm 27 and I learned cursive in 3rd grade, but I don't use it much outside of singing things.

My mom, who was born in 1960, settled on some weird form of half & half + a little chicken scratch thrown in for good measure.

zeemumu

I do and I used to use it for my signature, but then I looked at other people's signatures and realized that they're an unintelligible series of squiggles that vaguely resemble a name so I just assumed that's what signatures were supposed to be and changed it

sirap

Yeah our teacher in Bradford pushed this hard in primary school. I was the only one interested cause I wanted to write like a pirate (I blame Gina Davis).

I still write in cursive, it's the best way imo to write when using fountain pens.

I learned cursive in school of course, but now I can only do it with tremendous difficulty.

When i was in college I took Russian, and we had to use Russian cursive on our homework (the Russian alphabet is a mix of letters that are the same as English and that look the same but make different sounds, eg, p's are r's, r's are g's). So even now my brain switches them up if I try to write in cursive in English.

Of course. I didn't think that was so unusual, though, until I saw the handwriting of school kids/basically anyone under the age of 30 (even their print script is...bad). It's weird to me that such a basic thing is slipping away, but with the prevalence computers/phones/tablets it's not surprising exactly. I think it's important to know, but I'm an oldie.

Dyle

I know how to, but I don't ever. I was taught cursive in 3rd grade and for some reason they forced us to write it entirely with pens. The idea was that after you learned the letterforms you would have to write everything in class for that entire year in cursive in ink. But my handwriting was horrific already and everything I wrote that year turned into a long blob of sinuous lines, to the point that my teacher let me alone write in print for the rest of the year because he couldn't read any of my assignments. Besides my signature, which is basically nonsense out of which you can barely make out my initials, I haven't used it in 15 years and don't expect to ever use it again, since I'd probably have to relearn it entirely before I could write full sentences with it.

I also write my 7s and Zs with lines through the middle because Brain Age wasn't able to read them and it recommended doing that to differentiate them from 1s and Ss.

A lot of that might be on my school district though, as my sister developed this weird callus on the side of one of her fingers because she spent all her life until some point in high school holding pencils incorrectly.

Shiloa

Is Cursive basically "joined up writing"?

I didn't realise that was a thing that was taught. I thought it developed naturally.

jobrro

I was taught it in school and could probably do it somewhat correctly if necessary. These days most of what I write I spend much more time reading over and I find print more legible so I do not use it, I am filling out a form which I would also use print for or I would simply type it on a computer.

I use print for writing and I don't recall the ins and outs of cursive, but what I remember combined with muscle memory might allow me to write some cursive if I needed to.

Top Bottom