• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack new gameplay

GrayFoxPL

This gameplay looks quite better then others. Still pretty long way to go.

ioM5Zp5tWvqHU.gif

iYEv9lw3tQbIh.gif

iEmYvmceKUuz0.gif

I hope the game isn't in alpha considering they have a little over 3 months development before the game goes gold.

The game looks far along gameplay wise, and all those secret bits and easter eggs are already in there.

I hope they spend the next three months just polishing it, especially visually. And I hope some environmental interaction and destruction is part of that

Also they should work on the camera a bit, let it shake a little when big Knack walks, bring it a bit closer to give a sense of scale to the character.

Sojgat

Still looks like a glorified tech demo.

Doesn't seem awful or anything, more like it should come loaded on the console for free.

CREMSteve

Looks great, but the levels just seem so "empty". Some background life, NPCs running around, birds in the sky, wind blowing debris... right now it feels too sterile.

hawk2025

Sold.

I miss these kinds of games, I miss unlockables, I love that it's kind of a throwback to Crash Bandicoot and the golden age of early 3D platformers on the PS1 and PS2.

Brashnir

Loved the look of the game at the press conference, but was waiting to see what kind of actual game it was before getting too excited.

Looks like a lot of fun. I get a bit of a Kameo vibe from it, in addition to the obvious games they references as inspirations.

Looks like I'll be picking this one up at launch.

Graphically, Knack looks better than all those titles. The art is not bad, its the amount of objects in the environment that make it look bland. They need more detailed environments imo.

I think it might be a balancing issue; if there are too many things in the environment, you may get too big too quickly. Maybe.

Most likely not.

Boss Man

+
I really like the character design.

I like the art style.

I like the concept. It's really cool how he builds up throughout the level as you play well and becomes more powerful. Taking damage punishes you by shrinking him down and making him weaker. Very cool mechanic.

-
It seems to be missing something to me. This sounds silly, but it looks like it feels bland. There's like a lack of detail, the environments look like they're just empty spaces to run to the next group of enemies.

It seems like he's just running around and hitting 2-3 enemy encounters at every other corner. Maybe there should be more exploration or puzzle/platforming elements.

I'm not sure what all of the mechanics are like. Do different Knack 'builds' have different mechanics? Does the ice guy have ice moves? Do you unlock and power up moves as you progress? What all is involved in the gameplay? Because in a lot of parts it looks like you just run around and every other corner there's a few enemies to do that jump attack and punch on.

Overall, I definitely have my eye on it because I love the character and the core concept as an introduction to next gen. I like Cerny and I like these kinds of games. I'm just not sure if the gameplay itself is varied enough. Can't tell yet.

+
I really like the character design.

I like the art style.

I like the concept. It's really cool how he builds up throughout the level as you play well and becomes more powerful. Taking damage punishes you by shrinking him down and making him weaker. Very cool mechanic.

-
It seems to be missing something to me. This sounds silly, but it looks like it feels bland. There's like a lack of detail, the environments look like they're just empty spaces to run to the next group of enemies.

It seems like he's just running around and hitting 2-3 enemy encounters at every other corner. Maybe there should be more exploration or puzzle/platforming elements.

I'm not sure what all of the mechanics are like. Do different Knack 'builds' have different mechanics? Does the ice guy have ice moves? Do you unlock and power up moves as you progress? What all is involved in the gameplay? Because in a lot of parts it looks like you just run around and every other corner there's a few enemies to do that jump attack and punch on.

Overall, I definitely have my eye on it because I love the character and the core concept as an introduction to next gen. I like Cerny and I like these kinds of games. I'm just not sure if the gameplay itself is varied enough. Can't tell yet.

This sums it up exactly for me. I love the idea of this game, what it wants to be, but looking at it actually go is a bit underwhelming. Combat looks slow and boring, level design is generic as hell, and platforming seems to have zero challenge. Not very fun looking at the moment. I'd have to see some better video clips or read some really amazing reviews to get me on board.

Looks absolutely boring.

Definitely gonna wait until next fall to get a PS4. There isn't a single title slated for the launch window that looks interesting to me.

Everdred

I'm picking it up at launch but my only complaint is the empty looking environments. Fill those areas with fun objects that use the physics engine when destroyed.

This reminds me of Kameo in the fact that it was ignored on launch but I absolutely loved it.

wildfire

Banned
It doesn't look fun.

You can't absorb various types of debris around you. The debris is preset and zone dependent.

He mentioned it gets more complicated as you deal with more characters but that's true for any brawler. I wouldn't mind how sluggish the brawling looks but there doesn't seem to be enough subtle interactions going on to make the combat interesting.

ymmv

Banned
What the fuck is wrong with youtube? I have it set to 720p, but it looks like 240p.

So it's not me. For the past two weeks I'm have a problem where the majority of 720p/1080p videos play in 360/480p most of the time. It's incredibly annoying. It's not my connection, I've got a 50Mb cable internet connection. I've been reinstalling Flash, changed my firewall settings, etc to no avail.

Jac_Solar

Initial impressions:

The linear gameplay seems to indicate that the growth of the character will be fully directed and up to the designers; as in, upgrades, growth/transformation will be entirely linear, and doled out in accordance with the level design. Upgrades and powerups are mysteriously "well placed", like you get a specific upgrade or power up going into a bossfight, and it turns out that it's exactly what you needed to win. It's basically the same thing as in FPS games when you get a bunch of ammo and weapons just before you enter a bossroom.

That takes all the fun out of this type of game, as you'll merely be following a path that gives you upgrades to overcome obstacles and challenges. The game might allow a tiny bit of freedom through optional items, doing well, so that you may, for example, grow 1% larger or smaller than the average player, but that's almost irrelevant. It's the equivalent of an animal pushing a button to get food (Rewarded.).

In order for such a game to be enjoyable, it needs to be all about the challenge, like how the FPS games of old with this type of design worked. But it doesn't seem like that's a priority at all in this case.

This type of design just doesn't feel right or enjoyable in a linear setting. It would fit very well in a sandbox type of design, though -- as in, make it all about the creativity and freedom.

It is indeed somewhat similar to Katamari, but without the freedom and, seemingly, what made that game unique and enjoyable.

The core game design of this game seems to be basically like this; You roll down a hallway, face a challenge, get an upgrade, roll further down the hallway, face a slightly harder challenge that takes your new upgrade into consideration, get another upgrade, roll further down the hallway, face another challenge that takes both of your upgrades into consideration, and so forth. A lot of games are like that, but have additional stuff going on that obscures that linearity.

spwolf

i kind of feel like they should do more with next gen, like more things on screen, more destruction, etc, something to impress us... maybe demo will help

DaBoss

Holy shit, I thought it looked good since I only seen 2 minutes of gameplay before, but now I seen all of the gameplay and man...it is so underwhelming.

1) I have no issue with fixed cameras, but they couldn't make it move when you go to a new section? It just cuts in from one POV to the next POV.

2) It is EXTREMELY linear along with the fact you really don't have to do much. You're destroying objects and make Knack grow bigger. There doesn't seem to be much of a challenge. There are some nicely hidden secrets though.

3) If this is supposed to be a platformer? If it is, then it has some very weak in platforming to non-existant platforming.

4) Lastly, this is a personal thing, it doesn't look fun.

The whole Knack concept of making Knack composed of different stuff is a neat concept, but there is very little substance outside of that. Extremely disappointed since Knack was possibly the most interesting game at the PS4 reveal.

It looks like decent enough fun but, I gotta be honest, it reminds me most of the Werehog sections from Sonic Unleashed. The camera work, gameplay sytle, and even some of the art seems very Werehog.

Exactly. Unleashed is honestly a more interesting, better looking game at this point. I love vibrant platformers, but Knack is looking like an early last-gen effort so far, and not a very interesting one at that. Having played Knack, they feel 1 to 1 identical too, it was uncanny. Even down to the weighted, lumbering movement.

All that said, I'll still be getting this day one. I'll be damned if I don't support Sony's decision to make a launch day next-gen platformer.

The gameplay looks DIRE.
People comparing it to werehog gameplay are insulting sonic unleashed, werehog levels gameplay was bad but not nearly this shitty

I don't get how this didn't get cancelled when they did their first prototypes, they must have seen that the gameplay just isn't there...

JordanN

Banned
This gameplay looks quite better then others. Still pretty long way to go.

ioM5Zp5tWvqHU.gif
Is that per object motion blur near the end? I remember being impressed by the first post processing effects when Knack was first revealed. It's even better seeing it in gameplay.

I also think this confirms Ambient Occlusion (look at where the snow meets the walls when Knack gets closer to a light source).

zeopower6

I don't get how this didn't get cancelled when they did their first prototypes, they must have seen that the gameplay just isn't there...

Probably because there's more to it than just the demos. If not, then Cerny abandoned his usual game-design method where you'd cancel if it didn't work after the first level. :/

Sorry, but it looks boring beyond belief and after seeing what else is coming it doesn't even look next ten at all. I get that you can't do the particles and other stuff on current gen, but the environments looked terrible, small and cramped. It really doesn't feel next gen to me at the moment.

Zaventem

The gameplay looks DIRE.
People comparing it to werehog gameplay are insulting sonic unleashed, werehog levels gameplay was bad but not nearly this shitty

LOL It's first gen software so it's expected you'll have one awful tech demo video game.

Joeki11a

Banned
Why wasnt this packed in with every Ps4?
In the way gaming is today a game like this gets lost in all the shooters/3rd person massive games.

Top Bottom