• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

casiopao

All this PL team defence is really one of a kind lol.^^ Why won't ur guys team ever throw some money on proper defender rather than keep wasting money on striker here.

Sciel

Lmao. And utd gonna overtake liverpool in the top 4 soon too.
Guess Mourinho is going to get that Champion spot huh lol.^^
Its tough to say but even with this result, Man Utd's best chance at a UCL spot is probably still winning the Europa League.
The fixtures they have are just brutal & come in quick succession of each other. Comparatively, all other teams going for the Top 4 have relatively easy fixtures (and also no European commitments).

ElyrionX

Its tough to say but even with this result, Man Utd's best chance at a UCL spot is probably still winning the Europa League.
The fixtures they have are just brutal & come in quick succession of each other. Comparatively, all other teams going for the Top 4 have relatively easy fixtures (and also no European commitments).

Easy fixtures just like this one for Liverpool, amirite?

CrayToes

Utd are arguably the only team out of those 4 with any sort of form and Jose knows how to see out a season. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up in the top 4 and win the Europa.

sora87

They have like 2 games in hand on liverpool and are only 3 points behind now i think? They can defend much better than liverpool and have people who can finish well.
Liverpool do have an easier run in but it's just so easy for them to drop points to teams they should be beating.

Sciel

Easy fixtures just like this one for Liverpool, amirite?
I think most teams would rather play Crystal Palace at home rather than Tottenham or Arsenal Away.

What say you?

Utd are arguably the only team out of those 4 with any sort of form and Jose knows how to see out a season. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up in the top 4 and win the Europa.
I hope so. Will probably more optimistic if we win on Thursday against City though lol.

The decision not to add to the squad last summer and in January was always likely to bite us in the arse.

Hopefully Lallana and Henderson coming back will just about get us over the line. 4th place could come down to goal difference.

sora87

I think most teams would rather play Crystal Palace at home rather than Tottenham or Arsenal Away.

What say you?

Liverpool seem to do better against teams like spurs and arsenal though for some reason, got like the best record in the top 6 head to head or something like that.

Tosyn_88

Liverpool should keep dropping those sweet points, it is all working right into plan. Show up against top teams, run their heads ragged and then drop points to small sides. I mean, if one is really trying to be ambitious, you are best of destroying the small teams and ducking out draws against big sides, no?

Either way, it doesn't matter, they should play Europa league, if they actually gave a damn about competing, they should actually try and win that, you know like not losing in the final

Sciel

Regardless of thursday night, playing Swansea at 12pm on Sunday looks like a potential banana skin.
Pretty much, considering Utd's home form is awful and Swansea will be fighting for their lives.

The Arsenal match in the following weak is another one, coming two days after the Celta match.

We just can't pretend we're ready for bigger things if we falter like this. I hope we can make a run of the last few games but it doesn't look likely.

We had it all in our hands but now we've gotta rely on other results... Saving grace is one of the Manchester teams is dropping points at the derby but we'll need more than that. Arsenal having to play Spurs and Man U helps as well I suppose.

DBT85

Strikes again. Exactly what United needed.
tybDFW6.png

City being taken to extra time as well is very handy.

TimmmV

If United beat City this week then they'll get 4th I think, if they draw it'll be close. So shit that its even close though, as other posters have said, not getting more players in January really was a mistake. FSG have got questions to answer there, it was obvious to everyone that the squad was too small to cope with that many games.

cyber_ninja

We just can't pretend we're ready for bigger things if we falter like this. I hope we can make a run of the last few games but it doesn't look likely.

We had it all in our hands but now we've gotta rely on other results... Saving grace is one of the Manchester teams is dropping points at the derby but we'll need more than that. Arsenal having to play Spurs and Man U helps as well I suppose.

I think Arsenal won't make it onto top 4. It's a toss up between Liverpool, Man City and United imo.
Also I know how it feels when you have to rely on other results. I'm a lifelong United fan and the last few seasons I've spent more time cheering for other teams to drop points than supporting my team due to our inconsistency and inability to get results.

There are plenty of twists and turns left in this season, hope that we can manage with all the injuries and clogged up schedule.

Tosyn_88

No offense to Liverpool but I won't stamp you guys to represent epl in champions league, same with spurs. Arsenal also are falling within that category. There's a mental strength missing

DBT85

If United beat City this week then they'll get 4th I think, if they draw it'll be close. So shit that its even close though, as other posters have said, not getting more players in January really was a mistake. FSG have got questions to answer there, it was obvious to everyone that the squad was too small to cope with that many games.

That many games? Next year you'll have some kind of European competition to contend with as well!

United can afford to spend another draw on City I think, GD is now all but equal too considering how far United were off it 6 weeks ago.

TimmmV

No offense to Liverpool but I won't stamp you guys to represent epl in champions league, same with spurs. Arsenal also are falling within that category. There's a mental strength missing

Yeah, because United's mental strength was so great last time they were in it. In fact, they've not really done much at all in Europe since getting to the CL final in 2011.

That many games? Next year you'll have some kind of European competition to contend with as well!

United can afford to spend another draw on City I think, GD is now all but equal too considering how far United were off it 6 weeks ago.

Sorry, that many games refers to the load of January fixtures when the bad form started, not the total fixtures over a season. But yeah, it'll be worse next season if the Europa ends up happening, its so bloated now that qualifying for it does more harm than good.

United could prob afford a draw vs City but it'll slow momentum and make winning vs Spurs and Arsenal more important, but yeah you're right, they can still drop points there and get 4th anyway

Dark Rider

all I want today is not to lose
given Bale form lately I don't like the fact that he's starting, that is bad
Isco should have started instead

Tosyn_88

Yeah, because United's mental strength was so great last time they were in it. In fact, they've not really done much at all in Europe since getting to the CL final in 2011.

Sorry, that many games refers to the load of January fixtures when the bad form started, not the total fixtures over a season. But yeah, it'll be worse next season if the Europa ends up happening, its so bloated now that qualifying for it does more harm than good.

United could prob afford a draw vs City but it'll slow momentum and make winning vs Spurs and Arsenal more important, but yeah you're right, they can still drop points there and get 4th anyway

That's a actually funny. You are comparing the present United to last seasons United. By no means am I even endorsing United but I'd still take them over Liverpool to represent epl in champions league. I mean, considering how many games played, they still hold a merit on Liverpool and they aren't loosing at home to crystal palace so spare me your nonesense logic.
To me, Chelsea followed by city (should sort defence out) and United (should sort goal scoring out)

TimmmV

That's a actually funny. You are comparing the present United to last seasons United. By no means am I even endorsing United but I'd still take them over Liverpool to represent epl in champions league. I mean, considering how many games played, they still hold a merit on Liverpool and they aren't loosing at home to crystal palace so spare me your nonesense logic.
To me, Chelsea followed by city (should sort defence out) and United (should sort goal scoring out)

I assumed your "mental strength" logic relied on performance in Europe, otherwise idk why you are saying that Spurs don't have it, and Arsenal do

And the Palace defeat is one game you've selectively focused on. By that logic I could say Liverpool would do well in the CL going off their record vs the top 7 this season

Such an annoying defeat, I still think we'll get top 4. But of course we need to do it as hard as possible.

Theres a relentlessness about this United thats disconcerting. They just arent losing league games.

DBT85

Interesting to see Mou's comment after the game about Smalling and Jones. He was asked about Baillys performances and he said he's been incredible, and that if he were Smalling or Jones he would play on Thursday with anything (injury) as he wouldn't accept one guy to play 9 in a row, he would do a last push. When then asked if they possibly could play, he said if they have a crazy mentality like Mou, then they could, if they are safe and surrounded by people that think like that, then it takes more time, but nothing would stop him.

Can see one or both out the door next year, I think he likes the crazy in Rojo and Bailly is just great regardless.

That is concerning, but that City - United game will help us in one way or another.

Problem you've got is that even if both were able to lose the game, they'd still have a game in hand and be 2 and 3 points behind. Going to be a great last few weeks!

Top Bottom