• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis World Tour announced (2018, Breakpoint Studio, OMG!)

oti

Banned
I really hope that they add some big names. Having Federer is great, but they should have more big names. Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, ... To really sell it to a big audience they should have at least 20 to 30 big male players.

Everyone here saying that a tennis game without licenses is good enough don't understand that this game isn't going to sell itself to the 'casual' audience. And I really really hope it will be a succes. So that developers see that tennis-games really can sell.

---
I also hate announcements without any screens or trailers. At least give us one Federer screen :p

But still hype level is insane here :eek:

Going even deeper into simulation compared to Top Spin 4 would make this game highly unapproachable for the "casual audience".

bonds7.jpg

This made my day. I put a lot of hours in Top Spin 4, absolutely brilliant game. My best hope until now was that it would end up being BC in Xbox One, but with all the licensing involved I wasn't holding my breath. To hear a new tennis game is in production, and with some of the people that made Top Spin 4 is the stuff of dreams.

About licenses, honestly, I think having the real players is a good move, not sure how much is it but I think the extra money is worth it on that front. Paying for tournaments like M1000 and even Grand Slams might not be necessary, though I'd like for them to be included. The main attraction are the players.

The Dude

It better have online Co op for doubles matches.. Was playing fucking top spin Co op in mid 2000s, should be no reason it's not there

neilyadig

Let's see. I doubt Big Ben can given them a big budget. And their Handball games are trash, their WRC games aren't well received either. I'd say their other games aren't good either.

This worries me. But hopefully as Breakpoint Studio is brand new, they'll want to make a big splash and prove themselves with an epic first release.

Counting down the days to August 23rd, Gamescom 2017...

Well if they won't have a big budget then going even more simulation than Top Spin 4 will work. I mean tennis enthusiasts will buy it and that would be that as sales expectations shouldn't be high. It's always been unfortunate to me that games like Madden and FIFA can afford more and more realistic gameplay and still be huge while with tennis there's always a compromise to make the gameplay more arcadey to appeal to the masses and even then it's hardly guaranteed. I get why it's more tricky with tennis though -- I was super disappointed with EA's take with the bullshit ball physics and completely unrealistic gameplay. A mess.

Top Spin 4 was really great, but there were major compromises made to the simulation experience to make it more accessible for the more casual audience, such as barely any difference in court surfaces (something the devs themselves admitted was to make it more causal friendly), a fairly simple stroke and service system, barely any unforced errors and a fairly thin World Tour mode.

Galdelico

Everyone here saying that a tennis game without licenses is good enough don't understand that this game isn't going to sell itself to the 'casual' audience.

Not sure the casual audience would bother with a simulation, though.

I mean, of course, I'd also love a complete licensed roster, real tournamentes, courts, sponsors, on top of a stellar tennis core gameplay. The point is, how realistic is to expect that much? There's no EA here - and even with their Grand Slam Tennis 2, they flopped badly - so... Rationally speaking, what benefit would a mediocre tennis sim, yet filled with big names, bring to the table?

It's pure speculation, I know. Hopefully, the people behind this project will deliver. That's what I hope the most, in the end.

oti

Banned
If I can get an updated version of Top Spin 4 on current gen with a healthy online community I'm happy.

Ramenman

Breakpoint Studio doesn't even have a simple website or homepage or logo to show as a form of existence, they don't even mention where they're located on the planet, it's just so weird...

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Not sure the casual audience would bother with a simulation, though.

I mean, of course, I'd also love a complete licensed roster, real tournamentes, courts, sponsors, on top of a stellar tennis core gameplay. The point is, how realistic is to expect that much? There's no EA here - and even with their Grand Slam Tennis 2, they flopped badly - so... Rationally speaking, what benefit would a mediocre tennis sim, yet filled with big names, bring to the table?

It's pure speculation, I know. Hopefully, the people behind this project will deliver. That's what I hope the most, in the end.

Sure it does. I am not saying that everyone wil immediately like it. But put Federer on the box of the game and it will sell a lot more.

Don't underestimate the importance of licenses. Why do FIFA-games sell so much better than PES? It's not because of the gameplay, but because of the licenses.

Can anyone tell me how many licenses Top Spin 4 had? Players, tournaments, Grand Slams, stadiums? I would guess they want something like that again.

----
I hope they put in a player creator and tournament creator of some kind. To handle the 'low' licenses.
---
The only thing I am afraid of is that all of Big Ben Interactive games always get 6, mostly a low 7. So expecting a fantastic tennis game is maybe not realistic

gatirosho

Neo Member
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan don't bump without new info plz. :(

i know but it's just weird and I have to admit I'm a bit worried about what players will be in the game. Kinda disappointed they didn't mention more big names

I enjoyed the first few Top Spins game. Then it got too super realistic for me. Hopefully they keep it inbetween.

Would kill for another Virtual tennis.

Blue Lou

I've done a little more investigating.

There's a company registered in France known as Breakpoint that was formed last year. It shares a physical address on the outskirts of Paris and a director, Eric Zmiro with a company called Magic Pockets.

http://www.magicpockets.com/

Their recent games include:

• NICKELODEON TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES - Xbox 360/Wii/3DS, Activision, 2013
  • TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES - 3DS, Activision, 2014
  • THE SMURFS - 3DS, Ubisoft, 2015
  • CARTOON NETWORK BATTLE CRASHERS - PS4/Xbox One/3DS, Game Mill Entertainment, 2016

I think it's pretty likely that Breakpoint, the studio behind "World Tennis Tour" and Breakpoint, the French "computer programming" company with a founder who has links to video games going back to the late 1980's are one and the same .

neilyadig

I've done a little more investigating.

There's a company registered in France known as Breakpoint that was formed last year. It shares a physical address on the outskirts of Paris and a director, Eric Zmiro with a company called Magic Pockets.

http://www.magicpockets.com/

Their recent games include:

• NICKELODEON TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES - Xbox 360/Wii/3DS, Activision, 2013
  • TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES - 3DS, Activision, 2014
  • THE SMURFS - 3DS, Ubisoft, 2015
  • CARTOON NETWORK BATTLE CRASHERS - PS4/Xbox One/3DS, Game Mill Entertainment, 2016

I think it's pretty likely that Breakpoint, the studio behind "World Tennis Tour" and Breakpoint, the French "computer programming" company with a founder who has links to video games going back to the late 1980's are one and the same .

Nice research. Interesting list of games...

gatirosho

Neo Member
I enjoyed the first few Top Spins game. Then it got too super realistic for me. Hopefully they keep it inbetween.

Would kill for another Virtual tennis.

oh god, why everyone calls it virtuaL tennis?? and that game is propably the worst simulation sports game I've ever played. Maybe it's good for non tennis fans idk

scoobs

I sincerely miss the days of great Tennis games on consoles... hoping this is decent (and that there's a good Switch port)

leng jai

oh god, why everyone calls it virtuaL tennis?? and that game is propably the worst simulation sports game I've ever played. Maybe it's good for non tennis fans idk

Who says the Virtua Tennis games are simulations? They are clearly arcade games just with a realistic aesthetic. VT2 is the best arcade tennis game there is.

GunBR

Finally a new tennis game. And (maybe?) a good one

I know that is not the most popular sport in the world, but even rugby and handball are getting more games than tennis ffs

Sweep14

New interview from xboxlive.fr translated by google with help frome ITST members (http://www.intertopspintour.net) :

SnakeX: Who’s responsible for the spark behind the production of a new tennis game?

Pierre André: The Breakpoint studio had the desire to create a tennis game, the team being passionate about sports and having worked in the past with members of the PAM studio.

Our collaboration started a year and a half ago (january 2016) with the creation of a technical demo on the basis of the Top Spin’s gameplay with the introduction of a new tactical dimension.
(they concretely started from the TS4 assets to make this new game…Not a good point IMO).

SX: Tennis World Tour seems to be the heir of Top Spin, how do you start a new license that both respects the DNA of the franchise and provide the players with innovations?

P.A.: Just like Top Spin, it is our desire to propose a realistic physical engine that respects the physical constraints of a tennis player. You will not be able to change direction at any time, run in all directions or do a 360 on yourself like in Virtua Tennis, you will have to take in account the ground support and the player’s inertia.

Tennis World Tour offers a precise control of the shots, which will be varied. You will indeed have to master & control 3 specific aspects : the power, the precision and the risk of your shots.

Our game will stand out from Top Spin through the introduction of a tactical dimension . A tennis match can have many twists and turns and we wanted to break the linearity of Top Spin matches by introducing the system of « game plans ». Concretely, these are tactics chosen by the player before each match starts, within the brand new skills-system which is based on attack, defense and volleys.

If the player plays neatly, that is to say, respecting the timing of strikes, avoiding to put himself in trouble, but also respecting his play style, the game plan selected before the match will be activated, granting bonuses at various moments of the match. For instance, the stamina recovery could be enhanced as well as the ability to hit better control shots and powerful shots.
(gadget idea & it seems they keep the horrible Top Spin 4 concept of « control shots » and « power shots »…. )

SX: Will Tennis World Tour offer official players and varied environments?

P.A.:The title will feature thirty male and female professional players under license including Roger Federer, Gaël Monfils, Angélique Kerber and Garbiñe Muguruza. The players will be pleasantly surprised by the rendering of these different stars thanks to laser scanning technology.

We will propose about twenty tournaments which won’t be under license but that will respect the atmosphere and surface variety of the ATP tour.

SX: No tennis game has been developed for this generation of consoles, can we expect a game that will visually takes full advantage of the new technologies?

Tennis World Tour has nothing to do with what has been done in the past. We have worked on an exceptional rendering of the public in terms of animations and textures. It makes the atmosphere. very immersive. And the motion capture enable us to achieve a rare realism in the modeling and facial expression of different professional players.
(The motion Capture is done with Maxime Texeira, a french pro player from Top 100-200, who has to imitate Nadal, Federer etc…In TS4 the motion capture has apparently been done with actors and a few ones by the guy who is interviewed here….)

SX: Will the career mode offer the complete experience of a real life tennis player or will it be a succession of matches in unlinked tournaments ?

The Career Mode makes you live the rise of a professional player from the top 100 to the n°1 spot. You will have a team composed of your trainer, who manages the technique, fitness and mental aspect of your career, and your agent who will find you sponsors, make you sign up to tournaments, manage your money and your fans. The career is really focused on this feeling of becoming a tennis world star through the training and the management of your brand image.

SX: Which form (s) will take the training and management of our career?

P.A.: There are two types of training: playable (forehand, backhand ...) and non-playable (running in the Andes).

For developing of the game, we keep in mind this legitimate question any gamer is entitled to ask: what does Roger Federer in his life?
He plays tennis, trains on the top of a mountain to improve his cardio but he also has a clothing brand on his name and participates in charity galas to raise funds. This is what Tennis World Tour will offer.

SX: What about the online mode?

P.A.: For online mode, the « World Tour » mode from Top Spin 4 will be back (cf : 3 rounds to play in 3 sets of 3 games in Top Spin 4).
Each week, you will have tournaments to play and a ranking is displayed based on these results.The tournaments will be reset every week and you will be able to play single, double and mixed match.

SX: Are you in touch with gamers for game development?

P.A.: There is a community of gamers who are fond of all tennis games since the 1st Top Spin called the Inter Top Spin Tour (ITST). They master this type of games perfectly and compete each week. It is mainly them who provide us with the most important feedback to help develop the title with and for the players.
(WTF, is this true ?)

After six years without a tennis game, we imagine that the fans of the genre are going to be very demanding...while novices can also be interested, so who do you target with Tennis World Tour?

P.A .: The game is geared to everyone. We rely on our community of hardcore players to develop a demanding experience, especially for the timing of the shots. But the game remains accessible to all players, with a gameplay that remains easy to master. There will be no simulation or arcade mode controls, Tennis World Tour is a mix of both worlds, for a more realistic result.

In addition to the difficulty and the level of requirement, did you work on the AI?

P.A.: Making an AI unbeatable in a tennis game is very easy. The challenge was to propose an interesting IA that adapts itself according to several parameters: the playstyle of the gamer, the profile of the player used by the AI, or the type of match that is played.
The AI will not be the same in a low-ranking match of a minor tournament as in a Grand Slam final. We think we have found a good balance so that the AI is varied, hence breaking the linearity of matches, and offers an interesting challenge.

You are planning for a release in 2018, can you give us a more accurate window?

P.A.: If it were up to me, we would get out the game in 2020. There is always one aspect of the game that needs to be improved and we are never satisfied with it.

In terms of content, we’re working on original weekly online tournaments for the world tour mode, that will provide the winners with rewards for their virtual characters (equipment for instance) And the biggest part of the work that we still have to do is about the balance of the different skills involved for the « game plan » system, which takes a lot of work.

Top Bottom