• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endless Space 2 - Review Thread

Totakeke

Pn2FQuV.jpg
ZbJfnP9.jpg
pxhYavY.jpg
fzdwcft.jpg
tARROBE.jpg
1eDetcY.jpg

the Escapist - 4.5/5
Endless Space 2 is a gleaming example of the depth of the 4x genre, though the intricacies will make it inaccessible to the most casual players. Of course, ES2 doesn't look like it's trying too hard to be accessible, focusing more on making the 4x game for 4x players, who aren't looking for something that just anybody can pick up in a single session.

Bottom Line: Endless Space 2 doesn't sugarcoat the 4x experience, and it can be daunting when you realize that all 600 icons on the screen have a tooltip you need to read to make just this one decision. Despite all that complexity, none of it seems unnecessary, which means every one of those tooltips has essential information.

Recommendation: Endless Space 2 is not an entry-level 4x game, though an experienced strategy gamer will likely be able to pick it up readily enough. Serious strategists won't want to miss this, even if the learning curve is more of a sheer cliff face.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Recommended
Amplitude have crafted a game that oozes character and charm out of every pore. With its faction-specific soundtrack, lavish art and light RPG-like quests, it’s hard not to fall for it. Character doesn’t just mean flavour, either. Sure, Endless Space 2 is full of that, but what’s most compelling is the way in which it intersects with the mechanics, elevating them both.

Take the factions, for instance. The business-savvy Lumeris colonise worlds by paying private companies to do all the work. No colony ships needed. The arboreal Unfallen, on the other hand, link star systems together with cosmic tendrils, instantly colonising a world once the vines take root. Each of the Xs is informed by the history and abilities of the factions. Even on the same type of map, with the same opponents, playing as the the extradimensional Riftborn or the ravenous Cravers feels like a fundamentally different experience.

Factions aren’t just defined by their unique techs and fancy powers, however. They set the tone and inspire certain types of playstyles, but the politics system has just as big an impact. It’s perhaps the biggest hook that sets Endless Space 2 apart from Endless Legend, and its influence permeates throughout the entire game.

Each empire contains six potential political parties vying for power. How much control they have, and indeed if they they exist at all, is determined by the species living under your yoke. All of them have a political ideology they are most closely affiliated with, and over time they’ll help parties that espouse the ideals they dig. Political events, wars, building projects and other actions can also drum up more support for them.

I’m relieved that Amplitude have managed to do some last-minute fixes. It saves me from having to tell you to give it a miss for the time being, even though I’m besotted with it. Instead I get to happily recommend it. From the interface to economics, it sports some of the best systems I’ve seen in a 4X game, and like Endless Legend, it’s simultaneously confident and experimental, finding new ways to spice up a genre that can too often be bland.

Game Revolution - 4.5/5
That being said, Endless Space 2 has an incredibly detailed tutorial that will take you painstakingly through every detail you could possibly have questions about, transforming you from complete noob into 4Xpert in no time. After you get over the steep learning curve, you’ll be absolutely enthralled by everything Endless Space 2 has to offer.

Perhaps the best aspect to discuss in more detail in this limited capacity is picking a faction, as this can drastically change each and every game you decide to play. Right off the bat, there are eight of them, each with their own lore and, perhaps more importantly, their own abilities. They’re each good at something different and gain different resources in different ways.

Because of this, not only do you know more about the faction as which you play, but Endless Space 2 feels like a different game each time you play it. In other games, such as Stellaris, you essentially do the same thing each time. In Endless Space 2, you are able to do all the same things each time, but you may build up a huge bustling economy with one faction while barely scraping by the next time you play with a different faction, as your efforts are better spent elsewhere.

Destructoid - 8.5/10
Endless Space 2 makes a significant addition to the Endless feature set by including a political dimension, influenced by faction choice and by individual population units. Every faction has an affinity with one of the major political ideologies (industrialists, militarists, and so on), while minor factions also have their own viewpoints. Just about every decision you make in the game can nudge political feelings one way or the other, from building certain structures to having too many enemy ships hanging around your borders. Populations express their political feelings every twenty turns, when elections return representatives to the Senate.

Essentially, the political dimension adds flavour, potential points of internal conflict, and another way for the player to push their empire in a particular direction through Senate laws. There may be times when you really want a particular party in power, either to push a lot of science research or perhaps as part of a particular narrative quest. The dictatorship model can ignore voting results and select a preferred party (at risk of angering the populace), but other government types can also be gently manipulated (through direct or indirect action) in order to get the result you need. During these periods, massaging political opinion can become a bit of a meta-game.

I had a lot of fun with Endless Space 2, and I'm looking forward to putting more time in with it. Despite my initial reservations about diving into the deep end, I soon found myself invested in the stories that came from my triumphs and failures. There's a lot to like here if you give it a chance, and even if strategy isn't your preferred genre, you might find that it's worth your time to give ES2 a shot.

Gamewatcher
- 8.5/10
Endless Space 2 once again delivers a top notch turn based 4X sci fi experience.

COG Connected - 84/100
With a much improved tutorial advisor, fantastic graphics, and race specific storylines, Endless Space 2 is a galactic adventure worth having. The races are all unique and challenging to master, but well worth the effort and you will easily find yourself attached to your favorites. There is still room for the tutorial to explain more about the game and its mechanics however, and it wouldn’t hurt to allow proper command of your fleets in space combat as opposed to watching them carry out a single order. Endless Space 2 is a must for fans of 4X and strategy titles.

PC Invasion - 8/10
The feeling that Endless Space 2 could do with more time residing in early access is enough to give me pause from unconditional recommendation. That said, the pre-release version I’ve been playing for the past few days has been extremely compelling in spite of the bugs. If the game receives the same standard of long term support as Endless Legend (and most signs suggest it will), then it’ll be an outstanding 4X title. Military logisticians won’t find their dream game here, but anyone who values top-tier faction design, atmosphere, and intuitive, interconnected empire management will find another splendid Amplitude universe to lose themselves within.

PC Gamer - 77/100
Although Endless Space 2 will inevitably be a heavily patched and expanded-upon game, it definitely needs polish and refinement. A launch-day update solved lots of the most serious issues hanging over from the game's time in Early Access, but there's still a laundry list of known bugs for Amplitude to work through. While some of these are edge-case glitches that only affect players in certain situations, more serious problems with the game getting stuck during the end turn sequence and broken saves persist. That Amplitude is aware of the problems is reassuring, but doesn't necessarily offer much comfort to the player who can't make progress because of a bug.

Endless Space 2 is a good game, but there's no getting around the fact that it'll be a better game in six months. That is ever the case for 4X strategy games, of course, but you'd be forgiving for waiting until that list of known issues is a little shorter.

Opencritic - 8.3
Metacritic - 8.5

Megasoum

Banned
I just started recently playing 4x games (mostly because I've been binge watching Quill18's youtube channel lol)...

I've always been tempted by Endless Space 1 and almost bought it but then I remembered I already had Stellaris so I've been playing that lately but now I'm soooo tempted by ES2 lol...

I gotta say tho, watching streams on twitch right now... As much as the UI has a ton of style (like the original did too), as much I think it's not exactly great... It's super cluttered and the fact that most of the text doesn't fit under those grid of icons really looks bad.

Edit: Oh and I just noticed that the price is going up tomorrow...hmmm

i'm not a fan of playing solitaire space emperor. i'll see what this is about in 2020 after they've had some time to actually put an AI in the game

i hear it cheats a lot atm and still sucks (just like endless space 1)

So, is this a decent alternative to Stellaris while I wait for it to finally become stable again and get fleshed out as a proper Grand Strategy game a bit more?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is the combat more interesting then that weird Rock Paper Scissors thing they had in the first game?

Got the first one for a dollar and didn't like it too much, enjoyed Stellaris much more. Endless Legend looked amazing to me though, and this looks pretty great as well.

Lister

Banned
Uhhh...

[KNOWN ISSUES]
Final Reward of the Rifborn has no effect yet
Known issue: the AI is a bit reluctant to fight against Arks in early/mid game
FPS drops drastically during the planet destruction cutscene for a few seconds
Game session can remain stuck during the End Turn sequence while in a Pending state
The user does not receive the reward after “The cult of the strongman” United Empire faction quest is completed
Unfallen users cannot use the spaceport
Several factions traits on custom factions are not functional yet
AI factions do not build carriers/large sized ships during gameplay
ENFER ship cannot be dragged into the hangar
Title staggers during gameplay in the later turns of a session
The cutscene for gas planet destruction is missing
Several bits of texts are still in English in some languages
Saves will be broken if you are saving your game during the quest "Preserve the Academy"
Narrator and faction voice over during the beginner tutorial is missing
Tutorials about battle results and blockade are not triggered
Vodyani Quest Chapter 1 new objective is to exterminate pirates which are not necessarily on their own constellation: the translation keeps the old objective hint.
Vodyani Quest Chapter 1 Part 2 Second choice will not work with custom faction
Never show the planet scanview keys when in ground battle
Planet scan view is incomplete
[MAC] The minor and major factions influence area can be seen through the fog of war

AI factions do not build carriers/large sized ships during gameplay
Saves will be broken if you are saving your game during the quest "Preserve the Academy"

These two especially seme like reasons not to release yet, nevermind release a day early!

Totakeke

Apparently I've already played 131 hours of this game even prior to release.

How does this compare with Stellaris? Anyone?

As a pure 4x game Stellaris seems pretty lacking, there isn't that many things going on early to mid game. Endless Space 2 has a ton of systems going on at all times and hence a lot of levers to pull.

How accessible is this, as a 4X game?

If you've never played Endless Space before, even the basic resource system requires a bit of figuring out. Since this is sci-fi, learning the tech tree also requires a bit of time. Multiple reviews mentioned the tutorial is pretty good though.

Megasoum

Banned
Ah shit did I already miss the 25% pre-release deal?

Edit: It's up to 44$ CAN on Steam but still 32$ on Bundle Star... Fuck it, I'm pulling the trigger.

How's the optimization? If I can run Stellaris on default/medium settings in 1080p with little issue (except when I zoom in on a late game battle, but at that point it lags a bit for everyone due to the massive amount of ships on screen fighting in real time) would I be fine with this? Is there going to be a demo?

Totakeke

http://www.pcgamer.com/endless-space-2-review/

They were pretty harsh on it score wise. The review seems pretty positive though.

Seems like it's more like they weren't enthusiastic about the game rather than they had significant problems with it aside from the bugs.

Heroes being a bit too generic has been an issue with the Endless series and AI not being proactive enough with diplomacy has always been a problem with 4X games in general.

megalowho

Only dipped my toe in when it was on sale last month but looking forward to my first real go with the release build. Seems promising, with interesting factions and plenty of 4X depth. AI remains to be seen.

I gotta say tho, watching streams on twitch right now... As much as the UI has a ton of style (like the original did too), as much I think it's not exactly great... It's super cluttered and the fact that most of the text doesn't fit under those grid of icons really looks bad.
This I can attest to, during my short time I was impressed by the clean UI but also found myself getting lost in it and wishing for a little more pop to guide the player and make certain elements stand out.

Noaloha

There's a (typically) meaty description from Chris Thursten (PC Gamer review) about his time with ES2 on the latest Crate & Crowbar podcast. I found it an interesting listen as a complement to the reviews.

(The shownotes do point out that "A lot of the technical issues Chris reports have been patched since the time of recording – check out his review for PC Gamer for a more up to date take.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL__c9DVMSg
Starts at 0:43:50. Ends at 1:24:40.

Top Bottom