• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time magazine Millennials: The Me Me Me Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

I find it hilarious that our generation is considered entitled when we're expected to work 2-3 part time jobs when no full time employment is available (even professional jobs), have a crushing debt load, and are generally poorer (with less spending power!) than our previous generation.

Right, because asking for something reasonable is considered entitled.

Also, the examples of tardy or oblivious persons happen with all generations. It's not exclusive to ours.

Dorrin

Fuck that. The Me generation is the baby boomers. They could go to college for dirt cheap. Houses, cars, gas, medical care and everything was cheap (even considering inflation) and you could get an almost guaranteed for life with a pension. This new generation is going to be the first one in a hundred years to have it worse than their parent.

This right here. I'm 36 and coworkers in the boomer range have it fucking made. Huge profit sharing and pension contributions during the 80s, I get maybe a 2% contribution, when they were my age in the 80s and the economy was booming they would get 15-20% crazy wealth building going on. One of my idiot coworkers who couldn't save her way out of wet paper bag had 400k at age 55. They will get medicare at 65, early SS at 62. All of this stuff is going to get taken away from us in the next 20 years.

My generation has to play an absolutely perfect game to get to some kind of retirement, perfect. I have no idea what awaits my kids, outsourcing etc its just more and more bad news.

I don't get why living with parents is even looked at as shameful. Living close to family or with family is something that people in many less affluent countries do, but I don't think it is something that should only be done by the poor.

I don't get why living with parents is even looked at as shameful. Living close to family or with family is something that people in many less affluent countries do, but I don't think it is something that should only be done by the poor.

I honestly would rather live in my car, rather than move back in with my parents.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Ya know, the older generation talks a lot of shit for being responsible for fucking up the world we live in right now. And I'm kind of getting tired of it.

cjty0gc.jpg
0428_f0rfb.gif

ronito

Yeah not gonna take anyone in this day and age that complains about any generation without complaining about the baby boomers seriously.

Jooney

If boomers want to compare their formative years with:
- worst job market since the great depression
- record levels of student debt
- vanishing middle-class jobs
- higher cost of living
- escalating health care costs
- the strain of two simultaneous wars

then let them try and make a case.

In the meantime, perhaps they shouldn't mistake the millennial's infatuation with social media and tech as complacency as weakness. It's a crutch of an argument.

I really don't see how you can't blame anyone other than the previous generation for this generations woes and issues. Much like the this generation will be directly responsible for how the economy/society is for the next generation. I mean really, how can you blame 18-29 year olds for an economy they've barely had a say in? The fact that baby boomers are still shaping our economy now only furthers the point.

I don't mind living with my parents. It's pretty chill and any money I earn from working I can spend on nice stuff. Eventually I'll move out but it's not a priority. Education comes first.

People have to get rid of the stupid stigma surrounding living with one's parents after they're 21 or so. I understand that some people might want to live a lifestyle they can't live in their parent's house, but if your parents are willing to help you out and you're okay living with them, what the hell is the problem? Obviously, people shouldn't take advantage of their parents and make a good faith effort to support themselves financially, but the stupid cultural expectation that you need to separate from your parents financially means that a lot of people make some irrational financial decisions. Not having to pay for rent or a mortgage can really allow you to build a good economic base, so that your life is significantly easier financially for years afterwards. Plus, you know, it's nice to have people that love you no matter what around.

RedSwirl

I'm going to be really interested in how my generation plays this. Are they going to do what the "greatest generation" did and fight for a new system that continues progression of the common person (e.g. New Deal, Fascism, Communism) or just wallow in their sorrow like a Central American nation.

You talking about that generation cycle theory? I can't remove much about it, but it mentions the "Greatest Generation" being a "Hero Generation" and Millennials basically being in the same place on the cycle -- the next "Hero Generation."

Edit: here we go -- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss%E2%80%93Howe_generational_theory

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm an X'er born in '76. One thing that's really helped me in my career is the ability to understand what boomer managers want to hear ... Their "culture" so to speak.

I've also often found myself as the guy representing millennial staff as a go between and translating millennial issues to boomer management.

Some IMHO generalizations: The big difference is the way millenials communicate and what they value... The need for constant manager one on one meetings, the hive mind mentality when working with peers, the willingness to take a prestigious job for shitty pay ...

Millenials do some crazy things too that no self respecting Xer would ever do ... Like working for free (unpaid internships).

With all that said, the best work environments I've seen were offices that had x managers with a Y workforce.

boomers are the worst.

JdFoX187

Banned
I've heard this same song and dance from boomers for years. My grandfather -- whom raised me -- was that young generation that was too young to go to World War II, but grew up in the height of the post-war boom. While he wasn't nearly as condescending as some, he still had that "bootstraps" attitude that just infuriated me to no end. "Go to college, get a good education, pursue your dreams and you'll succeed in life with a lot of hard work."

Yeah...I went to college, worked my ass off paying for it with a combination of grants, scholarships, student loans and work study. I busted my ass to get an internship, working two jobs and going to classes 18 hours a semester and come out in debt with a full-time job making a grand total of $9/hour, which they said was a great wage for "someone like me" -- even though I was working there for the previous three years. Eight years total at the job and they bumped me to $10/hour and congratulate me on a job well done.

You can't do this job without a degree, but good luck paying for it with menial wages and the attitude of the management, which was fortunate enough to work in the 80s and 90s and earned those ridiculously high wages, that us "cubs" want the world handed to us on a plate without sacrificing is downright fucking insulting. Meanwhile, they continue to hang onto those high paying jobs as long as possible because they either didn't save worth a fucking damn -- the same fucking thing they blame us for -- or because they simply want to accumulate more wealth.

So yeah, we take to social networks or messageboards a lament the bullshit that we're saddled with and that somehow makes us entitled?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I know for sure that all of that "everyone one of you is a special little flower!" spiel given to us in elementary school definitely got to some kids. Wonder when they started doing that?

Because it's a burden on your parents and you don't (generally) experience the hardships that are part and parcel of being an adult (paying your own bills, being responsible for your own housing, food, etc.)?

I'm not saying it's a terrible thing to live with your parents, especially when the climate is so bad like now, but it's always seemed like clinging to a safety net and not making your own way to me. I personally find it weird.

People have to get rid of the stupid stigma surrounding living with one's parents after they're 21 or so. I understand that some people might want to live a lifestyle they can't live in their parent's house, but if your parents are willing to help you out and you're okay living with them, what the hell is the problem? Obviously, people shouldn't take advantage of their parents and make a good faith effort to support themselves financially, but the stupid cultural expectation that you need to separate from your parents financially means that a lot of people make some irrational financial decisions. Not having to pay for rent or a mortgage can really allow you to build a good economic base, so that your life is significantly easier financially for years afterwards. Plus, you know, it's nice to have people that love you no matter what around.

I agree it's dumb

Liberty4all

Banned
I agree it's dumb

its cultural for the most part mostly confined to Americans and Canadians kids whose parents were born and bred in North America.

With that said, I moved out at 19 and feel a better person for it, despite rocky financial patches. I may be part of one of the last generations to be able to financially be able to do so at that age, so I understand where Y is coming from.

Entitled generation, huh?

Entitled to what? Crushing loan debt especially the insane rise cost of school tuition, the inability to get a reasonable priced home, seeing young men and women sent abroad fighting 2 wars in a government constantly bickering over "spending too much", the high unemployment and terrible wages that that hasn't risen properly in decades?

That entitlement?!

Yes, but there is that darn Iphone and FACEBOOK!

Entitled generation, huh?

Entitled to what? Crushing loan debt especially the insane rise cost of school tuition, the inability to get a reasonable priced home, seeing young men and women sent abroad fighting 2 wars in a government constantly bickering over "spending too much", the high unemployment and terrible wages that that hasn't risen properly in decades?

That entitlement?!

Yes, but there is that darn Iphone and FACEBOOK!

It's only going to get worse for the next generation, tuition for a 4 year college? $150k! Minimum wage? $8.75...but they'll be called entitled because they have an iPhone 8 and use Bodybook.com

its cultural for the most part mostly confined to Americans and Canadians kids whose parents were born and bred in North America.

With that said, I moved out at 19 and feel a better person for it, despite rocky financial patches. I may be part of one of the last generations to be able to financially be able to do so at that age, so I understand where Y is coming from.

The crushing thing for me and a lot of us around my age is the student loans. But that's not a big surprise for people here I imagine. Still, if my student loans weren't sucking up so much of my monthly income, I would definitely be saving/stimulating the economy a lot more than I am now. As it is, if things work out with my current gf, I wouldn't even think about having a kid for another 2 years and wouldn't consider home ownership for another 5 :/

Having been in the post secondary school system for the last several years, I can tell you that young, self-entitled fucks are everywhere.

These people party all weekend before a big exam (as per evidence of their facebook posts) and then act like it is the teachers and the school that is at fault for their shitty performance on the test.

"I paid to come here!"

Yeah, ok, crawl back into your gutter. Thanks.

SRG01

Because it's a burden on your parents and you don't (generally) experience the hardships that are part and parcel of being an adult (paying your own bills, being responsible for your own housing, food, etc.)?

I'm not saying it's a terrible thing to live with your parents, especially when the climate is so bad like now, but it's always seemed like clinging to a safety net and not making your own way to me. I personally find it weird.

I live at home and I pay for everything except my parents' credit card bill... Also do chores and other errands because they're getting old.

WoodWERD

Well, I guess you could say I'm the flip side of the coin. Born in '82, made to go to work at 16, which carried over to working part-time through college so I could pay half my tuition. Not wanting to keep switching majors and rack up a bunch of debt, but not having any particular passion at the time, I decided on an accounting degree that I later had 0 interest in. I finished in 4 years which put me out into the world at 22 and right into a lame corporate job. I was directionless and followed the $ signs which led me to a sales job at a bank naturally (lol)...hated it but paid too well, so I got stuck in the corporate life. And here I am at 30, single, debt free with a decent nest egg but unhappy with my career path. Trying to leave the cube behind and go teach in Asia for awhile so I can figure out what I really want to do in life.

I live at home and I pay for everything except my parents' credit card bill... Also do chores and other errands because they're getting old.

Cool. That sounds like a good relationship and I'm sure plenty do help out, but I'm thinking more about the college/post-college crowd that linger at home not because they're helping aging parents, but because it benefits them or is just safer. Unfortunately that has been my general experience, and I don't have a very good impression of it.

I've heard this same song and dance from boomers for years. My grandfather -- whom raised me -- was that young generation that was too young to go to World War II, but grew up in the height of the post-war boom. While he wasn't nearly as condescending as some, he still had that "bootstraps" attitude that just infuriated me to no end. "Go to college, get a good education, pursue your dreams and you'll succeed in life with a lot of hard work."

Yeah...I went to college, worked my ass off paying for it with a combination of grants, scholarships, student loans and work study. I busted my ass to get an internship, working two jobs and going to classes 18 hours a semester and come out in debt with a full-time job making a grand total of $9/hour, which they said was a great wage for "someone like me" -- even though I was working there for the previous three years. Eight years total at the job and they bumped me to $10/hour and congratulate me on a job well done.

You can't do this job without a degree, but good luck paying for it with menial wages and the attitude of the management, which was fortunate enough to work in the 80s and 90s and earned those ridiculously high wages, that us "cubs" want the world handed to us on a plate without sacrificing is downright fucking insulting. Meanwhile, they continue to hang onto those high paying jobs as long as possible because they either didn't save worth a fucking damn -- the same fucking thing they blame us for -- or because they simply want to accumulate more wealth.

So yeah, we take to social networks or messageboards a lament the bullshit that we're saddled with and that somehow makes us entitled?
Damn, what do you do and what is your degree in?

Yeah no, the generation before us had woodstock... fuck those hippies. Anyone who wore these jeans and flower shirts can't be considered to have a worthwhile opinion about me.

It's kind of amusing to see another generation falling to the same delusion of grandeur that has befallen every generation before them. The older you get the more you envy young people and can't stop but thinking how you would use that state of youth and vitality, instead of wasting it on being young and joyful.

I just hope I'll never turn into such a deluded sentimental nostalgic shit for brains to think that the next generation will ruin everything.

In fact, the world is getting better every day. Gays can now marry in many places and aren't subject to persecution in many places, men become more involved in raising kids, women can actually make a career, technology and science is helping people around the world to improve their life. It's only getting better, and anyone who's so bitter to envy coming generations for their benefits that they didn't enjoy is just a horrible human being with a skewed sense of nostalgia.

Liberty4all

Banned
The crushing thing for me and a lot of us around my age is the student loans. But that's not a big surprise for people here I imagine. Still, if my student loans weren't sucking up so much of my monthly income, I would definitely be saving/stimulating the economy a lot more than I am now. As it is, if things work out with my current gf, I wouldn't even think about having a kid for another 2 years and wouldn't consider home ownership for another 5 :/

I feel you. I'm 36 and wife is 30 and we are just getting to the point that maybe we can afford a kid. Her work pays well and is stable, mine pays decent but is contract work. Together we make enough but when I'm out of work we hurt.

JeTmAn81

We got a separate phone-line specifically so I wasn't tying up the phone. I don't recall if the phone-company and ISP's overcharged because I wasn't the bill-payer for that. I don't think it was very much or at least breaking the bank since my parents never complained about it, but yeah... 1990-1993 was very different from 1994-on.

We had a separate line too. I was pretty into BBS's back in the day. Shoutouts to spending all night downloading the demo of Raptor and later saving it to my 200MB tape drive. Also, since I was born in 1981 I classify as a millenial, lol.

I feel you. I'm 36 and wife is 30 and we are just getting to the point that maybe we can afford a kid. Her work pays well and is stable, mine pays decent but is contract work. Together we make enough but when I'm out of work we hurt.

Yeah, my wife is disabled so she never brings in any money. A lot of my income goes to health-related stuff for her. I make very decent money for my area, but a lot of the time it just feels like I don't make anything at all. My house payment isn't huge, and my car is paid for, but by golly that money is disappearing into a black hole somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom