• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immersive sim Consortium: The Tower crowdfunding on FIG (100%; tier discounts inside)

Bob-iDGi

Neo Member
Shucks, did they get rid of the World Builder tier? That's what I was at previously. :(
Oh well.. Backed at the Bishop level. Hoping it's successful this time around!

And here's some $10 off codes:
https://www.fig.co/ctt?promo=YUaxtp1PcYreFwUh1C3S9O
https://www.fig.co/ctt?promo=SF2WA0SexPlAMFUCPWwdLy
https://www.fig.co/ctt?promo=876PlP8hUD7ylCxqufbbyT

Have you gotten your superbacker e-mail Firehead? The reason the World Builder tier wasn't offered this time around was because it was already all claimed at 50 of 50 on Kickstarter.

Firehead

Have you gotten your superbacker e-mail Firehead? The reason the World Builder tier wasn't offered this time around was because it was already all claimed at 50 of 50 on Kickstarter.

Yeah, was one of the people that claimed it. Backed with the superbacker fig link as well. ^^

Edit:
Hah, my bad entirely for not paying attention. "Rewards: CONSORTIUM BISHOP, Super Backer: BUILDER, Super Backer Extra"

Apologies ^^;

Bob-iDGi

Neo Member
No worries! Glad it got sorted out. At least I know how it'll be presented now in case the question comes up again.

Curious, if I did the pledge before doing the Super Backer form, will it update me on Fig to be a super backer? In the pledge info, it says

"HELLO AGAIN SUPER BACKER!
YOU'RE BACKER #498"

The question is, I thought the Super Backers had their own separate numbers? Should I re-do the pledge to be listed as a Super Backer for the campaign?

EDIT: I know it says to edit my Extras in the pledge, but I see nothing extra...

Corpekata

Banned
Super backer email had some referal links for 10 dollars off the 50 dollar tier or higher if anyone wants one, send me a PM.

Dineren

Banned
I put in my pledge, I really hope this makes it. Was the super backer discount supposed to put the price in line with the original tier's cost in CAD? I haven't been following it too closely so I was surprised when I saw the initial pricing was $150USD, but then immediately got the discount.

I'll try using good ol Modbot for mine.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away links. Get up to $10 off of the $50 CONSORTIUM ROOK Bundle or higher by using single use codes in these links (their discount is applied in the second step of the pledge flow with an automatically selected discount Extra under the Bundle.)

To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

$10 off -- MB-6C600BE8BD15C00A
$10 off #3 -- MB-0A80265B35111D4B
$10 off #2 -- MB-E03DDAF2C03DA064

as i said in the KS thread, they really should have changed the name of this thing. sounds like "financial consulting firm: the game"

Vlodril

the form for the super backer wont accept my number. Am i doing something wrong ? (possible its late at night :p).

njustus

Neo Member
Hi Cyan,

CEO of Fig here. First off, thanks for breaking it down like this. I’m happy to respond to any concerns, and this is an easy format to do exactly that. Here we go:

-in general, anything on Fig has been effectively preselected to not be a great investment--if it was a great investment, it would've gotten conventional funding (you might object that it's possible some creators would prefer crowdsourced funds, but this doesn't do away with the problem)

This is going with an assumption that crowdfunding games are always bad investments. Over the last few years, a lot of incredible, innovative titles have resulted from crowdfunding. Personally, I’m really excited to see what other original ideas we see from developers who continue to choose non-traditional investment!

-in general, high-risk investing such as this tends to be hit-driven, which combined with the above means that even if you diversify across many Fig projects to remove some of the variance, you're unlikely to do well

Interestingly, if you look at Indie Fund as an example, you’d see they have a 100% return on all of the projects they’ve funded in the last few years. And that’s with investing in a lot of original IPs, which might typically be defined as “risky.”

-in specific, Consortium failed to fund or even reach half their goal on Kickstarter, and had less than 5000 backers. The breakeven point assumes sales of >50k. I think we can assume that the backers were the hardcore fans. Can they pick up another 9x that amount in sales? Maybe, but...

The original Consortium had 3,142 backers, and the resulting game moved about 86,000 units. Going by those numbers, it’s about 25x more people who picked up the game after the fact. With that in mind, hitting similar numbers with Consortium: The Tower doesn’t seem far-fetched.

-they're asking for less money on Fig than they did on KS. This is concerning--what happens if they run out of money? Do they seek outside funding? What does this do to people's investment returns?

The adjusted funding goal on Fig results mostly from Interdimensional no longer having to pay the ~7.8% fee on Kickstarter pledges. The amount they’ll need largely remains the same.

-the project is projected to release Q1 2018, two years from now. Remember that a) large Kickstarted videogame projects frequently overrun their estimates b) being underfunded would make this even worse c) you wouldn't see any investment return until well after the game has released, reducing your IRR.

The Interdimensional team worked together on the original Consortium, and have a pretty good handle on estimating their budget and collaborating efficiently.

I'd be pretty leery.

Hey I get it; this is all very new, and we’re still working on earning your trust with this model. But I hope that being new doesn’t discourage you from giving it a shot.

Personally, I think it’s time for crowdfunding to evolve, especially if the end result is that we get to see even more awesome and original game concepts get a chance at development.

Thanks for all of the consideration for our platform. Any feedback is great, as we’re always eager to learn how we can improve.

Damn, this is shaping up to do way better than on Kickstarter. Of course, I expect that a lot of the people backing today are returning backers from the KS campaign, so this will probably be even more front-loaded than usual, but still... A third of funding goal on the first day sounds pretty great. It's interesting that there's twice as much money in investments than in normal pledges as well; it seems that stuff really does attract people.

Dineren

Banned
Wow, an incredibly encouraging start. I have to admit I was pretty worried about the campaign when I heard it was moving to fig, but so far so good. Granted, it could very well be mainly previous backers, but this kind of momentum at the start will definitely help the campaign regardless of who backed.

Even if we just look at the regular pledges, Kicktraq says that the Kickstarter made 30k in the first day. So even in that regard, this is doing better.

I'm a bit surprised that the investment side is doing as well as it is. Immersive sim is quite niche. Perhaps they see this leading a possible resurgence of the genre, like how CRPGs and space games made a comeback?

The other lesser known successful indie campaign on FIG, Outer Wilds, only had 126k in investment funds. So for this to be almost at that level in about 12 hours seems quite impressive, especially for a relatively niche game like this. That's probably even more niche than Outer Wilds, because even that game appeals to the space game/exploration/light adventure crowd

I am so ready for this game. Totally missed the Super Backer links as they get sent to another email but hopefully it's not too late to sign up

Good luck at try #2, duders

jman2050

Even if we just look at the regular pledges, Kicktraq says that the Kickstarter made 30k in the first day. So even in that regard, this is doing better.

I'm a bit surprised that the investment side is doing as well as it is. Immersive sim is quite niche. Perhaps they see this leading a possible resurgence of the genre, like how CRPGs and space games made a comeback?

The other lesser known successful indie campaign on FIG, Outer Wilds, only had 126k in investment funds. So for this to be almost at that level in about 12 hours seems quite impressive, especially for a relatively niche game like this. That's probably even more niche than Outer Wilds, because even that game appeals to the space game/exploration/light adventure crowd

Maybe the move to FIG and the exposure from Super Backers actually got more people interested this time.

I know for me I didn't even realize the KS for this game was a thing until it was almost over.

Moobabe

I'm happy they're doing better this time; but I wish they had made some more gifs/videos for the new campaign.

Missed the KS the last time. In for $50. Good luck to the guys and gals at iDGi, and may you make the best game you can.

Microsoft will drop a couple mill for some "me first" dlc and tomb raider. But a game like this asks for 300k and nobody is there to drop a mill on it? This is why ms is losing. Becuase they don't have guys out there picking up new properties to back for cheap.

They have gears, halo, and forza. That's all they care about.

I was a world builder backer on KS. Too bad it doesn't look that's an option here. Oh well, will likely still back when I get paid.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How will pre-release access be handled? More We Happy Few (Steam keys sent out as soon as possible after the campaign ends) or Pillars of Eternity (much later down the track)?

Holy shit, it already caught up with the grand total raised on Kickstarter, if you convert currencies. In less than a day! That's insane, I would have never imagined that... Extremely happy about it though!

I was a world builder backer on KS. Too bad it doesn't look that's an option here. Oh well, will likely still back when I get paid.

Check your mail for the super backer link, you should be able to use it to get your old perk as an extra.

Bob-iDGi

Neo Member

If you did the Superbacker stuff you should still have that. It'll show up as an "extras" on your pledge page.

We didn't offer it as a tier on Fig because it was all claimed on Kickstarter. We're waiting to give everyone who paid for it on Kickstarter to claim it on Fig before potentially opening it up as a limited tier.

Top Bottom