• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miletius

I think liberal arts degrees are fine, as long as the person realizes that most times, they are not going to be making what an engineer is going to make. When someone goes to get a 40-60k/yr liberal arts degree and racks up 100k of debt, I have to scratch my head.

My girlfriend will come out with around 50k in debt, but that's for a Bachelors Degree in Teaching (ESL concentration), MA in Linguistics and a AuD (Doctorate of Audiology). 50k isn't bad for that kind of education, but she didn't pay for the MA, admittedly she was kind of lost on what to do when she came out of her teaching degree.

Re: Romney's Newest Gaffe -- I understand where he's coming from in the sense that his focus is on buoying the middle class so they don't fall into the poor category, but he could have said it with more tact. Even with the current state of our social safety nets (they need serious work), he's got a point in that he's believes he is prioritizing the area where he can help the most.

However, with all the other context light quotes coming out of him recently he's going to have to learn to watch what he says or appear out of touch with reality. The public at large already believes that he's already got a "rich guy" perception issue, and saying things like that makes it even worse.

*cue image of limo rider asking what homeless people are doing out on the street when it's cold and wet*

GhaleonEB

Unfortunately, the corporate welfare program known as Medicare Advantage should die. So it may have been a GOP talking point that Obamacare would kill Medicare Advantage, but, if it had, that would have been a good thing.

I don't disagree; I was advocating for this during the healthcare bill debate. However, cutting the premium they were being given over Medicare is at least a start at squeezing some costs (or rather, profits) out. I'm choosing to be glad about improvement, not sad we didn't gut the system. I'm for universal single payer, myself.

Romney said:
"I'm in this race because I care about Americans. I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it. I'm not concerned about the very rich, they're doing just fine. I'm concerned about the very heart of the America, the 90 percent, 95 percent of Americans who right now are struggling."

One other problem with this quote is the official poverty rate is over 15%; he doesn't even know how many Americans are in poverty before he dismisses them.

Gingrich didn't call me after I won Florida... I mean, I dropped an unprecedented amount of attack ads against the guy, but he still didn't call! What a jerk, that Gingrich.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
First of all, student loans are a joke. They should not exist, education should be provided by the state, and there are countries that do it very well and we should follow their lead. Loans that are out should be able to be paid back, they should be able to be paid back even with the lowest jobs. Not everyone can make it in their feild, and to doom the people that can't to a lifetime of debt is stupid. Perhaps if schools really want to be businesses they should have a money back return policy - guarantee people work in their feild or absolve the debt. Schools and lenders hold no responsibility currently. They convince everyone to pay money, and then once the well is dried up the school prints a piece of paper and says "fuck off", that is unless you make it big, then they will send you letters asking for donations.

What's wrong with Spanish Lit? Would you rather everyone get a degree in engineering and we simply become robots? Forget about the humanities, humans don't need them.

Sorry, I'm not really trying to take it out on you, just all the idiots that tell me I should have gotten a nursing degree or something I don't care about simply because I may be able to get that elusive 11$/h job.

I agree with you. :) I have stated as such many times in threads throughout the years.

Awesome news.

Health care costs needs to be fixed, ASAP. It's not just the insurance companies--it's the hospitals, too. Just got the bills for our recent baby and made sure to get a detailed list of charges. Saw several charges that were either misrepresented or flat out lies (Over $1000 for using a "sterile operating room" for the circumcision--the performing doctor confirmed she just did it in the nursery where other parents and guests are able to come in and stand next to the babies, etc). It's crazy.

You payed $1,000 to cripple and mutilate your son? Odd.

That's because the private sector a million times more efficient in building such things than the public is... but yes, effective transportation is key.

Joke post?

GhaleonEB

Republicans haven't said much that I've agreed with in recent years, but I'm not finding much fault with this opinion piece.

Rep Bill Shuster (R, Pennsylvania) - Rebuilding Transportation is Key

He does put a lot of emphasis on privatizing the process though.

This new transportation act is the right solution at the right time. It will fund surface transportation programs at current levels, finally providing reliability so states can undertake much-needed infrastructure projects and improvements. By eliminating unnecessary barriers that prevent us from using our vast energy resources, this legislation permanently removes government barriers to U.S. energy production and uses the revenues to repair and improve America’s roads and bridges – both of which support long-term job growth.

Our plan eliminates or consolidates nearly 70 federal transportation programs, removes federal mandates requiring states to spend highway funds on non-highway activities and gives states flexibility to address their specific transportation needs.
It sounds like the plan is to maintain current highway funding, while cutting funds to other forms of transit, then privatizing more of the process to inflate corporate profits. IIRC, this has been the GOP plan for some time now.

They should be able to do so, but they should be able to pay back those student loans, too. Occupiers screaming about student loans that they willingly took to obtain degrees in Spanish Lit don't make sense to me.

Perfect response just 5 posts after someone referring to conservatives screaming about welfare queens and drug addled homeless while ignoring normal poor minimum wage earners

Puddles

Banned
It sounds like the plan is to maintain current highway funding, while cutting funds to other forms of transit, then privatizing more of the process to inflate corporate profits. IIRC, this has been the GOP plan for some time now.

Ah, I didn't even catch that. That really changes everything.

Fund infrastructure at current levels so that states can begin new projects? WTF kind of weird logic is that?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The distinction between care and coverage is lost on many people. Sure, a public health system would save on administrative costs vs dozens of individual insurers, but the cost of care is out of control.

There needs to be a whole lot more transparency in medical billing. Overcharges run rampant and shouldn't be allowed. More transparency would make it easier to find the most egregious moneysinks and work to make them more cost-effective.

We also need to start paying less for prescription drugs and get skinnier as a nation.

Agree wholeheartedly. I really think a nutrition class should be a requirement during the senior year of college. It could go a long way to influencing people to make better choices.

I took a nutrition college course for fun this past summer and it opened my eyes to some of the garbage I was eating.

As for the overcharges, it just makes me wonder how many people 1) request a detailed billing and 2) actually fight some of the charges.

Puddles

Banned
I think it was teh_pwn who said, "It doesn't matter how you fund your healthcare system; it's going to cost a lot if everyone has metabolic syndrome."

Also, Plinko, what's the story behind your tag?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think it was teh_pwn who said, "It doesn't matter how you fund your healthcare system; it's going to cost a lot if everyone has metabolic syndrome."

Also, Plinko, what's the story behind your tag?

I was making the argument in the NFL thread that playoff teams should be seeded by record because of how ridiculous it is that a 9-7 team can host a playoff game against a team with a better record. I argued that division winners should still make the playoffs but that should by no means guarantee them a home game. It just spiraled from there.

Agree wholeheartedly. I really think a nutrition class should be a requirement during the senior year of college. It could go a long way to influencing people to make better choices.

I would take it a step further (farther?). I have both a Bachelors and Masters degree in the health field yet my high school only had a semester-long, completely optional Health class that was more about reproductive stuff than anything. So I think a Health class should be just as mandatory and emphasized as Math, Science, and English in high school. Reproductive/STD stuff, nutrition, anatomy/physiology stuff, exercise, and some time learning about the US healthcare system and maybe other systems around the world. Tell me that is less important that reading Romeo & Juliet.

Miletius

I would take it a step further (farther?). I have both a Bachelors and Masters degree in the health field yet my high school only had a semester-long, completely optional Health class that was more about reproductive stuff than anything. So I think a Health class should be just as mandatory and emphasized as Math, Science, and English in high school. Reproductive/STD stuff, nutrition, anatomy/physiology stuff, exercise, and some time learning about the US healthcare system and maybe other systems around the world. Tell me that is less important that reading Romeo & Juliet.

I think both are important, but I agree that there should be a Body Science class as a core requirement in High School. I personally would drop the Anatomy and Phis, since that can get pretty dense and just focus on Nutrition, Health Care, and healthy habits. The reproductive stuff they get during sex ed anyways (at least, that's how it was when I was in school).

I think both are important, but I agree that there should be a Body Science class as a core requirement in High School. I personally would drop the Anatomy and Phis, since that can get pretty dense and just focus on Nutrition, Health Care, and healthy habits. The reproductive stuff they get during sex ed anyways (at least, that's how it was when I was in school).

Yeah, maybe not hardcore Anat/Phys but some sort of cursory learning about the body systems and how it all connects and works. We had sex ed in middle school and got briefly covered again in high school. Taking Phys Ed was a requirement unless you completed a full season competing in a sport for the school but then parents of band members wanted Marching Band to count for that requirement.

Miletius

Yeah, maybe not hardcore Anat/Phys but some sort of cursory learning about the body systems and how it all connects and works. We had sex ed in middle school and got briefly covered again in high school. Taking Phys Ed was a requirement unless you completed a full season competing in a sport for the school but then parents of band members wanted Marching Band to count for that requirement.

Hey now, Marching Band is pretty intense (if you are carrying around drums or Tubas and stuff). God damn, I felt bad for the people that had to carry around those drums.

I mean, even the flute players presumably have to walk around a lot. I played the Trombone, so I guess middle of the road for me? I also played soccer too.... ;)

Hey now, Marching Band is pretty intense (if you are carrying around drums or Tubas and stuff). God damn, I felt bad for the people that had to carry around those drums.

I mean, even the flute players presumably have to walk around a lot. I played the Trombone, so I guess middle of the road for me? I also played soccer too.... ;)

I didn't mean to imply that marching band is akin to sitting band (though our tuba players did not follow the logic that those band members had a more intense instrument) but to compare their practice to what you would have done at your soccer (or any other sport) practice is ridiculous. My point was more that these parents were trying to excuse their kids from having to get an hour of exercise each day when it would only benefit them. But if all schools made it mandatory we would hear more bitching about 'nanny states' and other nonsense that gets throw at Michelle Obama for trying to promote physical activity.

Plinko

I had originally thought that but switched it to college for one reason: at that age, most high schoolers could care less and probably won't retain much.

Making 21 and 22 year old students take it during their last year of college would be much more beneficial, I think.

Miletius

I didn't mean to imply that marching band is akin to sitting band (though our tuba players did not follow the logic that those band members had a more intense instrument) but to compare their practice to what you would have done at your soccer (or any other sport) practice is ridiculous. My point was more that these parents were trying to excuse their kids from having to get an hour of exercise each day when it would only benefit them. But if all schools made it mandatory we would hear more bitching about 'nanny states' and other nonsense that gets throw at Michelle Obama for trying to promote physical activity.

I agree in most cases but I think the point I am trying to make is that if you can excuse a child from P.E. class for sports then theoretically if there was an activity that was just as physically invigorating as a sports club then a child should be able to obtain a waiver for P.E. by doing that activity as well. Now, band may and well not be that activity for some people, but it may be for others. Maybe it's just splitting hairs but I feel as though our school systems should be in the business of educating about healthy habits and not mandating P.E. sessions, even though they are beneficial to the vast majority of students.

Switching gears : Another article about lowish turnout.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/romney-wins-but-turnout-lags/#more-24869

Interestingly enough turnout in SC was up while turnout elsewhere was down. One other fact noted in the article is that turnout among self identified Republicans is down.

PoliGAF's biggest partisan problem is mixing up old-fashioned Burkean conservatism with modern American Republican conservatism. So, PoliGAF leftists, you believe most if not all conservatives, including independents, moderates, and those outside the US (a big fucking group if you ask me) believe that social class is a choice? I dare you to find one non-blog source that states this. You're insulting a wide-spanning ideology because of political science ignorance and sick propaganda shouted by the American left.

I had originally thought that but switched it to college for one reason: at that age, most high schoolers could care less and probably won't retain much.

Making 21 and 22 year old students take it during their last year of college would be much more beneficial, I think.

You aren't wrong but, as the thread on the 10 most educated countries shows us, not everyone goes to college and it is information that everyone should be exposed to. So maybe it should happen on both levels, with the college course being slightly more than an introduction.

Measley

A lot of people are missing the fact that Romney's gaffe also hit him on the conservative side. He said that he will "repair the safety net" for the poor. Rush Limbaugh was hammering him pretty hard over that on his radio show today, saying that the safety net is what keeps the poor in their position in society, and it needs to be dismantled. Yeah, he said that.

So for the left, its Romney not caring about the poor, and the for the right, its Romney wanting to preserve the social safety nets that conservatives want to dismantle.

PoliGAF's biggest....those outside the US (a big fucking group if you ask me)

Hi. This is a topic about US politics.

A lot of people are missing the fact that Romney's gaffe also hit him on the conservative side. He said that he will "repair the safety net" for the poor. Rush Limbaugh was hammering him pretty hard over that on his radio show today, saying that the safety net is what keeps the poor in their position in society, and it needs to be dismantled. Yeah, he said that.

So for the left, its Romney not caring about the poor, and the for the right, its Romney wanting to preserve the social safety nets that conservatives want to dismantle.

Romney wants it both ways, but he cant have that.

Its either "kill the poor" if he wants his GOP audience to cheer or "feed the poor" if he wants everyone else.

Puddles

Banned
PoliGAF's biggest partisan problem is mixing up old-fashioned Burkean conservatism with modern American Republican conservatism. So, PoliGAF leftists, you believe most if not all conservatives, including independents, moderates, and those outside the US (a big fucking group if you ask me) believe that social class is a choice? I dare you to find one non-blog source that states this. You're insulting a wide-spanning ideology because of political science ignorance and sick propaganda shouted by the American left.

I have a few issues with this post.

- Most of us are centrists on a worldwide scale. Someone like AlteredBeast, who seems to have a lot of disdain for modern Republicans, could possibly be considered a Burkean conservative. There are a few genuine leftists, like empty_vessel, but it's by no means the majority of this forum.
- Most of us have praised conservatives of past decades, like Bush I and Eisenhower.
- Conservativism in the United States in the colloquial sense is represented by the Republican party.

People respond to things that Republican politicians have gone on record as saying. No one is talking about AlteredBeast-conservatives when they talk about how the right blames the poor for their circumstances. We're talking about Republican politicians, including candidates for the Presidential nomination.

Cloudy

Banned
Sure didn't take him long to botch another statement that can be taken out of context. A few more of these and he's going to be doing nothing but explaining away these comments.
Maybe he just likes a good challenge and is never comfortable with a big lead : )

Well to be fair, his whole campaign against Obama is taking things out of context in addition to outright falsehoods. Good to see him getting some of his own medicine...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Panetta Sets End to Afghan Combat Role for U.S. in 2013
By ELISABETH BUMILLER
Published: February 1, 2012

0204-AFGHANISTAN-war-taliban-tribal-600_full_600.jpg

BRUSSELS — In a major milestone toward ending a decade of war in Afghanistan, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said on Wednesday that American forces would step back from a combat role there as early as mid-2013, more than a year before all American troops are scheduled to come home.

Even as the Pentagon pulls back in Afghanistan, it will remain “combat-ready,” Mr. Panetta said. Mr. Panetta cast the decision as an orderly step in a withdrawal process long planned by the United States and its allies, but his comments were the first time that the United States had put a date on stepping back from its central role in the war. The defense secretary’s words reflected the Obama administration’s eagerness to bring to a close the second of two grinding ground wars it inherited from the Bush administration.

Promising the end of the American combat mission in Afghanistan next year would also give Mr. Obama a certain applause line in his re-election stump speech this year.

Mr. Panetta said no decisions had been made about the number of American troops to be withdrawn in 2013, and he made clear that substantial fighting lies ahead. “It doesn’t mean that we’re not going to be combat-ready; we will be, because we always have to be in order to defend ourselves,” he told reporters on his plane on his way to a NATO meeting in Brussels, where Afghanistan is to be a central focus.

The United States has about 90,000 troops in Afghanistan, but 22,000 of them are due home by this fall. There has been no schedule set for the pace of the withdrawal of the 68,000 American troops who will remain, only that all are to be out by the end of 2014.

Mr. Panetta offered no details of what stepping back from combat would mean, saying only that the troops would move into an “advise and assist” role to Afghanistan’s security forces. Such definitions are typically murky, particularly in a country like Afghanistan, where American forces are spread widely among small bases across the desert, farmland and mountains, and where the native security forces have a mixed record of success at best.

The defense secretary offered the withdrawal of the United States from Iraq as a model. American troops there eventually pulled back to large bases and left the bulk of the fighting to the Iraqis.

At the same time, Mr. Panetta said the NATO discussions would also focus on a potential downsizing of Afghan security forces from 350,000 troops, largely because of the expense of maintaining such a large army. The United States and other NATO countries support those forces at a cost of around $6 billion a year, but financial crises in Europe are causing countries to balk at the bill.

“The funding is going to largely determine the kind of force we can sustain in the future,” Mr. Panetta said.

He and his team played down last week’s announcement by President Nicolas Sarkozy of France that his country would break with its NATO allies and accelerate the withdrawal of its forces in Afghanistan by pulling back its troops a year early, by the end of 2013. Pentagon officials said Mr. Sarkozy and the United States might be more in tune than it appeared, although they acknowledged confusion about the French president’s statement and said their goal was to sort it out at the NATO meeting.

“A lot of policy officials in Paris were scrambling” after Mr. Sarkozy’s announcement,” a senior American defense official said. “So getting exactly to what the French bottom line is hasn’t been easy for them, much less for us.” The official asked for anonymity because he was discussing the internal deliberations of another country.

Mr. Sarkozy made the announcement after an attack by a rogue Afghan soldier who killed four unarmed French soldiers on a training mission. There have been similar incidents of Afghan troops’ killing of American forces, most recently involving the death of a Marine in Helmand Province this week.

The senior defense official said the Americans considered the attacks as “isolated incidents,” although “obviously very disturbing.” He said vetting procedures for Afghan security forces were being reviewed.

Mr. Panetta said he would also seek to reassure NATO that although budget constraints and a focus on Asia were forcing the United States to withdraw two combat brigades — as many as 10,000 troops — from Europe, it was not abandoning its allies. The United States, he said, would try to make up some of the difference by rotating more troops in for training exercises in Europe.

#####################

Nobody care about the breaking news of the day? Can't wait to see what Mitt Romney has to say about this. Can a republican really run on keep our soldiers in Afghanistan longer than they've already been there and win real votes in the middle?

What do you guys think?

Hyperbole much?

Cripple is hyperbole. Mutilate is not because it technically is mutilation.

He could point to physiological reasons for his statement as opposed to quibbles about cosmetics.
Yes, Byakuya, just ignore the fact that circumcision reduced sexual stimulation in the penis. And also ignore the fact that there are multiple types of female circumcision, and even the ones that involve bloodletting and no amputation are illegal.

jcwat.gif

wat?

Yes, Byakuya, just ignore the fact that circumcision reduced sexual stimulation in the penis.

Actually, the medical community expresses pretty openly that they cannot come to conclusive determinations on the issue.

Romney seems to be pissing off a lot of people today. Now it's conservatives.
He just reiterated his support for automatically raising the minimum wage to keep up with inflation.

Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney renewed his support Wednesday for automatic increases in the federal minimum wage to keep pace with inflation, a position sharply at odds with traditional GOP business allies, conservatives and the party’s senior lawmakers…

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Guys, let's pretend for a second that Romney's little gaffe wasn't a gaffe at all and that we libs are just making a mountain out of a molehill (as usual).

Here's the more important point: What the hell is Romney going to do to strengthen the social safety net? Remember, this is a guy who wants to lower taxes on the rich, gut medicare, and INCREASE defense spending.

Actually, the medical community expresses pretty openly that they cannot come to conclusive determinations on the issue.

If you're willing to ignore the majority of polling questioning men who were circumcised as adults, sure. And also if you're willing to ignore the fact that no reputable health organization recommends neonatal circumcision.

You ignore a lot of things.

If you're willing to ignore the majority of polling questioning men who were circumcised as adults, sure. And also if you're willing to ignore the fact that no reputable health organization recommends neonatal circumcision.

You ignore a lot of things.

Why would they recommend a cosmetic surgery?

Why would I listen to polling over the scientific conclusions of urologists and other medical professionals?

You're an abrasive ass, who generally contributes nothing to the thread. Internet champ though.

re: Mittens latest verbal flub

The problem is when someone says "Poor People" it seems many only think of welfare queens, homeless, and druggies. I think a lot of people (including many people in this thread) don't realize just how many Americans are near the poverty line. Over 15% of Americans are considered to be under the poverty line. Many of the people you see working in retail and as cashiers are working near minimum wage and often only part-time hours (so no benefits). The "poor" is far more encompassing than some realize. Mittens is treating them like they're just a tiny 1-2% like the Rich that gets along fine.

It just shows how much he (and some in this thread) are disconnected from the rest of America. The safety nets are also crucial to preventing the middle & lower-middle class from completely sliding into serious poverty in hard times. What do you think a middle class guy has to rely on when he gets a pink slip or faces severe healthcare bills which his insurance company won't cover? Without an adequate safety net, these people will struggle greatly to rebound.

Why would they recommend a cosmetic surgery?

Why would I listen to polling over the scientific conclusions of urologists and other medical professionals?
1. It has been shown that the foreskin contains over 20,000 sexually receptive nerve endings. Removing that lessens sexual pleasure. That is a simple fact and the polling reinforces that.

You're an abrasive ass, who generally contributes nothing to the thread. Internet champ though.

I called you wrong. Because you are. Get over it.

1. It has been shown that the foreskin contains over 20,000 sexually receptive nerve endings. Removing that lessens sexual pleasure. That is a simple fact and the polling reinforces that.

I called you wrong. Because you are. Get over it.

Yet you didn't refute what I just said. Go start threads for this and your religious shit and keep it out of poli gaf. Honestly don't know if I've ever seen you post about politics.

Yet you didn't refute what I just said. Go start threads for this and your religious shit and keep it out of poli gaf.
?

I didn't bring up anything about religion in my posts talking to you. That was you and you alone.

And the fact that circumcision removes sexually receptive skin tissue does refute what you just said.

The problem is when someone says "Poor People" it seems many only think of welfare queens, homeless, and druggies. I think a lot of people (including many people in this thread) don't realize just how many Americans are near the poverty line. Over 15% are considered to be under the poverty line. Many of the people you see working in retail and as cashiers are working near minimum wage and often only part-time hours (so no benefits). The "poor" is far more encompassing than some realize. Mittens is treating them like they're just a tiny 1-2% like the Rich that gets along fine.

It just shows how much he (and some in this thread) are disconnected from the rest of America. The safety nets are also crucial to preventing the middle & lower-middle class from completely sliding into serious poverty in hard times. What do you think a middle class guy has to rely on when he gets a pink slip or faces severe healthcare bills which his insurance company won't cover? Without an adequate safety net, these people will struggle greatly to rebound.

It seems you missed Romney's entire point. He wants to keep people from reaching the "very poor" state by encouraging economic growth, providing more job opportunities and, thus, reducing the need for the safety net. It's pretty simple really. I don't know why people are having a hard time with this. Of course saying it is a lot harder than doing it (especially when you put your foot in your mouth)

Door2Dawn

Banned

The problem is when someone says "Poor People" it seems many only think of welfare queens, homeless, and druggies. I think a lot of people (including many people in this thread) don't realize just how many Americans are near the poverty line. Over 15% of Americans are considered to be under the poverty line. Many of the people you see working in retail and as cashiers are working near minimum wage and often only part-time hours (so no benefits). The "poor" is far more encompassing than some realize. Mittens is treating them like they're just a tiny 1-2% like the Rich that gets along fine.

Pretty much this.

Chris Matthews lays out what I think about Romeny pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOhE5e6p9Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom