• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps3 controller > 360 controller?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I have never liked the Playstation controller, never liked the analog stick layout.

Well when you've been using something for a decade straight it's not too big of a stretch to say you'd be more accustomed to it.

Raistlin

SPEA said:
How can a controller by better or worse for rpg's or adventures? That makes absolutely no sense.

At least for RPG's ... the D-pad actually can be a pain in the ass for menus. Actually, that is true for any genre that uses some sort of menu system (weapon selection, etc) with the D-pad.

I never really liked the misplaced sticks on the dualshock and I just couldn't find a comfortable grip. Theres not enough room for three fingers on the handles and using four fingers on the shoulderbuttons feels odd.

womfalcs3

Banned
I like the Xbox controller with certain games, and I like the PlayStation controller with other games

e.g.:

- Xbox controller preferred: Tiger Woods PGA Tour, most shooters.
- PS controller preferred: GTA, racing.

EDIT: Replace shooters with "FPS".

whitehawk

Banned
godhandiscen said:
The 360 controller is better and there is no contest imo.
This.

The 360 controller is much better. Maybe God of War works a bid better with the Dualshock, but It's probably because I'm just used to playing that game on the dualshock. If it ever came out on the 360/PC that is I could get used to it.

JimiNutz

Banned
Himuro said:
I hate PS3's triggers, shitty analog sticks, analog stick placement. 360's controller is good for all games except 2d games. It's main and only flaw is the lack of a good dpad.

I bought Sonic on XBLA and simply used the sticks. Game worked fine.

womfalcs3

Banned
Cool Hand Luke said:
I never really liked the misplaced sticks on the dualshock and I just couldn't find a comfortable grip. Theres not enough room for three fingers on the handles and using four fingers on the shoulderbuttons feels odd.

I don't use 4 fingers, I use 2. I just alternate one finger between X1 and X2... with X = L,R

Uh, it's pretty much just personal preference. I prefer SSX, Madden, fighters, and Tony Hawk (just off the top of my head) on Dual Shock and racers and console FPS on 360. I think the 360 pad is generally more ergonomic, but the button layout (mainly cause of L/R buttons) of the Dual Shock is sometimes better.

Eh I like both. I'm used to the PS controller since it's basically the same design since DS1. The 360 is great as well. 360's is slightly better for FPS games, but PS3's also has its advantages.

bryehn

I like the DS3 better for one reason: NO DAMN BATTERIES or packs to buy!

...i hate buying batteries.

The 360 controller is still really sweet as far as I'm concerned though. It's tough and it has awesome triggers.

Norml

Windu said:
I have never liked the Playstation controller, never liked the analog stick layout.

PS3's analog placement is more natural.When I put my hand on 360 controller my thumb naturally lays on the dpad,you essentially have to use muscle to stay in the spot meaning not as comfortable and not as good IMO.

I was probably one of the few that was looking forward to the boomerang PS3 controller.

Cool Hand Luke said:
So did I, but as I wrote the grip became very cramped because the handles ends and the controller start to curve where I want to place my third finger.

Ah yes. The classic symptoms of the Playstation Claw.

playstation%20claw%20cropped.jpg

bryehn

Norml said:
PS3's analog placement is more natural.When I put my hand on 360 controller my thumb naturally lays on the dpad,you essentially have to use musscle to stay in the spot meaning not as comfortable and not as good IMO.

I actually find the opposite with the DS2/3, maybe it's from playing PSP a lot, but my thumbs naturally gravitate to the d-pad & face buttons.

Razor554

The only thing i enjoy more with 360 controller is FPS games. All other genre's are better played on PS3 controller imo.

womfalcs3 said:
I don't use 4 fingers, I use 2. I just alternate one finger between X1 and X2... with X = L,R

You would be surprised how many people use 4 fingers for this. I even made a topic about it and it was stunning that people were so divided about it.

My6cats

Banned
FortunateSon said:
I'm just saying, why is everyone saying the opposite. I own both. Here's the thing, I hate the Ps3 triggers so the Ps3 controllers are basically a horrible controller when it comes to fps whereas the 360 controllers are perfect for that but horrible for everything else.

Holy god, I played DMC4 for 360 at my friends house and the 360 controller did not feel right, it isn't perfect for rpg's, action, adventures, racing, etc... Whereas the Ps3 controller feels good for all this other genre's. I bought MDC4 for Ps3 incase you're wondering. I did buy Burnout: Paradise x2 though.

I will give another good example is, how can people play Burnout: Paradise on a 360 controller? Are you shitting me? I think the Ps3 controllers works perfectly for that game.

So this thread asks you, is 360 the better overall controller or the Ps3? Or is it depending on the specific of genre?

I disagree with you. I own both game machines, and I think the 360 controller is fine. I can play DMC4 on the 360 as well as I can on the PS2. I see no problem with RPGs using the 360. Half the time you use just the 4 face buttons. The one thing I dislike about the sixaxis compared to the PS2 is the two top trigger buttons. They don't feel right. Tio me the controllers are the same in the end. People saying PS2 are just saying it becuase they used a P;aystaion brand controller for the last two generations. I started with an Atari 2600 joystick, so I am used to controllers being different for most video machines.

Robert R1

Banned
The 360 controller has a terrible dpad but everything else is much better on it. The fact it doesn't lose sync helps a ton!

FortunateSon said:
So this thread asks you, is 360 the better overall controller or the Ps3? Or is it depending on the specific of genre?
Or the person playing it?

I've never stopped playing a game because I couldn't get around the controls but I did have some 'I wonder if this would work better with DS3 action buttons or X360 triggers' moments.

Most developers are smart enough to avoid the crappy buttons for important commands and use a good standard setup.

Bigfoot

I've always hated the PlayStation controllers. They are too small, uncomfortable, and they are symmetrical for no reason other than asthetics. The 360 controller is better simply because the PS3 controller sucks (since Sony stuck with the same old design).

The GC controller may have looked funny, but it was the most comfortable controller ever (aside from the stupid Z button).

Kestastrophe said:
I was probably one of the few that was looking forward to the boomerang PS3 controller.

Ah yes. The classic symptoms of the Playstation Claw.
Yeah, I can't do the claw anymore. I got tired of justifying the death of my hand.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
DS3 Analog sticks are as bad as 360's dpad.
PS3's trigger buttons annoy me(fuck those L2 and R2) then 360's main buttons and home button.

But it doesn't matter which genre I'm playing. Playing for an hour instead of whining will make me do good enough with either controller...be it COD-DMC

-viper-

Banned
Whats SO bad about the analog stick placement on the PS3 controller?

THE ONLY issues are the convex sticks and L2/R2 buttons. Thats all.

tha_con

Banned
Himuro said:
This is a discussion forum. Why don't you just log off right now and don't bother posting?

This was an interesting discussion the first time it surfaced...in 2006. From then on, it's been nothing more than opinion bashing and fighting between people who, like human beings, seem to have different preferences from one another.

What you like, I may not like. What he likes, I may not like. What she likes, you may not like.

Trying to convince someone else you are right and they are wrong never works. This stops being a discussion once you start providing 'evidence' as to why someone is wrong, or in what way they are wrong, or what makes your preference more 'valid' than eveyrone eles's.

I honestly wish that MOD's at GAF would ban these threads. IMO, seeing these threads is far far worse than seeing the 500th LTTP thread for SotC.

Ninja Kn1ght said:
The DS3 is pretty damn awesome. The extra weight makes a hige difference to me with regard to the comfort of the controller. So, yeah I would say the DS3 is better than the 360 controller for some games, DMC4 for example. I don't like the triggers on the DS3 though but they're better than the Sixaxis originals.

The 360's DPAD is completely useless.

Are you using a different DS3 than I am? The triggers seem exactly the same to me.

Spoit

FortunateSon said:
It works! I mean if it was that bad, you wouldn't think Sony would have changed its design.
Except that the point is that while they do try to add stuff, they always end up just being duct-taped on afterthoughts, rather than actually changing to controller to make it work. While I would make a crack about rumble/motion sensing, instead, the best example is probably the analogue sticks.

Actually, I do have a question. How many of those who are saying that the playstation controller is ultimate have grown up with PSs as their primary consoles, as opposed to say the Snes or segas?

I dont have a big problem with either controller. I prefer the dual shock 3 to the 360 controller though on most games. The d-pad on the 360 controller has actually affected the gameplay for me at times. It can get really annoying when you are trying to hit one direction and the controller registers another direction. The dual shock 3, while maybe not being as comfortable as the 360 controller for some games, never has affected the gameplay for me. The 360 controller is great for FPS though.

tha_con

Banned
Spoit said:
Except that the point is that while they do try to add stuff, they always end up just being duct-taped on afterthoughts, rather than actually changing to controller to make it work. While I would make a crack about rumble/motion sensing, instead, the best example is probably the analogue sticks.

Actually, I do have a question. How many of those who are saying that the playstation controller is ultimate have grown up with PSs as their primary consoles, as opposed to say the Snes or segas?

I grew up on the NES, SNES, Genesis, later followed by the N64 and PSOne, then PS2, and after a long while, the Xbox and Gamecube.

I have this crazy ability to adapt to the controller I'm using without crying, complaining, cramping, freaking out, or saying a company is being too stubborn to cater to my very individual needs.

It's really really impressive.

I can only play RPGs on the superior Dualshock 3. On the 360's pad I find myself reaching for the "X" button but then it cancels what I want to do and I have to remind myself it's not a Playstation cross. It's infuriating, and unwieldy every 20-30 seconds that I find myself needing to use the face buttons. It makes me want to crucify Microsoft's controller on Sony's "X".

Also, the D-Pad is terrible. What if I feel like neglecting any controller improvements in the past decade and want to play in the most unwieldy and memorable control scheme?

Rapping Granny said:
COD4 - 360 CONTROLLER BY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR.

I recently went over to a friends to play some COD4 (PS3 version)..

I just dont see how people play FPS's with Sony's Controllers.

DS3 w/triggers? p l e a s e.

Dyno

I like my 360 controller better.

Those triggers are sweet for shooters and the overall size/weight feels perfect. As well the texture of their plastic makes for a good grip.

The L2/R2 buttons on my Sixaxis are design failures and this is evident because in most PS3 games I have those buttons are relegated to secondary functions that aren't usually vital in tense moments.

As well it's a tad too small for my caucasian hands and the smooth plastic means I have to hold tighter for a good grip. Both factors create hand cramping.

And then let's not get into the blutooth connectivity thing. The DS3 cannot come to NA soon enough.

Norml

Spoit said:

PS3 sticks are better.Its more comfortable when playing because the power it takes me to move forward on PS3 is the same of just putting my thumb on 360's spot.

pswii60

I much prefer the 360 controller for everything apart from fighting games. I've got big hands, and believe me, I got serious cramp trawling though Uncharted and Ratchet. 360 controller is just far more ergonomic and fits in the hand so much better. Obviously FPS and Racing games are the real strength of the 360 controller, but I just find it all round a far superior experience.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Threi said:
hay guyz lets share opinions for no reason
Right, good call. What are they thinking "discussing" things in a "Gaming Discussion" forum?

On topic, I prefer the tighter feel and asymmetrical layout of the 360's analog sticks, while the PS3 obviously wins the d-pad comparison.

If we're getting really finicky, I prefer the PS3's lower-profile PS button to the 360's dome-like guide button, but the guide button wins in terms of functionality (ring of lights indicating controller assignment and on/off status). Would the 360 controller's auto power-off feature be considered a function of the controller or the console? I certainly wish the PS3/DS3 had that.

Edit: Ah, yeah, and the triggers. 360>DS3>SIXAXIS

Philthy

As crap as the 360s D-Pad is, I'd take it any day over the PS1/PS2/PS3 controllers D-Pad. Separate buttons are the absolute most suck thing to have been put on any controller to date. Other than that crazy NES MAX thumb ..thing.

Top Bottom