• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData:PlaystationVR will be $400-600, estimates 38million VR devices sold in 2016

onQ123

I don't see the price of OR as a reason to panic about PSVR price because to me it's just the PS Move/DualShock4 with a screen, optics , headgear , more leds & a splitter/conversion box. no Bluetooth or battery needed the screen isn't a touch screen & it's small.

Not as simple as I put it but I don't see anything that would make PSVR $400 - $600.

Nafai1123

Banned
6.6 million PC VR sold? Isn't that like over 40% market share of the PC population capable of running VR? Seems very high, as does that PSVR price estimate.

Planet

Read, people! Those numbers include the card board boxes they "sell" for free as advertising gimmick...

Still never 6.6 million at 599 or more.

border

Guy must be pretty pissed at the 600 dollar / 700 euro price point of the Oculus now.

6.6 million, are you crazy?

I think a lot of their data is based on consumer surveys.....which is not bad, but it means they will be subject to whatever survey respondents' perceived price of the products was. It was only a couple months ago that people thought Oculus would slide in at $300-400. I imagine a lot more people said "Yes I am planning on purchasing an Oculus" back then.

I wish i could understand this hype for VR, because i absolutely don't. In terms of gaming i strongly believe it will be fun for only a few genres, definitely not every genre. Let's say you come back from a hard day at work, tired as hell and everything. You grab that wireless controller and sit down on your couch and just.....chill? Or are you going to put that thing on hour head and play like that?

I bet it will be interesting and fun for once in a while, maybe in the weekend or when you have plenty of time on your hands. Are people actually going to spend 400-600 dollars on such things? I sure don't see the casual gamer do that, maybe a few hardcore gamers. It should be interesting to see how things unfold this year.

Mifune

Mehmber
Anyone thinking the PSVR will come in anywhere within the $250-$350 range will be severely disappointed. This a base $400 device, mark my words, and quote this in the future.

I think people just want to be disappointed and proclaim it DOA, frankly.

psylah

*Googles cardboard VR*

DODOcase_VR5_1024x1024.jpg

Wait, someone tell me this is a joke, right?

This is basically what Gear VR is.

Viruz

Then it's around 400€

But around 400€ is suicide, good luck with 600€ Oculus and even 400€ Psvr.
You already...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
$399-$449. I'm betting Sony will have realistic expectations for the device (aka, low sales, premium price). Customers should as well. Expect gimmicky modes in games for PSVR and few dedicated games.

Man, this whole thing feels like Move/Kinect all over again.

HotHamBoy

I think $399 is reasonable to expect. Unlike Oculus, Sony gets licensing fees. They've proven in the past that they are willing to take a loss on hardware if it gets it into homes. With them being in such a strong postion in the console space they are likely to price it at cost.

Personally, I'm hoping it will come in around $300-350, but it's going to be a tough sell to the mainstream at any price north of $200, which won't happen, so maybe they'll price to profit off the early adopters after all.

RK128

If the PS VR is 300 bucks with bundled games or if there is a PS4 bundle for 500$ with PS VR, a bundled game or two and a PS Camera, then I could see it selling a lot.

I just don't see the PS VR being 400$ and doing well without a lot of advertising, really good bundles and a strong launch line up.

I wish i could understand this hype for VR, because i absolutely don't. In terms of gaming i strongly believe it will be fun for only a few genres, definitely not every genre. Let's say you come back from a hard day at work, tired as hell and everything. You grab that wireless controller and sit down on your couch and just.....chill? Or are you going to put that thing on hour head and play like that?

I bet it will be interesting and fun for once in a while, maybe in the weekend or when you have plenty of time on your hands. Are people actually going to spend 400-600 dollars on such things? I sure don't see the casual gamer do that, maybe a few hardcore gamers. It should be interesting to see how things unfold this year.

Have you tried it yet?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nonsense.

VR is a loooooong game. Sony is not looking for it to be a sales juggernaut out of the gate. It's like a whole new division for SCE. These things take time.

I didn't say VR was DOA. I said "This thing"--the Playstation VR. It would be DOA.

They clearly will continue to upgrade the tech and release another version for PS5.

Lasty95

I'm expected this to come in 2 SKUs when it's released:

Based unit - Just the VR headset and breakout box (For people who already own a camera and or move controllers)

Bundle - Headset (plus breakout box), PS 4 camera, 2 Move controllers.

I think the difference in cost between the two will be $100. But, after the Rift pricing this morning, I honestly have no idea of where the pricing will fall.

I dunno, maybe.

But will enough people out there really have both camera and a pair of Move controller knocking around to warrant a separate pack being available?

HotHamBoy

$399-$449. I'm betting Sony will have realistic expectations for the device (aka, low sales, premium price). Customers should as well. Expect gimmicky modes in games for PSVR and few dedicated games.

Man, this whole thing feels like Move/Kinect all over again.

No way. You can play a regular game that is designed with considerations for VR with a regular DS4 and it's still really impressive and transformative of the experience. Honestly, the ability to move the camera by moving your head is a game changer. Looking all around you and being "inside" the game is plenty amazing. There's also 360 video and 3D movies to consider. The latter is much better in VR than it is with glasses.

The Virtual Boy launched at $179.99 back in 1995, but this is real VR like in the Lawnmower Man, so I don't envision it pricing any less than $399. I'm jumping in at $199-249 lol

joe2187

Banned
Im just gonna sit on the sidelines and watch while VR slowly crashes and burns like all the other gimmicky tech devices over the years.

People didn't care enough to wear glasses for 3D TVs.

People aint gonna care enough to wear giant boxes on their heads either.

z3phon

$299 would get a lot of people who weren't planning on getting it come on board.

Im just gonna sit on the sidelines and watch while VR slowly crashes and burns like all the other gimmicky tech devices over the years.
People didn't care enough to wear glasses for 3D TVs.
People aint gonna care enough to wear giant boxes on their heads either.
I sorta have the same opinion but than again with how much so many people have invested I find it so hard to imagine it failing.
Especially with the high cost to entry I can't see it picking up as fast and some people predict.

jaypah

Yes, after a long day I do come home and put on a VR headset be it the GearVR or the DK2. Shit, after a long day I'm probably MORE inclined to visit immersive fantasy worlds or drive around in a sports car in the rain. VR is a great escape tool.

As for the price of PSVR I guess $400 seems reasonable although I wouldn't be shocked if it higher or lower by $50. From impressions they didn't seem to skimp on it or build a janky piece of shit so yeah, I can see $400.

Kintaro

No way. You can play a regular game that is designed with considerations for VR with a regular DS4 and it's still really impressive and transformative of the experience. Honestly, the ability to move the camera by moving your head is a game changer. Looking all around you and being "inside" the game is plenty amazing. There's also 360 video and 3D movies to consider. The latter is much better in VR than it is with glasses.

You have more faith than I do. Not to mention the little fact that unless Sony throws PSVR in every PS4 demo in every retailer they can (expensive), getting people to blind buy VR is a huge challenge. Not to mention the household challenges of families accepting a helmet in addition to their consoles.

Petrae

I'm in the $400 camp. $200 less than Oculus would make PSVR look more attractive and has the potential to pull in a few more consumers in addition to the traditional early adopter group.

What I'll be curious to see is the pricing for PS4/PSVR bundles. $700, maybe?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Didn't Sony say the PSVR will be cheaper than the PS4?

They said it will be priced like a new console. Of course that was back in summer. Since then they have added more processing power to the breakout box and we never knew if they meant with or without camera plus Move controllers. And Oculus said not too long ago they were targeting the 200 to 400 ballpark. These things change constantly, all we know for sure is if Oculus is selling the Rift for 599 at cost PSVR won't be anywhere below 300, 400 is likely and 500 not out of the question.

HotHamBoy

You have more faith than I do. Not to mention the little fact that unless Sony throws PSVR in every PS4 demo in every retailer they can (expensive), getting people to blind buy VR is a huge challenge. Not to mention the household challenges of families accepting a helmet in addition to their consoles.

I dont need faith, I have a Gear VR and it's awesome. It's also going to pale in comparison to the PS VR, hence optimism and excitement.

Fisty

38 million? Yeah if you include cardboard... but thats like including TV wall-mount assembly sales with TV sales.

Hopefully Sony doesnt see Oculus pricing as a chance to shoot a little higher. Sub-$400 could easily be offset with all the digital-only offerings that PSVR will bring, and putting a sub-$400 VR headset next to a sub-$400 home console on Walmart shelves when your closest VR equivalent costs $600 without hardware... thats just good business sense.

Jerm411

Just my opinion but if PSVR is a penny more than $399 it's gonna be a massive flop...still think $299 is the perfect price.

GrayDock

I think (hope) that the PSVR Helmet + hdmi box will be $400.00, but the bundle with camera + 2 moves + earphone(?) will add $100.00 easily.

I'll bite the helmet+box for $400.00, but the full bundle will need to be $300.00 to be popular.

Mindlog

Someone please create a chart with VR headset sales over the past three decades.
The expectations for 'success' and 'failure' are so incredibly incongruent with reality.

"We expect that market to grow 12,000% YoY. FY 2017 we can expect VR to sell just north of 450 million devices. FY 2018 projections put VR sales at 54 billion devices, but we remain cautious as every man, woman and child may not actually be able to afford 7+ VR devices annually and the market could slump accordingly."

I think $399 is reasonable to expect. Unlike Oculus, Sony gets licensing fees. They've proven in the past that they are willing to take a loss on hardware if it gets it into homes. With them being in such a strong postion in the console space they are likely to price it at cost.

Personally, I'm hoping it will come in around $300-350, but it's going to be a tough sell to the mainstream at any price north of $200, which won't happen, so maybe they'll price to profit off the early adopters after all.

Pretty much what I was in the middle of typing.

We may be way off but my guess at the moment is $349.
$400 seems fair-ish and what I think the most likely while $299 would be the sweet spot that would get a lot of spur purchases but I don't know if they can really do it.

Like you said, I think that range might be doable uniquely for Sony thanks to having the advantage of making money on the games, plus they've been building both the Camera and Moves (and dualshocks) for years and they would also have the easiest time making a pack that doesn't include either of them since both are already for sale.

HotHamBoy

I have a feeling that most of the naysayers have not tried VR and that those that have haven't spent quality time with polished experiences. The comparisons to motion control and Kinect are telling.

RiverKwai

I'm a pretty big proponent of VR experiences, but if the base PSVR launches at $400+, I'm gonna wait a year and see how it goes.

Nothing I've seen or heard about what the breakout box is for or the components inside the PSVR that would make me think it costs MORE than a PS4.

Kintaro

I have a feeling that most of the naysayers have not tried VR and that those that have haven't spent quality time with polished experiences. The comparisons to motion control and Kinect are telling.

I have experience with PSVR. Demoed at our GameStop Manager's Conference. Thanks. =)

HotHamBoy

Initial "wow" factor does not necessarily translate to people wanting to use it for extended gaming sessions.

Check out the Gear VR gaf thread and the subreddit.

I don't just game, I watch entire 3D movies with the damn thing.

How much would you pay for a TV that made you feel like you were in a movie theater? But thats not all...

Top Bottom